Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 4, 2015 9:00 PM

Dec 2011
GinkoxSuzu, now shipping. Spring really is tempting.
I thought it was really cute when Miharu didn't pay attention during lessons.

I like to think of the mushi in this episode as an allusion to love. Winter is a hard time to live. It's cold, and people naturally seek shelter and warmth from other humans. The Usoboki which cause Harumagai, tempting hibernating animals, is like a warm love that tempts lonely strangers on a cold winter night... XD

Gosh, Suzu and Ginko are too cute together, unfortunately, as many are aware, it is a false spring. They would have to wake up eventually and realize that whatever potential relationship they could have had... it wouldn't last under the current circumstances. As expected, Ginko realizes this (which is why he says he wouldn't visit in winter, to avoid temptation).

Suzu's affection is borne from a kind stranger helping her brother. And Ginko wishes to settle down, but he must leave eventually. Suzu may have been "pretending it was spring." But a false spring is not comparable to a real one.

And the other thing I wanted to say about this episode is respect animals (or in this case, mushi).
Also, Holy Cripes! More than a year passed in this one episode!
DalPuriAug 4, 2015 9:09 PM
Oct 6, 2015 3:03 PM

Nov 2012
Mushishi's episodes are so beautifully done,I love them.

Lost track of how many times I've said best episode so far while watching this series.
Oct 24, 2015 5:18 AM
Apr 2015
Very nice episode.
(⇀‿‿↼) ( ͠°‿‿ °) ( ͡°‿‿ ͡°) (⍜‿‿⍜) (๏‿‿๏) (■‿‿■) ( ͡⎚‿‿ ͡⎚) (◕‿‿◕) (x‿‿x) (ᵔ‿‿ᵔ) ( ̄‿‿ ̄) (⪩‿‿⪨)
Nov 24, 2015 4:46 PM
Aug 2015
I really love this ep., hint of romance <3

Ginko's last lines is very interesting. About even people becoming weaker in the winter. Wich is the thing of wanting to stay longer and longer...

I'd really like to see Ginko coming back to visit Suzu and her brother again. They would be a cute couple, too bad Ginko can't settle down at one place for too long.
But there was that mushi-shi who had a husband and kid ( a couple ep. back)...even that she still had to travel. But she did settle down when things gone bad with her family, and she also attracted mushi...wich makes me confused :v

I think i'm stating to wander too much ^-^'''
Jan 8, 2016 7:43 PM

Mar 2013
A really great ep, the whole story was great. I love how we gradually get to know Ginko and about the mushi more and more.
Jan 12, 2016 8:56 PM

Aug 2007
Wow, the 'hinted' romance was masterfully done in this episode. This show is truly a work of art.
Jan 25, 2016 7:50 PM
Apr 2014
winter makes people weak sometimes >>>>>>>
Mar 16, 2016 8:44 AM
Feb 2016
Soo... am I the only one who saw Suzu x Ginko as more of a father/daughter or uncle/niece type relationship? xD I dunno to me Suzu seemed a lot younger than Ginko.

But regardless, this was a beautiful episode. Loved that they added the squeek-crunch of footsteps in the snow. You could really tell that the siblings had grown on Ginko and vice versa. And Ginko's line at the end... reminded me of why I love Mushishi so much. Definitely one of my favorite episodes so far.
Apr 9, 2016 6:39 AM

Oct 2012
I would ship Ginko x Suzu anytime! xD
"Signature removed"
May 5, 2016 12:01 AM

Jun 2015
Romance in Mushishi? I'm okay with that.

Yeah, Ginko needs to settle down a little bit
May 22, 2016 2:01 PM
May 2016
Yup! This episode definitely seems like a metaphor for fleeting love. A crush, so to speak.

The characters' vulnerabilities during the harsh winter made them dependent on each other, so they fostered emotions for one another. But it's a "false spring" and they ultimately must move on.

Ahhhh i love this so much.

10/10
Aug 21, 2016 11:54 PM

Mar 2012
Poor Ginko can't even get himself a waifu because of his Mushi problem. His last comment even hinted that there was a part of him that wanted to stay with them :(
Oct 29, 2016 3:04 PM

May 2010
I like how understanding Suzu was there. The typical big sis instinct would be "Ginko caught her brother and ran away" but nah, she remained reasonable there. More like, she never even considered that possibility. So trusting and nice.

Definitely one of my favorites so far. Loved how Ginko managed to catch the butterfly before he fainted and Suzu just happened to check his coat and released it. I like coincidences like that. Also I would have liked a romance between her and Ginko... But I see the false spring comparison. Ginko's romantic partner should be someone who can see and knows about mushi so that he can live with them comfortably, not worrying too much about their safety. Still the concept of false spring is beautiful. Winter makes you seek for warmth. But once spring arrives, you start getting used to it. So maybe unrequited love is like winter. Interesting.
TragicRomanceOct 29, 2016 3:09 PM
Jun 3, 2017 12:12 AM

May 2013
Suzu likes Ginkoooooo~~~ even her little brother could tell lol

I doubt Ginko would want romance just yet, unless Suzu and Miharu wants to become peddlers too
Jul 4, 2017 8:14 AM

Jul 2015
Suzu is a cute.

