Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2014 10:38 AM

Sep 2011
What purpose does Five serve in this show?
To cater to much wider audience? To ones who cant watch a show without a generic tragic villain?
The character is unrealistic, unlikable, generic and stereotypical (and megumi han's english sux).
At least in Death Note Light hated... everyone because reasons.
Sep 13, 2014 11:21 AM

Oct 2011
I've been waiting patiently since her introduction to see what the show would do with her, and now that Zankyou no Terror is almost over it hasn't done much to dispel my initial impression of Five. It feels like she's there to add more conflict to the story, and give the plot another avenue to advance besides just Nine and Twelve playing cat and mouse with the police. It's not necessarily a bad thing, though the story does lose some of the moral ambiguity it originally had when it focused on Nine and Twelve's antics as borderline anti-hero/anti-villain terrorists. And It was certainly more interesting when the primary antagonist was the good guy detectives rather than crazy bitch Five.

To be fair, they did need something to spice up the narrative so that it would fit within a 1 cour time frame, but then that just makes me wonder if Zankyou no Terror would have been better suited as a feature length film instead of a 1 cour TV series. Either way it's still one of my favorite shows of the season, but it did get just a bit sillier once Five was introduced.

But hey, we still don't even know what exactly Nine and Twelve are trying to accomplish as terrorists, and the show does still have another episode or two. Zankyou no Terror still has a bit more to say before it concludes, so we'll see what they do.
SNchanSep 13, 2014 11:26 AM
Sep 14, 2014 1:19 AM

Jan 2010
Yeah, I agree. Everyone's bashing on Lisa (who is useless and doesn't know how to do anything except for apologize), but I think the real reason this anime is slowly dragging down its own name is the lack of characterization to their most prominent villain and to, well, every character except Shibazaki. I literally eye rolled when Five came on to the show because I had just finished watching Psycho Pass and honestly was looking for something a little more refreshing than the mysterious, white haired villain who shows up out of nowhere but somehow has connections to everyone and everything and manages to make the main characters's lives a living hell five episodes in and says stuff that we're supposed to take in as "witty" and "darkly intelligently enigmatic" and speaks random bursts of poor English. It's like Five and Makishima Shougo are the same person.

Great premise, though. If only everything after that could have lived up to the first few episodes.
Sep 14, 2014 1:47 AM
Sep 2013
How is she tragic? I couldn't care less if she was killed off next episode.
The character is worthless plot device.
Sep 14, 2014 2:04 AM

Nov 2013
I think people might be making assumptions too early. Yes i know it is episode 9 and we still do not know her motives, but i think the anime is just being subtle about it and i believe it will be able to pull it off in the last 2 episodes. The very fact that he backstory was slowly revealed and ties in with both 9 and 12 is evident of that. She would be generic if they didnt even bother with it
Anime gave me more life lessons than school
Sep 14, 2014 7:51 AM
Jun 2013
I just think she's an awful character. From her design, to her limited characterization, to her "plans", to her hilarious English.

I would have preferred the "only one intelligent police officer" cliche, over Five. But if she didn't show up and start using her Machiavellian tactics, the stupid police would probably never catch Sphinx.
Sep 14, 2014 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
It's just painful to hear her outright broken English. It sounds like a baby trying to learn the damn language.

It made some hilarious scenes tho' :P
Sep 14, 2014 5:25 PM

Aug 2008
Unnecessarily brilliant superdetective who can figure out all these riddles and puzzles and has a deep understanding of mythology but can't catch 2 kids in an airport kind of ruined it for me. Like, really? An airport is one of the easiest places to lock down and catch someone. In Death Note, L works as a great character because he is internationally famous, he's the best of the best, and plus, he gets to be unrealistically badass and smart because Death Note is partly a fantasy. Supernatural shit is going down. There's nothing supernatural about ZnT, it's just serious, yet unrealistic.
Sep 15, 2014 11:23 AM

