Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 17, 2014 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was a refreshing episode as we see Rin and Haruka connect. I found Rin's past somewhat interesting since he had a bit of trouble at school.

Australia seems like an interesting place. I want to go there someday :o

Ha, one bed only. It's sexy time
Stark700Sep 17, 2014 8:41 AM
Sep 17, 2014 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
The red hair guy talking English for the main guy. They are already in Australia. So he felt guilty for pushing his goal without being considerable.

He brought the main guy to experience the time in Australia. The pair who he homestay cared about him and noticed that he was depressed.

lol @ two guys sharing in one bed. More memory talk and feeling of swimming. The true goal is to get him to see the stage that wold competitors swim, and to find the goal.

One more ep.
tsubasaloverSep 17, 2014 8:33 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 17, 2014 8:33 AM

Sep 2008
worst episode ever, thanks kyoani for completely destroying haruka
Sep 17, 2014 9:15 AM
Jan 2014
Although this was a very sudden change to the mood, I quite enjoyed this episode. There were some awesome sceneries.

Haru definitely needed to spend some time alone with Rin, to the point they needed to share a bed together xD. The english was fine too, good thing they hired some proper VA's for those parts. Rin's engrish was not that bad either, it had that Miyano charm.

I was almost certain Haru wouldn't go on that trip with Rin, but his conflict with Makoto made up his mind rather fast.

Glad they covered some of Rin's previous visit in Australia as well. It seems that he was surrounded by good people while he was there.

Haru received the same inspiration that Rin experienced when he saw that view.

I'm very excited about the last episode now.
Sep 17, 2014 9:21 AM

Jun 2013
Just one more episode to go now. I'm going to miss this series when it ends.
Sep 17, 2014 9:21 AM
Jul 2008
LOL @ the creepy guy telling Rin to get in the car.

As soon as Rin got the keys to the hotel room, I knew. For some reason, I just did.

Really nice to see Rin apologize but now I feel like it makes everybody else look bad?

I think in general the content of this whole season isn't effectively spread out, like it hasn't been really planned out. For the huge commotion Haru caused in the last episode (which I also thought was sudden since he was fine in the relay), it got resolved pretty quickly! I thought it would take more than that.

I don't know. I just feel like they could've made this season much better than it is.
I know it isn't over yet but hey, there's only one more episode. If anything, it could only make the show worse.
Sep 17, 2014 9:23 AM

Dec 2011
Very different from the previous episodes. Actually, I didn't like how Haru just suddenly had a change of heart. Um, at least show us a reason why he wants to swim again? I hope it will be shown in the next (and last ;___;) episode.
Well, and lots of English in this episode. I think it was quite funny how Rin's homestay parents talked a lot in English and when it was a time for Rin to respond, the scene would be cut of or interrupted. I guess producers didn't want to burden Miyano Mamoru with lots of English lines lol
But yeah I really hope that the last ep will be a bit better. It was a nice change of mood, but still, I want smth with lots of feels.
Sep 17, 2014 9:26 AM

May 2013
Good episode. I guess Haru figured what he wants to do and that's good. Rin deciding to join the swimming team in Australia was nice. Lots of English spoken too. Amazed that hey can even get that Australian accent.
Sep 17, 2014 9:30 AM

Jan 2008
Haru: Where are we going?
Rin: Alabasta.

I knew it, Rin is going to regain Haru's confidence by convincing him to become King of the Pirates.

I know, I know, he probably said something along "Ano bus da"
Sep 17, 2014 9:32 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah,that was way too easy.........i know it's Rin and all but still.

Well,it had cute moments at least.
Sep 17, 2014 9:46 AM
Dec 2012
Yeah this would have to be my least favorite episode of the season, not gonna lie.
Not sure if it was the huge amount of egrish, the weird description of Rins past, the lack of Makoto or the complete 180 of Harus feelings towards swimming but something just felt off about this episode.

...Jesus people its one episode left...and this is Kyo Aniny we are talking about here..we aren't getting a third season... I am scared...

..I don't want Makoto to leave...
Sep 17, 2014 9:46 AM

Sep 2013
Interesting take. It was fun comparing all the places they've been to in Sydney. Especially the Sydney Olympic Park. I like how Haru finally found his way.