Great episode, Mushishi usually tells a sad story, but this one was more of a warning about how Mushis can definitely be dangerous and, while you can be fascinated by their way to exist, it's better to be careful about them.
Jul 22, 2017 6:29 PM

Jun 2013
Hot diggity, the thirst in this thread is palpable. Now don't get me wrong I normally out-thirst the overwhelming majority of MAL users, but while I did sense the attraction, I don't like the implications that a hookup between them would raise, especially if Suzu is a teenager - which is not unlikely, considering that she has a kid brother.
LeeTailorJul 22, 2017 6:42 PM
Nov 26, 2017 12:11 PM
Nov 2017
I cried vary hard at the part at the end when Suzu hugged Miharu after he had been asleep for such a long time. I don't know what I would do if something like that happend to my little sister.
Jan 13, 2018 11:21 PM

May 2016
Finally, there is someone who loves Ginko.
Apr 29, 2018 9:15 AM

Nov 2011
Episode from the mysterious atmosphere also this time, the mystery that lies behind the strange behavior of the protagonist is interesting and also what happens during the episode. Also this time the vision of the episode is pleasant.
Aug 13, 2018 1:33 PM
Apr 2018
I really loved this episode specially the romantic moment between suzu and ginko but I think ginko doesn't care😅 when he said to her brother I'm appreciate to her
second things which I loved so much it's when ginko said people are weak during winter and the words that appears after his words was very beautiful❤ really really loved this episode
Aug 20, 2018 5:54 AM

Feb 2014
In the end, Ginko is afraid to commit himself to something and uses his job as an excuse to always leave, because he spent 3 months sleeping and we weren't shown any increase of mushis. Also, I don't think we can infer that Suzu's feeling were corresponded by his quote, but I would like to see if it would develop into something.
Aug 24, 2018 2:05 AM
Apr 2008
Cute episode. The romantic undertones were very well-done, IMO. I had thought that Miharu would go on and become a traveling Mushi master as well, under Ginko's apprenticeship; or at least study them on his own at home.

This episode also really juxtaposed Ginko's western winter attire with the Japanese winter attire. I wonder what time period Mushishi takes place in, and why Ginko always wears western clothing?

merle_noir said:
I'm guessing these episodes aren't really in succession... and that in those episodes where Ginko leaves and returns after months/years/etc., that the other episodes have been going on. Or he's just really slow at aging? Maybe he doesn't age? O: (Kidding about the latter.)

I too, was thinking that. It would make most sense, after all.
Mar 5, 2019 2:10 PM

May 2016
It was really adorable of Ginko to tale the time to teach the kid about the different kinds of Mushi so he'll know the kinds to watch out for. In a way, he was his first student ever~

Gin suddenly walking into a spring paradise made me react the exact same way he did at first because it was so dazzling and the butterflies sucking his energy and all of the other animals around here made me laugh a little because the first thing that came into mind was how Suzu has to care for two sleeping idiots now. It looks like the first time he got incapacitated by a Mushi he's dealing with and if it weren't for her opening the butterfly box, he would've waited until spring to wake up.

He finally has somewhere to go back to with open arms ♡

Mar 12, 2019 5:39 PM

Apr 2016
Very nice character development from Ginko in this episode. Perhaps Suzu will make a second appearance in the series later on? I will optimistically hope for that.
Mar 17, 2019 5:57 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
direbliss said:
loved the episode. and i loved the comment about staying in the winter because people are weak then. oh the allure of spending many nights and settling down.

yeha I liked the sentence quite alot <3
Great episode. This is really relaxing to watch this show

Jul 7, 2019 11:26 AM
Apr 2016
Beautiful peaceful episode. Ginko sure spent a long time there though. Poor girl, she was so worried.
Sep 29, 2019 10:00 AM

Sep 2018
Fascinating the narration, it also brings the main story forward, so at least it was not an episode in itself. Ginko has a fan now. How beautiful! Who knows if I'll see her again in the future, I hope anyway.
Dec 4, 2019 3:12 PM

Apr 2014
we better see more of this ship dammit
Jan 24, 2020 6:13 AM
Sep 2017
I know I'm late ... But damn... When he said he is weak in the winter, ecchi thing actually pop out into my mind... I mean, you know... It's winter and all .. yeah... I'm sorry
Mar 27, 2020 5:58 PM

Feb 2017
"When all are sheltering within, there comes an imitation of spring."

