Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 19, 2015 3:01 AM

Aug 2013
Why do you personaly like One Piece?

I have never watched it (and I don't want to, the characters look hideous), but I would like to know why do people like it

so please, defend this anime and make me wanna watch it

Mod Note: First post in a separate thread created in general Anime Discussion. I have merged it with a previously existing thread.
rodacAug 19, 2015 8:44 PM
Aug 19, 2015 3:06 AM

May 2015
The world building is great.
There are a lot of things that connect together and the overall plot is interesting.
There are some really good arcs but most of the time it's this sense of adventure that makes the series fun.
I know that people trash about it for being shounen but it's pretty good.

Also you don't watch one piece you read one piece.
Aug 19, 2015 3:07 AM

Feb 2012
My man just google "Jewelry Bonney" and you'll know.
Aug 19, 2015 3:08 AM

Dec 2014
Why should anyone have to defend One Piece? If you want to watch it, then go ahead. If you don't feel like sitting through 700 episodes, then stay away from it and watch some other mainstream series.

obscureanimefan said:
I think little girls are sexy.
Aug 19, 2015 3:09 AM
Jul 2018
because it's better than Naruto
Aug 19, 2015 3:13 AM

Jan 2009
'cus it's easily the best from the Big 3

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 19, 2015 3:21 AM

Oct 2014
It's not that popular. It's only really popular in Japan.

Don't bother watching, it's garbage.

Read these reviews, in order of their rank:

http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=192511
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=176109
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=157749
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=183251
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=175947

http://myanimelist.net/anime/21/One_Piece/reviews

90% of top reviews are negative LOL
NxtslideAug 19, 2015 3:26 AM
Aug 19, 2015 3:25 AM

Oct 2010
Wrong forum.

What initially drives you into the series are the stylish character designs, the slapstick comedy and the pirate themes; later it's the progressive world-building, character bonds (just like any battle shonen I guess) and variety of designs, places and fighting abilities. In that sense it's basically unfiltered imagination and a nice mix of references that range from Hinduism to Waterworld.

The manga is more consistant than the anime, though, and becomes significantly better around the second half of the current run.
jal90Aug 19, 2015 3:31 AM
Aug 19, 2015 3:26 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Because long-running shounen have always been super popular with younger people who thus have grown up with the series throughout most of their lives. And out of the ones which started publishing back during that era, One Piece is the only one which a) didn't get completely ruined by fillers and shit, and b) doesn't go on hiatus 24/7

Though I personally think it sucks but if I had actually started following it when I was a kid I might have had a different opinion, what do I know
Aug 19, 2015 3:27 AM

Oct 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Because long-running shounen have always been super popular with younger people who thus have grown up with the series throughout most of their lives. And out of the ones which started publishing back during that era, One Piece is the only one which a) didn't get completely ruined by fillers and shit, and b) doesn't go on hiatus 24/7

main problem of the One Piece Anime lies in the pacing. Good god, One Piece has horrible pacing. And I am not even talking about the amount of episodes here. Just the simple structure of an episode is enough to get you really annoyed at this show. So, let's look at the reason for that. One Piece is based on a one chapter per week Manga, which wouldn't really be a problem, if One Piece wasn't a one episode per week Anime, almost never missing a week. Different shows try to deal with this problem in different manners, Naruto for example decided to torture us with filler for years to make up for that. While there is definitely some filler in One Piece (around 14% according to my sources), this Anime goes a different route, trying to stretch out the content of a Manga chapter as much as possible. The result of this is that One Piece is probably the slowest Anime you will ever watch, conquering even Dragonball Z in that regard. Your average episode consists of four minutes of opening, four minutes of recap, one minute of preview, three minutes of actual stuff happening, two minutes of reused footage and ten minutes of reaction and establishing shots. Yes, One Piece is pretty much "Reaction Shot The Animation". There is so little stuff happening in each episode, most of the time you can summ up what happened in the last ten episodes in two sentences. And while I am not a big fan of filler either, I consider this to be far worse, because you can skip filler, you can't however change the pacing of an episode and it pretty much takes away most of the enjoyment I could have had with this show.
Aug 19, 2015 3:28 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
^ you know the pacing issue is only for the anime, right?
Aug 19, 2015 3:29 AM

Oct 2010
HaXXspetten said:

To be honest, the manga lately has been quite mispaced as well, but it's only a matter of specific arcs so far.
Aug 19, 2015 3:30 AM

Oct 2014
HaXXspetten said:

You realize you were talking about the anime here:
''wasn't ruined by filler''

right?

you also realize this is anime board, right?

right?