Sep 17, 2014 9:52 AM

Aug 2012
Surprised Haru has a passport lying around. Maybe since his parents are travelers.
Sep 17, 2014 9:55 AM

Dec 2010
Good episode. Would've been a bit cheesy if it weren't for all the gradual buildup of Haru's character.

It's impressive how they've managed to make this show about so much more than just swimming with one's friends and having fun. This season is much more personable than season 1, I wonder if the writers changed?
Sep 17, 2014 9:56 AM

Feb 2011
Dat engrish from Rin though.
Sep 17, 2014 10:00 AM

Dec 2012
Rin's engrish was pretty good. Loved this episode, Haru finally found his dream.
Sep 17, 2014 10:13 AM

Jan 2013
That engrish. Not creppy at all.
I don't know if a episode about rin's past is good in this season. I get that by finished on the previous one. But ok.

I wanted to see the race on the pro-pool.
Next episode is the last one. So, how far has the adaptation of the LN gone?
I kind wish to have Free! season all the summers.
Sep 17, 2014 10:20 AM

Nov 2012
rin's engrish hahahahaha
the other english voices were pretty good though. i wonder if they hired native speakers.
and it seems haru does want to swim after all, i don't really want him to go pro but we'll see..
Sep 17, 2014 10:21 AM

Mar 2013
Well that was one hell of an adorable episode. I'm really glad we got to see Rin's life in Australia. Rin introducing himself in class, lmfao so cute!
The best point on this was the english. In anime we usually see that everytime the characters travel overseas, casually all the people in the other country knows Japanese. That's kinda weird, but that didn't happen here, they took the realistic way.
I suppose Haru finally found what he really wants to do... It's fine with me, whatever he chooses. I can't deny it makes me sad though, Makoto leaving, and Haru probably will do it as well.
Sep 17, 2014 10:27 AM

Jan 2008
I guess character designers had lot of devilish fun when they picked names Russell and Lori for the couple :D

Australia looked (and sounded!) awesome. I'm glad that after terrible couple of episodes we're back to things Free! handles far better than drama - interactions between characters and that relaxed, summery feeling. So, Haru, brace yourself and apologize to Makoto next week, okay?
Sep 17, 2014 10:29 AM
Apr 2012
silverwalls said:
the other english voices were pretty good though. i wonder if they hired native speakers..

Sep 17, 2014 10:30 AM

May 2010
Nice ep.

Lol @ Rin blaiming Haru's girly name for the room only having 1 bed. xD
let the fanart and fanfictions of that bed moment begin...

I'm glad Haru is feeling better.
I wanna go to Aussie one day. XP
I just watched Crocodile Dundee again as well. haha
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Sep 17, 2014 10:31 AM

Feb 2012
Lmao that dest girl in the hotel, wtf.

Finale next week doe.
Sep 17, 2014 10:38 AM

Jul 2013
OG-3 said:
Very different from the previous episodes. Actually, I didn't like how Haru just suddenly had a change of heart. Um, at least show us a reason why he wants to swim again?

haru didn't have a sudden change of heart. it's been hinted since season 1 that haru will want to swim competitively in the future. this episode showed more than it told and haru's final decision wasn't as dramatic as the last few episodes have been which is a good change imo.

i didn't need to look at the subs at all for this episode since the english wasn't that bad. did they use native english speakers from australia cuz their accents were spot on.

decent episode.

episode 13 preview was depressing to watch. i guess no more future summers with free
Sep 17, 2014 10:52 AM

Nov 2013
So much English this episode, felt weird nice touch on the accents though.
This one felt more heavy on the bromance.
Sep 17, 2014 11:00 AM

Feb 2012
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS EPISODE.
I loved how they finally decided to show us more rinharu rin's past and although Haru's decision was kinda rushed compared to what happened in the previous episode I can't help but be happy that Haru found his way (and we're only at one episode left before the ending, so they had to make him decide anyway)

because the weather was good enough
i loved every moment of it.
Sep 17, 2014 11:10 AM

Apr 2013
Is it me or Rin's engrish is better in S2 than in S1? o.o
Oh, and Haru finally found what he wanted to do thanks to Rin who kidnapped took him to Australia c: Plus Rin seems to talk quite a lot about Haru, but Makoto or Nagisa were never mentionned o.o
Loved that episode, but it was so weird to listen Australian people while reading the english subs xDD
Why does it have to end next episode? TTwTT
Sep 17, 2014 11:10 AM

Nov 2013
The guy picking Rin up from the airport was just plain creepy.
Rin's homestay parents know way too much about Haru. goood thing he doesn't speak english very well. The minute they went that hotel I knew there would be a single bed. Let the fanarts and fanfics begin!

