Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2009 4:23 PM

Jun 2008
Okay I'm about to watch One piece because I feel like starting a new long running anime but I want to know. Out of all the long running animes like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, etc. why exactly does One Piece stand out as the best of all. (I'm basing this off the score at 8.46 One piece is easilly the best rated long running anime on the site).
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2009 4:31 PM

May 2008
Well if you include long running anime which already ended like DBZ or Yu Yu Hakusho, then actually the anime with the highest score isn't One Piece. it is Legend of the Galactic heroes.
Oct 28, 2009 4:31 PM

Jun 2008
It's not.
Oct 28, 2009 5:36 PM

Dec 2007
Maybe it's just the lesser evil.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 28, 2009 5:39 PM

Sep 2009
I find One Piece entertaining, but I wouldn't say it's the best.

Edit: I do find that One Piece has both good comedy, good action, good sad stories and sob stories, awesome moments, and stable storyline.
Moe_Oct 28, 2009 5:50 PM

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Oct 28, 2009 5:46 PM

Nov 2008
IMO best long-run never end = detective conan!
but to me One Piece is way better than bleach/naruto.
the story is simple enough, to find the greatest treasure ever by going on quests.
One Piece is like a video game where you travel from place to place, meet different people/ find new ally and level up. even though it's unorginal, it's alot of fun to watch. and Luffy just makes the show that much better.
hi
Oct 28, 2009 5:47 PM

Apr 2009
I remember watching it when I was 12 or 13 and it is VERY fun to watch..does it have arcs in it? I haven't seen it in years..but does it have really long arcs or spoilers?
Oct 28, 2009 7:13 PM

Mar 2009
No idea, you gotta watch for yourself to find out. I've heard that people say it gets better as it goes on and that the story is well planned out.
Oct 28, 2009 7:38 PM

Nov 2007
Moved to series discussion since it's focusing on One Piece as opposed to being broad discussion over long running shounen. Though that's been done before anyway.
Oct 28, 2009 8:17 PM

May 2008
Unlike the other long running anime, One Piece doesn't have the endless fillers. The arcs are epic, action packed, and frequent. I'll assume a little over 40 episodes of filler so far and all of which weren't that bad entertainment wise. It's simply a wonderful show that is enjoyable to watch and keeps you wanting more.
carnivorousOct 28, 2009 8:25 PM
In the End, was it worth it?
Oct 28, 2009 10:35 PM

Feb 2007
First of all, One Piece has a terrific storyline that becomes more and more absorbing/thrilling/intricate as it progresses. It's simply stunning how well planned and interconnected the entire series is, despite its length. The characters are diverse and, I personally believe, quite lifelike since they cover a broad range of personality types. Also, they have very moving personal histories that make them very relatable. Plus, the sheer fact that the series is 400 eps long means that eventually, the characters end up seeming so familiar to you, they seem like old friends.

Then there's the creativity of the series' plotline and setting. People make the mistake of assuming it's a generic anime in this respect but any fan could tell you that the show covers a marvelous range of different locations (islands built in the sky, prehistoric islands, desert islands, and more) and that it has several very unexpected plot twists and plot conventions the likes of which are hard to find in other shonen anime. The world of the story (including its unique geography and its zany, but thrillingly powerful inhabitants) is remarkably vast and a treat for the imagination. It's not hard at all for a fan to be utterly swept up in it! There are also several interweaving subplots behind the main goal of the show (which is to find the One Piece treasure) that keep the show alive and fresh (as opposed to, say, Naruto's perpetual quest to save Sasuke). Not to mention, at times, it can be quite mature and meaningful in a poignant, though non-melodramatic way. And the comedy can be just plain hilarious!

As for the show's artwork, this is more controversial since some people simply detest it since they usually find it to be too "childish". However for fans of the show the artwork is viewed as being unique and, personally, I feel it captures the adventuring, free-spirited air of the story brilliantly.

