Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Houseki no Kuni Chapter 15 Discussion

Sep 27, 2014 12:12 PM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
>Good night sensei
>Sweet dreams

Dang, and that final scene in this chapter has this almost dream-like feeling to it.

Sep 27, 2014 1:26 PM

Not really feeling this new translation where everyone reefer themselves as "HE" when they all clearly look so feminine.

I know that in the japanese version the mangaka is using an old way of speaking and also that they're supposed to be genderless. But yeah it’s not working as well when it’s time to use the english language...

Sep 30, 2014 10:42 PM
Drenoss said:
Not really feeling this new translation where everyone reefer themselves as "HE" when they all clearly look so feminine.

I know that in the japanese version the mangaka is using an old way of speaking and also that they're supposed to be genderless. But yeah it’s not working as well when it’s time to use the english language...

BitterFox said:
I was really disappointed that they took the Tokyopop Wish route and referred to everyone but Sensei as “she” just because they look feminine, and Sensei looks masculine. It takes away from the fact that they’re genderless, and ignores their use of masculine pronouns in the original. (srs what do when Phos is all ‘wat is boobs’ over the first gendered being he meets).

Maybe we should run blog and post two versions of translation because there are two "sides", two types of readers. I've made "feminine" version first, but another editor used ''original" version of translation and uploaded this version for new chapters. Sorry for that.

Oct 5, 2014 12:47 PM

No need to be sorry for anything, I always feel lots of respect for people like you that are bringing us all this stuff for free. And that’s even more true for manga that would most probably never leave Japan.

I really don’t know what to say more about the translation for Houseki because it seems like quite a challenging manga to work on! I never knew the issue existed before reading the thirds volume when the translation suddenly switched. So I say, just go for what you feel is right.

And I guess, only the Mangaka must really know what would be the right way to address them in foreign languages.

Oct 6, 2014 2:33 PM

AutoBio said:
Drenoss said:

BitterFox said:
I was really disappointed that they took the Tokyopop Wish route and referred to everyone but Sensei as “she” just because they look feminine, and Sensei looks masculine. It takes away from the fact that they’re genderless, and ignores their use of masculine pronouns in the original. (srs what do when Phos is all ‘wat is boobs’ over the first gendered being he meets).

Maybe we should run blog and post two versions of translation because there are two "sides", two types of readers. I've made "feminine" version first, but another editor used ''original" version of translation and uploaded this version for new chapters. Sorry for that.

What about neutral pronouns like ze and hir? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-specific_and_gender-neutral_pronouns <- chart is halfway down the page

That's what most trans*/non-binary, including agender, people I know use if they're not using they/them or other neutral pronounces from there.

If you're worried about people not knowing the meaning, make a quick translator's note on the page itself or something on your place of posting.
眠れないのは君のせい

Preview MangaManga Store