D:

you also realize that long running series that have more filler are more popular than one piece, right?

making your whole remark about filler, retarded, right?
Aug 19, 2015 3:32 AM

Oct 2014
jal90 said:
HaXXspetten said:

To be honest, the manga lately has been quite mispaced as well, but it's only a matter of specific arcs so far.

B-But running and pointless wasted panels are cool :(

That bird cage was a legend.
Aug 19, 2015 3:34 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Nxtslide said:

right?
Nope, I was talking about the series as a whole, in other words primarily the manga

Nxtslide said:

right?
I do. Doesn't mean I can't still answer the real question though given that it's the manga that is so popular, not the anime

Nxtslide said:
you also realize that long running series that have more filler are more popular than one piece, right?
One Piece is the most popular manga of all time so evidentially no
Aug 19, 2015 3:34 AM

Oct 2010
Nxtslide said:
HaXXspetten said:

The pacing issues of the One Piece anime are not caused by filler though. In fact things were arguably better when it had filler arcs inserted in between long canon arcs.

Nxtslide said:

Maybe in the US, but certainly not in Japan and not in overall sales. One Piece is a big cash cow.
Aug 19, 2015 3:36 AM

Oct 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Nxtslide said:

right?
Nope, I was talking about the series as a whole, in other words primarily the manga

Nxtslide said:

right?
I do. Doesn't mean I can't still answer the real question though given that it's the manga that is so popular, not the anime

Nxtslide said:
One Piece is the most popular manga of all time so evidentially no

ahaha. You are being stupid on purpose right :D? everybody is clearly talking about anime here loli.
Aug 19, 2015 3:39 AM

Oct 2014
jal90 said:
Nxtslide said:

The pacing issues of the One Piece anime are not caused by filler though. In fact things were arguably better when it had filler arcs inserted in between long canon arcs.

You took this out of context. Better re-read.

Maybe in the US, but certainly not in Japan and not in overall sales. One Piece is a big cash cow.

I already said in my first post that it's popular in Japan. But not outside of it.

Dragonball (73 million) and Naruto (70 million) are more popular than it everywhere except Japan.

Worldwide sales - Japan's sales = Sales outside of Japan
230 - 160 = 73
205- 135 = 70
320 - 300 = 20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga
NxtslideAug 19, 2015 3:44 AM
Aug 19, 2015 3:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Popularity outside Japan doesn't really mean much in comparison. One Piece has sold almost 100 million volumes more than any other series ever in Japan. That's pretty much all that needs to be said here
Aug 19, 2015 3:45 AM

Oct 2014
offmodel said:
Also, One Piece has a character based on Slash from Guns N' Roses and another based on Mick Foley. That automatically puts it over the top, though I'd take Cactus Jack over Mankind, but that's just me.

Only means the author has no creativity in character desing. Making a good portion of character look like famous people.

HaXXspetten said:
Popularity outside Japan doesn't really mean much in comparison. One Piece has sold almost 100 million volumes more than any other series ever in Japan. That's pretty much all that needs to be said here

Context matters, pedo boy. As in if you are talking about the manga why bring up the fillers which are only relevant to the anime. Just please admit your first post in the thread was dumb and pointless.
Aug 19, 2015 3:45 AM

Nov 2013
I used to like OP until the time skip came. The whole main cast lacks so much development it isn't even funny.
Well, atleast Oda gives side characters some development.
rodacAug 19, 2015 8:46 PM
Aug 19, 2015 3:47 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
offmodel said:
HaXXspetten said:

It is necessary evil that the haters exist. The world has too many heroes already, it needs some monsters. Also, before the heart of truth (realization One Piece is awesome), there is no need for words (defending against said haters).
that was surprisingly deep
Aug 19, 2015 3:48 AM

Nov 2013
It has been on for nearly two decades and has built up a lot of followers. It can be a bit slow at times, but it's always worth it in the end. Out of all the long-running shounen I have watched, nothing compares to One Piece. Hunter x Hunter, maybe, but we all know how that's going right now.
Aug 19, 2015 3:53 AM

Oct 2010
Nxtslide said:
Only means the author has no creativity in character desing. Making a good portion of character look like famous people.