Haru has found his dream. I hope he and Rin continue swimming together.
Sep 17, 2014 11:15 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Them Australian accent.. Though not perfect, that was pretty awesome!

Kid Rin's English was hilarious! I wish he'd speak the same way now. XD
> "Name sound like girl, but I am boy!" and "Uh, so, my school have big Sakura tree! You understand? Sakura.. Cherry blossom? Sakura.." LOLOL! XD

Good episode. So, Haru has finally found his dream? Probably wants to swim with Rin in Australia? O.o

Sep 17, 2014 11:25 AM
Dec 2012
Felt a bit strange without the other guys. Though it was nice to see Rin and Haru together being Free! and sightseeing in my country!

Lots of English this episode. Accents were OK. Lori's voice was quite good. She even cooked mackerel which made me laugh out loud.

Real nice of the Aussie swim team to let them swim with them. I wanted to see more of that. See what they thought of them. Especially Haru, since every one comments on his swimming. Its good that he finally found it too, so more people will be able to see him swim.

The final summer to swim with all these friends... Makes me sad! :( I'm gonna miss the whole scenery of the school, the club pool, haru's house etc etc.

The Eternal Summer of Beginnings - I wonder what that's gonna bring.
Sep 17, 2014 11:30 AM

Mar 2012
Haru, do me a favor and go fuck yourself.
So much drama over the "pressure" he was feeling to become a pro and now it seems he wants to become pro, wtf was that drama all about then? It makes no fucking sense, this pisses me off so much...
Sep 17, 2014 11:36 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well at least they got English speaking voice actors, too bad the Australian accents were okay :P Mamo's English pronunciation does seem good at times, at least better than most I've heard. Not that sightseeing is a difficult word, but he almost sounds native when he said it :D

Anyways, it was a nice relaxing episode. I like Rin a lot better this season, but I don't think it's that important to show his background. And the way Haru got his motivation back was easier than expected despite the drama in the previous episode. I guess he liked swimming in front of people after all...? At least that's what it seemed. Was still a nicely done scene though, really liked the atmosphere when Haru listened to the cheers and then imagined diving into the pool, with the shadow of wings of a bird.
Sep 17, 2014 11:44 AM

Jul 2013
maybe the first time in a while that future fish didn't make me wanted to hit something.
I liked this episode. it kinda needed a more lighthearted mood than both previous eps. glad they picked some good voice actors for the english parts. haha I had to laugh at Rin when he was at school. poor guy.
even though I'm not a Rinharu shipper, I didn't mind this episode at all. I thought it was cute and they really are good friends. they bring out the best in eachother. I had to roll my eyes though when I only saw one bed. nice pull Kyoani.
some people said they thought that Haru found his dream too easily, but I think he always wanted to swim anyway, he just couldn't handle the pressure of not being free. maybe that's what he realised this episode. hehe he smiled too. bonus points:)
I'm really curious about next episode. eternal summer of beginnings. well it says it all. whaaa so sad it will be the last episode. it better be amazing!!
Sep 17, 2014 11:44 AM

Nov 2012
Aru_ said:
silverwalls said:
the other english voices were pretty good though. i wonder if they hired native speakers..

oh wow they actually did. kyoani finds a way!
Sep 17, 2014 11:57 AM

Jun 2013

parvanubis said:

some people said they thought that Haru found his dream too easily, but I think he always wanted to swim anyway, he just couldn't handle the pressure of not being free. maybe that's what he realised this episode.

this

Really good episode in my opinion. So refreshing and all, complete opposite of the previous one.
Visiting Australia was a good idea, Haru finally found his dream.(hope he apologizes to everyone, especially Makoto, when he comes back )
Good change of pace seeing also Rin's past. ( what was that creepy driver?)
anyway I almost cried at the end, seeing Haru so happy, next one is the last, definitely gonna miss them!
eisanSep 17, 2014 12:00 PM
Sep 17, 2014 12:07 PM

Mar 2012
I was so tired of those emotional episodes, that one was really refreshing. Glad we won't see any more of emo Haru. The...well, bed scene was quite amusing.