Now, to more concisely answer your question, I would have to say what ranks One Piece above other long-running series is its quality. It avoids becoming repetitive, constant attention is given to character development, progress in the plot's development (while slow) is continued constantly, the thematic content is varied and meaningful (it deals with all sorts of issues like greed, corruption, even slavery), its fillers are kept to a minimum and are in fact also rather enjoyable, and it maintains its own unique style.

Just as a warning though, some people find that the first arcs of the show are dull (meaning almost the first hundred eps) and, so, conclude that the entire series must be dull. But really it keeps getting better and better (unlike most long-running series that seem to just sort of tail off in their later episodes). Right now, after 400 episodes, we're reaching what almost all fans promise is going to be the most epic arc to date! So you see, it's really the sort of show that improves with age and can captivate any fan. It just might require some patience in the beginning (though I personally loved it right from the start).

Also, if you're interested, I thought this article made some very good points about One Piece: http://bignanime.wordpress.com/2007/09/07/why-one-piece-doesnt-suck/
Oct 29, 2009 1:24 AM

Apr 2009
Jb1528 said:
why exactly does One Piece stand out as the best of al

watching it will give you the answer o_O

its different than the other 2... its based on characters, emotions, pride and dreams.

Wikipedia said:

One Piece is the second highest selling manga in the history of Weekly Shōnen Jump,[1] (behind Dragon Ball) and is currently their most acclaimed and all-time second-best-selling title in Japan. The manga is the first to increase the sales of Weekly Shōnen Jump in eleven years
Oct 29, 2009 8:47 AM

Jan 2008
Soulstrider said:
Well if you include long running anime which already ended like DBZ or Yu Yu Hakusho, then actually the anime with the highest score isn't One Piece. it is Legend of the Galactic heroes.

Well, it does sound right now but let us see the rankings when OP finishes(which i highly doubt =)) Because I know that when the series end, the scores given by the people who didn't watch more than one fifth of the series will be invalid which are in fact still valid since it's written there "currently airing". Then, I guess, even with all the 1s and low scores OP has 8.46 and it's still rising everyday, but just think about the time that all the low scores are invalid, it'll be a huge jump in terms of the average score. Nobody who has watched more than Alabasta arc could give a low score imho, btw.

So, even if I don't think it should be at the top of the rankings(now, but OP gets better and better day by day, so I might chance my mind, who knows?), but most probably in ten years(if MAL is still healthy though) or more, after OP has ended, it will be well over 9.00 level easily.
Oct 29, 2009 11:36 AM

Jan 2008
mehameha said:
kikoushi said:
So, even if I don't think it should be at the top of the rankings(now, but OP gets better and better day by day, so I might chance my mind, who knows?), but most probably in ten years(if MAL is still healthy though) or more, after OP has ended, it will be well over 9.00 level easily.

I'm not so sure how the rating work because say if one user only watch like +50 episodes of One Piece and rates it 4 will it effect the overall rates? Or does it only count the rating from people that up to dates with all the episodes? Personally, I wouldn't rate One Piece anime that high because it is a long running anime and bound to have inconsistent animation but the manga is rated high enough. It ranked #6 in MAL, and if I'm not mistaken, it was the only long running and ongoing Shonen that make it in the top 10. The others are mostly Seinen and already completed series.

Now it counts even if he/she watches just 1 episode and rate only 1(as far as I know, this should be the case since it's currently airing anime, all the votes should be considered same till it's completed.) Nobody would rate it high because of the length, what matters is not the quantity but the quality as everybody I assume, will agree. I dont know about the issue with the manga but the manga in almost every aspect is epic and doesn't have some problems that people have with the anime, so I can see why it's already where it's now. Though this is only my point of view ;)
Oct 29, 2009 7:04 PM
Aug 2009
I watched more than 200 episodes of One Piece it's a fantastic anime. I thought it was old and boring because there was 400 and up. I know i was wrong. It's very interesting
Oct 29, 2009 8:44 PM

Aug 2007
Jb1528 said:
Okay I'm about to watch One piece because I feel like starting a new long running anime but I want to know. Out of all the long running animes like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, etc. why exactly does One Piece stand out as the best of all. (I'm basing this off the score at 8.46 One piece is easilly the best rated long running anime on the site).

