Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 27, 2014 7:54 PM

Aug 2013
Seriously, just as there are tons of fanboys to jack up NGNL's rating, so there are even more reviews with ratings under 5.

The need to put down popular shows is real here
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 27, 2014 7:56 PM

Jun 2014
We've known about this for a long time.

Sep 27, 2014 7:56 PM

Jul 2011
Nothing weird here.
Sep 27, 2014 7:57 PM

Apr 2013
Check the AoT or Elfen lied reviews. This is hardly new.
Sep 27, 2014 7:57 PM

Jun 2014
A 5 is not any less ridiculous than giving it a 10. Just because an anime is popular doesn't mean people can't truly dislike the show itself. I can understand someone giving it a 5.
Previously: BlueXRam
Sep 27, 2014 7:59 PM

Jul 2011
Cupquake said:
Check the Elfen lied reviews.

They must be true if they said something negative.
Sep 27, 2014 7:59 PM

Dec 2013
10/10 if they could massabate to it.
5/10 if they couldn't massabate to it.

It's that simple, peeps.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Sep 27, 2014 8:01 PM

Mar 2013
Welcome to the wonderful world of MAL.
Sep 27, 2014 8:02 PM

Jul 2013
Maybe I gave NGNL a 5 because that's the score it deserves (average)

crazy I know
Sep 27, 2014 8:03 PM

Apr 2013
Praland said:
Cupquake said:
Check the Elfen lied reviews.

They must be true if they said something negative.
Of course they're true. Reviews can only be written by the truly enlightened, after all.
Sep 27, 2014 8:04 PM

Nov 2012
Some are being generous when giving it a 5 you know.
Sep 27, 2014 8:04 PM

Jun 2014
hybreezy said:

crazy I know

Someone gets it. Believe it or not there are people who don't like the show. I gave it a 6 and I feel that was generous. It had nothing special besides the animation. The characters were awful, the plot was messy, there was no ending, and loli. Stop complaining about ratings, it does not effect you.
Sep 27, 2014 8:05 PM

Aug 2013
Kyuutoryuu said:
Seriously, just as there are tons of fanboys to jack up NGNL's rating, so there are even more reviews with ratings under 5.

I fail to see the problem with this. Fanboys rate it high while haters rate it low so there is a balance.
Sep 27, 2014 8:08 PM
Jul 2012
Is it even good/remotely decent tho

Like is it self-aware and does it have actually cool/funny gaming references or is it just nonsense like SAO
Sep 27, 2014 8:11 PM

Aug 2013
hybreezy said:

crazy I know

No, I get it. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own opinion; however, take a look at the reviews that are more positively rated on NGNL. Clearly, the general MAL community supports negative reviews more than positive ones. But that's obviously not the case as a whole, as NGNL has an 8.5+ mean score.

What I'm saying is... the haters even go as far as to "hate" on all the positive REVIEWS, regardless of the quality of writing, and vehemently support the negative reviews. I don't think it's cool to go around hating on reviews just 'cause they don't agree with your opinions.

@Tarex I'd say it's pretty cool and worth watching. NGNL did has some funny moments and it does make you laugh :)
Sep 27, 2014 8:11 PM

Apr 2013
Because the show is overrated and lack depth? The fact that its score is 8.73 is astonishing and ridiculous to begin with.
Sep 27, 2014 8:13 PM

Apr 2013
Tarextherex said:

Like is it self-aware and does it have actually cool/funny gaming references or is it just nonsense like SAO
It's ridiculous and cringe inducing in parts, but overall it's alright.

Oct 2012
Tarextherex said:

It's pretty fun to watch, but that's basically it, it's extremely average on the whole.

Jun 2014
Kyuutoryuu said:
hybreezy said:

crazy I know

No, I get it. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own opinion; however, take a look at the reviews that are more positively rated on NGNL. Clearly, the general MAL community supports negative reviews more than positive ones. But that's obviously not the case as a whole, as NGNL has an 8.5+ mean score.

