Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
Is Slaine Troyard a good character?
Sep 20, 2014 10:31 PM

Oct 2013
I would argue that Slaine is a very, very well written character. Say what you want about Aldnoah.Zero's other characters and plot, but to me, Slaine is complex, multifaceted, and above all: human. Unlike that piece of shit Inaho, the final episode established that Slaine makes mistakes and is not some predictable goody-two-shoes nor is he a gary stu. His fleshed out personality and motivations add to this intruige. He and his interactions with the other characters have singlehandedly made an otherwise forgettable cast a memorable one.

I stand firmly in the camp of Team Slaine.
Link_of_HyruleSep 20, 2014 10:43 PM
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 20, 2014 10:35 PM
Jul 2014
He is nor good nor bad...just extremely loyal and without a clear standing position.
Sep 20, 2014 10:37 PM

Feb 2013
Link_of_Hyrule said:
I would argue that Slaine is a very, very well written character. Say what you want about Aldnoah.Zero's other characters and plot, but to me, Slaine is complex, multifaceted, and above all: human. Unlike that piece of shit Inaho, the final episode established that Slaine makes mistakes and is not some predictable goody-two-shoes nor is he a gary stu. His fleshed out personality and motivations add to this intruige. He and his interactions with the other characters have singlehandedly made an otherwise forgettable cast of a memorable one.

Hoo, saved the one that want kill his precious make him a good character? Really!???
Slaine is the worst characterisation in the series, keep stick together with culprit of this stupid war and even saved him and then realise he kill your precious? He, actually must flee from war when he release by saazbaum, and try to save Seylum. But he don't. Good
Sep 20, 2014 10:40 PM

Aug 2013
top 5 retarded characters of all time
Sep 20, 2014 10:41 PM

Jan 2013
depends on where he goes from here.
Sep 20, 2014 10:42 PM

Nov 2008
Good or not, Slaine will be slain at the end of this series

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Sep 20, 2014 10:42 PM

Jan 2009
his error killed 2 main characters in just like 1 minute lol

Sep 20, 2014 10:46 PM

Oct 2013
The puns are strong with this thread
Sep 20, 2014 10:59 PM

Oct 2013
Just realized how ironic Slaine's "good luck charm" was...

http://imgur.com/eUu5wZ7
Sep 20, 2014 11:06 PM

Jan 2013
i bet the charm blocked the bullet that desployed her head shield.

shes not dead.

0 percent chance that shes dead.
Sep 20, 2014 11:22 PM

Oct 2013
SolviteSekai said:
i bet the charm blocked the bullet that desployed her head shield.

shes not dead.

0 percent chance that shes dead.
We need someone to draw a head shield. Now.

Why the fuck do I find that image so amusing?
Sep 20, 2014 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
One thing that is absolutely certain is that he is just plain awful at marksmanship. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Inaho lives simply because Slaine only nicked his ear or something.
Sep 21, 2014 12:21 AM

Jul 2013
A bad character because the writing behind him is utterly horrendous.
"I've always seen failure as a possibility, but never as an option."
vndb||Serumeito Twitter||Discord: Bunny of Wrath#3201
Sep 21, 2014 1:01 AM

Jun 2009
hes a piece of shit.
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Sep 21, 2014 1:25 AM
Jan 2011
alchem1485 said:
Link_of_Hyrule said:
I would argue that Slaine is a very, very well written character. Say what you want about Aldnoah.Zero's other characters and plot, but to me, Slaine is complex, multifaceted, and above all: human. Unlike that piece of shit Inaho, the final episode established that Slaine makes mistakes and is not some predictable goody-two-shoes nor is he a gary stu. His fleshed out personality and motivations add to this intruige. He and his interactions with the other characters have singlehandedly made an otherwise forgettable cast of a memorable one.

Hoo, saved the one that want kill his precious make him a good character? Really!???
Slaine is the worst characterisation in the series, keep stick together with culprit of this stupid war and even saved him and then realise he kill your precious? He, actually must flee from war when he release by saazbaum, and try to save Seylum. But he don't. Good

In Slaine's defence, he may not think about it at all. The heat of the battle and Saazbaum was losing - he save Saazbaum because of gratitude and was betrayed...
Sep 21, 2014 1:26 AM

Apr 2013
he is retarded, but he makes for a good fanatical crazy antagonist for season 2
Sep 21, 2014 2:33 AM

Apr 2013
Hahaha that poll.

"Is he a good or bad character?"

