Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2014 7:28 AM

May 2014
I'm babysitting my nephews this weekend (7 & 8 year olds) and was thinking I should introduce them to some anime. But it's gotta be something I would also enjoy sitting through. I want something fun, fast paced, and with action. A lot of the anime that I'd like to show them has just a bit too much boobs in it. I'm not too worried about foul language (most movies these days drop a bomb or two, so that's nothing they haven't already been exposed to). And I'm not overly worried about cartoon bloodshed. Mostly it's getting over the sexualism that shows up in most anime.

Fairy Tail has Lucy and some of the girls doing seductive bikini poses a bit too often. Which is shame, cause I adore that show and think they'd really like it.

Soul Eater might work, if I skip the scene in Ep. 1 when Soul falls into Blair's bathtub and gets a look at her naked. Though again, Blair pulls out the sexy kitty routine a bit too often. Another shame, cause this is one of my favorite animes too.

Kaze No Stigma might work (anyone remember if there's any questionable scenes in that?). I know her dress gets cut a few times, but I don't think there were any "Hey sailor, look at me in my sexy bikini" scenes in it.

Howl's Moving Castle is a bit more of a love story than I think the boys would like, but it's safe, gorgeously animated, and has a bit of action.

Nausicaa maybe. I think this one's at the top of my list of possibilities so far.

Spirited Away is great, but I think it might be a bit too surreal. I think they'd appreciate it more in a few more years. I dunno. It's an option at least.

Trigun: Badlands movie would be a lot of fun, but I think the scene with the guys on the train who try to attack the girl might be pushing it (nothing really happens, but their intentions might a bit much).

Sword Art Online (the first season)? That's safe, right? Even when they become a couple they keep it extremely kid-safe from what I remember.

Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple maybe? I remember thinking it seemed a bit silly to my adult senses, but that I was laughing and smiling ear-to-ear through the whole thing and kept clicking Next Episode despite it being "too silly". So maybe it'd be good for the boys. Anyone remember if there's any sexuality in it that might be too much? It's been ages since I watched it.

Avatar: The Last Airbender would be fantastic, but I think they've seen an episode or two already, and I really wanna stick to Japanese made stuff, to expose them to something they can't normally get at home.

Blue Exorcist maybe? Any opinions? I don't think it had anything in it that wouldn't be safe for kids.

Full Metal Alchemist is good, but probably a bit over their heads. Best to save that for when they're a tad older and they can appreciate it better.

Okay, that's all my ideas. Anyone else have suggestions? NOT Pokemon or Digimon or whatever. Sorry, I just can't sit through those myself. I guess that's half my problem. I want slightly more grown up anime, but I still want anime that's safe for kids at the same time. It's be great if I found a movie to watch, so they have closure and aren't hooked on a series that they can't finish, but I see them often enough that finishing it later isn't a problem. :)

Thanks gang!!!!
ZombiePenguinSep 24, 2014 8:19 AM
Sep 24, 2014 7:40 AM

Jun 2014
Gurren Laggan wouldn't be bad. There's a dub version too. I reckon kids would enjoy it. Not very deep but very entertaining.

Sword Art Online will corrupt the kids, no no.
Previously: BlueXRam
Sep 24, 2014 7:41 AM

Jul 2014
Nichijou should be a success with all age groups. Plenty of action-y slapstick humor, and very wholesome. It's also a masterpiece in animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfano8FvbB8
Sep 24, 2014 7:47 AM

May 2014
How will SOA corrupt the kids??
Sep 24, 2014 7:53 AM

Jun 2014
ZombiePenguin said:

It will corrupt them with poor mediocre anime.
Sep 24, 2014 7:57 AM

Jan 2009
Ghibli movies with adventure and fantasy like : Totoro, Nausicaa, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Cat returns
Summer Wars is a good familial movie with summer vacation in the countryside and cyber battles.
All are dubbed and could be enjoyed by adults and kids.

I recommend the reviews from this site to check the nudity and gore level
http://www.themanime.org/reviewlist.php
OkiuraSep 24, 2014 8:01 AM
Sep 24, 2014 7:59 AM

Jan 2011
Wolf Children

SAO season 1 isnt safe, the scene when a butterflyman molests the heroine comes to mind, i thought it was hillarous but little kids shouldnt watch that
Sep 24, 2014 7:59 AM

Sep 2013
Some dubbed ones
Ranma 1/2 - great comedy
Bleach - skip the fillers
Gurren Lagann - 10/10 enough said XD
Sgt Frog - comedy
Squid girl -comedy
One Piece - comedy and adventure (animation is fine, better than most cartoons these days)
Toriko - adventure and food ;)

