Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 27, 2014 5:14 AM

Jan 2014
KatsuraRen said:
Glad that guy didn't die though
Yup. Too many deaths until now... But being immortal is also boring xD
Jul 15, 2014 2:55 PM

Oct 2013
a happy ending :D
[/quote]
Oct 9, 2014 8:12 PM

Feb 2013
Not a tragic ending...

Something about this episode had me near the edge of my seat... I just didn't know how this whole seed thing was going to turn out.
Oct 19, 2014 9:10 PM

Oct 2013
Finally an episode without a bittersweet ending. Well, I suppose being cursed to immortality is tragic in its own right...

This was great development for Ginko's character as well.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 8, 2014 6:42 AM

Jan 2014
Whatta harvest.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 7, 2014 7:47 AM

Dec 2010
tvlookplay said:
i wouldnt take the white pill

life will be boring living forever :/
If your life doesn't have such a gole as his' that is.

I straightforwardly loved this episode, it was about time for humans to gain something from Mushi, things were getting pretty tragic for their side.
Dec 24, 2014 9:33 AM

Jun 2014
one of the few longer episodes, I was worried it might be a two part

Feb 10, 2015 5:31 AM

Jan 2014
5layer said:
Doesn't the seed leave a hole in the roof of the mouth when it comes out? Pretty disgusting when you think about it.
i love how thats the only thing you take away from it xD

saish-sama basically gave up everything for this village :( he kept using the seed even after it killed his wife, and he was willing to be the sacrifice before ginko gave him the alternative. and about that alternative.... if i were him i definitely wouldn't have done that. immortality is long and painful... im sure, once he's the only one left, there will come a time when he regrets what he did, even if it did benefit his village :( poor saishu-sama... at least we see him happy
Feb 20, 2015 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
pretty good episode, the episode number 7 is still my favourite.
Mar 17, 2015 3:05 PM

Aug 2014
Another nice story for this episode
Mar 21, 2015 5:24 PM

Jan 2014
Another excellent episode.
Apr 3, 2015 8:16 PM
Nov 2014
Great episode, so he ate the seed at the end huh.

I guess he will become the village's guardian angel, by helping the villagers with the harvesting stuff. Sounds good for me.
Apr 5, 2015 8:08 AM

Apr 2014
Finally episode with good ending
May 20, 2015 4:07 PM

Jul 2014
Good episode. 4/5
Jul 18, 2015 5:34 PM

Nov 2012
It wasn't a tragic ending to say, but it didn't seem like a happy ending for the chief mourner. I don't know, immortality never is a good ending.
Aug 4, 2015 1:18 AM

Dec 2011
"Such a seed is too much for one man to handle. Just like an overabundant rice stalk hangs its head, that seed will certainly fall from that man's hands, onto the soil below... Unaware of the suffering it will cause the people in its aftermath."

All of the mushi-shi episodes so far could be interpreted in a philosophical way... But this episode most certainly is a philosophical discussion about sacrificing one to save many, or on a broader level, committing a lesser evil for the greater good. It is the same "push one person in front of the train to save all those inside" dilemma. And no matter what you decide to do, the fact that you think about it at all means you have a conscience.

It really is too big of a burden for one man... Having to live with the consequences of your actions. If you do, one person dies and the death hangs over the heads of those who eat. If you don't, everyone suffers.

In my opinion, what the Saishu decided to do by sacrificing himself... honestly seemed a little selfish. It seemed he took the easy way out, unable to bear the burden of another death, another family's suffering, on his shoulders. The seed itself is an easy resolution to a poor harvest.

By becoming immortal... he will now have to burden himself with the deaths of those who pass away naturally... He truly cannot live for anything but the land and the village... Becoming too attached to the people will surely wear down on him over time. (But he's not truly immortal, is he? Burying the seed in the kouki river would destroy it. If he goes into the kouki river, would he destroy himself?)

Once again, Ginko's role in this episode is interesting. He directly challenges Saishu's philosophy, his morals, and questions whether the villagers have the right to know.

(In fact, he intends to let the villagers know. And then what? If they decide to use it, they will keep using it, and eventually disregard their research for a quick fix in hard times. If they don't, the people will suffer for a few generations, or the village might die altogether, and then wouldn't they regret not using it?)

