Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 29, 2009 12:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 127
Windows 7 is great, it even works wonders on older machines. I installed it on an old computer i had, ~6 years old, it's like a new machine!

Also, been using it on main comp since RC7100, never had any trouble.
 
Oct 29, 2009 3:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1217
ukonkivi said:
My opinion:
Haauuuuuuuuuu 7-tan.<3


ya

I already installed the nanami theme
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
 
Nov 1, 2009 8:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4376
Asrialys said:

How can you not like the ever-so-useful taskbar? Or do you just dislike the look? Just make the icons smaller if it's too big for you?


nah, i just didnt like it at the beggining.. now i installed it and its fuckin' awesome o_O

everybody delete the crappy vista and install 7...

the OS is really improved.. in comparison with vista
 
Nov 1, 2009 9:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 4288
I've been using Windows 7 since its beta stage. I strongly recommend it since I find it way better than XP.

Just make sure you get the RC not the beta since you'll have problems with MMORPG's gameguard software.

One of the many things I'm amazed at it is it installed my drivers automatically. Looks like I won't bother with downloading them manually.

Forgot to add that the search function is dynamic (I think this is the right term) and the taskbar is great.
Modified by Sylpheed, Nov 1, 2009 9:16 AM

 
Nov 1, 2009 9:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2211
Sylpheed said:
Forgot to add that the search function is dynamic (I think this is the right term) and the taskbar is great.
Start menu search function is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
 
Nov 4, 2009 5:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4376
Mawootad said:
[Start menu search function is the greatest thing since sliced bread.


like totally x)))
its an awesome feature...
though it was on mac since the beginning of time xD
how could they not put it in xp ? ))
 
Nov 4, 2009 5:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2211
smokes said:
Mawootad said:
[Start menu search function is the greatest thing since sliced bread.


like totally x)))
its an awesome feature...
though it was on mac since the beginning of time xD
how could they not put it in xp ? ))
They were too busy adding more things to do with the right mouse button :P.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
 
Nov 4, 2009 6:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1489
Windows 7 makes me feel like I'm using an Mac..the UI interfaces are similar....

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
 
Nov 4, 2009 6:12 AM
Monia-Hime

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 39488
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
 
Nov 4, 2009 6:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2211
SweetMonia said:
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
Remind me, please, what can a Mac do that a Windows PC can't? Because it seems to me like buying a Mac is the equivalent of paying twice as much for worse hardware and a tiny software library.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
 
Nov 4, 2009 6:26 AM
Monia-Hime

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 39488
Mawootad said:
SweetMonia said:
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
Remind me, please, what can a Mac do that a Windows PC can't? Because it seems to me like buying a Mac is the equivalent of paying twice as much for worse hardware and a tiny software library.


Macs are not as overpriced as you are referring to, they are a quality computers, you get an a virus-free experience from them(almost), without raving on their own like many windows machines do, they come with more software more than any Windows machine with many embedded features that windows doesn't even have natively. the comparing isn't not always about the hardware, it's the quality of the software too. also, what's the point of having more hardware if windows is gonna eat All the resources of your system.
 
Nov 4, 2009 6:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4829
SweetMonia said:
Mawootad said:
SweetMonia said:
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
Remind me, please, what can a Mac do that a Windows PC can't? Because it seems to me like buying a Mac is the equivalent of paying twice as much for worse hardware and a tiny software library.


Macs are not as overpriced as you are referring to, they are a quality computers, you get an a virus-free experience from them(almost), without raving on their own like many windows machines do, they come with more software more than any Windows machine with many embedded features that windows doesn't even have natively. the comparing isn't not always about the hardware, it's the quality of the software too. also, what's the point of having more hardware if windows is gonna eat All the resources of your system.


I don't know where you get your facts from, but I recommend looking for a different source.
 
Nov 4, 2009 8:07 AM
Monia-Hime

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 39488
Chavez said:
SweetMonia said:
Mawootad said:
SweetMonia said:
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
Remind me, please, what can a Mac do that a Windows PC can't? Because it seems to me like buying a Mac is the equivalent of paying twice as much for worse hardware and a tiny software library.