What I'm saying is... the haters even go as far as to "hate" on all the positive REVIEWS, regardless of the quality of writing, and vehemently support the negative reviews. I don't think it's cool to go around hating on reviews just 'cause they don't agree with your opinions.

@Tarex I'd say it's pretty cool and worth watching. NGNL did has some funny moments and it does make you laugh :)

And people who enjoy the show call out anyone who doesn't like it. What point are you trying to make? It goes both ways.
Sep 27, 2014 8:19 PM

Aug 2013
BlueXRam said:
And people who enjoy the show call out anyone who doesn't like it. What point are you trying to make? It goes both ways.
For real. I have been called an elitist, hipster and a person who doesn't like fun simply because I don't think it's that great.
Sep 27, 2014 8:22 PM

Dec 2013
Hardly new, that's just how Mal is, get used to it
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 27, 2014 8:32 PM
Jul 2013
Kyuutoryuu said:

it's the best anime ever
Sep 27, 2014 8:43 PM

Feb 2010
Tarextherex said:

It's definitely self-aware, which made me able to enjoy it quite a lot, even the fanservice that I usually don't like that much. It's basically mindless fun with 'mindgames' and that contradiction is part of what makes it enjoyable (or not for some people I guess).
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 27, 2014 8:44 PM

Dec 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
Kyuutoryuu said:

it's the most entertaining anime ever
fixed that for you
FragOutFire said:

Sep 27, 2014 8:50 PM

Aug 2013
I didn't think the show was all that great. Kinda shit actually but.

There's this thing within communities I like to refer to as the tidal wave of taste.

The higher ups deem something shit, the ones below them are rubbed off a bit and call it semi-shit and the lowly plebs are left with the remnants of shit.

This creates something of a paradox because the natural progression of acceptance hits a brick wall. The elitists opinion of a show has now become commonplace and therefore the newbies will revolt, creating many a thread worth its weight it feces, such as this one.

The moral of the story is. Watch what you will and if you like it, that's fine. MAL reviews, especially the upvoted ones are normally self promoted and biased to hell and back for just that reason. The publicity reigns over your own opinion once you've sold your soul.

Keep this in mind when reading things on the internet and before creating new threads.
Sep 27, 2014 9:15 PM

Jan 2014
Praland said:
Nothing weird here.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 27, 2014 9:33 PM

Mar 2013
Review mean little to nothing because it's based on the person opinion.
Sep 27, 2014 9:47 PM

Dec 2012
hybreezy said:

crazy I know

5 is low average, 6 is high average... Because 5.5 is the median of a 1-10 system. By rating as a 5 that's actually saying it was mediocre as opposed to average. Like a D instead of a C-. I consider 7 a C+, 8 a B, 9 an A, 10 an A+
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Sep 27, 2014 10:20 PM

Nov 2012
I gave it a 6/10... On the whole the anime just felt generic for me and didn't do much to set itself apart from a lot of other anime I had seen prior.. I didn't care for the characters, the plot, or most of the humor situations, but some of the games were pretty fun to watch at times, I won't lie.

What I find interesting is the gerneal sentiment in forums now that the NGNL has finished airing. WHile it was airing, I was sorta mind-boggled at the almost universal 10/10 praise the anime was getting, with very occosional negative comments. And now that it ended, I see many more negative comments about the anime.. hmmm
Sep 27, 2014 10:26 PM

Sep 2014
Everyone has their own taste in anime. Some need a compelling story in order to get into an anime which NGNL lacks due to it's idea of setting up like a game with a set goal. Personally I think it's an interesting concept and I really enjoyed the anime but I may not have liked it as much if I wanted something I needed more focus to follow.
Sep 27, 2014 10:41 PM

Aug 2014
Gave it a generous 6*. I can see why people would rate it both higher and lower though. I literally didn't enjoy watching it though so as I've been getting harsher with my scores lately I should give it a 5-6. There's a bunch of anime where I scratch my head at how anyone could rate it so high or how anyone could rate it so low. NGNL I can actually see why people would rate it high or low at least.