May 2012
I personally like five the most in this anime. I like her sadistic personally, and she some nice looking legs. Better than these boring sphinx 1 & 2 kids
Sep 15, 2014 11:09 PM

Jul 2008
I like Five as she adds some suspense to the series, a show can only go so far with limited ideas and even the top mainstream series will feel boring overtime as the character development and plot weakens. Without her and possible Lisa (which I know most dislike but not me), it will feel like a one-way trip with Sphinx and Shibazaki for the true motives to come out in the end.
Sep 16, 2014 9:38 AM
Aug 2013
Yeah the show really took a turn for the worse since five appearance. Imo she is just the worst possible antagonist in almost every single way. Even if she has legitimate reasons or whatever it doesn't matter at this point, it doesn't change the fact that we had to endure a fully one dimensional totally annoying antagonist for almost the whole show. It seems they had an amazing story but lacked a character to move the plot forward. They should have just worked on the investigator, he showed the capability to beat sphinx instead of shitty five.
Sep 20, 2014 6:03 AM

Nov 2011
Her existence isn't really unnecessary.

But as it is, IT IS UNNECESSARY.

SHIT

Did she come out of a whore house or something????
What she did when she finally had 9 all for herself with the absence of outer interference.................WHAT??
Sep 21, 2014 8:57 AM

May 2010
zetsu_shoren said:
Her existence isn't really unnecessary.

But as it is, IT IS UNNECESSARY.

SHIT

Did she come out of a whore house or something????
What she did when she finally had 9 all for herself with the absence of outer interference.................WHAT??

Thats kind of a silly question...they kind of explained that numerous times since episode one. Her actually intro appeared episode one in 9's memories. 12 picked up lisa partly to help with that but mostly selfish reasons.

To answer your easy questions....

Sep 21, 2014 9:17 AM
Oct 2012
http://moesucks.com/tag/terror-in-resonance/page/2/

You can use this to find information on how Five acted and the reason why she did but even so, I don't expect people on a first base view would get or understand her. Shit, I don't understand her. Reading this article, it helped but thanks to the small running time, we have to dig so deep to understand what's going on and that's the downfall of the show. We have to use a microscope to find details and not everyone have time and that's why this anime's rating goes down in rankings.

That's why shows like NGNL which is to me a bore but is blunt in explaining what it wants to do and express the concern of the characters gets higher ratings because even a five year old would understand. This show blows information at you in fifteen different ways in the size of grains of minerals where only when you connect ALL the dots do you get a beach, sand covering you on how to understand all of what's going on.

Really shouldn't have been given an eleven episode season. Then again, Watanabe might have destroyed the budget before they reach episode eight.
Sep 21, 2014 6:47 PM

Jul 2012
Sorrows_Neptune said:
I've been waiting patiently since her introduction to see what the show would do with her, and now that Zankyou no Terror is almost over it hasn't done much to dispel my initial impression of Five. It feels like she's there to add more conflict to the story, and give the plot another avenue to advance besides just Nine and Twelve playing cat and mouse with the police. It's not necessarily a bad thing, though the story does lose some of the moral ambiguity it originally had when it focused on Nine and Twelve's antics as borderline anti-hero/anti-villain terrorists. And It was certainly more interesting when the primary antagonist was the good guy detectives rather than crazy bitch Five.

To be fair, they did need something to spice up the narrative so that it would fit within a 1 cour time frame, but then that just makes me wonder if Zankyou no Terror would have been better suited as a feature length film instead of a 1 cour TV series. Either way it's still one of my favorite shows of the season, but it did get just a bit sillier once Five was introduced.

