Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2009 3:24 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Okay, for some reason the OP and ED switched back so I don't really know if a new season has started up. Anyway this episode, for once in the history of romance anime, actually took the future into consideration. Shun proposed to Kyoko and said he'd wait for 2 or 3 years, but I honestly don't think she'd ever marry him. I like the fact that, throughout all of this, the only really worried about what Kyoko herself thought was Godai and he instantly won points there.

This episode also highlights that Godai still likes a long time before he believes he deserves Kyoko. But, I don't necessarily think that it works out that way. I can't imagine a Godai who isn't jobless and broke all the time though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 20, 2010 2:09 PM

Jun 2007
Kyoko really is an insensitive bitch, as well as a hypocrite. You could argue that she was naive when she let Mitaka take her out on a date near the start; her just wanting friendship. But she knew full well how he felt about her the day after he proposed... yet she was still more than willing to go with him on a romantic trip to the beach. And, better yet, she rubbed Godai's face in it by having Mitaka pick her up at Maison Ikkoku, when she's fully aware how he feels about her.

She can't claim to not want a new love and then go on dates with different men, whenever she pleases. (Of course, she does, since she messes both around for six years, but she shouldn't...)

It has always rubbed me up the wrong way how Kyoko has (cute) jealous tantrums whenever Godai does ANYTHING with the opposite sex near her, and requires an apology, yet she fails to see it as wrong to see other men in front of him, and let them get touchy-feely because they look good/are smooth.

If not for her looking good and being cute when angry, she'd be the sort to leave WELL alone. Double standards are irritating.
AironicallyHumanSep 20, 2010 5:40 PM
Jun 21, 2011 11:56 AM

Jun 2009
AironicallyHuman said:
Kyoko really is an insensitive bitch, as well as a hypocrite. You could argue that she was naive when she let Mitaka take her out on a date near the start; her just wanting friendship. But she knew full well how he felt about her the day after he proposed... yet she was still more than willing to go with him on a romantic trip to the beach. And, better yet, she rubbed Godai's face in it by having Mitaka pick her up at Maison Ikkoku, when she's fully aware how he feels about her.

She can't claim to not want a new love and then go on dates with different men, whenever she pleases. (Of course, she does, since she messes both around for six years, but she shouldn't...)

It has always rubbed me up the wrong way how Kyoko has (cute) jealous tantrums whenever Godai does ANYTHING with the opposite sex near her, and requires an apology, yet she fails to see it as wrong to see other men in front of him, and let them get touchy-feely because they look good/are smooth.

If not for her looking good and being cute when angry, she'd be the sort to leave WELL alone. Double standards are irritating.

Guest what? Most women's minds work this way! Yeah they do! And as a man you are expected to believe it's all rational!!!
Jul 13, 2012 11:09 PM

Oct 2009
"I'll never be good enough to partner with you"
I love the timing of the crow! "A-HO" xD
meneope said:
AironicallyHuman said:

Guest what? Most women's minds work this way! Yeah they do! And as a man you are expected to believe it's all rational!!!

xD love that response!
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Dec 29, 2012 4:43 PM

Dec 2011
Better get used to Kyoko's mood swings now since there's a ton of them more to come.
Oct 2, 2015 9:23 PM
May 2015
That's the point. What godai will achieve doing graduation? I'm doing my master's degree now but what is my future? After master's I have to look for a job, no woman will marry me unless I become rich, there is no life for poor people. I can relate myself with godai. Undoubtedly maison ikkaku is the most realistic anime I ever watched.
Aug 8, 2016 1:46 AM

Jan 2013
Melancholic episode for the most part.
I hope it doesn't take 3 to 5 years for something to happen.
Apr 26, 2017 12:41 PM

May 2009
ekla said:
That's the point. What godai will achieve doing graduation? I'm doing my master's degree now but what is my future? After master's I have to look for a job, no woman will marry me unless I become rich, there is no life for poor people. I can relate myself with godai. Undoubtedly maison ikkaku is the most realistic anime I ever watched.

I agree with that, too. But it was kind of mean how those two made Godai self doubt about his future or if he'll ever graduate. He already has enough stress as it is with his life. Also, who knows if Kyoko will get over Souichirou in two to three years ( I'm kinda hoping less), but I rather she choose Godai over Mitaka for a life partner.
Sep 29, 2017 7:30 AM

May 2015
Kyoko just forget about this tennis coach.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 4, 2019 1:16 PM

Nov 2016
It's like 1,1 steps forwards and 1 step back.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 20, 2019 8:55 AM

Jul 2015
Looks like Godai has found some resolve to improve himself in 5 years time until he's worthy enough

Nov 15, 2019 9:03 PM
Feb 2016
AironicallyHuman said:

Well, that's a bit of bullshit. I mean she's a single woman. Why can't she hang with guys alone? She doesn't owe anybody anything. I do agree that she should be a bit sensitive to Godai since she gets jealous but honestly, it's not like their dating. Why can't she hang with his guy friend alone? I mean she has made it perfectly clear that she doesn't want to date anyone until she's over Soichiro.
EmperorKaidoNov 15, 2019 9:07 PM
Jan 18, 2020 11:22 PM

Jun 2016
Coach had 2 rough days lol, his face said it all like lady what the hell have you been doing here for 2 straight years,how the hell don't you know the rules ? I mean just ask at least but that's what you expect from people who only gossip.

"I would dump my husband for him" chill bitch.

Jun 24, 2021 6:42 AM
Sep 2019
love the swing scene at the end
Dec 8, 2022 8:42 PM

Apr 2016
This was quite funny from Hanae's love for gossip to Shun's attempts to get Kyouko and ending with Akemi and Yotsuya making fun of Yuusaku's aspirations but on the other hand, is getting worse for Kozue, poor girl got no clue on what is going on.
Aug 21, 2023 7:39 PM
Mar 2019
Damn Mitaka get in line there's like 7 characters that want to marry Kyoko.
Kyoko playing dumb to let Mitaka down gently

Love Kyoko's outfit that she wears in the beach.

Godai's daydreaming keeps on getting him in trouble. I wonder how he's gonna break it to Kozue that he's not in love with her.
I have my doubts that's Godai is gonna graduate collage but hey anything can happen.
Oct 30, 2023 10:35 AM

Jul 2022
He's the man of patience
Feb 21, 3:47 PM

May 2022
Slice-of-life moments like in this episode are so great in this series.

Trains
EPs 19/96
In total 37 (+2)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

38 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 5:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

31 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 21, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

24 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

30 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.