because it is different. there's no emo lead, no endless fillers, not focused on powering up all the time, the abilities that are used aren't repetitive, and there's more focus on drama, storytelling, and character development than straight up action and fighting.
Oct 22, 2011 6:38 PM
Oct 2011
I think it's the greatest long running anime because of the character development and the characters. The characters steal the show cuz their sooo diverse!! this is my 2nd favorite anime of all time right behind Cowboy Bebop. I have only seen the dubbed funimation version though of season 1. I have yet to see season 2 and 3 even though I bought all the voyages cuz I'm waiting for season 4 to be announced dubbed by funimation...
Oct 23, 2011 3:34 AM

Sep 2011
Unlike Naruto or Bleach(that got worse over time)One Piece improved massively after a few arcs and since then it's been very consistent in providing that high-quality storytelling and fun we all know it for.Thus people still follow it, since it hasn't turned into shit like the other two.

Detective Conan and Hajime no Ippo might be good contenders for the title though they're not as well known.
Oct 23, 2011 5:13 AM
Sep 2011
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is great too. It's really a shame that it still hasn't been made into a series. With 105 volumes, there would be a lot of material to work with.

Oct 23, 2011 5:18 AM
Mar 2011
no just no ot just does not have the viewing numbers that to sappot it being named the best ongoing anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 23, 2011 7:25 AM

Aug 2010
Jb1528 said:

NO!!!! Gintama is the best in site! 201 (first temp, score at 9.1) + 28 (2ºnd temp score at 9.15)

"Gintama is easilly the best rated long running anime on the site"
One Piece is 3rd, because Legend of Galatic Heroes (+10 years runing) is 2nd
Oct 23, 2011 8:07 AM

Jul 2007
CrakenX said:
First of all, One Piece has a terrific storyline that becomes more and more absorbing/thrilling/intricate as it progresses. It's simply stunning how well planned and interconnected the entire series is, despite its length. The characters are diverse and, I personally believe, quite lifelike since they cover a broad range of personality types. Also, they have very moving personal histories that make them very relatable. Plus, the sheer fact that the series is 400 eps long means that eventually, the characters end up seeming so familiar to you, they seem like old friends.

Then there's the creativity of the series' plotline and setting. People make the mistake of assuming it's a generic anime in this respect but any fan could tell you that the show covers a marvelous range of different locations (islands built in the sky, prehistoric islands, desert islands, and more) and that it has several very unexpected plot twists and plot conventions the likes of which are hard to find in other shonen anime. The world of the story (including its unique geography and its zany, but thrillingly powerful inhabitants) is remarkably vast and a treat for the imagination. It's not hard at all for a fan to be utterly swept up in it! There are also several interweaving subplots behind the main goal of the show (which is to find the One Piece treasure) that keep the show alive and fresh (as opposed to, say, Naruto's perpetual quest to save Sasuke). Not to mention, at times, it can be quite mature and meaningful in a poignant, though non-melodramatic way. And the comedy can be just plain hilarious!

As for the show's artwork, this is more controversial since some people simply detest it since they usually find it to be too "childish". However for fans of the show the artwork is viewed as being unique and, personally, I feel it captures the adventuring, free-spirited air of the story brilliantly.

Now, to more concisely answer your question, I would have to say what ranks One Piece above other long-running series is its quality. It avoids becoming repetitive, constant attention is given to character development, progress in the plot's development (while slow) is continued constantly, the thematic content is varied and meaningful (it deals with all sorts of issues like greed, corruption, even slavery), its fillers are kept to a minimum and are in fact also rather enjoyable, and it maintains its own unique style.

Just as a warning though, some people find that the first arcs of the show are dull (meaning almost the first hundred eps) and, so, conclude that the entire series must be dull. But really it keeps getting better and better (unlike most long-running series that seem to just sort of tail off in their later episodes). Right now, after 400 episodes, we're reaching what almost all fans promise is going to be the most epic arc to date! So you see, it's really the sort of show that improves with age and can captivate any fan. It just might require some patience in the beginning (though I personally loved it right from the start).