"Yes"
Sep 21, 2014 2:35 AM

May 2014
OP,you should change the title of your thread.
Sep 21, 2014 2:36 AM

Apr 2008
He is a retarded character with fake complexity that the masses seem to gravitate towards like brainless moths
Sep 21, 2014 2:43 AM

Nov 2013
He is definitely a pretty realistic character if one can consider his thought process, but what he had done probably has incur the wrath of half the community while the Slaine fangirls are still pissing in their pants or something. I am on the fence for this one
Anime gave me more life lessons than school
Sep 21, 2014 2:47 AM

May 2014
Bad retarded character (my answer since the poll.... should be corrected or the thread title.
Sep 21, 2014 3:14 AM

Aug 2011
It's hilarious that all what he "probably" succeed to do during these 12 episodes was to shot three people. I'm still interested to know what he does next although I can't take him seriously.
Sep 21, 2014 11:09 AM

Oct 2013
darkreaperix said:
Bad retarded character (my answer since the poll.... should be corrected or the thread title.
The poll clearly states "Is Slaine Troyard a good character?" "yes" or "no".

I know that reading is hard, but is it necessary to leave 3 posts telling me to correct something that doesn't need to be corrected?
Sep 21, 2014 11:22 AM

Aug 2009
Link_of_Hyrule said:
I would argue that Slaine is a very, very well written character. Say what you want about Aldnoah.Zero's other characters and plot, but to me, Slaine is complex, multifaceted, and above all: human. Unlike that piece of shit Inaho, the final episode established that Slaine makes mistakes and is not some predictable goody-two-shoes nor is he a gary stu. His fleshed out personality and motivations add to this intruige. He and his interactions with the other characters have singlehandedly made an otherwise forgettable cast a memorable one.

I agree. Inaho is just one of these 'too perfect' characters which appear too often in animes (and are over-hyped like hell), while Slaine is very human in comparison. He makes lots of mistakes, but he got his strong emotions which make him even capable of enduring a long torture. Most people who hate him would probably do much worse in his role.

Still, we shouldn't forget that a second season is still coming. Let's see how Slaine does there.
Sep 21, 2014 11:27 AM

Apr 2008
mrmuk said:
Link_of_Hyrule said:

I agree. Inaho is just one of these 'too perfect' characters which appear too often in animes (and are over-hyped like hell), while Slaine is very human in comparison. He makes lots of mistakes, but he got his strong emotions which make him even capable of enduring a long torture. Most people who hate him would probably do much worse in his role.

Still, we shouldn't forget that a second season is still coming. Let's see how Slaine does there.

Makes lots of mistakes. Mistakes is ALL he makes
Sep 21, 2014 11:39 AM

Jan 2012
He's a retard. That's pretty much all I can say. He hasn't done anything right in the entire series. He f**s up literally everything.

Oh, look!! The guy who tried to kill Asseylum is losing in a fight! BETTER HELP HIM FAST!!!!

He isn't being loyal. He's just retarded as f**k. Should make up his decision instead of changing it every episode. One episode he's the good guy, the other he's the bad one. And the statement that he's human, because of what he does. Um....yeh....as if a human could endure so much torture without breaking. I'd tell them everything before they even started. Just kill me fast and painlessly, please.

TL;DR: Slaine is a retard who won't be missed if he dies(slowly and painfully).
Sep 21, 2014 11:49 AM

Dec 2012
Darklight0303 said:
He is a retarded character with fake complexity that the masses seem to gravitate towards like brainless moths
Perhaps but he's not poorly written just because he does something that meddles with logic nerds' desired outcome.
Sep 21, 2014 11:49 AM

Aug 2009
Darklight0303 said:

- He endured the torture as long as necessary
- He helped out Inaho & co. in the fight at Taneshi-something
- He killed that annoying Trillram guy

Also, about last ep. He saved the count. What is so abnormal about it? Remember that the last time he met the count, he was treating Slaine well? Of course, some time given, one should realize that he is the enemy. Then again, in his situation, he had to make a split-second decision: Save the guy who treated you well (given the situation), or just let him die? Most humans without a spine would just do nothing and run away. Humans acting only on rational thought, i.e. almost robot-like persons like Inaho, would explicitly choose to let him die. And the rest of the humans would try to save the person, not thinking about long-term consequences. In his case, he suffered from the consequences just minutes later. A nice scene, actually.
Sep 21, 2014 11:51 AM

Apr 2008
mrmuk said:
Darklight0303 said:

