Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 17, 2014 7:34 PM
Sep 2014
I created an account purely for the purpose of getting some good recommendations for anime. as I've been google searching the topic above, I constantly find myself directed here, and couldn't help but notice how friendly people seemed and how willing they were to throw out ideas. The topic is a little broad as far as genres go, so I thought I'd use this message to narrow that down. as for a lot of people, Cowboy Bebop was the fist anime I saw, and boy did it set the standards high for me. Unfortunately, I found that I was far more likely to find a campy, cheesy anime, instead of the more mature style that Cowboy Bebop was. Admittedly I'm a bit picky. I really prefer older animation, hence the topic title. I just cannot get into the newer art style to save my life. A friend had a recommended Code Geass to me, and I just couldn't bring myself to watch more than a couple episodes because of the art style - ridiculous I know.

So here is what I'm looking for. I'm generally interested in something that is a series, that while preferably falls within the 80s or 90s, I am willing to try something from 2000 on. I'm into the more serious types. Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Vision of Escaflowne. I saw Berserk had been recommended on this website before so I decided to check it out. I was so impressed with it that I decided to start reading the manga, something I'm not really a fan of doing. I'm a fan of heavy action-oriented in particular, although again I'm open to try different things.

I have had a few exceptions where I really enjoyed something I normally wouldn't be interested in. Another has the style I'm not a fan of, but it was such a great story. One Piece is the biggest one that's outside of what I'm usually interested in, I just can't refuse it's amazingness.

I've added to my list things that I've completed to kind of help form a better idea of what I'm looking for, although anyone is welcome to put me outside of my comfort zone, as I'll check out anything that isn't a romance.
Sep 17, 2014 7:42 PM

Jul 2014
Yu Yu Hakusho finish it
Trigun
NGE is on your PTW so if you didn't watch it, then watch it along with EoE
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

There's also a company called Tatsunoko that did a lot of older Anime, check out what they made maybe you will find something. Tekkaman Blade is worth trying, but it's not amazing or anything.
Sep 17, 2014 7:44 PM

Jun 2014
Outlaw star, similar to bebop
Sep 17, 2014 7:47 PM

Oct 2010
I haven't seen this yet but I really plan too, but I heard Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is really amazing, Everyone who I know whose seen it begs me to watch.

Sep 17, 2014 7:51 PM
Apr 2014
Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars 1, 2 and 3 as well as Now and Then, Here and There, aside from the ones already mentioned, are definitely up there for me, old anime or not
Sep 17, 2014 8:05 PM
Sep 2014
I remember watching Trigun and Outlaw Star when I was younger on Adult Swim I believe, I'll definitely revisit them. I heard Legend of the Galatic Heroes was a must watch before, forgot to add that to my watch list. Thanks for the great suggestions so far.
Sep 17, 2014 8:11 PM

Jun 2010
dancerandydance said:
as I've been google searching the topic above, I constantly find myself directed here, and couldn't help but notice how friendly people seemed and how willing they were to throw out ideas

Goddammit, what is Google doing?
With the exception of some guys here, like Kenchiin, PencilSharpener, SeijiSensei (fuck I already memorized their nicknames) you won't find many people who watched 80/90's series...

First of all, in case google didn't show it to you: 20th anime chart
There you have a nice compilation of pretty much everything worthwhile from 80~00.
While I can't guarantee you'll enjoy all of them, since I haven't watch all myself, I can still assure you SOMETHING will be a masterpiece.

For the breakdown...
Sci-fi/Mecha/Space Opera:
Within the genres, some good action series would be Petlabor and Gunbuster.
The first because it isn't the conventional "giant robots shots giant things", and approaches the subject in a more realistic way. While the second go full sci-fi and brings some of the best battles I've ever seen in this medium. Note that it's a Anno Hideaki work -the guy who did EVA- so expect plot-twists.
For Space Opera you can't go wrong with Battleship Yamato, Outlaw Star or Galaxy Express 999 -look up the term if you're not familiarized with it- they are the true definition of an "epic" production: HUGE story, lots of characters, lots of conflicts, one moral behind the story and some deeper philosophical discussions. All in a kind of Slice-of-life pacing.

Comedy also produced some wonderful series. Namely: Golden Boy and Urusei Yatsura.
The first is top tier ecchi and sardonic humor that only years later would appear again while the second is basically... STUPID but downright hilarious.

If you prefer drama, take a look at Utena, Rose of Versailles and Ashita no Joe.
However, probably only the late will match your tastes, since the first two are basically shoujo stuff.
Ashita no Joe is close in terms to Hajime no Ippo, to give you a direction.

