Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Do You Believe that God Exists?

Feb 19, 2015 12:54 AM

kavik_ryx said:
never crossed my mind that there are more non-believers.

Thats not everywhere the case, but it probably is on MAL.

Feb 19, 2015 1:03 AM

I used to believe in God, but not anymore.

How come bad people get blessed in life while people who do everything with effort don't even get what they want. Where is the justice there? Where is God?
There's a limit to how much a person can improve on his own. Rivals acknowledge each other and compete to get better. That's why they can train so hard. That's why they continue to improve. And they will always far exceed our expectations. -Coach Kataoka (Diamond no Ace S2 8)

Feb 19, 2015 1:20 AM
violity said:

How come bad people get blessed in life while people who do everything with effort don't even get what they want. Where is the justice there? Where is God?

cold facts of reality....

Feb 19, 2015 1:22 AM
Nope. I tried to force myself to believe many times, but I never could. I'm happy just living life not worrying about any of that stuff.

Feb 19, 2015 1:25 AM

violity said:

So you stopped believing in a god because you didn't get what you want? Tsk tsk, such selfishness.

Feb 19, 2015 1:28 AM

violity said:

bb u got like no faith :(

Feb 19, 2015 2:12 AM

yogashi said:
kavik_ryx said:
never crossed my mind that there are more non-believers.

Thats not everywhere the case, but it probably is on MAL.
i know for sure. this topic was created on mal forum, thus i will never assume that its the same worldwide. : )

Feb 19, 2015 2:15 AM

I believe in God, I follow Catholic Christianity and I have no time 4 debate

Feb 19, 2015 2:20 AM

Remv_quevav said:
I believe in God and I follow Catholic Christianity and I have no time 4 debate
there shouldn't be a debate between an atheist and a christian in the first place. simply because when debating you use logic. it seems that faith hates logic. if not how can you prove something that's unprovable by using logic.

Feb 19, 2015 2:25 AM

kavik_ryx said:
Remv_quevav said:
I believe in God and I follow Catholic Christianity and I have no time 4 debate
there shouldn't be a debate between an atheist and a christian in the first place. simply because when debating you use logic. it seems that faith hates logic. if not how can you prove something that's unprovable by using logic.

no, u can use logic to defend faith but 4 now i hab no time to defend it coz i hab many homework lol
Modified by AIDSKrillex, Feb 19, 2015 2:31 AM

Feb 19, 2015 2:37 AM

Remv_quevav said:
kavik_ryx said:

no, u can use logic to defend faith but 4 now i hab no time to defend it coz i hab many homework lol
the debate is not about defending faith, but proving your god exist. well if your focus is on defending faith then that's a different story.

Feb 19, 2015 3:07 AM
When I was a kid, I fell from a bike and cut my knee really bad. Few minutes later, I banged that exact same spot against the door when someone opened it. From that day forward, I knew that God does not exist.

Feb 19, 2015 3:20 AM

The relation between intelligence and religiosity is correlated with numerous studies determining high IQ academics & children and people shun religion. The higher a person is educated the less likely they will believe in God and follow a religion, atheism is also correlated with advanced degree's.
Modified by Cosmicbeing, Feb 19, 2015 3:34 AM

Feb 19, 2015 3:27 AM

I believe.
{Or were they created of nothing, or were they themselves the creators?} (At-tur:35)

Feb 19, 2015 6:47 AM

Yes :3

And he was BLACK!

Feb 19, 2015 7:00 AM

I am a Pragmatic Agnostic, meaning that I believe in a "God, but not an anthromorphic God. That meaning not a God that takes care of humanity, or some God that you can pray to.

I don't care if he looks like a Flying Spaghetti Monster, this "God", whether it be merely a particle, may somewhat exist.

Feb 19, 2015 7:16 AM

Btw, I just realized that the pronunciation of Nietzsche is close to Nee-chan.

Feb 19, 2015 7:19 AM

Cosmicbeing said:
The relation between intelligence and religiosity is correlated with numerous studies determining high IQ academics & children and people shun religion. The higher a person is educated the less likely they will believe in God and follow a religion, atheism is also correlated with advanced degree's.

yeah but honestly you see a lot of smart/cool people believing too, if you try to make theistic people out to be less intelligent (or crazy...) then you are really asking to get burned.

Feb 19, 2015 7:21 AM

Cosmicbeing said:
You're saying religious people are only so because they are either uneducated or stupid, I just wanted to say it in less words so that they can understand it - joke.

Feb 19, 2015 7:32 AM
Aria-da-Capo said:

really? i thought it was pronounce "nie-each-shh"

Feb 19, 2015 7:33 AM

somethingweird said:
Aria-da-Capo said:

i always say 'nee-chee"

Feb 19, 2015 7:34 AM

yes

Feb 19, 2015 7:35 AM
I do not believe that the world was intelligently designed. It's kinda ridiculous when you think about it... One planet out of all the billions upon billions of planets and stars out there have life and a meaning.