And that Miyano Mamoru engrish.
Sep 17, 2014 12:30 PM
Mar 2012
This episode was getting unrealistic the moment Haru said he didn't bring his swimming trunks! LOL
Nah, I really didn't like the end too much. I mean, I'm ok with Haru deciding he wants to swim and it not being so dramatic and such, but I didn't really get his way there. Seeing a big swimmimg pool was enough? I don't know... I just didn't get the way he arrived at his conclusion. Other than Rin in the 1st season.

Speaking of Rin... he really grew a lot, didn't he? Personality wise.

I liked the rest of the episode though. Rins English was actually surprinsingly good.
Was I the only one who was super frustrated when they were going to tell a story about Rin being a late bloomer and they broke off? I wanted to hear that! Damn!
The hotel was a bit weird. Woah, what unfriendly staff! LOL @ the hotel bed. What made Rin think that anyone in Australia knows which Japanese names are typical for girls and which ones for boys, though...?
And well done for having native speakers and actually speaking English in Australia.

But: if Makoto leaves for Tokyo and Rin leaves for Australia - won't Haru be all alone?
Sep 17, 2014 12:42 PM

Jul 2013
Rin: Who is it that's usually so quick to start taking his clothes off?
Me: *chokes on self, pauses video, laughs, then plays it again*

Lori: Every time he talked about you he was full of admiration! *wink*
Me: ...Ma'am, you are not making my conflicting fangirl situation any better.

Rin and Haru: *discover they have to sleep in one bed*
Me: ...They really couldn't make it any more official than this, could they? XD

In the end, while I'm not shipping any of the guys with each other, this is just too hard to resist noticing. X3

I was honestly surprised how there were voice actors that spoke English fluently. Ofttimes actors that are voicing English people for anime speak Engrish, thus this was a treat. Even Rin's English wasn't awful, but his child version made me giggle. Cute~

I don't believe anybody noted this, so I would like to mention it, because it truly delighted me to see this small element in this episode. That scene in front of the fountain when Haru was alone proves to me that the abandonment issue he has is far more serious than we might think. He truly seemed in a state of panic. I haven't read the light novels, but I am made to think that Haru's parents have abandoned him more than once when he was a child or simply "forgotten him somewhere". This can easily lead to subconscious and conscious "misplacement issues", such as the one Haru had with not being able to find a place for himself in the future. Thankfully, that problem got settled with this episode. I'm thankful to the authors for showing us these small hints, but I wish we had a proper glimpse at Haru's family. Do the light novels reveal his family's situation?
ShadowwolfcatSep 17, 2014 12:46 PM
Sep 17, 2014 12:50 PM

Dec 2013
This episode was weird. Haru and no mizugi? WTF? I thought he doesn't have any regular underwear :P

Haru smiling? Shedding a tear? Whoa, what a surprise. And that fight with Makoto still bugs him. And good, because I think Makoto is bugged too, just puts on usual face so Rei and Nagisa wouldn't worry as much. And they didn't get enough screen time this episode, dammit, especially Makoto

As the door closed behind Rin and Haru, I just knew there would be a single bed. Woman's intuition, perhaps? :P And Haru seems to have some serious issues when being alone. Home alone is okay, because Makoto is just around the corner. Alone in Australia? Nope, just nope. Panic attack approaching.

So the schedule for the next episode is:
INTRO: Haru makes up with Makoto, apologises to everyone at Iwatobi, tells about the dream, group hugs, lots of bromance.
PART A & B: Dramatical Nationals. Probably Iwatobi wins.
OUTRO: Some future plans? Like Nagisa/Rei/Gou handling swim club, Makoto studying in Tokyo, Rin pro in Australia, Yamazaki...?, Haru pro? Nitori the new captain at Samezuka. Or something :D

But god, only one episode left this summer. I want season three, maybe four... but definitely three seasons would be good :3 especially when Rei and Nagisa are still in school and swimming! :)
Sep 17, 2014 1:04 PM

Jul 2008
This episode was so much more than I could have ever expected, I'm on cloud nine right now.