+ points for decently interesting world / concept
+ points for unique art

- points for fanservice that I felt wasn't executed in the funny way they tried to.
- points for character interaction (dislike the relationship of sis/brother and the other relationships aren't memorable considering I don't remember them that well and I remember most relationships / char interactions in any given show)
- points cause at no point in the show was I wanting to see the next episode or enjoying it that much. I literally only watched it because of the hype/rating & said "let's check this shit out and see if it gets better".

I thought NGNL had potential to be really good and I'm still undecided if I'll rate it lower or higher in the future. Likely lower at the trend it's started.

I don't hate on NGNL but it's an anime where I can definitely see why people do hate it.

I'm more surprised at the hate SnK/AoT gets. For an action anime, it pulled off most of its action scenes really well and I was genuinely surprised that the air gear, while making no real sense clearly it was actually fun to watch. It rode a wave of hype from new anime watchers and it felt like the old guard wanted to slow it down. It's definitely not top tier in story or chars yet, but I think we'd need 40-100 more manga chapters at the rate the author is going to tell if it'll be awesome or shit. Atm it's just ok but the anime was definitely above average.

To me both series seem like they could be great in the future if their world building pans out. However, both series could be vastly over rated if it doesn't.

Then again, fuck it if you go to TV Series only the're both well in the top 30 so the hate is clearly a minority.
RagesEntitySep 27, 2014 10:50 PM
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 27, 2014 11:10 PM

Jan 2013
BlueXRam said:
hybreezy said:

crazy I know

Someone gets it. Believe it or not there are people who don't like the show. I gave it a 6 and I feel that was generous. It had nothing special besides the animation. The characters were awful, the plot was messy, there was no ending, and loli. Stop complaining about ratings, it does not effect you.

I haven't watched it past the first episode.
Sep 27, 2014 11:16 PM

Aug 2008
Don't really care about anime rating too much.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 27, 2014 11:16 PM

Jul 2013
Crimefridge said:
hybreezy said:

crazy I know

5 is low average, 6 is high average... Because 5.5 is the median of a 1-10 system. By rating as a 5 that's actually saying it was mediocre as opposed to average. Like a D instead of a C-. I consider 7 a C+, 8 a B, 9 an A, 10 an A+

5 is what I give an average show I don't care about the specifics on the math. AVerage as in quality, not as the literal average score of shows I hand out.
Sep 27, 2014 11:21 PM

Sep 2012
Kyuutoryuu said:

HIPSTER EPEEN ELIST CIRCLEJERK MODE ACTIVATE

pls go
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 27, 2014 11:23 PM

Nov 2012
well OP, it's because:
Sep 27, 2014 11:24 PM

Jun 2014
No game no life is wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best anime ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!absolutely no fanservice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intense plot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No overpowered characters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Complete ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 12/10 mist watch!!!!!!!!!
Sep 27, 2014 11:32 PM

Mar 2012
No Game No Life is just one of those anime that you're either going to really like or really hate. It seems to get either more ridiculously high or ridiculously low scores more so than just average scores.

Me? I gave it a 7 and even then I was being generous. I thought it had it's qualities. Some of the puzzles and how Blank went about solving them were kinda interesting. The down side for it for me though is it's resorting to the lowest common denominator in terms of it's ecchi and I did feel like some (not all) of the puzzles they solved, they took a rather bullshit route. The characters were alright outside of Stephanie. Plot was interesting, even though I wish it wouldn't have went "complete cliffhanger" on it's ending.

I can see why people love and I can see why people hate it. I probably would've liked it a little more if we didn't continuously get 11 year-old panty shots (yuck).
Sep 27, 2014 11:34 PM

Mar 2012
RandomPerson4 said:
well OP, it's because:

Should someone who has One Piece in their favorite anime be saying that? ;-P

...sorry, I hate the "you have shit taste" crowd.
Sep 27, 2014 11:36 PM

Apr 2014
It's not just the fact that it's a popular new show. I liked it overall but found it to be pretty obnoxious at times. The main characters come off a bit inhuman and 'oh-so-clever' most of the time. The pacing in a lot of it is a bit hyper-active too. Also the visuals can be a bit grating, but I don't know if that's a common criticism. I think a lot of anime fans are getting turned off by that style and want more subdued, 'dynamic' anime.
Sep 27, 2014 11:36 PM

Dec 2013
RandomPerson4 said:
well OP, it's because:
God, is that u?
FragOutFire said:

Sep 27, 2014 11:38 PM

Sep 2012
Toucanbird said:
As any normal man would.