The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right? - Contact (1997)

Either you believe what we humans have made up to pretty much scare people in order to get power, or you don't.

This guy is a perfect example

Feb 19, 2015 7:43 AM

RockChan_ said:
somethingweird said:

i always say 'nee-chee"

Yeah, I said close
I pronunce it nee-tch-e (tch as in catch, e as in Italian's salve, english don't have such a phonetic vowel)

Feb 19, 2015 8:22 AM

AzureDaora said:
I am a Pragmatic Agnostic, meaning that I believe in a "God, but not an anthromorphic God. That meaning not a God that takes care of humanity, or some God that you can pray to.

I don't care if he looks like a Flying Spaghetti Monster, this "God", whether it be merely a particle, may somewhat exist.
Thats not what pragmatic agnostic means from what ive heard. Pragmatic agnostic is another word for an apatheist. Its someone who doesnt care about god being real or not and doesnt really think about it.

Feb 19, 2015 8:24 AM

Haduki said:
I believe that God is Exist, yes.
Objective said:

Whether I believe god has an influence on the world is an entirely different question.

Feb 19, 2015 8:25 AM

Gravaged said:
RockChan_ said:

i think it's a valid answer, one should not have to be forced into a dichotomy, especially when it comes to the question of God. It's like saying 'both.'

I should have rephrased my post. What I meant, rather, was that it wasn't viable given its present form. The solution, then, would be to offer four options, where gnosticism/agnosticism exists as a modifier of theism/atheism:
-Gnostic theist
-Agnostic theist
-Gnostic atheist
-Agnostic atheist

Though these terms are reductionist, and one could throw in religious/irreligious into the mix as well (deist would then be a viable option), they more adequately describe the spectrum of views on the topic of the existence of a god.

i guess, but realize that not everyhing in life is a poll, and people shouldn't be semantically forced into a corner...give them time.

also those terms are indeed reductionist, as 'gnosis' in addition to meaning 'knowing' also means 'a oneness of self with knowledge,' hence the more 'mystical' nature of gnostic christianity.

Feb 19, 2015 8:25 AM

Cosmicbeing said:
Actually there is a correlation between social economic class and education level having a link to IQ and that is partially why agnostic and atheists are higher up. Poor people feel more need for a god, while rich people money is their god.

Feb 19, 2015 8:29 AM

traed said:
Cosmicbeing said:
Actually there is a correlation between social economic class and education level having a link to IQ and that is partially why agnostic and atheists are higher up. Poor people feel more need for a god, while rich people money is their god.

Post the study.

Feb 19, 2015 8:33 AM

I'm a Muslim. I believe in God. My views on God are however something out of the convention. Too deep to explain.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 19, 2015 8:38 AM

Borgov said:
traed said:

Post the study.

Heres just 3 of the first page of a quick google scholar search~

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289611000912
High levels of religiosity have been linked to lower levels of intelligence in a number of recent studies. These results have generated both controversy and theoretical interest. Here in a large sample of US adults we address several issues that restricted the generalizability of these previous results. We measured six dimensions of religiosity (rather than just one or two), along with a multi-scale instrument to assess general intelligence. We also controlled for the influence of the personality trait openness on facets of religious belief and practice. The results indicated that lower intelligence is most strongly associated with higher levels of fundamentalism, but also modestly predicts central components of religiosity such as a sense of religious identification and private religious practice. Secondly, we found that a higher level of openness – often assumed to lead to lower religiosity – is weakly associated with reduced fundamentalism but with increased religious mindfulness, private religious practice, religious support, and spirituality. These new results provide a framework for understanding the links between reasoning and faith.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=5794972&fileId=S0021932009003368
The origin of values and preferences is an unresolved theoretical question in behavioural and social sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis, derived from the Savanna Principle and a theory of the evolution of general intelligence, suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values and preferences (such as liberalism and atheism and, for men, sexual exclusivity) than less intelligent individuals, but that general intelligence may have no effect on the acquisition and espousal of evolutionarily familiar values. Macro-level analyses show that nations with higher average intelligence are more liberal (have greater highest marginal individual tax rate and, as a result, lower income inequality), less religious (a smaller proportion of the population believes in God or considers themselves religious) and more monogamous. The average intelligence of a population appears to be the strongest predictor of its level of liberalism, atheism and monogamy.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289608000238
Evidence is reviewed pointing to a negative relationship between intelligence and religious belief in the United States and Europe. It is shown that intelligence measured as psychometric g is negatively related to religious belief. We also examine whether this negative relationship between intelligence and religious belief is present between nations. We find that in a sample of 137 countries the correlation between national IQ and disbelief in God is 0.60.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists-according-to-analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-studies-stretching-back-over-decades-8758046.html
Modified by Cosmicbeing, Feb 19, 2015 8:42 AM

Feb 19, 2015 8:38 AM

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
I'm a Muslim. I believe in God. My views on God are however something out of the convention. Too deep to explain.

