Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2014 2:20 AM

Mar 2012
Each episode seems disconnected to a degree from another and it doesn't feel very relevant to the overarching plot, which episode does it come together?
End Zionazism
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 12, 2014 3:27 AM

Jul 2010
Mikasa said:
Each episode seems disconnected to a degree from another and it doesn't feel very relevant to the overarching plot, which episode does it come together?

You should get used to it because it follows the same episodic formula till the later Parts. But anyway, when they will reach Egypt (so as soon as the new cour begins) it will feel less episodic, that's for sure.
Sep 12, 2014 3:28 AM

Jun 2009
This is basically how it is for the entire series. Stand user shows up, gets defeated, another one shows up etc. All the while they get closer to Egypt where they will fight Dio.
Sep 12, 2014 3:39 AM

Mar 2012
Awww
Which episode exactly is the new cour?
End Zionazism
Sep 12, 2014 3:50 AM

Jun 2009
Well, episode 26...or episode 1 of the next season depending on how they will call it.
Sep 12, 2014 9:31 AM

Jul 2011
All parts of JJBA are episode battle series, from here on out especially. The first two parts are the least episodic, but even then it's ultimately the same thing when you look at it twice. I wouldn't let this deter you though, it's genuinely great regardless and the format shouldn't have anything to do with that.
Sep 12, 2014 9:38 AM

Jan 2008
What's so bad about episodic?
Sep 12, 2014 9:43 AM

Dec 2012
Imperial_Thunder said:

It gets boring and repetitive?

Some people like to be invested on an overarching story.

I don't have that problem with Jojo, I'm just answering your question in general.
Sep 12, 2014 9:47 AM

Jul 2011
tsudecimo said:
Imperial_Thunder said:

Only if it's not done well. Something with an overarching story can just as easily become boring and repetitive. Jojo is anything and everything but boring or repetitive despite being episodic.
Sep 12, 2014 9:55 AM

Dec 2012
Kellhus said:
tsudecimo said:

Only if it's not done well. Something with an overarching story can just as easily become boring and repetitive. Jojo is anything and everything but boring or repetitive despite being episodic.

Well I'm not a fan of episodic narrative, so I'm biased when it comes to it. But I don't think Jojo did anything different with it, that makes me feel, that episodic can be an entertaining style of narrative.

But you are right, about overarching stories having the possibility of being boring and repetitive, but they are less likely to be so, than episodic and have a bigger chance of keeping the viewer's/reader's attention and interest imo.
Sep 12, 2014 11:49 AM
Oct 2009
Episodic isn't inherently bad. The problem with it here is that it's actually just executed really unintelligently. It doesn't make any of the characters more interesting, never introduces anything that you feel is worth really remembering, and of course, it's repetitive here.

Good episodic series are usually comedies, where the non-committal focus on any particular subject opens clear opportunities to expand the depth of the series via humor. Young children's series which have a more moralistic emphasis also can make good episodic series even if they have an established plot focus. JoJo of course isn't seriously a comedy or a moralistic children's show, but rather an action series with an established focus (defeating Dio). The episodic feel of Stand introductions in this way I find highly discordant.

The primary thing that redeems JoJo part 3 is decent visuals, voice acting, and ESPECIALLY a great soundtrack. Good soundtracks can make otherwise horrible action stories enjoyable.
Sep 12, 2014 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
I think it's inherently bad if the show sets itseld to have a story then pulls a "bait n switch" into episodic subplots.

Mushishi is an example of a good episodic anime. Because each episode is a whole story in and by itself.

JoJo can't hold up, each episode doesn't have the scale or ambition, or storytelling to be standalone, so being episodic feels like a chopped up, aimless arcade-like storyline.
End Zionazism
Sep 12, 2014 4:22 PM

Apr 2009
It happens sometimes.
People placing weird expectations on things of marvelous silliness, like Jojo.
Sep 13, 2014 1:18 PM

Jan 2014
This isn't episodic as every episode is tied to a continous plot. It is 'monster-of-the-week' as someone else has said.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 14, 2014 12:58 PM
Dec 2013
How long? For ever.
Sep 18, 2014 11:23 AM

Sep 2009
I too don't understand how JoJo can be this popular
It's that sort of story you know main characters not gonna get hurt and eventually all will work out for them.
Your typical shoune plot.
I'm not saying I didn't like it, but I understand people saying it's getting repetitive leaving you with a cloudy impression sometimes.
Sep 18, 2014 11:49 AM

Nov 2011
0Seru0 said:
It's that sort of story you know main characters not gonna get hurt and eventually all will work out for them.