Also, if you're interested, I thought this article made some very good points about One Piece: http://bignanime.wordpress.com/2007/09/07/why-one-piece-doesnt-suck/

I agree with everything this guy has said, accept the very last paragraph. I have seen the fanbase and there logical decisions to watch or drop this series over the past years. They usually drop it either right from the start if it doesn't interest them in the least. What i would consider to be the "no turning back point" for most fans, is probably around episode 20+. Since that is when the series really starts to develops its cast and its back stories. You will either hate it, or love it. IMO once i got to around episode 34 or so, i was pretty much sold then. It didn't take much to keep me entertained, To be honest with you, this show is so captivating and so addicting, that ive really never seen fans drop it like in the mid range, 100 episodes in or so. Like they have done before with other shonens, naruto and bleach.

Every piece of character development is thought out with such intricate detail. Though the overarching story line might be slowly developed. Through the course of the anime, rest assured the strongest point of this series is by its characters. Ive never seen an anime series, a shonen with such fully developed characters, heroes and villains alike.

EDIT: AND seriously what is it with all these new fans suddenly taking an interesting in one piece? lol. Is that because part 1 of the manga finally finished. Last few days, ive seen probably 7 or 8 starter threads about fans asking if they want to watch this series.

Oct 23, 2011 8:30 AM

Apr 2011
What I like about it is the characters. They're all hilarious in their own ways but have a deep and touching backstory. When they cry you want to cry too, when they're pissed you're pissed too, etc. Imo, they're portrayed really well.

Not to mention they grow at an acceptable rate compared to the others where they just become stronger for no apparent reason whatsoever.
Oct 29, 2011 8:22 PM
Oct 2011
Why not? Out of all the long running animes, One piece actually brings something new to the table, a plot that is not so cut and clean. Ya the plot talks about one piece, and it seems the goal is for luffy to become the pirate king, but it explores themes on good and evil, and develops the characters much better than any of the long running animes. this may have extended the length, but definitely did not take away from its beauty. I actually started out watching this anime on VHS back when it wasn't available on DVD yet, and I can tell you it interested me right away, back when i was a hardcore DBZ fan. But DBZ was way more shallow. This anime has a little more of a deeper feeling and meaning to it.
Oct 29, 2011 8:29 PM
Oct 2011
Dragon Ball Z is no where near as good as One Piece! I remember when Dragon Ball Z was on cable and it sucked. Only seen a few episodes of it and never got into it. It was just all action and no plot or character development....

I love me some One Piece though! It's one of the greatest animes I ever seen because it's like you go through a adventure with the characters. You feel like your in the story or anime....you get to know the characters so well...the straw hat crew that is...

All long running animes currently coming out with new episodes, here is my list of what is best to worst...

One Piece: The best
Fairy Tail: 2nd best
Bleach: 3rd best
Naruto: 4th best

Dragonball Z was terrible to me and so was Inyusha... I haven't seen all the episodes currently out for all these series so if I did this order might change except for One Piece...
Oct 29, 2011 8:30 PM

May 2009
It took me 8 months to catch up to One Piece. I do not regret it whatsoever.
The characters are awesome. Hardly any of them get on my nerves. (ex: Naruto Shippuuden-Sakura (UGH!))
The story is (I believe) different. And even the fillers blended in well and actually helped explain the story in the future.
Oct 30, 2011 1:51 AM

Feb 2008
this is my point of view,
one piece is greater than naruto/bleach

among those 3, one piece give me the feeling of wanting to watch more. I already stop watching the other two. :))
well, detective conan is awesome too.
Give one piece a try and you can get the answer to your question.
... =_=

Oct 30, 2011 6:28 AM
Nov 2010
"One Piece is improving a lot by every episode" is what I think of as the biggest reason for it...
Nov 1, 2011 5:31 AM

Sep 2011
took me a lot to get into this anime, the art was strange and some of the characters annoying at first. i stuck with it though, and thank fuck i did!

truely is an amazing anime, even though its long you will find yourself on the edge of your seat, at times in awe at times laughing your head off and at times with a tear in your eye.

great story, great characters,emotion and vision.