But hey, we still don't even know what exactly Nine and Twelve are trying to accomplish as terrorists, and the show does still have another episode or two. Zankyou no Terror still has a bit more to say before it concludes, so we'll see what they do.

hinahinaxxchoco said:
Yeah, I agree. Everyone's bashing on Lisa (who is useless and doesn't know how to do anything except for apologize), but I think the real reason this anime is slowly dragging down its own name is the lack of characterization to their most prominent villain and to, well, every character except Shibazaki. I literally eye rolled when Five came on to the show because I had just finished watching Psycho Pass and honestly was looking for something a little more refreshing than the mysterious, white haired villain who shows up out of nowhere but somehow has connections to everyone and everything and manages to make the main characters's lives a living hell five episodes in and says stuff that we're supposed to take in as "witty" and "darkly intelligently enigmatic" and speaks random bursts of poor English. It's like Five and Makishima Shougo are the same person.

Great premise, though. If only everything after that could have lived up to the first few episodes.

Agreed.
Sep 24, 2014 8:15 PM

Jun 2014
I somehow lost interest in the show after her appearance.
Sep 25, 2014 6:32 PM
Dec 2012
I hated her tbh,.. she had no purpose at all. The reason she was obsessed with Nine was also really weird. In stead of screentime with her, they should have given more backstory for Twelve and Nine. :/ That would have made them empathetic enough. They didn't have to add the crazy ass bish so we would see that the other two aren't quite as bad as they seem to be??
Sep 25, 2014 6:58 PM

May 2012
better than Lisa..

Sep 25, 2014 8:05 PM

Jul 2010
I agree completely. Five was just so generic, and she really detracted from all the beauty around her. She felt out of place within the show.

It was still brilliant, don't get me wrong. These characters will stay with me for a long time, especially Twelve and Lisa. But Five definitely won't be one of them. I wish there was a more intelligent villain within the show.

BRK25 said:
http://moesucks.com/tag/terror-in-resonance/page/2/

You can use this to find information on how Five acted and the reason why she did but even so, I don't expect people on a first base view would get or understand her. Shit, I don't understand her. Reading this article, it helped but thanks to the small running time, we have to dig so deep to understand what's going on and that's the downfall of the show. We have to use a microscope to find details and not everyone have time and that's why this anime's rating goes down in rankings.

I've read that review and it's really insightful, but I think it's bad writing that we should have to think so much about a character's motive and intentions simply to appreciate their role in the plot. It's like trying to analyze the characters in Glasslip.
fishergirl16Sep 25, 2014 8:10 PM
Sep 25, 2014 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
Amonilicious said:
They didn't have to add the crazy ass bish so we would see that the other two aren't quite as bad as they seem to be??

Indeed; Five dispelled some of the moral ambiguity surrounding Nine and Twelve. Had she not been introduced and the moral ambiguity remained, Nine and Twelve would've been more interesting characters and made this a better series overall. Thus, Five's very presence dragged the show down.

Now add in the fact that the drama surrounding Five was, for the most part, ill conceived, and it turns out she did pretty much ruin the show. Almost, anyway.

This would have been a 9/10 series without her.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 25, 2014 8:11 PM

Jul 2011
All of the other 4 characters were fairly boring so they wanted to throw a yandere (?) into the mix
Sep 25, 2014 8:54 PM

Jul 2014
It was tragic that she had to be in the show at all...
Sep 26, 2014 2:32 AM

Sep 2014
Yeah she was the only reason i put an 8 instead of higher for this show she really should have been thrown out of the show a long time ago and people blame Lisa for a lot of that which i can understand but i think most of it was five imo
Sep 26, 2014 10:33 PM

Aug 2008
She ruin the show for me.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 27, 2014 10:03 AM

Oct 2011
Still better than Lisa...
At least Five was an attempt (also liked her a lot more). Lisa didn't do shit.
Sep 30, 2014 5:38 AM
Dec 2011
agree
Oct 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Mar 2013
Han megumi (GON) is five.

Omg wait.
This was the most surprising thing about this character for me.

She was useless in the end, no lie, but still better than Lisa.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

380 by Yavicci »»
Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

866 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:47 PM

» Boring

egosumjohn - Aug 30, 2023

22 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 5, 2014

422 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.