Ginko also breaks a huge taboo by making Saishu immortal. He always seems to act on a circumstantial basis. He seems to have the best intentions... but it's not as if Ginko is always compassionate. He has his own morals as a mushi-shi, but they're not steadfast (as seen in this episode).

That being said, Ginko is a strange one. His entire character seemingly revolves around his altruism. But that couldn't be all to his character, could it? He can be selfish, such as when confirming the seed's existence. He can be nosy, intruding into others lives... He is not truly selfless (no one is), and he doesn't always achieve the best results. What Ginko did this episode was a good solution, but was it the best? What is it that Ginko is trying to achieve when helping people with no relation to him? Does he simply dislike humans abusing mushi, or people suffering because of mushi?

TL;DR Philosophical episode. Saishu will suffer as an immortal. Ginko is altruistic?
DalPuriAug 4, 2015 1:22 AM
Sep 24, 2015 6:45 AM

Aug 2008
I think I need to rewatch this episode.
Sep 30, 2015 8:09 PM
Oct 2013
koreye said:
The philosophical question put forth: What would you do if you had the choice of taking one life to save the lives of many?. I'm not sure what I'd do, but if I was among the many who were saved, I wouldn't be able to sleep without a guilty conscious.

Psalidokrator said:
Can somone explain to me how did he manage to get the tooth into him and be the final sacrifice? How did he knew he would be the one and not someone else, i don't get it. And what was that poison he was drinking.

Towards the beginning when Ginko arrives at the village, the villagers say that the sacrifice is always the 'weakest one', meaning the one who is most ill. Thats why the village mushishi's wife got the tooth and died, because she was already very sick.
The poison that he was drinking was so that he would become seriously ill and be chosen as a sacrifice instead of someone else from the village.

I re-watched this episode just to answer your question, but I'm glad I did because I was reminded why I love this series so much.

TitanioVerde said:
Inmortality!!

But then will they use that seed again, or it will not appear again?

Ginko clearly stated at the end that the seed would remain in his body 'forever', unlike how it works for the soil and the plants.

Thanks for the explanation. now i can understand the whole story in this episode.

Oct 25, 2015 7:39 PM
Aug 2015
Good episode, just like the others :P
Great to see bits of Ginko's personality, the way he sees and faces situations <3

And despite loving the melancholic episodes, it is good to have a lighter one once in a while. A happy ending would i say? (:
Aug 19, 2016 2:14 AM

Mar 2012
Cool, he became immortal :o Immortality would be pretty awesome for people who'd like to observe with their own eyes how the world changes as time passes by. Not to mention all dat knowledge they'd acquire over the centuries.
Oct 26, 2016 9:02 AM

May 2010
Ginko being ero there with that finger-licking and sharp gaze I mean. this was again a very nice and serious story.

So it was the head priest's wife who died. Starvation and her wanting to eat the 'rice' which sprouted 'cause of her. And he finally eats it when she says she doesn't feel scared of dying if if he eats her life. What a beautiful husband/wife bond...

The head priest was a nice guy... Headstrong and stubborn. Sacrificing himself for the sake of everyone. At the same time, you can call him selfish. I love how this anime shows two sides of a coin, and perhaps even more.

Ginko... he fulfilled the head priest's wish of seeing a fertile land. I wanna cry. This guy... everytime he helps someone, the responsibility on his shoulders should have gotten heavier and heavier. but he doesn't feel it at all. Everything happens for a reason. No one is sinful. I like that way of thinking tho it's arguable if it's true or not.
I'm not sure if immortality is a very nice thing. It sounds fine at first. But once it continues for a certain amount of time, it becomes more and more horrible. You can't die. You will be the last one standing on earth. The earth will destroy but you won't. How sad is that..

Another great episode in a row.
TragicRomanceOct 26, 2016 9:08 AM
Jan 8, 2017 9:13 AM

Mar 2016
It must be sad to be immortal. I wonder if Ginko is too.
Jun 1, 2017 1:20 AM

May 2013
I didn't mind the man becoming immortal. I'm just worried about Ginko's punishment for helping him obtain that immortality :( he said he didn't mind "soiling his hands" ;A; I hope his divine punishment isn't too harsh
Jun 25, 2017 11:48 AM

Jul 2015
Excellent episode, this story about the fruit that brings good harvest in exchange of a life was really interesting.