Macs are not as overpriced as you are referring to, they are a quality computers, you get an a virus-free experience from them(almost), without raving on their own like many windows machines do, they come with more software more than any Windows machine with many embedded features that windows doesn't even have natively. the comparing isn't not always about the hardware, it's the quality of the software too. also, what's the point of having more hardware if windows is gonna eat All the resources of your system.


I don't know where you get your facts from, but I recommend looking for a different source.


They are a well-known facts & easy to prove, no need for citation here.
 
Nov 4, 2009 8:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 25654
Been using it for over a year on a Closed Private Invite MSDN Beta. Love it.
 
Nov 4, 2009 8:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4829
SweetMonia said:
Chavez said:
SweetMonia said:
Mawootad said:
SweetMonia said:
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
Remind me, please, what can a Mac do that a Windows PC can't? Because it seems to me like buying a Mac is the equivalent of paying twice as much for worse hardware and a tiny software library.


Macs are not as overpriced as you are referring to, they are a quality computers, you get an a virus-free experience from them(almost), without raving on their own like many windows machines do, they come with more software more than any Windows machine with many embedded features that windows doesn't even have natively. the comparing isn't not always about the hardware, it's the quality of the software too. also, what's the point of having more hardware if windows is gonna eat All the resources of your system.


I don't know where you get your facts from, but I recommend looking for a different source.


They are a well-known facts & easy to prove, no need for citation here.


Right...

I have no idea which Windows you used, must've been Vista with all services enabled and 5 virus scanners simultaneously running a preventive scan all the time.

Mac does not deliver embedded software. Know your definitions, they are simply pre-installed programs.

Mac has problems from itself, like any other OS (like, for example, how all your data was deleted when switching forth and back on a guest account on the newest Snow Leopard).

Windows has way more software included than you are aware of, however, these are for enterprise usage (since that's where Windows is used, you won't see a company domain with Mac's on them around a lot).

Also, your reply on Mawootad isn't relevant. He/She's asking what a Windows PC can't do compared to a Mac.
 
Nov 4, 2009 8:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4194
SweetMonia said:


Macs are not as overpriced as you are referring to, they are a quality computers, you get an a virus-free experience from them(almost),



Isn't the reason you get a almost virus free experience because most people use windows, so it makes sense for hackers to make a virus for something that most people use. I also disagree about MACs not being overpriced. Its like if most people in the world use one brand of lock, then what sense does it make for a crook to learn how to break into the one brand most people do not use.

I also disagree with your claim that it is not overpriced. I guarantee you that a pre-built windows PC for 1000 dollars has more than a pr- built MAC for the same price.


without raving on their own like many windows machines do, they come with more software more than any Windows machine with many embedded features that windows doesn't even have natively. the comparing isn't not always about the hardware, it's the quality of the software too.


Considering the price of a MAC I could probably buy a pc with the same amount of hardware that is in a mac and use the left over money to buy all those programs and still have money left over to buy a lot of games.



also, what's the point of having more hardware if windows is gonna eat All the resources of your system.



Some of those MAC have a lot of hardware in them too.

Yeah windows has some bugs every now and then but its no big deal, bugs can be fixed. Do I spend 800-1000 dollars and get a computer than has 8 gigs of memory or more,quad core cpu,640 gig hard hard or more and graphics card with a gig of memory or more and can play practically any game or program that is on the store shelves or do I spend the same amount of money on a Mac that has 320 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of memory, 256 mb graphics card that most likely only a small fraction of games and software will work on a mac.
 
Nov 4, 2009 8:41 AM
Monia-Hime

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 39488
Chavez said:
SweetMonia said:
Chavez said:
SweetMonia said:
Mawootad said:
SweetMonia said:
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
Remind me, please, what can a Mac do that a Windows PC can't? Because it seems to me like buying a Mac is the equivalent of paying twice as much for worse hardware and a tiny software library.


Macs are not as overpriced as you are referring to, they are a quality computers, you get an a virus-free experience from them(almost), without raving on their own like many windows machines do, they come with more software more than any Windows machine with many embedded features that windows doesn't even have natively. the comparing isn't not always about the hardware, it's the quality of the software too. also, what's the point of having more hardware if windows is gonna eat All the resources of your system.


I don't know where you get your facts from, but I recommend looking for a different source.


They are a well-known facts & easy to prove, no need for citation here.


Right...

I have no idea which Windows you used, must've been Vista with all services enabled and 5 virus scanners simultaneously running a preventive scan all the time.

Mac does not deliver embedded software. Know your definitions, they are simply pre-installed programs.

Mac has problems from itself, like any other OS (like, for example, how all your data was deleted when switching forth and back on a guest account on the newest Snow Leopard).

Windows has way more software included than you are aware of, however, these are for enterprise usage (since that's where Windows is used, you won't see a company domain with Mac's on them around a lot).

Also, your reply on Mawootad isn't relevant. He/She's asking what a Windows PC can't do compared to a Mac.


I have used All windows releases since Windosw 95, on many different computers, with and without services, anti-virus software, and I am giving my opinion basing on my experience.

Yes, they do come with Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools) & iLife (includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, iDVD) (source: Apple website), also there are many embedded features in OSX that are not in windows, like mounting ISO images & printing to PDF.

No, I know that issue, the data wasn't lost, it's only that the home folder get re-link to another one, I never said Mac has no problems, no OSs doesn't.

We are talking about home-users here, no one mentioned enterprises. enterprises use windows because most people are familiar with it, that's not a fault in the Mac OSX itself. I don't take dominance as a criteria when I judge products, dominance is more about marketing, not quality.

True, as windows is the most used OS in the world, so more software was developed for it, but, if All the software I want can be found on Mac why should one bother?

I only replied about the pricing issue, my comparison between Mac & Windows is more about the user experience, not what each can do or cannot do.
 
Nov 4, 2009 8:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7534
Whatever you do don't listen to anybody saying get a Mac. You will regret it.
 
Nov 4, 2009 8:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4829
SweetMonia said:

I have used All windows releases since Windosw 95, on many different computers, with and without services, anti-virus software, and I am giving my opinion basing on my experience.


So your 'experience' are these 'well known facts' you speak of?

SweetMonia said:
Yes, they do come with Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools) & iLife (includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, iDVD) (source: Apple website), also there are many embedded features in OSX that are not in windows, like mounting ISO images & printing to PDF.


So not even secure deletion (Cipher), Customer Keyboard Character creation, Software Troubleshooter (Dr Watson), DirectX Diagnostics (DXDiag), Installer creator (IExpress), Workgroup chat program (Winchat), File signature verification tool, Telnet, Text-To-Speech Narrator, and the likes? Really, it has no use discussing things like that, it means nothing. Software can be downloaded for both OS.

SweetMonia said:
No, I know that issue, the data wasn't lost, it's only that the home folder get re-link to another one, I never said Mac has no problems, no OSs doesn't.


I'm afraid the data was lost.

SweetMonia said:
We are talking about home-users here, no one mentioned enterprises. enterprises use windows because most people are familiar with it, that's not a fault in the Mac OSX itself. I don't take dominance as a criteria when I judge products, dominance is more about marketing, not quality.


Not at all. It's used because it's a better system for business.

SweetMonia said:
True, as windows is the most used OS in the world, so more software was developed for it, but, if All the software I want can be found on Mac why should one bother?


Since a lot of software isn't compatible?

SweetMonia said:
I only replied about the pricing issue, my comparison between Mac & Windows is more about the user experience, not what each can do or cannot do.


And that's something you can't defend I'm afraid. Macs are hell lot expensive because you pay for the name.
 
Nov 4, 2009 9:04 AM
Monia-Hime

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 39488
ezikialrage said:

Isn't the reason you get a almost virus free experience because most people use windows, so it makes sense for hackers to make a virus for something that most people use.


True, this serve as an advantage for any non-windows OS.

ezikialrage said:

Considering the price of a MAC I could probably buy a pc with the same amount of hardware that is in a mac and use the left over money to buy all those programs and still have money left over to buy a lot of games.


I will state it simply, Money isn't everything, you have to compare the Hardware, Software, & the amount of headache you're gonna get(or save), from using either Windows or MAC.

ezikialrage said:

Yeah windows has some bugs every now and then but its no big deal, bugs can be fixed. Do I spend 800-1000 dollars and get a computer than has 8 gigs of memory or more,quad core cpu,640 gig hard hard or more and graphics card with a gig of memory or more and can play practically any game or program that is on the store shelves or do I spend the same amount of money on a Mac that has 320 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of memory, 256 mb graphics card that most likely only a small fraction of games and software will work on a mac.

Some bugs?, there are a hell lot of them. I guess you are comparing the Mac mini with an ordinary windows desktop, okay, add the very lower power consumption & the smaller size to the equation then.

MAC isn't for gamers, if you are a gamer, don't buy it. Generally speaking, if you are that happy with windows, don't change to anything, unless you want to make sure you want to know All your alternatives, which is a good thing to do.

>>> There is no product that satisfy everyone, that's nearly impossible to achieve.
 
Nov 4, 2009 9:17 AM
Monia-Hime

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 39488
Chavez said:

So your 'experience' are these 'well known facts' you speak of?


Don't mix things up, you know when I am talking about facts or my experience


Chavez said:

I'm afraid the data was lost.

Not true

Chavez said:

Not at all. It's used because it's a better system for business.

No, it's because dominance, imagine the cost on training the employees on other system. This doesn't mean that windows is a better solution for business. Monopoly is always a bad thing.

Chavez said:

Since a lot of software isn't compatible?

You mean that Windows software don't work on Mac, that has nothing to do with compatibility, Mac software doesn't work on windows either!

Chavez said:

And that's something you can't defend I'm afraid. Macs are hell lot expensive because you pay for the name.

Every OS can do almost anything, what can't I defend. Yes I am paying for the name that's the acronym for "Quality"
 
Nov 4, 2009 9:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4829
SweetMonia said:
Don't mix things up, you know when I am talking about facts or my experience


Then I'm still wondering where you got these 'facts' from, because they are completely off.

SweetMonia said:
Not true


Okay.

SweetMonia said:
No, it's because dominance, imagine the cost on training the employees on other system. This doesn't mean that windows is a better solution for business. Monopoly is always a bad thing.


Okay, if you think Macs are great for software development/testing environments, then so be it. You seem to have different facts than me, anyways.

SweetMonia said:
You mean that Windows software don't work on Mac, that has nothing to do with compatibility, Mac software doesn't work on windows either!


SweetMonia said:
Yes I am paying for the name that's the acronym for "Quality"


These last two quotes just blew my mind.

Have fun living in wonderland. Alone.
 
Nov 4, 2009 9:31 AM
Monia-Hime

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 39488
Chavez said:

Then I'm still wondering where you got these 'facts' from, because they are completely off.


You can check them out yourself.

Chavez said:

Have fun living in wonderland. Alice.

Fixed
Thanks, It's really a wonderlands here, I will consider visiting you in the viruses land, Bye
 
Nov 4, 2009 9:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 612
Sasu-neko said:
Yeah, my computer broke some time ago and I'll buy a new one pretty soon. The problem is, I don't know which one to go for..

Vista is just pure garbage and XP is almost impossible to find (IMO). But I've heard pretty bad critique about Windows 7, is it really that bad? If yes, should I just go with Mac then?


Wait what?
XP > W7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vista

Linux is awesome too.
Dual boot, fuck yeah.

But that's just my opinion.
 
Nov 4, 2009 10:33 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1392
Darkii said:
Dual boot, fuck yeah.

Most useless.
Virtualization, if anything.

 
Nov 4, 2009 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 347
corbenic said:
Darkii said:
Dual boot, fuck yeah.

Most useless.
Virtualization, if anything.


Both have their uses. With virtualization you're losing performance, so you can't really game to the same standard as you would if you dual booted. In a programming environment, it'd definitely be better to virtualize because you don't need all that performance.
 
Nov 4, 2009 11:54 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1392
alamarco said:
Both have their uses. With virtualization you're losing performance, so you can't really game to the same standard as you would if you dual booted. In a programming environment, it'd definitely be better to virtualize because you don't need all that performance.

Well yeah, *nix users who want to play all those 3D games exist too, I guess. ;)

 
Nov 4, 2009 1:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 285
SweetMonia said:
Mawootad said:
SweetMonia said:
Whatever it's good or not, not rush things, I advise you to consider the Mac option too, because your life will be much easier if you bought one(considering it's appropriate for you). however, The decision between getting a windows and a Mac depends mainly on whatever you are gonna use your computer for and what applications are you gonna install on, like, if you are a gamer, yes, go for a windows.
Remind me, please, what can a Mac do that a Windows PC can't? Because it seems to me like buying a Mac is the equivalent of paying twice as much for worse hardware and a tiny software library.


Macs are not as overpriced as you are referring to, they are a quality computers, you get an a virus-free experience from them(almost), without raving on their own like many windows machines do, they come with more software more than any Windows machine with many embedded features that windows doesn't even have natively. the comparing isn't not always about the hardware, it's the quality of the software too. also, what's the point of having more hardware if windows is gonna eat All the resources of your system.


Can i play the biggest bad ass games on a mac?


P.S
100 points for Chavez's his discussion, perfectly anserd
Modified by Arcan, Nov 4, 2009 1:49 PM
 
Nov 4, 2009 1:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1661
SweetMonia said:
I will state it simply, Money isn't everything, you have to compare the Hardware, Software, & the amount of headache you're gonna get(or save), from using either Windows or MAC.
So... Windows wins?

What?

SweetMonia said:
Chavez said:
Then I'm still wondering where you got these 'facts' from, because they are completely off.
You can check them out yourself.
Did, you lose.
 
Nov 4, 2009 2:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 220
I would go the Mac or the Linux route myself. Both are easy to learn (Linux has so many user friendly distros out now), there is no (or very very little) worry about Viruses/Spyware, and if worse comes to worse and you *need* to run Windows for 1 or 2 apps you can just set your computer to Dual Boot, or run it from inside the Mac/Linux OS.

Plus with Linux you can run your computer for months and not have to reboot, and its opensource (read: free).

But that's just my opinion. I just gave up on Windows when every week or every other week there are security updates, making it seem like their mindset is "Let's hurry up and release an unfinished OS, and we can complete it as we go along"
 
Nov 4, 2009 4:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4194
SweetMonia said:

True, this serve as an advantage for any non-windows OS.


So isn't bragging about virus free experience like the kid who brings potted meat sandwiches to school bragging to the school kids with Lunchables, Ham and cheese sandwiches how no one wants to steal his lunch?





I will state it simply, Money isn't everything, you have to compare the Hardware, Software, & the amount of headache you're gonna get(or save), from using either Windows or MAC.


Windows has its bugs but it is tolerable.



Some bugs?, there are a hell lot of them. I guess you are comparing the Mac mini with an ordinary windows desktop, okay, add the very lower power consumption & the smaller size to the equation then.

MAC isn't for gamers, if you are a gamer, don't buy it. Generally speaking, if you are that happy with windows, don't change to anything, unless you want to make sure you want to know All your alternatives, which is a good thing to do.

>>> There is no product that satisfy everyone, that's nearly impossible to achieve.


What can a Mac do that a Windows pc of the same price can not do?
 
Nov 4, 2009 5:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5603
Why is this a Mac vs. Windows debate? The OP was asking for opinions on W7, one person mentions Macs and now there's over a page of Mac vs. Windows... doesn't really seem very productive.

Both have their pros and cons, but given the OP is obviously used to Windows, they would be better off going the W7 route to keep things as they are, instead of having to learn a whole new suite of software.
 
Nov 5, 2009 4:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 257
I think windows 7 is probably going to be great but I haven't used it yet. Since I got my new computer last month I can get a free upgrade but im afraid that some of my games wont work. Also, im not a Mac person at all, and from me it gets annoying getting bashed from Mac fan boys especially from where im from.
 
Top
Pages (2) « 1 [2]