Jojo is famous for being exactly the opposite of this. Araki isn't afraid to let characters die. Did you not watch Part 1 or 2? O_o
Sep 18, 2014 12:14 PM

Feb 2013
I prefer to live in the moment with this series. My only questions is "is this fight at all interesting?" Leave plot to the more plot heavy arcs like 6 and 7
Sep 18, 2014 1:25 PM

Jul 2013
0Seru0 said:

Wow, for a minute, I thought I read something really stupid. Good thing I'm blind now so I can't check again.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Sep 18, 2014 2:56 PM

Nov 2011
PriestJabon said:
0Seru0 said:

Wow, for a minute, I thought I read something really stupid. Good thing I'm blind now so I can't check again.

lol
Sep 22, 2014 1:41 AM

Jan 2007
RedRoseFring said:
This isn't episodic as every episode is tied to a continous plot. It is 'monster-of-the-week' as someone else has said.

Pretty much this.

I started it a few days ago and I am watching 2-3 episodes a day and I for one don't mind the monster-of-the-week format.

Bringing Mushishi in the discussion is completely unwarranted, just because they can be both considered episodic!?... Anyway Jojo focuses on the battles as the group gets closer and closer to Dio. They try do deliver creative fights each episode and so far, from what I've seen (ep 11) they succeed imo. Definitely not a format for everyone but I for one enjoy this anime for what it is.
Sep 25, 2014 7:29 AM

Jul 2014
A number of the Stand battles are really just meant to pad out Part 3.

There was an OVA that did an adaptation of Stardust Crusaders in 1990 or so that cut out just about every Stand fight aside from about eight or nine and the series still made sense.
Oct 11, 2014 10:37 AM

Sep 2009
PriestJabon said:
0Seru0 said:

Everyone who watched the anime would get that impression.
knucklehead manga readers who know what will happen and go around boasting about it are just trolling.
Oct 16, 2014 4:22 PM

Jul 2011
0Seru0 said:

Not really, Jojo is one of the most violent and unforgiving shounen series ever. If you watched the previous anime series, you should know that, and that has no bearing on whether or not you've read the manga. If you watch the second half of Stardust Crusaders you will find your comment here to be very ridiculous to say the least.
Oct 17, 2014 3:25 AM
Dec 2013
0Seru0 said:

knucklehead manga readers who know what will happen and go around boasting about it are just trolling.

Lol, aren't you fucking precious.
Oct 22, 2014 7:54 AM

Jun 2009
0Seru0 said:
PriestJabon said:

No one who watched the first season would get that impression.
Nov 8, 2014 4:49 PM

Mar 2012
Kellhus said:
0Seru0 said:

Not really, Jojo is one of the most violent and unforgiving shounen series ever. If you watched the previous anime series, you should know that, and that has no bearing on whether or not you've read the manga. If you watch the second half of Stardust Crusaders you will find your comment here to be very ridiculous to say the least.

Violent how lol?
Aside from Caesar.
End Zionazism
Nov 10, 2014 3:36 AM
Dec 2013
sd
Mikasa said:
Kellhus said:

Violent how lol?
Aside from Caesar.

Um, Jonathan's death-you know the protagonist to the first part? Or maybe Zepelli?

Man I can't wait when we get to the end of SC and eventually Stone Ocean to see how stupidly wrong some of these posts are.
Nov 10, 2014 8:16 AM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
Kellhus said:

Violent how lol?
Aside from Caesar.

The second half of Stardust Crusaders shall answer this question.

Heck, the second half of almost ANY Jojo part answers this question pretty well.

Nov 10, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2013
this show isnt episodic. it has an over arching plot.

edit: apparently unless you have fight scenes that last 15 episodes like shit long running shows do ur episodic now.
Nov 10, 2014 8:47 AM

Mar 2012
All episodic shows have "an overarching plot"

Friends has Ross x Rachel overall plot
HIMYM had Ted x whoever
Detective Conan has the whole midget thing.

Doesn't make the show less episodic.

Each episode is still its own climax, doesn't contribute much to the build up.
It's the interconnectivity of segments not the overarching plot that determines what's episodic.
End Zionazism
Nov 10, 2014 8:48 AM

Mar 2012
sjack said:
sd
Mikasa said:

Violent how lol?
Aside from Caesar.

Um, Jonathan's death-you know the protagonist to the first part? Or maybe Zepelli?

Man I can't wait when we get to the end of SC and eventually Stone Ocean to see how stupidly wrong some of these posts are.

sjack said:
sd
Mikasa said:

Violent how lol?
Aside from Caesar.

Doesn't count.

Main character dying at the end of the story. Nothing too violent about it. It was pretty cliche actually.
End Zionazism
Nov 11, 2014 8:32 AM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
sjack said:
sd

sjack said:
sd

Doesn't count.

Main character dying at the end of the story. Nothing too violent about it. It was pretty cliche actually.

1. It's not cliche in shonen.
2. He got stabbed in the neck by a giant tentacle. That's pretty violent.
3. MANY, MANY people die in Jojo's.
4. His comment was trying to say that no one is safe in Jojo's.

Nov 11, 2014 12:33 PM

Feb 2013
No one is safe in Jojo's, but c'mon guys. Some random fodder isn't going to kill anyone. Horifically maim and injure yes, but most of those injuries are brushed off quickly.
Nov 12, 2014 6:54 AM
Dec 2013
Dragonage2ftw said:
Mikasa said:

Doesn't count.

Nov 13, 2014 5:52 AM

Apr 2014
gedata said:
No one is safe in Jojo's, but c'mon guys. Some random fodder isn't going to kill anyone. Horifically maim and injure yes, but most of those injuries are brushed off quickly.

Haha!
True.

Nov 24, 2014 11:50 AM

Mar 2012
Dragonage2ftw said:
Mikasa said:

Doesn't count.

1. Cliches aren't measured by medium. An idea is an idea. and a cliche is a cliche.
2. No one is safe, yeah, giving a half episode long speech after being split in half isn't what I call a grim death.
Damn death is so polite in JoJo.
End Zionazism
Nov 25, 2014 7:23 AM
Dec 2013
Mikasa said:
Dragonage2ftw said:

2. No one is safe, yeah, giving a half episode long speech after being split in half isn't what I call a grim death.

What the fuck is even your point here? He still died. The fact that it took forever is completely irrelevant.
Nov 25, 2014 9:28 AM

Apr 2014
sjack said:
Mikasa said:

What the fuck is even your point here? He still died. The fact that it took forever is completely irrelevant.

^This.

Nov 25, 2014 12:04 PM

Mar 2012
sjack said:
Mikasa said:

Well it's sad I have to spoon feed it, but there it is:

dying is supposed to sad, and sometimes abrupt, it's final, but leaves a void in the character's place.

If the character gets to spend his entire dying moment solving everything, giving speeches, spreading awareness, and curing cancer, then that's hardly any impact of death.

Every story, no matter how tame, we still know for a fact every character's grandfather and every other human before had died. (you know, of old age and stuff). Death alone is nothing. It's the impact it leaves.

When the impact is: Get the fuck out of here already, it's not really something to be taken seriously.
End Zionazism
Nov 25, 2014 12:22 PM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
sjack said:

dying is supposed to sad, and sometimes abrupt, it's final, but leaves a void in the character's place.

If the character gets to spend his entire dying moment solving everything, giving speeches, spreading awareness, and curing cancer, then that's hardly any impact of death.

Every story, no matter how tame, we still know for a fact every character's grandfather and every other human before had died. (you know, of old age and stuff). Death alone is nothing. It's the impact it leaves.

When the impact is: Get the fuck out of here already, it's not really something to be taken seriously.

Um............

A lot of different shows/books have long monologues talking about a character that has just died.........

It really doesn't change that much of the impact.......

Also, it doesn't matter if the impact that it had was minimal. He still died. His death was still pretty dang gruesome. It still wasn't something that happens in your average, everyday shonen.