This episode was also great in showing more of Ginko's personality; he was fine commiting a taboo as long as that person accepted the immortality... and well, that he said nothing about it. After a good number of tragic/bittersweet endings, this one, without really being a full happy end (he's now immortal and he will have to deal with that) bringed a satisfying conclusion since that person wanted to see how the village was going to be in the future (and thankfully it's going nice), and he visits them from time to time to give advices, so great.
Sep 20, 2017 10:39 AM

Apr 2013
And one day biotechnology & genetic engineering was implemented and the man stopped visiting the village.
Always-HungrySep 20, 2017 10:42 AM
Dec 17, 2017 9:05 AM

May 2016
Lovely and calming episode this anime never cease to amaze you.
Apr 23, 2018 9:20 AM

Nov 2011
Strangely, this episode felt less dramatic than usual and much more interesting because of the facts told. The happy ending to the end, however, I liked it, satisfied with the whole episode.
Mar 2, 2019 10:10 PM

May 2016
Sacrificing one life for the lives of many is an easy question practically speaking but when that person turns out to be someone you know and love, simply answering with just a yes or no becomes out of the question. He was so stricken with grief and guilt over the minority he'd left for dead that he slowly poisoned himself so he'll be the one who'll end up getting the Divine Fang instead.

Even if reviving the dead and turning them immortal's forbidden among Ginko's line of work, he still went with it because he can sympathize with how much the guy actually cares about the village he lived in. Naughty boy~

Mar 15, 2019 10:59 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Another great episode
I like the deep feelings they put inside

Jul 5, 2019 2:10 PM
Apr 2016
Immortality, huh? Rather psychological episode in my opinion. It was great.
Sep 24, 2019 9:49 AM

Sep 2018
The episode brings with it not the drama and even the comedy that sometimes contradict the narration of this anime series, as much as the fascination linked to the concept of immortality, which has always stimulated the minds of men. From this point of view I liked it, it made me think.
Mar 25, 2020 2:28 PM

Feb 2017
Lol, how many of these episodes start with Ginko bothering a stranger. Usually for food or money.

Apr 5, 2020 12:26 PM

Aug 2018
Another deep and interesting episode, the whole seed eating thing was executed very well
Apr 7, 2020 8:23 PM
Oct 2018
I enjoyed the moral ambiguity in this one. Especially with Ginko committing his first taboo which we have not seen before in order to do what he felt was right. He genuinely cares about helping people even if it means getting his hands dirty. I'm liking him, and the anime more with every episode.
May 26, 2020 9:58 PM

Aug 2019
hoooo what a tale this time around. I'm still super uncertain if making a man immortal was really worth it, i understand in the end he had good intentions and he would use the seed as a last resort but honestly immortality has more downs then ups in my opinion.
Some of which like boredom (boredom can kill ironically) i could guess that people fear death but i'm sure theres a point in your immortality were you just go "huh now what?" after watching the every marching pace of time consume everything around you. Or living for so long you just get fed up or just loose it.
In all honestly my response for immortality is "what, you wanna live forever? Or die with a name"
Dec 7, 2020 12:23 PM

Sep 2020
this episode was really good, We saw more of Ginko's personality, and I'm glad that guy didn't die, he seemed to be the rock of that village......

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Feb 22, 2021 2:03 PM

Jul 2020
Damn Ginko could've taken the seed for himself, that'd be a tough situation to be in if you didn't know what would happen if you ate the seed.
Apr 9, 2021 4:11 PM

Jan 2020
I think the immortality is only for aging, he can still die from an injury/illness. Nevertheless, it is still quite a nifty hack to live. If only he spread the method.

I think it's about time the story move to Ginko.
Feb 10, 2022 9:34 AM
Nov 2020
I can’t believe this. Someone actually became immortal in this show this early on at least. I first thought something like this would happen for the finally, but it seems like I was wrong. I can’t imagine what can come after this. This show really has been an experience
Feb 21, 2022 1:46 PM

Jan 2010
If you had the chance to save an entire population of people by sacrificing one person, would you do it? This is an argument I've seen brought up a number of times from different stories. However, Mushi-shi changed this dilemma up a bit. With the same example, could you make that choice if that sacrifice was completely random, which includes yourself and people close to you?