Very relevant quote while living through this covid season.

Apr 12, 2020 7:22 PM
Oct 2018
Hope this isn't the last we see of Ginko and Suzu :'(
Apr 13, 2020 11:33 AM

Aug 2018
Everything is getting more and more interesting also ships seem to start happening
May 28, 2020 10:23 PM

Aug 2019
ahhhh shucks. I think me and a lot of other people were really hoping that the slimmmmm chance Ginko actually decide to hunker down a bit after meeting someone was gonna happen since Ginko and Suzu looked like such a nice pairing.
But tis the rules of fate i guess for Ginko that permits such a dream. What a sad reality, i really really hope the guy can one day make a family of his own but considering his situation, it would be close to zero. God i really do hope they make some alternate/separate arc where he does actually stay and finds a way to stop his attraction to Mushi and just kinda, chills with his own family.
Jul 30, 2020 4:40 PM

Jan 2018
That hand hug from Suzu and when Ginko said "people are weak during the winter too" are really something.
I will never speak about the plot hole from this story, this just a beautiful episode, don't ever ruin this.
RizanEx_ycJul 30, 2020 4:44 PM
Mar 23, 2021 11:57 AM

Nov 2019

I came to the forum to see if anyone else felt like Suzu might have developed feelings for Ginko, and I think most people did. I actually really enjoyed this side of Ginko which definitely shows him more as a person, rather than someone just there to help as usual. I believe the attraction towards each other was mutual, but I felt that the way he left was a perfect "end" to their relationship. I want to interpret it as open-ended and hope that he visits them occasionally, but he probably will never stay there for long.
mashitokeMar 23, 2021 12:08 PM
Mar 28, 2021 1:14 AM
Dec 2020
I thought that Ginko would hook up with Suzu. Too bad he can't stay for too long at a place. At least he visited there often, that was good.
Apr 13, 2021 5:34 AM

Jan 2020
Just how someone is not dead yet after a whole year without food/drink ? I mean idk if Suzu could feed them while their sleeping.
Jun 7, 2021 3:25 AM

Mar 2020
This episode really nails home how extremely lonely Ginko's life is. He hints it before that he envied the mountain mushishi because he settled down, but this episodes nails it home because he knows Suzu likes him, he likes her too but he can't stay because of his "magnet" disposition. He can never settle down and have a normal life with a family, and a lot of the episodes are actually focussed on family in the series, like putting salt on the wound for Ginko.
Jun 26, 2021 1:47 AM
Jan 2020
ahh really liked this episode along with #12, shows ginko having more ‘human’ like emotions (how he became who he is and his desires) , with him not being able to stay during the winter bc it’d tempt him to stay with them. wish ginko could have that happiness.
Jul 18, 2021 3:00 AM

Aug 2019
My favourite episode yet. We got an aspect for Ginko's character that I never really considered before. And thankfully it's not a tragedy like so many episodes we've gotten recently, but it's still sad in a way. Suzu is the MVP of this episode. I wonder if there is hope we can see Miharu and Suzu again at some point. Ginko promised to visit, after all...
Sep 29, 2021 10:35 PM

Jul 2020
love the episode. suzu was very cute.. a lil bit of romance here

i wish for ginko's return, i hope that at least on next season
Nov 10, 2021 7:22 PM
Jul 2021
Loved this episode, it was nice to see someone actually get attached to ginko. I also thought the animation was a lot better this episode.
Nov 30, 2021 5:42 PM

Jun 2013
This episode was really sweet, they were like a little family ;_;
Jan 19, 2022 3:52 AM
Jun 2020
Damm, he can't stay for too long, If he really did marry, he would be one of those fathers who come back once in a year or months lol
Feb 11, 2022 6:48 PM
Nov 2020
Wow, this is the first time I can remember seeing Ginko out of commission. Suzu definitely had it the worst. Her brother should have definitely told her about all of that stuff that he finds and were he gets knocked out for the rest of winter is, he definitely was selfish. Hopefully we can see them again the future at least, I like Suzu
Mar 7, 2022 3:25 PM

Jan 2021
I don't know....I ship them T__T.
May 30, 2022 2:13 AM

May 2018
What is this romantic vibes I'm feeling on this episode... Kind of want to see more of it though.

Apr 13, 2023 12:43 PM

Feb 2018
Whenever there is a snowy episode it always has some good vibes.
Apr 21, 2023 8:13 PM

Jul 2016
The sister really carried an unconscious adult man through a snowscape and waited an entire season for him to wake up. If that isn't what strength is (in both the literal and figurative sense), idk what is.

Really feel-good ending too.
Nov 16, 2023 4:54 AM

May 2019
Beautiful episode. It's a shame that Ginko attracts Mushi and has to keep wandering, that seemed like a nice place for him.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

131 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 8, 12:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.