ZombiePenguin said:

Just a SAO hater, pay no heed :(
ichii_1Sep 24, 2014 8:09 AM
Sep 24, 2014 8:02 AM

Nov 2010
One Piece
Sep 24, 2014 8:04 AM

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece

If you got them into One Piece that would be pretty great. Sadly they'd probably be turned off by the "outdated" animation. But hey they're 8 who knows. Maybe they'll want to keep watching it even when they get home.
Sep 24, 2014 8:16 AM

Mar 2012
For that age i would give them to watch Dragon Ball and Pokemon, any sports anime, some Ghibli movies and Disney cartoons.
Those you mentioned in 4 or 5 years.

huntxSep 24, 2014 8:43 AM
Sep 24, 2014 9:10 AM
Dec 2013
Inuyasha. Miroku is a perv but they did it in a funny way. I don't find it inappropriate. My 7 yr old nephew watches it.
Sep 24, 2014 9:14 AM

May 2014
Damn. I'm kinda mad at myself for not having Inuyasha on my list. Thanks.

I think I'll pull out a handful and just let the boys pick. Between my DVD collection, Hulu and Netflix, I've got almost everything covered. .... Knowing them, they'll just want to watch The Avengers again, which I've got noooo problem with, but c'mon, get some culture!! LOL.
Sep 24, 2014 9:45 AM

Oct 2012
Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8115/Uchuu_Show_e_Youkoso

I love this anime. Dunno why so few here on MAL has seen it, but it's really good, and anyone, any age can enjoy it.
Sep 24, 2014 9:51 AM

Feb 2014
My childhood anime was Dragon Ball , i really loved it when i was a kid , i think your nephews should watch it too :)
Sep 24, 2014 9:53 AM

Apr 2014
Well I think Boku no Pico would be a nice pick
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2014 10:49 AM

Oct 2011
Hey, I would definately recommend movies above series. Most series get serious at some point and I know, children can react strongly to them. I had a 8 year old girl to babysit and the couldnt stand to watch Chihiro...(okay, she was tired and worried about mommy, but hey...)

When you take Ghibli Movies, dont pick the strong ones like Mononoke...definately not for children. Take Ponyo, Totoro, Kiki, Ocean Waves, Castle in the sky, Whisper of the heart.

Most of the series are just not understandable and too much for an 8 year old...yo better consider marvel stuff/cartoons like bugs bunny and so on.
Sep 24, 2014 12:29 PM

May 2014
They've watched both Hobbit movies with me (and mostly followed it too, with a little bit of explaining here and there). If they can follow those movies, then I really think "Bugs Bunny" is a BIT too toddler'ish. And the older one has seen 2 episodes of Black Blood Brothers and really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure they'd be bored out of their mind with Totoro and Ponyo. But yes, Mononoke is a bit too strong for them (not that it's too scary or anything - the oldest is BEGGING to watch the movie Aliens - but too spiritual for them to grasp).
Sep 24, 2014 12:35 PM
Oct 2013
There's that recently finished anime -

Hunter X Hunter
Sep 24, 2014 12:44 PM

Jun 2011
Definitely go for Hikaru no Go. It's a coming of age story of a boy who started playing go after someone's influence. It's not fast paced and it's not a fighting anime, unfortunately.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 24, 2014 12:52 PM

Jun 2014
One piece definitely!
I have a little sister who loves anime and when I show it to her, so I know that When it come to avoiding fan service, you're going to have your work cut out for you. And since their eight, some of the more subtle series might fly over their head. SAO has fan service, just don't go anywhere near the second half, all the cousin/sibling romance might be too much for them, and remember there is some questionable stuff in the first half, like Kirito landing and squeezing asuna's... Yeah...

My recommendations:
One piece as I mentioned, I don't recall much fan service, but then again I haven't seen much.

My sister likes fullmetal alchemist, but it might be too violent and dark for them.

She also loves Noragami, and I like showing it to her since yato is awesome, there's lots of comedy, violence isn't really that realistic, and there's not much fan service, though there is a shower scene now and then.

It's not a anime, but I'd recommend showing them avatar the last air bender. That show is the greatest western animation of all time, and while it's not a anime, I highly recommend it.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Sep 24, 2014 12:57 PM

Feb 2013
ZombiePenguin said:

Blue Exorcist maybe? Any opinions? I don't think it had anything in it that wouldn't be safe for kids.

It has this girl

Sep 24, 2014 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
It's hard to find totally clear anime...but I'll give it a try...
They probably watched Digimon on TV but if they haven't that definitely go with it.
I enjoyed Digimon and there is nothing children shouldn't see in them.
It's been a long time since I watched them but I thing Magi or Shaman King will be a good choice too.
Sep 24, 2014 1:16 PM

Jan 2011
are you looking for action in particular?
if thats what you are looking for these ones ra every good, dont have fanservice either

Sword of the Stranger
The Lost Canvas Meiou Shinwa
Sep 24, 2014 1:58 PM

Jul 2013
What about sports anime? Like:
Kuroko no Basket
Ookiku Furikabutte
Haikyuu!!

or golden oldies: Prince of Tennis, Dear Boys, etc.

ones that I have yet to watch, but I think would still be appropriate:
Baby Steps
Diamond no Ace
Major

sports anime tend to send a really good message to about teamwork, working hard to improve yourself, never giving up, etc.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I think there is a hot springs episode in Kuroko no Basket, sorry not sure which season and can't remember how much is shown or not
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2014 2:02 PM

Dec 2013
Bleach I recommend and also Naruto. I think shounen are good to start with.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Sep 24, 2014 2:03 PM

May 2012
How about Magi? That kept me entertained, and I'm over sixty.

I'd show them a couple of episodes of Chi's Sweet Home and Higepiyo as an appetizer.

You might try something like Seirei no Moribito and see how that flies. It has a dub, too.

Most of my favorite stories about kids their age have girls as protagonists. If that's okay, then Dennou Coil would be at the top of my list.

I also endorse Summer Wars, though the parts of the story that focus on family life might a bit slow for them.
Sep 24, 2014 3:25 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah, Ghibli movies would be the best. Personally I'd recommend Castle in the Sky.
Sep 24, 2014 3:38 PM

Feb 2014
Shoujo anime usually work if it's for your nephews, but the type that has a male protagonist ;) I recommend Natsume Yuujincho, but then, are you looking for shows that are dubbed? Cuz I'm kinda kiffy on 8-year olds with iffy attention spans reading subs haha XD

If they watch subs animated shorts like Tonari no Seki-kun would really fit what you're looking for imo. They're 7 min long per ep and to the point. :)

If it's movies, any Ghibli, or even better, Ookami Kodomo Ame no Ame to Yuki ("Wolf Children" in dubbed release). Tho there might be parts in it that aren't exactly PG, but then when I look at yur list none of them are either besides Ghibli movies lolz. Otherwise, more known dubbed shows like Digimon, Yugioh, Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto (not Shippuden), One Piece (Screw Bleach and its crap fillers) would work fine.

edit: Avoid anything with heavy fan-service ofc. Look for adventure/ supernatural/slice of life genres :P
GenocyberSep 24, 2014 3:42 PM

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Sep 24, 2014 10:56 PM

Jul 2013
Usagi Drop is about a guy raising a kid. Very Kid Friendly well for the most part.
Sep 24, 2014 10:59 PM

Jul 2014
Summer Wars
Sep 24, 2014 11:11 PM

Jan 2013
Pokemon? No? I must be the only one.
Sep 25, 2014 12:51 AM

May 2013
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Sep 25, 2014 12:58 AM

Nov 2009
Rurouni Kenshin! That shit was dope when I was around 10. Also why not go with the big 3? I mean I guess it might sound cliche . . . But there is a reason they are so big. Of them I would recommend One Piece, as it probably appeals to Western children more than Naruto / Bleach (Would actually not recommend bleach, for other reasons) . . . But not joking. Showing shounens the biggest shounens in anime is kind of a good idea.
Sep 25, 2014 1:45 AM

Feb 2014
This post makes me think back to the weird dark shit I was watching at 8 and not fully grasping what it was XD Not that I'm telling you to have them watch weird dark stuff...I just thought that was funny...anywho...

Inuyasha +1
Naruto +1
Pokemon +1
and also all those Ghibli movies people mentioned.
Sep 27, 2014 3:11 AM
Dec 2013
badwolf45f said:
ZombiePenguin said:

It has this girl

Hahahahahaha. Sorry, it's funny....
Sep 27, 2014 7:00 AM

Apr 2014
Anything with paedophilia.

No Game No Life is good for pretty much all age groups above the age of 16

If anything, I would go for Full Metal Panic! series or Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu series. Anything with a lot of comedy is best.
if you run you get faster to your location

have a nice day
- FALL3RE

More topics from this board

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - 8 hours ago

3 by Toha »»
22 minutes ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

67 by Natedog22 »»
2 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
4 hours ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - Apr 19

21 by radrocket »»
6 hours ago

» ntr doujin?

3hitcombo - 11 hours ago

1 by Knighty_IX »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.