Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Oct 3, 2014 6:47 PM

I did like to know if you have to watch a previous version of gundam before watching this one.

I still have gundam wing (which I guess is the first one) in my plan to watch list.

Oct 3, 2014 6:52 PM

No you don't have, it's a complete new story, although it's true that if you watched other Gundam series before this, then it could help you to understand a little more of the mechanics.

Oct 4, 2014 6:48 PM

No, this is set at least 3000 years after UC, and apart from some classic suits making a cameo in ep2 there's no problem watching this standalone. At worst you'll miss some references here and there.

Of course, I'd absolutely recommend watching the old Gundam series too, starting with the first one. Wing is just a minor spinoff series like Seed and 00, if you want to watch the "real" Gundam, I'd start with the UC timeline. The following are the main series and sidestories in chronological order, listed by the year in the setting;

0079 Mobile Suit Gundam (series/movie trilogy)
-0079 MS Igloo
-0079 08th MS Team
-0080 War in the Pocket
-0083 Stardust Memory
0087 Zeta Gundam
0088 ZZ Gundam
0093 Char's Counterattack
0096 Gundam Unicorn
0123 Gundam F91
0153 Victory Gundam
0223 G Saviour
-Reconguista probably goes here, some 3000 years after UC
∀ Gundam in the end, probably thousands of years more after.

Obviously a lot of these can also be watched stand alone, the only I'd really consider necessary to watch in succession would be Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn. The rest are either not very much related or sidestories between Gundam and Zeta. Of course, the quality varies quite a bit, I found ZZ to be quite dreadful and Victory wasn't too impressive either while Unicorn was only good for flashy battles and fanservice with cameos of old mechs.

As for the spinoff series, there are;

Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Gundam Wing
After War Gundam X
Gundam Seed
Gundam 00
Gundam Age
Gundam Build Fighters

None of these are related in any way, and generally just filch the plot and ideas, or even MS designs from the classic Gundam. I haven't seen G or X and dropped Age after 10 episodes, but beyond those, only Build Fighters was really good imo, I wouldn't bother with the others.
Modified by Baman, Oct 4, 2014 6:51 PM

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja