Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2009 12:15 PM

May 2009
Yeah, my computer broke some time ago and I'll buy a new one pretty soon. The problem is, I don't know which one to go for..

Vista is just pure garbage and XP is almost impossible to find (IMO). But I've heard pretty bad critique about Windows 7, is it really that bad? If yes, should I just go with Mac then?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 28, 2009 12:18 PM

Dec 2007
Sasu-neko said:
But I've heard pretty bad critique about Windows 7, is it really that bad? If yes, should I just go with Mac then?

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. It uses little more RAM than XP and it's more stable than XP. So yes, I recommend Windows 7. Also, don't bother with Mac.
Oct 28, 2009 12:33 PM

Jan 2008
Macs are good for some things (I use one for all my music, movies, anime, photos, and as a HTPC since it has front row, optical audio out, and a remote) but they're expensive. Besides most applications run on Windows. As far as which version of Windows to get, definitely get 7. As stated above, it has many improvements over Vista and XP. XP is outdated anyway and you may run into some programs that only run on Vista or 7. (not sure)
Oct 28, 2009 12:34 PM

Dec 2007
BRS_CHIYO said:
XP is outdated anyway and you may run into some programs that only run on Vista or 7. (not sure)

Not yet, that'll take a while.
Oct 28, 2009 12:35 PM

Jan 2008
Chavez said:
BRS_CHIYO said:
XP is outdated anyway and you may run into some programs that only run on Vista or 7. (not sure)

But why not be future-proof?
Oct 28, 2009 12:38 PM

Dec 2007
BRS_CHIYO said:
Chavez said:
BRS_CHIYO said:

But why not be future-proof?

I didn't say she shouldn't upgrade, because I just recommended her to get Windows 7. I just mentioned it'll take a while before you will run into major software compatibility problems with Windows XP.
Oct 28, 2009 12:39 PM

May 2008
No, 7 isn't actually bad.
XP is old and Vista is just like a beta for 7.
More importantly, you can't keep holding on to an old OS forever, you know. Gotta move forward eventually.

Oct 28, 2009 12:41 PM

Apr 2008
I've been running the release candidate for more than half of a year, and the only problem I've run into is that it won't seem to install matlab, but other than that, it runs much smoother than vista, and it looks nice as well

Oct 28, 2009 12:42 PM

May 2009
Thanks for the replies everyone. Guess Windows 7 isn't that bad after all then. As long as it's not complicated and freeze all the time, I'm happy.
Oct 28, 2009 12:42 PM

May 2009
From what little i've seen of Windows 7, it's not bad. Quite a few people i know are using it (AI & Computer Science student), and they say it's pretty good for what they're doing with it, so i reckon it's not as bad as you might've heard.
Oct 28, 2009 12:52 PM

May 2008
Windows 7, with absolutely no doubt. I've been using it since January and it's by far the best Windows I've ever had.

edit: fugly? compared to XP and Vista? don't make me laugh.
georgiOct 28, 2009 12:55 PM
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Oct 28, 2009 12:54 PM

Apr 2009
It's fugly.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Oct 28, 2009 1:00 PM

Sep 2008
Aero is probably one of the best looking GUI's I've seen outside of custom themes. and on top of that, it's a lot less buggy than Vista, and there's really no reason to even go back to XP.

You'll be fine with 7 as long as you're not trying to use hardware from like, the 1980's.
Oct 28, 2009 1:04 PM

Mar 2009
Windows 7 is to XP what XP was to 98. That is, yes, it takes more hardware (but not much, all things considered), but it is also superior in every aspect. It looks beautiful, has many more security features, better hardware detection, etc.

I've run Windows 7 and Windows Vista since beta, and 7 is *much* more stable than Vista during prerelease, and I haven't had any significant problems since I started using 7 as my main OS in June.

Anyone remember people complaining about how much the hardware to use XP cost, as opposed to Windows 2000? Or about how the color scheme looked like a children's toy? The endless complaints about security and the BSOD? The complains about how it didn't support any of the hardware that 98 or 2000 did? Yeah, people forget that XP was a target of abuse for a long time... It was only after some bad press about Vista (and some brilliant marketing propaganda from Apple) that XP suddenly became TEH BEST OS EVAR, and everyone talked about how much better it was than Vista (or even 7).

People complaining about fugliness (of Vista or 7) make me laugh IRL. Aero, and now Windows 7's GUI, are both vastly better looking than XP (which I maintain looks like something designed by Playskool toys), and XP looks better than 2000 (people forget that, years ago, there was complaining about how XP was fuglier than previous versions).
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Oct 28, 2009 1:06 PM

May 2008
Personally, I hate XP even more than Vista.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Oct 28, 2009 1:11 PM

Mar 2009
How about some nostalgia time?

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=6958

Windows XP is a terrible operating system, even by Microsoft's standards. The skinning feature was long overdue, and they package it with a horrible kindergarten skin. It is filled with gaping security holes, as usual. And Microsoft is slow to release bug fixes. Compatibility is the worst i've seen in Windows (except for NT 4 or lower). The spyware is the sort of thing you'd expect only from poor suckers trying to make another penny (which is strange since MS is probably the richest company in the US, and possibly the world). [End ranting]

Avatar, I have no idea what you are talking about! My experiance with XP compatibility was not good at all. I frequently encountered those pleasant "Your program crashed, but Microsoft wants to help! So send this bug report!" dialogs. The only game I haven't been able to get running under Windows 2000 Pro was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and that was only because the server that hosted the Win2k patch went down.

Save some money, and some pride... Get Windows 2000 Pro for games, and Slackware Linux 8+ for everything else.

I just wanted to know how everyone else views the XP operating system? Ive used it alot in my business and I hate it. It seems slow and sluggish. It is not very secure either I understand? The way it has to be reg., to activate, what would you do if you wanted to put it on your other machines?

I have 2000 pro and it works fine.

"Windows XP Sucks"

No kidding!

It has crap for compatibility with older programs (example, those created to run on 9x)

It's not secure at all. Forget about hackers breaking in, microsoft will be the one stealing info from you! (try doing a search in your local intranet zone, or viewing a movie on Windows Media player 7.0 or greater - or heck, getting a microbrain DVD decoder)

Get yourself Windows 2000 Professional.

Windows XP blows. I reinstalled Win 98 SE

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3832-45-windows-sucks-hard-truth

yes the truth is that WIN XP sux! big time! first of all there are some irritating compatibility flaws... for e.g when i was using win2k i chked the compatibility for winxp it didnt show any major problem as for few little proggies that was ok....BUT when i upgraded it to WIN XP it said that it was not compatible with my modem(MOTOROLA SM56PCI) which was a major blow! and the damn thing said that u should chk for the drivers on the website but helllooooooo how am suppose to connect without my modem working! duh! so i had to again format it and install win2k which BTW rocks! among all the wins.
and another thing the interface also sucks it looks like wall of TOYS-R-US store! all bright and colourful i mean what the hell is that are we suppose to entertain lil kids with it or what!
phew! that was a bad experience !

if you disable all them candyland, colorful, girlscout interface, xp isnt all that bad...i just like it cuz it has drivers for most of my hardware (ie, sb live!, NIC, etc).
but i still like 2k better...
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Oct 28, 2009 1:14 PM

Aug 2009
Sasu-neko said:
Yeah, my computer broke some time ago and I'll buy a new one pretty soon. The problem is, I don't know which one to go for..

Vista is just pure garbage and XP is almost impossible to find (IMO). But I've heard pretty bad critique about Windows 7, is it really that bad? If yes, should I just go with Mac then?

From what I heard about Windows 7 it makes Vista look Windows ME. I know some of the stores like Best Buy have a free windows 7 upgrade offer if you buy a machine that has Vista on it and from what others have told me there are no hardware requirement changes between Vista and 7.. I bought a gateway pc from bestbuy and I should be getting a windows 7 upgrade from Gateway soon.
ezikialrageOct 28, 2009 1:20 PM
Oct 28, 2009 1:43 PM

Jun 2008
I've been using Windows 7 since April and I've not had any problems with it at all. I really like the new taskbar as well. It's possible to use the old style taskbar if you want to as well, but I recommend you to use the new one as it's much more efficient.
<b>Baby Ostriches?</b>
<div style="text-align: right;"></div>
Oct 28, 2009 1:54 PM

Dec 2007
Aonike said:
I really like the new taskbar as well. It's possible to use the old style taskbar if you want to as well, but I recommend you to use the new one as it's much more efficient when you're used to it.

Fixed that up.

Also, I have to admit I don't like the skin of Windows 7, I still like custom skins a lot better.

And to respond on ezikialrage; Windows Vista and 7 aren't related. Windows Vista is partially built on Windows Server 2003 code, and Windows 7 on the well appreciated XP code. No wonder everyone likes it! (source: wiki)
Oct 28, 2009 1:54 PM

Feb 2008
Got Windows 7 a few days ago, not that bad. Never messed with vista, but i haven't had any problems with 7. Find it annoying though that it installs driver automatically for everything(may be a way to change that), had to mess with it to get my PS3 controller to work on it. Other then that haven't had any problems with it. ....nothing else i can really say though..O.o..only had it for a few days..
Oct 28, 2009 2:19 PM

Jun 2008
Windows 7 is basically Vista improved with out the huge troubles of computer power the Vista had and with patches of a few other errors. But 95% percent of the code is still the same. Basically it's how Vista would have been if Microsoft wasn't rushing to release them.
Oct 28, 2009 3:19 PM

May 2008
rTz said:
Anyone remember people complaining about how much the hardware to use XP cost, as opposed to Windows 2000? Or about how the color scheme looked like a children's toy? The endless complaints about security and the BSOD? The complains about how it didn't support any of the hardware that 98 or 2000 did? Yeah, people forget that XP was a target of abuse for a long time... It was only after some bad press about Vista (and some brilliant marketing propaganda from Apple) that XP suddenly became TEH BEST OS EVAR, and everyone talked about how much better it was than Vista (or even 7).

The rubber-like interface really is ugly though.
Well, to be fair, XP didn't offer anything significant compared to 2k until SP2.
SP2 was the turning point I think, not Vista. When Vista was released, most people were on XP already, not 2k.

Windows 7 will probably push the 64-bit architecture utilization in software, I imagine lots of people will be using x64 version already, even if only due to RAM addressing limitation.
dichromaticOct 28, 2009 3:22 PM

Oct 28, 2009 3:37 PM

Mar 2009
SP2 was when XP got good, true. However, it wasn't until people hated Vista that everyone stopped complaining about XP.
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Oct 28, 2009 3:51 PM

May 2009
I'm using a macbook, but WHAT THE HELL? I INSTALLED WINDOWS ONTO IT, and now I'm spending at least 1 hour on the windows part, leaving my mac to rot. :P

last.fm|twitter|facebook (yeah right)
Oct 28, 2009 4:02 PM

Feb 2007
Love the new taskbar. I always liked the Quick Launch toolbar, so the new taskbar and new features is very welcome.

Libraries are pretty cool if you have stuff everywhere. But most of my stuff was in the My Documents area anyway, so it's only slightly less clicking.

Unfortunately, since this is an older laptop with a 32-MB graphics card, I can't play with the Aero stuff. But I plan to get Windows 7 on my Vista desktop eventually. I should have done that instead of my laptop, but I wanted to see how my laptop would do.

I don't know if it's Windows 7 on an old machine, me messing with my graphics card driver, the new 1 GB RAM stick, or the most recent CCCP, but even some SD videos seem to have some sort of lag on fullscreen. Can't even play Hulu videos on fullscreen. Should have tested what it was like at 512 RAM before putting in the new stick...
Oct 28, 2009 5:30 PM

Dec 2007
I love the 7. And I'm that kind of user that knows nothing about computers. Computer does not crash and is uber fast, so it's basically good.

I've had it for a few months now.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 28, 2009 6:18 PM

Jun 2009
Sasu-neko said:

make your own...if you do u'll save 1k..i made my own and if i had bought the same one from like dell it would have cost $$2000 but only cost me $1000.
Oct 28, 2009 6:20 PM

Apr 2008
Progenitor said:
Sasu-neko said:

make your own...if you do u'll save 1k..i made my own and if i had bought the same one from like dell it would have cost $$2000 but only cost me $1000.
that doesn't address the question of which OS to use, unless you are suggesting that the OP create her own OS, which is pretty damn time-consuming

Oct 28, 2009 6:22 PM

Apr 2009
Whether it works better or not, it's still fugly.
Oct 28, 2009 6:27 PM

Mar 2009
CDRW said:

As opposed to looking like playdough?
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Oct 28, 2009 6:28 PM

Apr 2009
rTz said:
CDRW said:

It's gotten fuglier every release since Windows 95.
Oct 28, 2009 6:29 PM

Mar 2009
CDRW said:
rTz said:
CDRW said:

Windows 3.0 had the superior interface
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Oct 28, 2009 6:32 PM

Apr 2009
rTz said:
CDRW said:
rTz said:
CDRW said:

Interface is second to fugliness, just ask the Appletards.
Oct 28, 2009 6:35 PM

Mar 2009
CDRW said:
rTz said:
CDRW said:
rTz said:
CDRW said:

superior
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Oct 28, 2009 6:37 PM

Apr 2009
rTz said:
CDRW said:
rTz said:
CDRW said:
rTz said:
CDRW said:

superior
Ah, that brings back memories. Sim Earth....
Oct 28, 2009 7:54 PM

Dec 2008
Sasu-neko said:

If you were to buy a LAPTOP about $100ish, spend $200 more get a mac. If not go with windows7.

I'm still on windows7 trial, will claim my free upgrade soon when i get a chance.
Oct 28, 2009 9:05 PM

Apr 2009
Windows 7
It's all in the name.

I wish I didn't have to pay for it, but eh, it's the best OS around for general use. I'm still waiting for Linux to not be a pain to learn and to be compatible with everything I use.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Oct 28, 2009 9:30 PM

Mar 2009
Mawootad said:
I'm still waiting for Linux to not be a pain to learn and to be compatible with everything I use.

I really hope that never happens. What will I use when linux goes mainstream, huh? FreeBSD?
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Oct 29, 2009 12:49 AM
Sep 2009
I've bought Win7 Ultimate a while ago. You could buy it at my school for just 20€ so I thought, why not?
After I installed Win7 I was positively surprised. I use the 32bit version and it's way faster than Vista. I can't compare it to XP because I didn't use it on this Computer yet but I do notice the improvement to compared to Vista. I didn't have any crashes yet and it runs very smooth.
I can only recommend it to everyone!
]
Oct 29, 2009 12:59 AM

Oct 2009
Windows 7 is better than Xp, and much better than Vista, i hawe already tried it, and i think it`s pretty nice... O_o
Oct 29, 2009 1:14 AM

Jun 2008
The lower memory blueprint is very much welcomed, as is the increased stability and security. My only grouse is the Start Menu. Sigh....
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Oct 29, 2009 1:29 AM

Sep 2008
turkeymeister said:
The lower memory blueprint is very much welcomed, as is the increased stability and security. My only grouse is the Start Menu. Sigh....
typing a few letters to find a program is a reason to Sigh?
Oct 29, 2009 2:45 AM

Jun 2008
Blaze-Senpai said:
turkeymeister said:
It's like that on Vista as well. The search function beats the old school folder exploring by billions.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Oct 29, 2009 2:56 AM

Apr 2009
the only thing i dont like is the taskbar -_-
its huge&ugly)
oh well, the new features are pretty cool
Oct 29, 2009 3:11 AM

May 2008
My opinion:
Haauuuuuuuuuu 7-tan.<3

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 29, 2009 7:54 AM

Jun 2008
Blaze_senpai said:

I like the program search feature. I also like being able to see all my installed programs at a glance.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Oct 29, 2009 8:00 AM

Feb 2008
Runs so much smoother than XP and Vista. Win 7 is pretty goddamn delicious.

And it looks fabulous.
Oct 29, 2009 8:18 AM

Feb 2007
smokes said:
the only thing i dont like is the taskbar -_-
its huge&ugly)
oh well, the new features are pretty cool

How can you not like the ever-so-useful taskbar? Or do you just dislike the look? Just make the icons smaller if it's too big for you?
Oct 29, 2009 10:17 AM

May 2008
It takes a moment to get used to.

Oct 29, 2009 10:26 AM

Mar 2009
I love 7. I spent the entire time I had vista installed on my laptop wishing I still used XP ( I hated reformatting back in the day lolz). I upgraded to 7 on my laptop and desktop have have never looked back.

Never really cared for the taskbar, so I use it with the classic theme. Changed some stuff around to give myself my quickstart icons next to Start/some other things. It's perfect now.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.