Also, about last ep. He saved the count. What is so abnormal about it? Remember that the last time he met the count, he was treating Slaine well? Of course, some time given, one should realize that he is the enemy. Then again, in his situation, he had to make a split-second decision: Save the guy who treated you well (given the situation), or just let him die? Most humans without a spine would just do nothing and run away. Humans acting only on rational thought, i.e. almost robot-like persons like Inaho, would explicitly choose to let him die. And the rest of the humans would try to save the person, not thinking about long-term consequences. In his case, he suffered from the consequences just minutes later. A nice scene, actually.
mrmuk said:
Darklight0303 said:

What is so abnormal is that Sazbaum made it clear that he won't rest until the princess is dead. Saving him doomed the princess even if Sazbaum didn't shoot her this ep.
Sep 21, 2014 11:57 AM

Oct 2006
Link_of_Hyrule said:
darkreaperix said:
The poll clearly states "Is Slaine Troyard a good character?" "yes" or "no".

I know that reading is hard, but is it necessary to leave 3 posts telling me to correct something that doesn't need to be corrected?

This is MAL. They can't help it.
Sep 21, 2014 12:02 PM

Aug 2009
Darklight0303 said:
What is so abnormal is that Sazbaum made it clear that he won't rest until the princess is dead. Saving him doomed the princess even if Sazbaum didn't shoot her this ep.

As I said, it was a split-second decision. In Slaine's head, the images of the count where he treated him well still lingered in his head.

Try to imagine, you are wounded, and Adolf Hitler (or some other evil guy) picks you up. He treats your wound, gives you food, etc. Though you are supposed to know he's evil, in those moments, you get a different image of him. Maybe not that of a friend, but neither that of someone you would kill without hesitation or let die in front of your eyes. Then, seconds later, he kills lots of people, and the image you had of him based on your interaction with his person completely shatters.

Same situation with Slaine. He knows that the count is his enemy, but when he sees that this person, who kinda saved him, is about to get killed, he makes the almost instictual decision to save him from sure death. Not a logical decision, but a humane one. In that split-second, it didn't come to his mind that seconds later the count could do something like that. The "I should have known" is quite a common human behavior, I'd say.
Sep 21, 2014 12:11 PM

Jan 2014
mrmuk said:
Darklight0303 said:

As I said, it was a split-second decision. In Slaine's head, the images of the count where he treated him well still lingered in his head.

Try to imagine, you are wounded, and Adolf Hitler (or some other evil guy) picks you up. He treats your wound, gives you food, etc. Though you are supposed to know he's evil, in those moments, you get a different image of him. Maybe not that of a friend, but neither that of someone you would kill without hesitation or let die in front of your eyes. Then, seconds later, he kills lots of people, and the image you had of him based on your interaction with his person completely shatters.

Same situation with Slaine. He knows that the count is his enemy, but when he sees that this person, who kinda saved him, is about to get killed, he makes the almost instictual decision to save him from sure death. Not a logical decision, but a humane one. In that split-second, it didn't come to his mind that seconds later the count could do something like that. The "I should have known" is quite a common human behavior, I'd say.

No. If that Adolf Hitler insists on killing my family/my love, I will killl him myself. :))

I only say "I should have known" if I don't know the consequences. But Slaine knows that. Saazbaum will kill Hime no matter what. Or you suggest that Saazbaum's words are just jokes to Slaine?
Sep 21, 2014 12:18 PM

Jul 2008
icontinuetofight said:
top 5 retarded characters of all time

xSanox said:
he is retarded, but he makes for a good fanatical crazy antagonist for season 2

Darklight0303 said:
He is a retarded

darkreaperix said:

zum_bum said:
He's a retard.

I agree with the comments above. Definitely retarded.
Sep 21, 2014 12:24 PM

Aug 2009
chickenonthepan said:
No. If that Adolf Hitler insists on killing my family/my love, I will killl him myself. :))

I'd love to see that^^

Joke aside, the point is, I think for most human, it is very hard to actually kill someone (of course, there are exceptions). Most of us have this barrier of morals and stuff, so even if we wanted, I think most would hesitate a lot before actually killing down someone, even if you know about his intentions.

chickenonthepan said:
I only say "I should have known" if I don't know the consequences. But Slaine knows that. Saazbaum will kill Hime no matter what. Or you suggest that Saazbaum's words are just jokes to Slaine?

I wouldn't say Saazbaum's words were a joke to him, but maybe it just didn't click to him at that time. Again, with the (stupid) Hitler comparison, in the case where he treats you well, you wouldn't think that this person, who is treating you so nice in this moment, would actually do all the crazy stuff he's talking about. Until he actually does it.

I want to add that we shouldn't forget this is all fiction. A writer wrote this character and his actions, and I'm just trying to comprehend why the writer let his character do the things he does. In the end, the writer could have just thought "Hey, him doing this would be funny" or he could have actually put some thought behind it. Perhaps, the way the writer thought isn't the way an average human thinks. Or maybe it is, but in animes, we just expect something else from characters.
Sep 21, 2014 12:25 PM

Apr 2008
mrmuk said:
chickenonthepan said:

I'd love to see that^^

Joke aside, the point is, I think for most human, it is very hard to actually kill someone (of course, there are exceptions). Most of us have this barrier of morals and stuff, so even if we wanted, I think most would hesitate a lot before actually killing down someone, even if you know about his intentions.

chickenonthepan said:

Not a joke, but maybe it just didn't click to him at that time. Again, with the (stupid) Hitler comparison, in the case where he treats you well, you wouldn't think that this person, who is treating you so nice in this moment, would actually do all the crazy stuff he's talking about. Until he actually does it.

I want to add that we shouldn't forget this is all fiction. A writer wrote this character and his actions, and I'm just trying to comprehend why the writer let his character do the things he does. In the end, the writer could have just thought "Hey, him doing this would be funny" or he could have actually put some thought behind it. Perhaps, the way the writer thought isn't the way an average human thinks. Or maybe it is, but in animes, we just expect something else from characters.

Writer influence or not it doesn't change that it makes him a bad character.
Sep 21, 2014 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
Darklight0303 said:

I'd like to ask, what is a bad character in your opinion?
Sep 21, 2014 12:30 PM

Apr 2008
mrmuk said:
Darklight0303 said:

A character that doesn't influence the series for over 90% of its duration only to royally fuck up everything right at the end and go insane.
Sep 21, 2014 12:39 PM

Jul 2008
Darklight0303 said:
mrmuk said:

A character that doesn't influence the series for over 90% of its duration only to royally fuck up everything right at the end and go insane.

That sounds like a great character if done correctly. Unfortunately it wasn't.
Sep 21, 2014 12:41 PM

Oct 2013
Darklight0303 said:
Perhaps but he's not poorly written just because he does something that meddles with logic nerds' desired outcome.
THIS^^
Sep 21, 2014 12:45 PM

Oct 2013
zum_bum said:
He's a retard. That's pretty much all I can say. He hasn't done anything right in the entire series. He f**s up literally everything.

Oh, look!! The guy who tried to kill Asseylum is losing in a fight! BETTER HELP HIM FAST!!!!

He isn't being loyal. He's just retarded as f**k. Should make up his decision instead of changing it every episode. One episode he's the good guy, the other he's the bad one. And the statement that he's human, because of what he does. Um....yeh....as if a human could endure so much torture without breaking. I'd tell them everything before they even started. Just kill me fast and painlessly, please.

He had no idea the princess was even on this ship, much less in any immediate danger. This comment is just totally incoherent.
Sep 21, 2014 12:46 PM

Oct 2013
Darklight0303 said:
mrmuk said:

How did he not influence the story? He was arguably the most important character in the entire show. You can't be serious.
Sep 21, 2014 12:46 PM

Apr 2008
Link_of_Hyrule said:
zum_bum said:

He had no idea the princess was even on this ship, much less in any immediate danger. This comment is just totally incoherent.

There is no reason for Sazbaum to be in the castle other than the Princess being in the castle. Your argument is denied

Link_of_Hyrule said:
How did he not influence the story? He was arguably the most important character in the entire show. You can't be serious.

No that's Inaho and second is the princess.
Sep 21, 2014 1:07 PM

Oct 2013
Darklight0303 said:

There is no reason for Sazbaum to be in the castle other than the Princess being in the castle. Your argument is denied

They deployed the landing castle to attack Earth and eventually find the princess. They had no idea that the ship carrying the princess would board the castle.

Darklight0303 said:

It's debatable which of the 3 was most important, but to say that Slaine did nothing is both incorrect and stupid.
Sep 21, 2014 1:22 PM

Nov 2012
Link_of_Hyrule said:
Darklight0303 said:

They deployed the landing castle to attack Earth and eventually find the princess. They had no idea that the ship carrying the princess would board the castle.

Darklight0303 said:

It's debatable which of the 3 was most important, but to say that Slaine did nothing is both incorrect and stupid.

princess asspull was needed to announce her safety to stop war
without inaho, she wont be safe till russia
without slaine helping vs the bitch, inaho would die, with the princess too

and turns out that princess safety is useless, vers dont care at all
so, the conclusion... all those 3 are worthless and not important at all

saazbaum > all
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 21, 2014 1:31 PM

Apr 2008
Link_of_Hyrule said:
Darklight0303 said:

Darklight0303 said:

You are missing the point. Sazbaum made it his personal mission to hunt down the Princess. If Sazbaum was fighting in his very own castle that means the princess was there.
Sep 21, 2014 2:06 PM

Oct 2013
Darklight0303 said:
Link_of_Hyrule said:

You are missing the point. Sazbaum made it his personal mission to hunt down the Princess. If Sazbaum was fighting in his very own castle that means the princess was there.
No, he was fighting in his own castle because Earth's forces were deployed to board the ship. Even if it was possible to deduce that the princess was on the ship, it's unreasonable to expect Slaine to do so in a split second.
Sep 21, 2014 2:06 PM

Feb 2014
He's an alright character. Slaine mostly acts on emotions, but most of his decisions aren't bad decisions. His actions aren't brilliant decisions like Inaho, but they do make some sort of sense. Since he has no power in the Vers Empire he had to act rashly and do things like steal that ship to find Asseylum. Actually stealing the ship was a good decision, but in the end it failed because he didn't predict that Inaho would shoot him down in the end. Most of Slaine's decisions end in failure through means that he cannot control, but he still tries because he needs the princess safe.
The only thing that might bring him down is his decision in episode 12. But he dislikes both Inaho and Saazbaum so his dislike for Inaho could have outweighed his dislike for Saazbaum. If he didn't protect Saazbaum then Inaho would have most likely tried to kill him. I won't deny it was a horrible decision, but I think that there could be some type of reason behind why he did what he did. Either way I don't think that his decision could made down right hate his character. I'm disappointed in the character, but I can't bring myself to hate the guy.
Pik3RobSep 21, 2014 2:43 PM
We need as much lewdness as we can possibly get. ~ Komine Sachi
Sep 21, 2014 2:12 PM

Mar 2012
Pik3Rob said:
He's an alright character. Slaine mostly acts on emotions, but most of his decisions aren't bad decisions. His actions aren't brilliant decisions like Inaho, but they do make some sort of sense. Since he has no power in the Vers Empire he had to act rashly and do things like steal that ship to find Asseylum. Actually stealing the ship was a good decision, but in the end it failed because he didn't predict that Inaho would shoot him down in the end. Most of Slaine's decisions end in failure through means that he cannot control, but he still tries because he needs the princess safe.
The only thing that might bring him down is his decision in episode 8. But he dislikes both Inaho and Saazbaum so his dislike for Inaho could have outweighed his dislike for Saazbaum. If he didn't protect Saazbaum then Inaho would have most likely tried to kill him. I won't deny it was a horrible decision, but I think that there could be some type of reason behind why he did what he did. Either way I don't think that his decision could made down right hate his character. I'm disappointed in the character, but I can't bring myself to hate the guy.
That and the fact that Slaine had never really stopped fighting for Vers. It took a random Vers soldier that saved him to make him realize he was fighting against Terrans. The Terrans including Inaho were his enemies on the battlefield regardless of his desire to find and protect the princess. He was always submissive to the Martians even when they treated him like garbage. So Slaine helping Saazbuam against "Orange" was likely since Saazbaum showed him some kindness while Orange had already previously shot him down and left him for dead. When he saw Saazbuam vs Inaho, the choice was clear even if the count wanted Assyelum dead.
Sep 21, 2014 2:38 PM
May 2014
I voted "bad", but he isn't really an extremely bad character. It's just that he doesn't really get enough exposure to warrant his importance in the ending.

You never really learn *why* he is so loyal to his superiors. It's especially completely unclear why he is loyal to Saazbaum all of a sudden. Because he saved him from torture perhaps? But then he was willing to endure that torture just to make his former superior realise his error, only to immediately switch camps afterwards.

His behaviour is weird to say the least and it is never explained WHY he thinks as he thinks. Only his loyalty to Seylum is explained and his love is implied.
Sep 22, 2014 4:28 AM

Apr 2010
There are no words for me to describe how I feel about Slaine.
Never ignore a person who loves you, cares for you, and misses you. Because one day, you might wake up from your sleep and realize that you lost the moon while counting the stars.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2014

544 by Softhenic03 »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2014

622 by Softhenic03 »»
Yesterday, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2121 by Sakio »»
Apr 7, 2:31 PM

» Romance ? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shomix - Jul 22, 2014

396 by srujan26 »»
Dec 7, 2023 3:27 AM

» Sequel ?

Destined321 - Oct 12, 2023

7 by Destined321 »»
Oct 23, 2023 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.