I'm reminded of a particular experiment where people were hypothetically asked to hit a button that would give them a large amount of money, but one random person from across the world would be killed as a result. I'm also reminded of smaller scale examples, such as flipping a track switch for an oncoming train to run over one person, or five people. What would be considered murder in that case? It it truly possible to argue the weight of one life over others? Is it even possible to assign value to lives? Does the act of taking action mean the intent to do harm to others, or is taking no action apathy, and is just as bad as a result?
Jan 10, 2023 10:06 PM

Jun 2020
does anyone know what the box the priest was seen sitting over was?

bleh, quick google search for japanese firepit was enough to answer my question. its called an irori. love the traditional style of the landscapes and villages that ginko passes through.
Mar 9, 2023 4:57 PM

Jul 2016
his whole life is now marked by sacrifice and will continue to be. but he chose this for himself. he had the luxury to choose something other than death or to accept death. after using the seed which has collected the lives of its own people for generations knowingly, that the chief priest can still live out his objectives at the possible boon and bane of immortality... thus this is not a 'bad' ending compared to what we've seen in past tragic episodes.
Apr 19, 2023 9:31 AM

Jul 2016
It's awesome that he got his wish to see the land prosper, but never would've guessed it'd be through immortality. It's strangely uplifting.
Jul 20, 2023 6:40 PM

Sep 2008
Rewatched this ep after 11 years. This was strangely calming and uplifting. 

I would take the seed of immortality, and risk the future boredom and possible loneliness just to satisfy my own curiosity. Although, it seems the world is headed in a direction that's not gonna be fun to watch over the next few hundred years...

The village priest just wanted to go out with a bang. It seems he had already made plans for this to be the last time the seed would ever be used, so no one else has to be sacrificed. I'm not sure how that falls in with his desire for the village to prosper and grow, because he would be depriving the village of an easy way out of future disasters. But, I respect his decision. And apparently, Ginko respected him too. 

I think Ginko went with his gut to save this one guy who would go to such lengths to be the "final sacrifice", so to speak. Perhaps, Ginko felt the head priest would do good work as an immortal, and likely make great contributions to farming. I speculate, but I think I get it. If I had the immortality pill, I already have at least 2 people in mind who I would offer it to, only because I believe they are people who can do a lot of good in this world. 

I get the head priest. I get why Ginko did what he did. Personally, if I was the head priest, I would never use the seed. And if I was Ginko...I think I would have used the seed on myself eventually. Maybe. 

I like how this episode made me think. Looking back to my comment 11 years ago (first page)...I think I was a much better person back then. I miss the guy I used to be. 
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 15, 2023 4:50 AM

May 2019
Ginko's really starting to flesh out as a character, he's very morally neutral, like mushi.
Jan 4, 7:27 AM
Nov 2016
Mushishi has finally found its rhythm, it's been a few episodes now that the work's graph only increases with one episode better than the other, and with more and more in-depth and charismatic characters being presented. In the 7th episode it was the turn of Narazu, the priest of the village where the episode takes place. At first he seems like a person who doesn't care about others, and this even generates one of the best dialogues in the entire work (in bold, Ginko):

- "What would you do with the seed? A seed that has the power to save thousands of lives at the cost of just one."

- "I would probably use it. I think if this seed really exists, it would be a sin to let so many people suffer."

- "Yes, but if you plant the seed knowing full well that it will take a life, then it is the same as homicide. No matter how many lives are saved by using it, someone will be sacrificed whether they want it or not."

- "If that's the price of crime, then anyone would get their hands dirty. Even if they were exchanging two lives for one."

[...]

- "If you use it once, you will definitely use it again."

As the episode goes on we can see how much the priest cares about his village and everyone, thus using the seed but taking a poison so that he himself becomes the weakest, thus dying and planning for the seed to be destroyed so that no one but will die. He just wanted to see the Village prosper and fortunately we ended with Ginko saving him through the seed, thus making him immortal.

Mushishi manages to do a lot with "little", all its quality is in the narrative and how its story and dialogue deepen and humanize the characters, many of the things there are palpable. And once again Ginko stands out as being the best character in the anime and one of my favorites compared to other works. He is someone who helps people, wants to see good, is knowledgeable about the world of Mushi but still continues studying and in this episode I saw even more how human he is in the scene where he says he wouldn't use the seed for the harvest, if was in that situation, if it would kill someone. In fact, neither he nor the priest were wrong, they had different points of view but each had their reasons, and in the end they both made the best decision.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.