It is also the highest selling Manga of all time! nothing comes close.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2011-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011-first-half
Nov 1, 2011 10:25 AM
Oct 2010
it is a fucking masterpiece
and when it is over it wouldnt surprise me if it becomes the #1 in mal
Nov 1, 2011 4:02 PM

Oct 2011
I want to know statistics about the ages of Viewers of one piece in japan ???
Nov 1, 2011 5:09 PM

Sep 2008
Well, I'm 21 and I gotta say, this series is my ALL TIME FAVORITE!!!!

I was skeptical at first. It looked a little childish, but for some reason it had a high score. During that time I felt like watching a long running series, and... I gave One Piece a try. The best decision I ever made. Period. I also agree that once One Piece is finished, it could very well be #1 on this site. Just give it a try. It really does get better and better over time; very good character development, and story. The creator is a genius.
Nov 1, 2011 5:16 PM

Sep 2011
@loub31

anime statistics would be hard to find, here some information on the Manga though:

"Taken from the “benevolent” bowels of Sankaku Complex. A statistical analysis reveals that most of One Piece’s manga patrons are adults. In the statistic: 43% of its readers are in an age range of 19-29; followed by 30-49 at 32% and 13% for the rest of the senior citizenry. All in all, the statistic reveals that it’s entire audience is 88% adults."

Also think of all the people that were turned off of this anime because of the 4kids censoring.
Only way to watch it is original and subbed IMO
Nov 1, 2011 5:18 PM
Mar 2011
mickahcs said:
@laub31

anime statistics would be hard to find, here some information on the Manga though:

"Taken from the “benevolent” bowels of Sankaku Complex. A statistical analysis reveals that most of One Piece’s manga patrons are adults. In the statistic: 43% of its readers are in an age range of 19-29; followed by 30-49 at 32% and 13% for the rest of the senior citizenry. All in all, the statistic reveals that it’s entire audience is 88% adults."

for the last six weeks oone piece has not even been in the top five tv ratings for anime [ and it wil never get top 3 ]

Also think of all the people that were turned off of this anime because of the 4kids censoring.
Only way to watch it is original and subbed IMO
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 1, 2011 6:16 PM

Sep 2011
I think he was looking for demographics.

what TV rating are you looking at? because One Piece in consistently 2nd spot next to Sazae-san (longest running animated series ever) in Japanese TV ratings:

10/17/11-10/23/11 - Ratings

16.6%(19.2%) 10/23 (Sun) 6:30pm-7:00pm Fuji TV Sazae-san

12.6%(10.1%) 10/23 (Sun) 9:30am-10:00am Fuji TV One Piece

11.4%(13.2%) 10/23 (Sun) 6:00pm-6:30pm Fuji TV Chibi Maruko-chan

10.3%(--.-%) 10/23 (Fri) 7:00pm-7:30pm TV Asahi Doraemon

10.0%(11.1%) 10/22 (Sat) 6:00pm-6:30pm NTV Detective Conan

*9.3%(--.-%) 10/23 (Fri) 7:30pm-7:54pm TV Asahi Crayon Shin-chan

*8.0%(*6.1%) 10/23 (Sun) 9:00am-9:30am Fuji TV Toriko

*5.9%(*5.7%) 10/23 (Sun) 8:30am-9:00am TV Asahi Suite Precure

*4.8%(*5.4%) 10/19 (Wed) 7:00pm-7:27pm TV Tokyo Inazuma Eleven GO

*4.6%(**.*%) 10/22 (Sat) 9:00am-9:20am ETV Shaun the sheep

-------------------------------

*4.5%(*4.0%) 10/23 (Sun) 10:55am-11:25am NTV Hunter × Hunter

*2.4%(*2.6%) 10/20 (Thu) 12:45am-1:45am Fuji TV Un-Go/Guilty Crown

*2.4%(*1.9%) 10/21 (Fri) 4:30pm-5:00pm NTV Soreike! Anpanman

*2.2%(*3.1%) 10/23 (Sun) 7:00am-7:30am NTV Beelzebub

*2.2%(*1.1%) 10/18 (Tue) 12:59am-1:29am NTV Chihayafuru

*2.1%(*1.8%) 10/23 (Sun) 7:00am-7:30am TV Asahi Battle Spirits: Heroes

*1.9%(*2.0%) 10/23 (Sun) 6:30am-7:00am TV Asashi Digimon Xros Wars: Toki o Kakeru Shōnen Hunter-tachi