I don't understand why we have to bash things just because someone doesn't like it/enjoy it in the first place.

Just ignore it if you don't like it. What's the benefit of acting entitled as hell and trying to condemn it? Ego boosting?
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 27, 2014 11:43 PM

Nov 2012
Korrvo said:
Toucanbird said:
As any normal man would.

I don't understand why we have to bash things just because someone doesn't like it/enjoy it in the first place.

Just ignore it if you don't like it. What's the benefit of acting entitled as hell and trying to condemn it? Ego boosting?

Uhhuh Uhhuh *looks at tits instead of reading your post* I agree Uhhuh
Sep 28, 2014 12:01 AM

Mar 2012
RandomPerson4 said:
Korrvo said:
As any normal man would.

Uhhuh Uhhuh *looks at tits instead of reading your post* I agree Uhhuh

I call BS...there isn't enough hentai on your list for me to believe you were looking at tits...unless you were looking at real ones?

Pffft, bwahahahaha! Looking at real tits. I crack myself up sometimes...
Sep 28, 2014 12:12 AM

Nov 2012
Toucanbird said:
RandomPerson4 said:
well OP, it's because:

one piece is always good thats why its #1 selling manga in the world.
fact.
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 28, 2014 12:16 AM

Mar 2012
ninjastarforcex said:
Toucanbird said:

fact.

You mean kinda like how Naruto, Bleach, and Dragonball are always good too?!

*facepalm*
Sep 28, 2014 12:31 AM

Apr 2014
Altairius said:
It's not just the fact that it's a popular new show. I liked it overall but found it to be pretty obnoxious at times. The main characters come off a bit inhuman and 'oh-so-clever' most of the time. The pacing in a lot of it is a bit hyper-active too. Also the visuals can be a bit grating, but I don't know if that's a common criticism. I think a lot of anime fans are getting turned off by that style and want more subdued, 'dynamic' anime.

Oh, also the fact that it didn't actually get anywhere yet. No shit it's not top 30 material with just those 12 episodes.
Sep 28, 2014 12:45 AM

Nov 2012
Toucanbird said:
ninjastarforcex said:

fact.

You mean kinda like how Naruto, Bleach, and Dragonball are always good too?!

*facepalm*

it wont sell if its bad.
for you its bad because you are anti mainstream hipster
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 28, 2014 12:45 AM

Apr 2013
I think what the op is pointing out isn't rating 5 this show, but rather, the act of voting dislike on every single review with good rating and voting like on those with bad review.
Disliking a show cannot be helped, but hating it to the point of spending time doing that kind of stuff is pretty ridiculous imo. It's no longer a problem of taste here~
Not like it's surprising to see people on the internet do that, but that's still very irrespective of those who spend a lot of time doing review. If the review is really bad (no matter if the score given is pleasing you or not), then okay, but if that person did a good review and that it's just hated by some people because the score given isn't pleasing them, that's sad. And that's a pretty pathetic thing to do, too.

it wont sell if its bad.
for you its bad because you are anti mainstream hipster

It sells because it's the exact opposite of a niche story, it's made to appeal to everyone. Nothing more, nothing less. Obviously, not every single story written to appeal to everyone will be successful. But overall sales have little to do with quality. I mean, look at fairy tail sales for example. look. That "thing" didn't even had a proper story for 300 chapters and was already selling millions of copies.
ZefyrisSep 28, 2014 12:51 AM
Sep 28, 2014 12:52 AM

Jan 2013
Akito_Kinomoto said:
...You've been reviewing for a year, have a decent number of posts for the short time you've been on the site, and you're actually wondering about this? Wut?

hahaha at 1k being decent.

OP clearly has a life. Casual.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2014

294 by FarCritical »»
Apr 19, 11:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.