Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Racist/Sexist/Nationalistic/Dumb

Oct 17, 2015 4:02 AM
If your line of thinking is
Neanderthal + cockroach = African caricature
You might want to reconsider who the actual racist is.

Oct 17, 2015 4:27 AM
Justletmejoin said:
trident123 said:
I find it amusing how people are able to say the cockroaches resemble the African tribes or black people during Jim Crow's era. They brought it up first and call the series racist, whom's the hypocrite here? Hmmmm...
That is the dumbest logic I have ever seen.

God like some of you guys need to get your shit together and come up with a good defensive argument.

Now the roaches themselves may be said to "not be racist" howeeeever

1)they seem to be extremely good at athletics

2)they were gold chains

3)they hold guns sideways

4)all the main characters are white and the one black guy is kinda just there

5)the main hero is said to be perfect and flawless (huge writing mistake mostly done by teenage boys writing fanfics and always scorned by people who actually studied writing) and is a product of selective breeding, blonde hair blue eyes etc etc pretty much everything the white supremacist mindset is

6) number five is a huge flaw seeing how this show is about nature, and insects, just like mammals, reproduce sexually due to the fact that sexual reproduction allows the appearance of more mutations thus increasing variety between humans. You learn that shit in basic college biology. The only ones stupid enough to believe otherwise are racists and dog breeders...and even most dog breeders and all scientist know that almost all dog races that are a result of selective breeding are extremely unhealthy....its like the author dropped out of highschool.

This sillyness leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

1. Since when is being athletic a bad thing or racist? They're athletic because their evolution is basically meant to resemble human evolution, pre historic humans were athletic as fuck because it was a necessity.

2. If you'd pay attention in history class you would've know that humans have always been infatuated with shiny things such as gold and other materials, during the course of history wearing jewlery and the like has been a show of wealth and power.

3. You could make the assumption that back when BUGS-2 landed they didn't know how to handle the weaponry as efficently as they did 20 years later since the terraformars have been constantly shown to develop new skills and becoming more proficient with all the new tools at their disposal. But yeah, it looks kind of "thug like", doesn't have to make it racist though.

4. I didn't know asian = white.

5. I agree, this character is the epitome of stupidity and a huge Gary Stu but it is not racist. Why is being white a bad thing?

6. This is a show where roaches were sent to mars with a bunch of moss to make it possible to live there. This is a show where people undergo surgery to obtain traits of animals and insects, it's science fantasy you dolt. Besides, if you paid attention in school you'd know that selective breeding works, though harmful due to the fact that to make it work as much as possible a lot of inbreeding is done.
Modified by warcon, Oct 17, 2015 4:41 AM

Oct 22, 2015 10:19 AM

The roach/black comparison is too simple.
I havent read the entire manga, but my understanding is the entire plot is about human intrigues (nation Vs. nation), and the roaches are just "the surface".
If anything there is an anti-Chinese plot, but I dont know the whole plot so I cannot say.

Its also really not clear that the roaches are the ultimate enemy...Could be they are just a tool by the real enemy (the Chinese government?) and so on.

Saying terraformars is racist just because of the roaches is just another low IQ hasty generalization from people/media who dont watch the show in detail.

As to Nationalistic....The entire Annex 1 crew seems to be various nations (Whites/Europeans/Americans/Russians working with Japanese & other Asians) to save humanity...Its not like its Japanese only crew getting backstabbed by the Whites.
So no its not nationalistic.

Oct 22, 2015 10:53 AM

I admit I thought it looked a bit like negroes when I first saw it .

But that's probably what the artist visualized and he probably wasn't trying to be racist .I don't think he needs to change how they are drawn just to appease some nitpickers .

By the way ,I'm black .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oct 23, 2015 1:44 PM

The roaches also do look like....humanoid Roaches.
http://songsofinsects.com/wp-content/uploads/insect_musicians_neocur-hexa_LE_WHITE.jpg

A classic case of "jump the gun" I think...
And always by the same White knights who will also jump for supposed cases of sexism and so on...

Jan 22, 2016 2:55 PM
This is did offend me a bit. Terra Formars is definitely racist. Firstly, the black roaches resemble African Americans. Secondly, the German is freaking made Adolf and is portrayed as a great character. Third, the scene where Russian dude was bragging about Russian being scary was clearly poetically biased and used to 'mock' the Soviet Union. Lastly, I didn't like the way the Chinese were presented, and how they died. To me, it's like a threat made to China.

Personally, I'm really infto politics and world issues so I can see where this show is going with its 'racism' contents. But overall I didn't mind that much and rly enjoyed it. The concept is really good.

Mar 26, 2016 10:04 AM

I don't see anything racist or sexist with the series.

And here I thought it was racist because there are barely any POC in it aside from the Japanese and Chinese characters. I would complain that it doesn't have any Malaysians, Filipinos, Indonesians, Cambodians, Thai, Mongolian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, etc. people but I just accept it for what it is. There would be a long list of ethnicities that were disincluded in many series for a multitude of reasons. I find it funny though that people think the roaches are supposed to represent black people that was the last thing on my mind. Those roaches are fucking creepy but I never thought of them as representative of any human.

Killing female characters is sexist? I'm a woman and I'm just going to say, "Shut the fuck up!" to whoever thinks that. They're killing a lot of male characters too but is that sexist? Jesus Christ. You got many strong female characters and just because some of them die doesn't mean it's sexist. Again, I thought people were saying it was sexist because of that one woman saying that "women are meant to fall in love at anytime" or some shit like that. LOL Since they're killing roaches, there's insect abuse too, huh?
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.

Apr 30, 2016 7:06 PM

The old, "you said it's racist when it's not , so who's the racist now" argument ......Ha! Clearly this show has a racist tone to it when it comes to the roaches. It's not surprising that white people and other cultures are oblivious, ignorant, and insensitive to these views just as they generally are in real life. To act as if the illustration of the roaches don't heavily favor black stereotypes of image and presence shows a denial or a complete loss of touch with reality. We have one clown in here arguing that the scan of them holding a gun sideways is just do to incorrect understanding of how to hold a gun lol. This thread actually goes to show how out of touch on race most of anime watches possibly are.

Apr 30, 2016 7:14 PM

^or they hold the gun like that because they're roaches XD

The problem is black entitlement and the white man demonization.
Blacks are always the first ones to cry racism and think they can't be racist.

Apr 30, 2016 7:32 PM

"Racist"......"sexist" at this point.......due to the ridiculous number of times these words have been thrown around. They lose meaning and at this rate "continue" to lose meaning.

Jul 10, 11:39 PM
I do think it's racest because if you look at the manga the cockroaches have obvious tropes. They don't look like black people because they can't look exactly like black people and even if they did its like a really ugly and over the top depiction, those who don't see it.... The delusion is real, that being said I don't really care, my entertainment doesn't have to reflect my world view and guess what? I'm entertained.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]