More like it was brought upon on a young age with constant saturday/sunday classes in memorizing the quran, constant reminding to pray five times a day, forced to come to Eid Mubarak and going to Friday prayer where you hear the same old lectures over and over again.

What am I in the ballpark there?

Feb 19, 2015 8:49 AM

Cosmicbeing said:
studies

ya well, lest we forget, those studies still don't apply to whether the existence of a deity is true or not, and neither does much of what the atheist crowd is saying, instead focused on casting spiritual people in a light of being weak minded or psychologically needy... notice that for people who do believe in a higher power, analyzing the mind of an atheist is not only unnecessary but undesirable as well.

also, there are many ways to be intelligent, and those studies are entirely reliant upon the concept of the 'IQ,' which lets be honest, is just one standardized assessment. I wouldn't attribute too much importance to it.

Feb 19, 2015 8:54 AM
I guess it depends on the context. If you consider Mathematics and Law of Physics as “God,” then yes.

I don`t think there is any being who listens or responds to our thoughts.

Feb 19, 2015 8:55 AM

gyro785 said:
I

what about your deeper self (sometimes called the 'higher self')

Feb 19, 2015 8:58 AM

Borgov said:
traed said:

Post the study.

I guss i was wrong on IQ and wealth being linked
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070424204519.htm

But there is a link between poverty and religiosity
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/09/religions-correlation-with-poverty/

The studies for IQ and religious beleif i havent seen same results on all of them. Some put atheist on top, some have jews on top, some have angelicians on top. Usually atheist and agnostic is most consistent.

Feb 19, 2015 8:58 AM
RockChan_ said:
gyro785 said:
I

Not sure what you mean. I meant being in the universe who would listen or respond to my thoughts. Those I don`t think it exists.

If you are talking about “inner self” as in unconscious mind, then sure, I think that exists.

Feb 19, 2015 8:59 AM

Borgov said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

More like it was brought upon on a young age with constant saturday/sunday classes in memorizing the quran, constant reminding to pray five times a day, forced to come to Eid Mubarak and going to Friday prayer where you hear the same old lectures over and over again.

Wrong. But I've gotta applaud your vain effort.
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 19, 2015 9:02 AM

gyro785 said:
RockChan_ said:

Not sure what you mean. I meant being in the universe who would listen or respond to my thoughts. Those I don`t think it exists.

If you are talking about “inner self” as in unconscious mind, then sure, I think that exists.

to me any being that listens to my thoughts is directly connected to my own self, there is this "I" but there is also a greater "I" which we are all connected to. So when i "pray" which is really just deep devotional thinking, i literally pray to myself, to my own sense of being.

Feb 19, 2015 9:04 AM

traed said:
Borgov said:

Post the study.

I guss i was wrong on IQ and wealth being linked
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070424204519.htm

But there is a link between poverty and religiosity
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/09/religions-correlation-with-poverty/

The studies for IQ and religious beleif i havent seen same results on all of them. Some put atheist on top, some have jews on top, some have angelicians on top. Usually atheist and agnostic is most consistent.

Interesting. Will take a look when I have the time.

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
Borgov said:

Wrong. But I've gotta applaud your vain effort.

Did someone say vain?

Feb 19, 2015 9:05 AM

Borgov said:

Did someone say vain?

Do you have a bitter experience with that word?
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 19, 2015 9:08 AM

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
Borgov said:

Did someone say vain?

I am the vainest person you will ever know.

Feb 19, 2015 9:13 AM

Borgov said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

That's not a bad thing you know.
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 19, 2015 9:18 AM

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
Borgov said:

Never said it was.

Feb 19, 2015 9:19 AM

Borgov said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

Never said it was.

Ain't a good thing either.
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 19, 2015 9:23 AM

I haven't idea, it's impossible to say with absolute certainty.
Anyway if a God exist I think it is different respect the representation of the various religions, the God of this is a figure created by human for the human.

Feb 19, 2015 9:35 AM

It all goes down to your belief

Feb 19, 2015 10:05 AM
I don`t think God exists. If God DOES exist, I wish he wolud get off his ass and start solving problems here in Earth. We could use his help.

Feb 19, 2015 10:20 AM

It's okay to believe in a god, but don't force that on other people. If believing in a god is such a good thing, that will show in your deeds and people will understand and respect you for your devotion towards being a disciplined and kindhearted person regardless of the 'truth'.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.

Feb 19, 2015 10:23 AM

Immahnoob is definitely real =o
So if one god exists... The others can also be true.

Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »