Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 20, 2014 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp and we see some bromance moments with Masaki and his friend. Death flag triggered

Well, if they're going to go with the invasion still, they might as well go out with a bang. They really tried to go all with this fight though...Oh well. I think they will wrap this up next time. Praise Miyuki
Sep 20, 2014 8:56 AM

Nov 2007
Main guy suited and destroyed the screens (wow, that is the meaning of releasing his power). Kirito guy stayed as a part of first son of "Ichijou".

The first year knows that he is the main guy, when he came to save the excavation group? Ice power to stop the gun shot and wow, his curing magic.

One more ep.
tsubasaloverSep 24, 2014 7:41 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 20, 2014 9:39 AM
Oct 2012
Mostly a good episode, they did Masaki very well, and the fluidity of the episode was done right, but as I have been saying 20 episodes I think now, they continue to go out of their way to minimize Erika and Miyuki.

While they showed Orochimaru, there was nothing in there about how Erika receiving this sword was her official acceptance into the Chiba family nor again just how happy she is with it and with having the chance to kill people. It's like the adapters are afraid that they will lose fans if they divert from "Cute Erika" ignoring that this isn't the reason readers like Erika.

Miyuki's scene was all wrong, we got absolutely no sense of how powerful and terrifying her spell and indeed she is. First when she jumped out of the helicopter her magical interference was so powerful that no one could cast magic (including Mari), second it doesn't "freeze" their bodies, it freezes their minds. Third it is omnidirectional, the attackers were not in convenient mass. Fourth everyone felt it, so it should have been animated like a pulse. Fifth, everyone outside of Erika were terrified by the spell and her as well as they should be: she can look at people and they die. She doesn't need a CAD (they at least showed that properly), it kiills who she wants and spares who she wants, its a magic so far outside of the normal realm that the reaction should have been animated.

Perhaps these are minor points, but for me both scenes were favorites of mine and I think both would have been good scenes to spend a little more time on.
Sep 20, 2014 10:00 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Mostly a good episode, they did Masaki very well, and the fluidity of the episode was done right, but as I have been saying 20 episodes I think now, they continue to go out of their way to minimize Erika and Miyuki.

While they showed Orochimaru, there was nothing in there about how Erika receiving this sword was her official acceptance into the Chiba family nor again just how happy she is with it and with having the chance to kill people. It's like the adapters are afraid that they will lose fans if they divert from "Cute Erika" ignoring that this isn't the reason readers like Erika.

Miyuki's scene was all wrong, we got absolutely no sense of how powerful and terrifying her spell and indeed she is. First when she jumped out of the helicopter her magical interference was so powerful that no one could cast magic (including Mari), second it doesn't "freeze" their bodies, it freezes their minds. Third it is omnidirectional, the attackers were not in convenient mass. Fourth everyone felt it, so it should have been animated like a pulse. Fifth, everyone outside of Erika were terrified by the spell and her as well as they should be: she can look at people and they die. She doesn't need a CAD (they at least showed that properly), it kiills who she wants and spares who she wants, its a magic so far outside of the normal realm that the reaction should have been animated.

Perhaps these are minor points, but for me both scenes were favorites of mine and I think both would have been good scenes to spend a little more time on.

Cocytus was such a disappointment, to be honest. And since there wasn't any explanation of the magic, it looked just like her regular ice magic. The anime has had a problem with the reactions of people to magic. The people watching never show the reaction the source material goes to the trouble to describe. It sucks because it's these reactions that shows you what's normal and what isn't in Mahoukaverse.

I don't think your points are minor. They're important because they help set up the context for other things.

Anyway, Masaki's Rupture was just as I imagined it to be. I hardly think it could have been messed up. And they did show 3rd High's reaction to the gore of his magic. I can only imagine how it must have looked and smelled to them. Without Volume 5 shedding some light on the nature of the relationship between Masaki and George, I would have thought their little scene was a yaoi-pandering one though.
OpalMidgeSep 20, 2014 10:05 AM
Sep 20, 2014 10:04 AM

Apr 2008
millie10468 said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Cocytus was such a disappointment, to be honest. And since there wasn't any explanation of the magic, it looked just like her regular ice magic. The anime has had a problem with the reactions of people to magic. The people watching never show the reaction the source material goes to the trouble to describe. It sucks because it's these reactions that shows you what's normal and what isn't in Mahoukaverse.

They at least got the reactions to Rupture down right
Sep 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Jul 2009
not pleased. Erika and toshizoku scenes have been shorten. everything has been shorten ...
bruh
Sep 20, 2014 10:33 AM
Apr 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

I feel you bro; they down graded Erika and Miyuki too much well not as much as Mayumi,Honoka and Shizuku who got their characters completely killed but damn I wish to see those things animated. It was better to have drop the anime and stick with my imaginations.

They made Miyuki's Cocystus like her Nifelhiem except the enemy doesnt freezed outside but turns Black & White; Erika Yamatsunami turned into just a big yellow flash; the game "Lost Zero" portrayed it more awesome than this sh*t.
Sep 20, 2014 10:59 AM

Aug 2014
kei78 said:
not pleased. Erika and toshizoku scenes have been shorten. everything has been shorten ...

You shouldn't be too surprised considering how much material was left to cover and with only two episodes left (now currently with one episode remaining) they're bound to cut corners here and there. -_-
GrimlokkSep 20, 2014 11:29 AM
Sep 20, 2014 11:56 AM
Oct 2013
yea not pleased....trying to do what should take 4 episode into 2.....not cool. But Rupture was good atleast
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as

Apr 2014
damn you suzaku you are scary

a lot of blood and death for this ep

only one left hope they dont ruin it

Jun 2012
I really hope that they have a season 2 of this anime, also maybe a movie to redo this arc and give everyone the proper amount of screen time as well as not shorten miyuki's and erika's scenes.

Sees like tatsuya can do anything, just showing up and being op and sht.
Over all i give this episode 5/5
Sep 20, 2014 12:00 PM

Aug 2014
Cocytus looked extremely lame. Another week for finale and more god onii sama ;)

Sep 20, 2014 12:04 PM

Nov 2012
Nice episode,
For some reason when Tatsuya was changing into that suit, batman came to my mind.
Masaki, what a scary guy, he should maybe take it a little more easy.
Best part, actually only part I really care was Mayumi mocking Tatsuya from the helicopter since I'll never lose faith to see one day Mayumi x Tatsuya.
Sep 20, 2014 12:05 PM

Jan 2014
episode is a bit lacking for me..., even though there is action..I feel a bit this episode is missing some bad-ass action from onii-sama..even though that regeneration magic was pretty cool...I hope they show more action on the last episode...honestly I was a bit bored on this one...
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Sep 20, 2014 12:06 PM

Dec 2012
Suzaku Masaki has to be my favorite character, definitely turned out to be far different from what I imagined when I first saw him in the OP. If only he got more screentime. As expected from Onii-Christ-sama, he can heal the blind and cure the sick. "You did great" - Miyuki just came.

Also not sure what it is about this show, but it's been reminding me of Strike the Blood meets Toaru Railgun.
Sep 20, 2014 12:11 PM

Jan 2012
Masaki's spell sure is gruesome...

And lol how Tatsuya just popped out of nowhere when Miyuki called him xD Guess he was nearby? ^^"
Sep 20, 2014 12:11 PM

Jul 2012
millie10468 said:

Anyway, Masaki's Rupture was just as I imagined it to be. I hardly think it could have been messed up.

I'm really not sure about that. The "splattering" looked far too liquid(?) to me. I thought rupture was supposed to vaporize liquids, with the resulting pressure spraying red blood cells out of cracks/fissures in the body. The way it was shown didn't really give me the impression of "crimson flowers blooming" or however it was written. Think I'll reread that chapter.

Completely agree, though, with Cocytus and Erika being drastically downplayed.
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Sep 20, 2014 12:14 PM

Apr 2013
Not a bad continuation on last week's action. More of the other characters finally got in on the OP bandwagon making Omnii-sama take a back seat (at least for a little bit). And that ending sequence was hilarious. Onii-sama was like...

Sep 20, 2014 12:16 PM

Aug 2010
Jesus Tatsuya has descended XD I wonder if they'll explain that he

Pretty good ep. The Kirihara and Kei scene was quite :O when they got shot ^^; Protecting their women before anything else :3

Mayumi's sticking her tongue out at Tatsuya was lol and cute :3

Masaki's Rupture and the reactions to it were nicely and brutally done ^^

Only one ep left lol
Sep 20, 2014 12:17 PM

Jul 2009
that was not epic as i thought it would be. spoilers from last week's thread made it seem like tatsuya was gonna go HAMMM. but nope, just a power rangers suit with him punching his crotch every time he wants to fly. ROFL.
KurogashiSep 20, 2014 1:05 PM
Sep 20, 2014 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
jose21 said:
Nice episode,
For some reason when Tatsuya was changing into that suit, batman came to my mind.
Masaki, what a scary guy, he should maybe take it a little more easy.
Best part, actually only part I really care was Mayumi mocking Tatsuya from the helicopter since I'll never lose faith to see one day Mayumi x Tatsuya.

Hahaha! it's funny that you mention batman, but that doesn't happen until volume 12 XD
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Sep 20, 2014 12:19 PM

Oct 2013
Kurogashi said:
that was not epic as i thought it would be. spoilers from last week's thread made it seem like tatsuya was gonna go HAMMM. but nope, just a power rangers suit with him bunch his crotch every time he wants to fly. ROFL.

He hasn't gone all out yet. And if I remember correctly, people were saying it would be other's time to shine in this episode.
Sep 20, 2014 12:22 PM
May 2013
Kurogashi said:
that was not epic as i thought it would be. spoilers from last week's thread made it seem like tatsuya was gonna go HAMMM. but nope, just a power rangers suit with him bunch his crotch every time he wants to fly. ROFL.

That's because the limiters don't really make him more powerful, he becomes only able to use the magic he used in the intro of the first episode freely. His psion count release is rather irrelevant since there are CADs.
Sep 20, 2014 12:24 PM
Sep 2014
Great episode overall. Nice pace... Though.. It could have been done without Tatsuya making little sister orgasm at the end :P
Sep 20, 2014 12:25 PM
Sep 2014
jose21 said:

I'm with you on that boat!
Sep 20, 2014 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
By far the worst episode yet, it was extremely rushed. Madhouse completely fucked up this episode! Character development gets butchered once again. They totally skipped the whole part where Suzune got taken hostage and we find out she's an Extra because of her magic that can affect the nervous system.
Takuan_Soho said:
Miyuki's scene was all wrong, we got absolutely no sense of how powerful and terrifying her spell and indeed she is. First when she jumped out of the helicopter her magical interference was so powerful that no one could cast magic (including Mari), second it doesn't "freeze" their bodies, it freezes their minds. Third it is omnidirectional, the attackers were not in convenient mass. Fourth everyone felt it, so it should have been animated like a pulse. Fifth, everyone outside of Erika were terrified by the spell and her as well as they should be: she can look at people and they die. She doesn't need a CAD (they at least showed that properly), it kills who she wants and spares who she wants, its a magic so far outside of the normal realm that the reaction should have been animated.

Pretty much this. They also didn't show Tatsuya sweating because of the pain when he healed Isori and Kirihara.
Sep 20, 2014 12:28 PM

Aug 2014
millie10468 said:
Kurogashi said:

He hasn't gone all out yet. And if I remember correctly, people were saying it would be other's time to shine in this episode.

There were other characters? No way!!!!

Jokes aside yeah I didn't get the impression that they gave other characters a chance to shine it was more like they got a chance to just flash and that was it.
The only person in this episode who got a chance to shine was Suzaku (AKA: Masaki, Crimson Prince, Poor Man's Tatsuya); everyone else was either very brief or static.
Sep 20, 2014 12:34 PM

Nov 2011
I was waiting Tatsuya to say: Everyone gets one." after he resurrecting those two.
Sep 20, 2014 12:39 PM
Jul 2014
Crying because one episode left. :cccc

It was really cool the action scenes, but I wanted some more screentime from the other characters. Judging by how the others have reacted here, our cast have more OPness than first thought, and perhaps more than what the anime depicted, but oh well.

"She's a barrel of laughs". Oh, how much I love you, Mayumi.
Sep 20, 2014 12:39 PM

Feb 2014
Oniisama is now a more powerful being than god, we need a new name for him.
Sep 20, 2014 12:40 PM
Jan 2013
Geeez, They're on top as usual, man we didn't get to see any formidable opponent that will give there guys a hell of a time.
Sep 20, 2014 12:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
As usual there is no sense of drama in any of the fights, because the outcome is never, ever in doubt. It's like watching a couple of guys with flamethrowers attacking an ant colony.

The only thing worth watching is seeing Omni-sama (whoever came up with that one gets two thumbs up from me) getting more ridiculously over the top each episode. He still needs to turn water into wine. Oh And just get it over with and give your sister a long hot kiss. She's dying for it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 20, 2014 12:42 PM

Oct 2013
Grimlokk said:
millie10468 said:

Jokes aside yeah I didn't get the impression that they gave other characters a chance to shine it was more like they got a chance to just flash and that was it.
The only person in this episode who got a chance to shine was Suzaku (AKA: Masaki, Crimson Prince, Poor Man's Tatsuya); everyone else was either very brief or static.

Lots of people shone in the novels. Suzune's magic even got her almost kidnapped. Sanada's Thousand Tatami was omitted, people have already talked about Erika being gimped. Tomitsuka also had a pretty great scene with Chiaki, Miyuki's Cocytus was much more devastating than was shown. Leo and Kirihara and Isori all went above and beyond. Honoka's magic was also omitted. There's a reason a lot of people are disappointed with this episode.
Sep 20, 2014 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
Masaki was so great using his gruesome Rupture to kill those terrorists by making them exploded like that.

Good to see Tatsuya had saved Kirihara and Kei.
Sep 20, 2014 12:47 PM

Mar 2014
Ophis said:
By far the worst episode yet, it was extremely rushed. Madhouse completely fucked up this episode! Character development gets butchered once again. They totally skipped the whole part where Suzune got taken hostage and we find out she's an Extra because of her magic that can affect the nervous system.
Takuan_Soho said:
Miyuki's scene was all wrong, we got absolutely no sense of how powerful and terrifying her spell and indeed she is. First when she jumped out of the helicopter her magical interference was so powerful that no one could cast magic (including Mari), second it doesn't "freeze" their bodies, it freezes their minds. Third it is omnidirectional, the attackers were not in convenient mass. Fourth everyone felt it, so it should have been animated like a pulse. Fifth, everyone outside of Erika were terrified by the spell and her as well as they should be: she can look at people and they die. She doesn't need a CAD (they at least showed that properly), it kills who she wants and spares who she wants, its a magic so far outside of the normal realm that the reaction should have been animated.

Pretty much this. They also didn't show Tatsuya sweating because of the pain when he healed Isori and Kirihara.

True, i actualy waited for that moment to happen. Kinda said to not see him react to the spell.
Sep 20, 2014 12:51 PM

Jul 2014
I wanted more Onii-sama. guess i'll have to wait for next week to see him go full ham.
Sep 20, 2014 12:54 PM

Mar 2013
Masaki's Rupture sure is brutal...
Jesus descending and resurrecting Kei and Kirihara.
Subarashii Onii-sama
Scorched Halloween next episode. Can't wait..
Sep 20, 2014 12:55 PM

Nov 2013
Meh, I hate such one sided pwnage, they should"ve at least given the bad guys some kills; a bunch of schoolers owning evil terrorists? Even more lame than Robotics;Notes.
Sep 20, 2014 1:01 PM

Apr 2008
sadfacelv said:
Meh, I hate such one sided pwnage, they should"ve at least given the bad guys some kills; a bunch of schoolers owning evil terrorists? Even more lame than Robotics;Notes.

Well technically there were two kills at the end before Tatsuya erased those kills
Sep 20, 2014 1:03 PM

Aug 2014
millie10468 said:
Grimlokk said:

Lots of people shone in the novels. Suzune's magic even got her almost kidnapped. Sanada's Thousand Tatami was omitted, people have already talked about Erika being gimped. Tomitsuka also had a pretty great scene with Chiaki, Miyuki's Cocytus was much more devastating than was shown. Leo and Kirihara and Isori all went above and beyond. Honoka's magic was also omitted. There's a reason a lot of people are disappointed with this episode.

I've read the novels and believe me (even if the novels have a few issues itself) I don't believe that the fans find this episode to be the only thing that has been disappointing. A good majority of this anime has been underwhelming and yes I do know that the other characters get their chance to shine in the novels, but here they downplayed everybody including Tatsuya himself.... Blasphemy!!!!
Sep 20, 2014 1:03 PM
Jul 2010
sadfacelv said:

Agreed, everyone was just too OP to enjoy it.
Sep 20, 2014 1:14 PM

Jul 2009
i think suzaku vs oniisama was the best scene in this show because suzaku was able to put up a fight (sort of)..
Sep 20, 2014 1:20 PM

Nov 2013
You know that feel when your onii-sama descends from the heavens to revive your fallen nakama?
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 20, 2014 1:20 PM

Oct 2013
Kurogashi said:
i think suzaku vs oniisama was the best scene in this show because suzaku was able to put up a fight (sort of)..

There are a couple more characters who put up a fight later on. Unfortunately, I doubt you'd ever get to see those battles.
Sep 20, 2014 1:27 PM
Apr 2014
Onii-sama is your new Jesus. He literally descended down from the skies and "revived" people
Sep 20, 2014 1:29 PM

Dec 2013
Onii-sama is too fabulous.
Sep 20, 2014 1:30 PM

Feb 2014
Since apparently removing the limiters gives Miyuki full power I was expecting to see how much more powerful she is compared to the others around her, and apparently that's how it is in the source material but it didn't really happen here.
Sep 20, 2014 1:32 PM

Nov 2013
Kurogashi said:

unknown sniper was the boss -_-
Sep 20, 2014 1:33 PM

Jun 2013
No infodump. Just 100% action but it looks like a one sided fight since all we have been seeing is the bad guys blowing up and dying left and right (those metal gear tank thingys are practically useless too) I thought one of the "good guys" would actually die but thats not the case since Tatsuya is freaking Christ.

TL;DR the good guys always win with the least (or no) casualties.
All hail plot armor and Tatsuya your new savior.
Sep 20, 2014 1:33 PM
Jul 2010
So this was probably the most badly adapted episode so far, much worse than last week's, I am very disappointed as a light novel reader. So I'll just mention a few things as examples from what I remember in the light novel.

- First of all the entire episode felt as if I was clicking the fast forward button, the episode jumped from one scene to the next without giving each one enough time, most rushed episode ever, especially by the end of the episode the speed increased even more.
- Juumonji wearing that armor, didn't fit him at ALL, especially the head protector.
- Compare Tatsuya's mobile suit with the design from the LN, I love how some things in mahouka are really easy to adapt, you're even given a picture of what the suit looks like, but no we need to change it just for lol.
- George and Masaki's scene, no comment.
- Masaki was actually having a hard time fighting the guy who controlled the weird summoned beasts because he couldn't find him, in the episode he effortlessly found and eliminated him.
- I was really hoping that this studio's bad joke about how Juumonji's phalanx was a single layered shield was going to stop, but no we see the stupid shield again in this episode, looks totally like a multi-layered shield that advances FORWARD and crushes things and that is also capable of protecting a person from all directions, remember if you're ever in trouble IRL and are being shot at from all directions, just put a shield under your feet and you'll be totally fine!
- When Tatsuya met up with Sanada, two of their soldiers were badly injured and he healed them, the episode couldn't even spend 5 seconds on that, need more time to show Miyuki blushing and George/Masaki scene!
- How to suck all the tension from Kirihara and the other guy being shot ? By not even taking 10 seconds to show their girlfriend afraid for their lives and them about to die, immediately summon Jesus Oni sama.
- Miyuki coming down from the helicopter was supposed to look more majestic and she was angry in the LN that her peers were hurt, in here she just looked like an emotionless robot, don't even get me started on how Cocytus looked like just another freezing magic instead of what it actually is, which is a mental interference magic that freezes the soul.
- When Tatsuya was flying around in the air trying to find the drones to destroy them, from the start he was flying HIGHER than them so they can't seem him, in here he started flying on the same level as the drone and only flew to a higher height afterwards, also he was using his unique ability "elemental sight" to look for the drones because it was EXPLICITLY stated that at the speed he was flying he couldn't rely on his eyes, but no let's show him looking around in the air with his eyes trying to find the drones!

There are probably more screw ups that I'm missing but yeah, worse adaptation ever.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

456 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 16, 10:37 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.