*1.4%(*0.7%) 10/21 (Fri) 3:43am-4:13am NTV 07-GHOST (Rerun)

*1.0%(*1.0%) 10/18 (Tue) 2:29am-3:24am NTV Supernatural: The Anime Series
Nov 1, 2011 9:10 PM

Jul 2009
Epic. Simply Epic.

The characters, the fights, the relationships, Luffy, nakama's loyalty to one another, brotherhood. Just epic. When it comes to characters being pushed to their limits (in typical shonen way of course), One Piece delivers. "delivers" is a bad word.

One Piece POUNDS epic-ness into you.
Nov 1, 2011 9:25 PM

Jun 2009
Momotaros said:
Epic. Simply Epic.

The characters, the fights, the relationships, Luffy, nakama's loyalty to one another, brotherhood. Just epic. When it comes to characters being pushed to their limits (in typical shonen way of course), One Piece delivers. "delivers" is a bad word.

This is probably one of the best descriptions for this series I've seen.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 1, 2011 9:32 PM

Sep 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Momotaros said:
Epic. Simply Epic.

This is probably one of the best descriptions for this series I've seen.

quoted for truth!
Nov 2, 2011 3:34 AM

Oct 2011
mickahcs said:
I think he was looking for demographics.

what TV rating are you looking at? because One Piece in consistently 2nd spot next to Sazae-san (longest running animated series ever) in Japanese TV ratings:

10/17/11-10/23/11 - Ratings

16.6%(19.2%) 10/23 (Sun) 6:30pm-7:00pm Fuji TV Sazae-san

12.6%(10.1%) 10/23 (Sun) 9:30am-10:00am Fuji TV One Piece

11.4%(13.2%) 10/23 (Sun) 6:00pm-6:30pm Fuji TV Chibi Maruko-chan

10.3%(--.-%) 10/23 (Fri) 7:00pm-7:30pm TV Asahi Doraemon

10.0%(11.1%) 10/22 (Sat) 6:00pm-6:30pm NTV Detective Conan

*9.3%(--.-%) 10/23 (Fri) 7:30pm-7:54pm TV Asahi Crayon Shin-chan

*8.0%(*6.1%) 10/23 (Sun) 9:00am-9:30am Fuji TV Toriko

*5.9%(*5.7%) 10/23 (Sun) 8:30am-9:00am TV Asahi Suite Precure

*4.8%(*5.4%) 10/19 (Wed) 7:00pm-7:27pm TV Tokyo Inazuma Eleven GO

*4.6%(**.*%) 10/22 (Sat) 9:00am-9:20am ETV Shaun the sheep

-------------------------------

*4.5%(*4.0%) 10/23 (Sun) 10:55am-11:25am NTV Hunter × Hunter

*2.4%(*2.6%) 10/20 (Thu) 12:45am-1:45am Fuji TV Un-Go/Guilty Crown

*2.4%(*1.9%) 10/21 (Fri) 4:30pm-5:00pm NTV Soreike! Anpanman

*2.2%(*3.1%) 10/23 (Sun) 7:00am-7:30am NTV Beelzebub

*2.2%(*1.1%) 10/18 (Tue) 12:59am-1:29am NTV Chihayafuru

*2.1%(*1.8%) 10/23 (Sun) 7:00am-7:30am TV Asahi Battle Spirits: Heroes

*1.9%(*2.0%) 10/23 (Sun) 6:30am-7:00am TV Asashi Digimon Xros Wars: Toki o Kakeru Shōnen Hunter-tachi

*1.4%(*0.7%) 10/21 (Fri) 3:43am-4:13am NTV 07-GHOST (Rerun)

*1.0%(*1.0%) 10/18 (Tue) 2:29am-3:24am NTV Supernatural: The Anime Series

can you tell me where did you get this ranking until rank 20 ??
Nov 2, 2011 4:04 AM

Aug 2010
Momotaros said:
Epic. Simply Epic.