Anime Australia looked wonderful, there were a lot of gorgeous shots this episode.

And then the ending... Haru finding his dream at last... ;___;

BEGINNER
Sep 17, 2014 1:11 PM
Mar 2012
Shadowwolfcat said:
...They really couldn't make it any more official than this, could they? XD
I thought that, too. This episode was a total RinHaru fest. Especially when that Australian couple teased him about talking of Haru so much. Did the woman wink?
When Rin started to talk when they were in the bed, I thought for a moment he was about to confess.
(Although I love Makoto, I do ship RinHaru.)

Shadowwolfcat said:
That scene in front of the fountain when Haru was alone proves to me that the abandonment issue he has is far more serious than we might think.
I don't know... He was in a strange country, a city he doesn't know, not speaking the language and the only guy who could (and probably had the plane tickets back home) just disappeared. Without a word and taking his things with him.
I think you don't have to have ababndonment issues to slightly panic.

Shadowwolfcat said:
Do the light novels reveal his family's situation?
Not the first one.

I dread the next episode. the last one.... :(
Sep 17, 2014 1:18 PM

Jun 2008
Nooo i don't want it to end :(((

Freaking adored this episode <3
and Miyano Mamoru's engrish.
Sep 17, 2014 1:23 PM

Jul 2009
this is probably my favourite episode. a very nice change of pace. a good holiday trip/experience for haru and rin. seeing rin's past and the reunion for his homestay family was very moving. as for haru's change in opinion, im okay with it. not all major life decisions are influenced by a huge shock, a tragedy of some sort. sometimes the simplest of things can become very powerful. some people can be inspired solely by a painting, a scenery, a quote. haru in this case was through a scenery, but it wasnt just that, there were many things that happened before haru came to this conclusion. the pool just sealed the deal for him. i think his friends' support did most of the heavy lifting, and the pool at the grand stage just gave the spark for everything to come together.

that's my 2 cent anyway.
5/5 good episode. rin's english isnt that bad. you guys are being picky. maybe it's because i grew up with a lot of foreign exchange students.
Sep 17, 2014 1:39 PM

Nov 2012
Felt like filler.

Haru and Rin in bed together for the fujoshis.

Also dat engrish was cancerous.
Sep 17, 2014 1:48 PM
Mar 2013
Haha loved this episode. Haru looking all confused. :)

Cant wait to see the relay.
Sep 17, 2014 1:53 PM

Jul 2010
Learning about Rin when he was in Austrailia.
How Rin initially struggled with the language, never would had imagine that Rin would speak English! His homestay parents seem like really nice people!
Learning just how much Haru meant to Rin ^^
Liked their initial reaction to the one-bed room xD
Guess the talk in the night and seeing the aquatic center just showed Haru how much he wants to swim.
Sep 17, 2014 2:26 PM

Jun 2010
It was a disappointing episode for me. Don't get me wrong, it had some cute moments, but overall I felt bored.

Ugh Haru, so much drama. His resolution at the end of the episode felt like it was slapped together at the last minute.
Sep 17, 2014 2:32 PM

Jun 2014
Thought this was a really good episode!

I really hope this gets another season or two! I enjoyed this anime much more than I expected and now I don't want it to end!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 17, 2014 2:33 PM

Aug 2011
I BARELY READ ANY SUBTITLES! A+ FOR THAT! GREAT EPISODE!

Sep 17, 2014 2:36 PM
Apr 2013
I think makoto wont go to tokyo. He wants to swim too and he will get a offer during the relays

Maybe, I just hope...

And I think producers are just working for fans. Rin and haru are sleeping together !!! OMG *q* Australia was awesome and this must be one of the best episodes of this season.

I really loved rins family. They are soo cute.

And finally we could see haru with an sincere smile
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

147 by CCC47 »»
Jan 20, 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.