Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion

Jun 16, 2017 7:19 PM

Is that how they ended the anime. No closure at all. It's forcing me to watch the sequel now.

Kaneki just turned badass. Loving his white hair.

Jun 23, 2017 8:38 PM

Was somewhat interesting, but felt really boring

Jun 25, 2017 6:40 AM

I didn't read the manga, so based on that, I can't say I'm terribly disappointed, but it was obvious things were missing and that ending, while probably one of the best parts of the entire series (IMO), just ends with no closure or anything.

I checked out the first few chapters of the manga and already liked Kaneki better than I did in this adaptation. Hopefully the praise for the manga I'm seeing is valid. I don't read too many manga, but I think I will for this one.

Jul 5, 2017 12:31 AM
But seriously holy shit, the "Rize" and Kaneki moments dragged forever this episode. At least White Haired Kaneki is badass....still rushed as fuck.

Aug 7, 2017 3:12 AM

Some cool action scenes, nice animation, and nice soundtrack are good but the piss poor MC and characterization let it down. 6/10

Aug 13, 2017 4:19 PM
Rize san was so beautiful, so strong

Aug 14, 2017 5:34 PM
Worst One

I don't know man, the last 3 episodes seemed very rushed like loads of shit just starts happening with no build-up or even hints like Kaneki being kidnapped or the Aogiri war.

6/10 it was okay but I don't think I would watch another season as its just too erratic and became more about average fights than exploration into Kaneki's Ghoul dilemma which gets a rushed conclusion in this episode.

Aug 17, 2017 7:22 AM
That was FREAKING AWESOME.

Oct 1, 2017 2:39 PM

Learning more about Kaneki's mother and how she died and his friendship with Hide was nice.

A lot of Kaneki and Rize moments, all unraveling in his head, their interactions were quite interesting.

Rize was trying to comfort him sort of whilst and in between his being tortured by Jason. I thought she seemed like she was definitely trying to look out for him and herself really, since she still exists inside of him.

Jason made him choose between those two and thanks to his mothers words about it better to be hurt yourself than hurting others he didn't choose, meaning they both died, the girl first then the guy who looked very pissed he didn't choose him to die, not surprisingly and like he would have killed Kaneki himself had he lived.

I liked the use of empty space in the backgrounds and white, which is hair turned also ... maybe the white in the backgrounds signifying he was a pure soul or emptiness he was feeling, or both, then turning red and all the flowers turning red when Rize touched them and when he restrained her, maybe to show he was letting his animalistic instincts and cannibalistic tendancies take over. Also, the screen did go black when he was eating Jason, to show he'd gone to the dark side maybe. Sort of how they did similar things in Psycho, and also his body housing his personality and Rize's is quite Norman Bates like also with his mother. Schizophrenic in the same way sort of, only she is sort of really inside of him. But I did notice similarities. We studied Psycho in film (and I finished Bates Motel not long ago too) and all the symbolism in that and this is somewhat similar in ways lol. I started to anaylse it more when I thought he and Rize were like Norman Bates and his mother I think lol.

I wonder if the whole show is a metaphor, I know Kaneki and the others turn in to real monsters called Ghouls. But maybe it's a metaphor for how even the kindest and nicest people can turn in to monsters when pushed far enough, he didn't want to turn in to the monster his instincts were telling him to become before, he was resisting because he wanted to remain the human he used to be. He didn't want to turn in to a murderer and cannibal. But then after all the torture, he realised to survive he would have to turn in to the very thing he didn't want to become.

He said he would never let Rize take over but she did seem to at least for a moment when Jason came back to him to torture him more near the end, maybe he just meant he wouldn't let her completely take over, I presume. Or it was because he sort of did it to use her powers. After he'd broke free in his mind and pinned her down, maybe he completely absorbed her personality in the end or something. She did seem to enjoy being crazy and so now it seems does Kaneki maybe.

But when he broke free of the chains and attacked Jason, the fight that ensued was epic! When he pinned him down in the end and then said he'd eat him because he had it coming since he was going to do the same to him, he went very dark, it was quite an unexpected shift in his personality. Plus, he made Jason start counting backwards from 1000 by 7 to keep him sane, just like he had done to him.

Then again, funny he became the torturer because Jason tortured him, the very same thing that had happened to Jason prior. They both became the way they did because someone sort fit to torture them and test their Ghoul abilities and Jason was obsessed with cutting of Kaneki's fingers and toes to see them regenerate which isn't normal.

Kaneki's hair changing colour so rapidly to white is strange but could be symbolism for something.

It was interesting to see such a gentle soul snap in the end, he even had an evil grin and sounded different.

I can't wait to see the next season and see what happens <3

Modified by stephtastrophe, Oct 1, 2017 2:47 PM

Oct 21, 2017 8:04 AM
I feel like this and the first episode are the only episodes to actually feel like a horror show. The majority of this anime took the elements given to them and turned it into an action anime, which is not what it should be

Oct 23, 2017 8:02 AM
I like to think that the reason his air turned white is because he experience cold fear such things can happen there are reports about it

Oct 24, 2017 5:24 AM
White haired Kaneki is so COOL! As he said, he is not wrong. The wrong thing is that world! I really want to know what would happen to other people of Anteiku. May be I'm going watch the ss2 right now.

Feb 13, 2018 2:32 PM
gostei do anime para min nesse site foi o primeiro

Apr 12, 2018 7:42 AM
The ending was a pretty good cliffhanger.Kept me on the edge for a good 30-40 seconds before I started the second season.

May 6, 2018 3:13 PM

Okay series. 6/10. The fight at the end should have been how all the fights in the series should have been. Anyways, Kaneki graduated.

Rize was awesome. Can't understand why a fucking dimwit of Kaneki ended up with Rize. And I am not happy with the ending not showing what happened to Aogiri.

That's it. I have completed this mess. Kinda sad that the ghouls were not exterminated.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 10, 2018 2:14 AM
This did not go where I expected at all. Damn that was extreme torture.

May 11, 2018 11:09 PM

The torture was really hard to watch and extremely unexpected. We didn't even really get a reason for his torture did we?
It was so rushed, and was into it in the beginning and I liked the characters, but this ending fucking sucked. I've also heard the second season is even worse, and I'm more than definitely not watching that

Nov 1, 2018 3:39 PM

Def not as bad as some people are making it out to be...
I didn't read the manga, and I can see that it was rushed, but the beginning episodes and the ending episodes are really freaking good? That being said some of the middle episodes completely bored the crap out of me too.

I'm disappointed looking at sequel reviews, though. It looks like people didn't care for future takes on it either... I'll probably return to it one day.

If only because the first couple episodes were so good I was hoping for it to be much better, I have to give it a lower score. Slightly above average due to me feeling either really hyped or bored during episodes.

6/10

Nov 11, 2018 4:10 PM

The score I gave to this anime decreased after seeing the finale. I was almost completely disappointed. Sure, I expected something big, but this finale did not feel as a finale at all. Beautiful plot-wise moments (some people complained about them, but I enjoyed that Kaneki and Rize scenes), then awesome fight with Jason, and... the end.

Was that a cliffhanger or just a terribly paced story? Dunno, but it felt just bad. I guess the story in 2nd season will continue straight from the moment it ended in 1st season.

Jan 17, 2019 12:30 PM
Absolutely wonderful show. Very deep and thought-provoking allegory on racism.

10/10

Feb 13, 2019 9:55 PM
Getting really tired of seasons that end with no closure, but this is the worst one I have ever experienced. Apart from that it was not too bad and the second half of the show was actually pretty good.

I am just dissapointed that so many character arcs and lose threads were just left hanging.

Apr 10, 2019 11:47 PM

non manga reader

this was an awesome first season. lots of development between chars, epic fight scenes and so on. although that huge cliff hanger at the end was IMHO a bad call.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396

May 6, 2019 10:03 AM
I liked this anime. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I was 1st drawn to Tokyo Ghoul by hilariously bad reviews on this site and around the internet. I had to see if such a popular show was as bad as people were saying. And the answer is NO. Score 7/10.

On to season 2.

May 19, 2019 8:40 AM

imagine this being the final episode

Oct 25, 2019 11:54 AM

The flashbacks and Rize Kaneki part seriously dragggggeeeddddd on. I actually caught myself dozing off and having to rewind. The torture part seemed to drag on as well.

Bad ass fight at the end, but seemed rushed, however I enjoyed it. The hype in Ep 11 certainly did not reach full crescendo in the finale. A bit disappointed there, but I enjoyed this season nonetheless.

Finale gets like a 6/10, maybe 5 though lol.

Nov 10, 2019 12:39 PM

The final episode was a bit boring because it felt like a recap with all those flashbacks.

Nov 21, 2019 1:03 PM

What a crazy end for this anime, the last fight was really great

Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]