MD Geist, City Hunter, Initial D and Touch I'd also like to digress about but this is getting too long.

Now if you wanna try something more recent, start with Black Lagoon or Gunslinger Girl.
Both awesome action/drama series, with a great pacing, great background story and an awesome character development -which is really awful these days-
I don't think the artwork will bother you. They kept many of the oldschool styles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6nYIZ7z5Qk
Keep in mind that this is a really biased opinion of mine, though.
I have a soft spot for more melodramatic/psychological stuff. Not sure if you also enjoys it?
If yes, just say so!

Shame on you for not enjoying romances, tho!
There are some really good ones I'd like to list as well.

@Edit:
Oh, yea! I'd second Trigun as well. It's just fucking badass, and believe me or not, it actually has a pretty solid story.
xbobxSep 17, 2014 8:19 PM
Sep 17, 2014 8:27 PM
Sep 2014
Ahh, I wanted to edit and some how deleted the post! Thank you for the great response though, that chart is super helpful!
Sep 17, 2014 10:34 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion. Just a classic and a really well-developed (albeit somewhat confusing) story.
Also, Gundam, all of the early Universal Century ones (except ZZ, that one doesn't exist). But the original, Zeta and Char's Counterattack are great. And check out the spin off 08th MS team since that's also awesome.
Sep 17, 2014 11:41 PM

Aug 2011
Let see...

• If you don't mind going into the 70's (almost 80) of course you should watch Mobile Suit Gundam. This of course if you like Mechas. The REAL mecha thing. Let me clarify that Gundam has different spin-offs so one of them (such as Gundam Wing) might have more up-to-date graphics yet still a 90s feeling
  • Implying you do like mecha stuff, of course the next on the list is Patlabor. It's pretty much episodic, but a nice show overall.
  • Going into the fantasy world setting, what comes to my mind at first is Sorcerous Stabber Orphen. Medieval fantasy, great characters. Very 90's show.
  • A little bit older but the same applies for Slayers and all its subsequent sequels. Take into consideration that the art improves drastically after the first season, so don't let that turn you off.
  • Yes of couse, Evangelion. But I guess everyone posting here will remind you of that, so I'll just mention it.
  • The Vision of Escaflowne is a great series that knows how to balance action, romance and drama. The animation is also superb. It's heavily based in a previous work by Tomino (Mobile Suit Gundam creator), so you might also like Aura Battler Dunbine (going back to the 80s in this case).
  • Space Pirate Captain Harlock. Self Explanatory.
  • Mosf of the films made by Studio Ghibli are recommendable. The usual settings falls into the fantasy category, but it you can also find some Slice of Life anime focused more in character development rather than the plot.
  • Now and Then, Here and There is a GREAT show. Extra points for the story telling. I'd also like to add it doesn't have that "pretentious" feeling that some shows have when trying to be go into deep stuff.
  • For a long-running shounen: Rurouni Kenshin. At least the arcs that were adapted from the manga. The animation improves later in the series, as an FYI.
  • Last but not least, some romance-comedies. My favorite so far is Kimagure Orange Road. For a similar idea you can also watch Ranma 1/2

Aaaaaaaand. The list xbobx-senpai provided is a great chart as well. Print it and you can start to check what you're interested in, I guess.

Hope that helps.

» Escapism.

Sep 18, 2014 1:20 AM

Sep 2013
Hokuto no Ken, the series.
Dragon Ball, though mostly just to get to Dragon Ball Z.
Anything Hi no Tori related from the 80s.
Black Jack, the OVA series.
The Galaxy Express 999 movies.
Sep 18, 2014 1:23 AM
May 2011
Rurouni kenshin
Yu yu hakusho
Outlaw star
Trigun
Ronin warriors
Detective conan
Great teacher onizuka

I plan on watching slam dunk, flame of recca and fist of the north star some time
Sep 18, 2014 1:35 AM

Feb 2014
Trigun +1

and I also say finish Yu yu Hakusho
Sep 18, 2014 5:56 AM
Sep 2014
Thank you guys for the super helpful suggestions, I have a lot I'll be adding to my watch list!
Sep 18, 2014 6:23 AM

May 2010
Golden Boy
Yu Yu hakusho
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Hajime no Ippo
Black Lagoon - Came out in 2007, but art style is not childish at all.
Baccano- Though it came out in 2006 its art style is slightly closer to 90s anime.
Trigun
GTO
Ergo Proxy - 2006
Ghost In the Shell 1995 (movie)

Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain because life's greatest lessons are learned through pain.
- Pain

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
5 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
9 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.