You keep using that buzzword.
Nov 5, 2011 6:47 PM
Oct 2011
I think it's the best because of the adventures they go on and the straw hat crew. Also their interaction with each other...
Nov 20, 2011 11:01 AM

Nov 2011
scytheboy13 said:
It took me 8 months to catch up to One Piece. I do not regret it whatsoever.
The characters are awesome. Hardly any of them get on my nerves. (ex: Naruto Shippuuden-Sakura (UGH!))
The story is (I believe) different. And even the fillers blended in well and actually helped explain the story in the future.
yea man sakura pissed me off the most in naruto
MinimalismGeekNov 20, 2011 11:14 AM
Nov 20, 2011 11:19 AM

Nov 2011
LilKis1986 said:
I think it's the greatest long running anime because of the character development and the characters. The characters steal the show cuz their sooo diverse!! this is my 2nd favorite anime of all time right behind Cowboy Bebop. I have only seen the dubbed funimation version though of season 1. I have yet to see season 2 and 3 even though I bought all the voyages cuz I'm waiting for season 4 to be announced dubbed by funimation...
LOL bro just wait until u watch the CP9 saga
Nov 20, 2011 11:21 AM

Nov 2011
Cyber_Ryoga said:
Jb1528 said:

NO!!!! Gintama is the best in site! 201 (first temp, score at 9.1) + 28 (2ºnd temp score at 9.15)

"Gintama is easilly the best rated long running anime on the site"
One Piece is 3rd, because Legend of Galatic Heroes (+10 years runing) is 2nd
yes well i don't c gintama being the best show the best sellling manga in japan is one piece with over 250 million copies of volume sold
Apr 3, 2013 2:59 AM

Jan 2010
So long... without mistakes.
Great cast: one of the biggest ever seen in anime, and Oda knows how to show them.
It makes people laugh and cry.
Simple but well narrated plot: it is a great somehow-mysterious (yes, there are mysteries: Vegapunk, part of Roger life, JoyBoy, ancient weapons, Dragoon and his group, etc) web of events and characters.
Great battles: devil fruits give such a variety to combat abilities and battles... and there are no stupid, no-sense power up.
Most of all, as I said with "laugh and cry", it's one of the most exciting shonen.
Apr 3, 2013 3:34 AM

Jul 2011
Creativity is everything, OP is not like the others shounen, school >training >battles, and it repeats over and over again.
Apr 3, 2013 3:36 AM
Mar 2011
one of the top five

Apr 3, 2013 4:27 AM

Oct 2010
Because it shows the characters running in every opening.

What is this question anyway?
Apr 3, 2013 4:57 AM

Oct 2011
"its different than the other 2... its based on characters, emotions, pride and dreams."
That's exactly what the other 2 are about too, though.

@OP it isn't, it's the most popular, but in quality, it's around the same as the other big 3, hence the title, big 3. One might top the other at a time, and the other at some other time. But as far as best long anime, none of these 3 come close.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2013 5:00 AM
Mar 2011
x5exotic said:
"its different than the other 2... its based on characters, emotions, pride and dreams."
That's exactly what the other 2 are about too, though.

@OP it isn't, it's the most popular, but in quality, it's around the same as the other big 3, hence the title, big 3. One might top the other at a time, and the other at some other time. But as far as best long anime, none of these 3 come close.

BIG 3 thats a Joke always has been
Manga sales One piece just buries the other two of the so called big three
and in T V ratings one was the only one ever in the top 10 on any consistant basis

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 145 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VARIAchan - Jan 1, 2010

54 by kejora »»
60 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

165 by Turisuto »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 360 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mulderman - Jul 4, 2008

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 359 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 26, 2008

46 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 899 Discussion ( 1 2 )

blank - Aug 24, 2019

54 by scarywolf143 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.