This only means that Oda likes to insert his cultural philias into the narration in the form of characters or references. Nothing to do with originality or lack of.

Seriously that line of thought makes no fucking sense. You have a point in the "popularity outside Japan" aspect, no need to spoil it with twisted reasoning.
Aug 19, 2015 3:57 AM

Oct 2014
jal90 said:
Nxtslide said:

This only means that Oda likes to insert his cultural philias into the narration in the form of characters or references. Nothing to do with originality or lack of.

Seriously that line of thought makes no fucking sense. You have a point in the "popularity outside Japan" aspect, no need to spoil it with twisted reasoning.

How is that relevant to the popularity outside of Japan? .-.

Does it though? answer this, what's easier
A/ Creating unique character design from scratch
B/ Creating a design 90% based on someone and making him cartoonish
http://img08.deviantart.net/3a7e/i/2013/099/4/d/one_piece_characters_are_real_life_people_by_satoart-d60zbru.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--lIj_F5vo--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1862ml2r6f3e4jpg.jpg
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--jss5Lsc---/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1862mlel7owo5jpg.jpg
etc

I don't see Akira ripping off disney n the likes.

inb4 option c
Aug 19, 2015 4:06 AM

Oct 2010
Nxtslide said:
jal90 said:

How is that relevant to the popularity outside of Japan? .-.

Nothing, just you making a good point and then making another one that makes no sense.

Nxtslide said:
Does it though? answer this, what's easier
A/ Creating unique character design from scratch
B/ Creating a design 90% based on someone and making him cartoonish

Indeed, it's option C/ Creating variety through accumulation of different and seemingly antagonistic references that create a distinct world overall.

It's not easy, considering how many people are prone to bash it because it's not unique, missing the holistic point of view that is necessary to understand and/or appreciate the actual range of creativity of the series :P. It's not about Brook looking like Slash as much as it is about Slash, Popeye, the Bigfoot, Hypatia and Steve Buscemi being blended together in the same storyline making it look distinct and consistent enough.
Aug 19, 2015 4:08 AM

Nov 2012
offmodel said:
jal90 said:

It also means he has great taste in music, Freddie Mercury and Stevie Ray Vaughan are some other examples.

Most famous one

Aug 19, 2015 4:47 AM
Dec 2014
Respect for the people who follow a episodic show through the years like that. 600 episodes, wow. Biggest I ever watched was LotGH, 110 episodes.
Aug 19, 2015 4:50 AM

Jan 2013
Every shounen is popular. One Piece just has its path clear now that Naruto ended and Bleach isn't even relevant.
Aug 19, 2015 4:50 AM
May 2009
Its about Adventure, following your lifelong dream.

Its really hard to explain. But one of the reasons is the feels.
literally the only show that can make you care about so many of the characters it has.
The Lore is interesting, backstory of the world the Pirate king, Pirate age.
The Straw hat Crew is pretty interesting each with their own interesting backstory.
The fight scenes are pretty imaginative due to the devil fruit and its application.
Than it just goes into so many different themes, Racism, Class wars, Revolution, Government, politics, religion, Oppression, Genocide, Massacres, etc etc.

The Character design you mention was a reason I never started it. I disliked a three sword user. and Also disliked luffy's stretchiness.

However after seeing the terrible dub and censorship of the english version. I had to cleanse my palate, and found One Piece to be amazing. (I was pretty into Naruto and bleach at this point.) But One Piece was the only one that could make me care about the cast at 40 episodes.
shintai88Aug 19, 2015 5:15 AM
Aug 19, 2015 4:51 AM

Dec 2013
Feniksrises said:
Respect for the people who follow a episodic show through the years like that. 600 episodes, wow. Biggest I ever watched was LotGH, 110 episodes.

I don't think you know what episodic is...

Mushishi is episodic. One Piece/LoGH is not!
G_Spark233Aug 19, 2015 4:57 AM
Aug 19, 2015 5:01 AM
Dec 2014
G_Spark233 said:
Feniksrises said:

Ah yes you are right, lost in translation ;)
Seppoku time.
Aug 19, 2015 5:03 AM
Feb 2014
Seems like every other day this thread comes up.

Wonder why
Aug 19, 2015 5:07 AM

Feb 2013
It's a seemingly never-ending adventure with loads of colorful characters, humor and some nice action here and there. The friendship of the crew is something special, and the emotion the series brings at times always makes me remember why I love it so much. As for the arcs, they've touched on subjects such as religion to even slavery and racism. And I for one appreciate and enjoy its different art style and character designs.

These are some thoughts from a fanboy enlightened to One Piece's greatness.
Aug 19, 2015 5:12 AM
May 2009
Klad said:
Every shounen is popular. One Piece just has its path clear now that Naruto ended and Bleach isn't even relevant.

Considering One Piece aired 3 years earlier than naruto and 5 years earlier than Bleach. I say its been popular since it first aired. Not to mention its been the best selling manga for a while. Its path was pretty clear in the first place.

Plus they all are featured in Shonen Jump. So theres no real competition.
Aug 19, 2015 5:14 AM
Aug 2015
I think its because it never got popular in us because of the horrific dub and now its cool to like it because bleach and naruto are too popular
Aug 19, 2015 5:16 AM

Aug 2008
It's the best shounen of all time. It's funny. It also has lots of good arcs.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 19, 2015 5:16 AM
Aug 2015
Zapredon said:

nope One Piece is not the best shonen
Aug 19, 2015 5:23 AM

Dec 2013
Feniksrises said:
G_Spark233 said:

Ah yes you are right, lost in translation ;)
Seppoku time.

You are forgiven [s]I hope I'm not too late
Aug 19, 2015 5:24 AM

Aug 2013
Nxtslide said:
Mallacy said:
Because it seems like Japanese people like the pirate theme. I used to like OP until the time skip came. The whole main cast lacks so much development it isn't even funny.
Well, atleast Oda gives side characters some development.

Japanese not ''Jap'', stop being a racist fuck.

since when is saying Jap racist Oo
Aug 19, 2015 5:27 AM

Feb 2013
Sherlupin said:
Nxtslide said:

You wouldn't get it, you Eng! >:(
Aug 19, 2015 5:32 AM

Mar 2014
potatotron said:
because it's better than Naruto
_Peksi said:
'cus it's easily the best from the Big 3
QFT
Aug 19, 2015 5:33 AM
May 2009
akisma said:
Zapredon said:

nope One Piece is not the best shonen

Best Selling Shonen manga to date though.
Aug 19, 2015 5:57 AM

Oct 2014
Sherlupin said:
Nxtslide said:

use google? from the world war to answer your question
Aug 19, 2015 6:00 AM

Mar 2015
because manga reader/anime viewer are not only anime/manga fans? maybe one piece not look good for you, but they can make appealing to huge mass. that's important
KumaAug 19, 2015 6:06 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 19, 2015 6:03 AM

Apr 2014
people like simple yet entertaining characters.
Aug 19, 2015 6:25 AM

May 2015
It's an epic shounen series with a more unique art style. It's more creative and wild rather than macho bullshit. I remember the characters being as wild and entertaining as their designs.

It also has the appeal of any longrunning shounen - there is excitement to delve in something so big and 'explore' it. It's like exploring a subject, only you have just one source for the canon.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 19, 2015 6:30 AM

Jun 2013
I'm just sitting here waiting to see if IntroverTurtle is going to show up.

That being said I love the world building in One Piece and many of the characters are phenomenal. Even if the first half is repetitive and the pacing of the anime is bad I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I've taken a long break from the manga after getting burned out from marathoning the show and then about 100 chapters and am about to start it up again.
Aug 19, 2015 6:33 AM
Aug 2015
Sherlupin said:
Why do you personaly like One Piece?

I have never watched it (and I don't want to, the characters look hideous), but I would like to know why do people like it

so please, defend this anime and make me wanna watch it
I can see where you're coming from, I thought the same at first, but it's actually a good show.
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain
Aug 19, 2015 6:37 AM

Aug 2012
One Piece has a few perks that make it popular. For once, it is the best anime ever. So it is obviously also the best fighting long-running shounen of all time. People with good taste usually like good things so they end up liking One Piece.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Luffy Has Some Body Counts ***May Contain Spoilers/Not Beyond Dressrosa Story Arc***

simonitro - Apr 14

19 by elderonn »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 328 Discussion

TheWestExit - Oct 29, 2007

39 by bakakisima »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

160 by Dani_1fssh »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 49 Discussion

Kaizokuou - Aug 9, 2009

49 by boterbloempje »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 123 Discussion

VARIAchan - Dec 19, 2009

45 by kejora »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.