Nov 25, 2014 1:26 PM

Jul 2013
Mikasa said:

I feel like you're saying something silly like implying that happened in JoJo.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Nov 28, 2014 11:06 AM
Dec 2013
Dragonage2ftw said:
Mikasa said:

Um............

A lot of different shows/books have long monologues talking about a character that has just died.........

Also, it doesn't matter if the impact that it had was minimal. He still died. His death was still pretty dang gruesome. It still wasn't something that happens in your average, everyday shonen.

I think it's cute he's thinking he's spoon feeding me when he literally has no idea what the fuck he's talking about or has had a valid point to start from in the beginning.

It's even more cute that he's a fan of Attack on Titan where not a single one of the main characters has even come close to dying even though the show is pitched as the Game of Thrones of anime when it comes to offing its main characters (which it's not), whereas Jojo has been casually offing its main characters and protagonists since 1986. The double standard is delicious.
Nov 29, 2014 1:18 AM

Mar 2012
Dragonage2ftw said:
Mikasa said:

Um............

No, there is no show that has a character split in half talking for ten minutes and giving off speeches left and right.
And if there are any, then it just means they too went full retard.

"he still died" that makes no sense. Everyone dies. Dying in itself isn't what's impactful. I already explained why in my previous post.

And yes, it happens in your typical everyday shonen. This is actually very tame compared to other shonen. Add to that the lack of "finality" of death and them speaking cartoonishly for hours after "dying" and this becomes crap. This is as gruesome as Trafalgar Law splitting people with his devil fruit.
End Zionazism
Nov 29, 2014 1:16 PM

Feb 2013
I never really get how anyone can say ANYONE CAN DIE in Jojo based off the 1st couple of arcs. All the deaths that weren't telegraphed happen after arc 2, asides from maybe Jonathan's? Idk I already knew he was going to die since arc 3 was the 1st one I read.
gedataNov 29, 2014 1:19 PM
Dec 3, 2014 1:32 PM
Dec 2013
Mikasa said:

No, there is no show that has a character split in half talking for ten minutes and giving off speeches left and right.
And if there are any, then it just means they too went full retard.

Well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nSfIqJhf_M

Mikasa said:
"he still died" that makes no sense. Everyone dies. Dying in itself isn't what's impactful. I already explained why in my previous post.

Please...just stop. You are literally talking out of your ass now.

Mikasa said:
And yes, it happens in your typical everyday shonen. This is actually very tame compared to other shonen.

Yes, way to use examples to prove your point :/

Mikasa said:
Add to that the lack of "finality" of death and them speaking cartoonishly for hours after "dying" and this becomes crap. This is as gruesome as Trafalgar Law splitting people with his devil fruit.

Except the whole point of Law's ability is that they don't die when he uses it on them. And you keep bringing up that ONE death with the Nazi kid, while completely ignoring all the other examples we've brought to refute your baseless generalizations.

Bottom line is, you're actually completely ignorant of all the rest of the events of the series that unfold, and just how brutal it gets and at the moment, are completely talking out of your ass. I think you should stop your fucking cherry picking bullshit posts. You're points gone from "Jojo being a series that's not violent" to "nobody dies ever in Jojo". Both of these were proven wrong. So would you kindly just shut up.
Dec 5, 2014 12:10 PM

Mar 2012
Look kid, I already explained this twice, no one is cherry picking, spending half an episode of not dying takes away what death is.

And LOL@ using Naruto as a rebuttal. Congratulations, your show is that gruesome.

sjack said:

Toriko, SnK, Akame Ga Kill are all more gory than JoJo.
End Zionazism
Dec 6, 2014 8:30 AM
Dec 2013
Mikasa said:
Look kid, I already explained this twice, no one is cherry picking, spending half an episode of not dying takes away what death is.

You used ONE example, of a character that's not even particularly relevant, kid. And use you're using some roundabout methods of mental gymnastics to compensate for your ignorance

Mikasa said:
And LOL@ using Naruto as a rebuttal. Congratulations, your show is that gruesome.

It was actually LOL meant as an ironic rebuttal LOL@ your stupid question LOL

Mikasa said:

I can quite frankly and honestly tell you that they're not. Especually not SnK.
Dec 8, 2014 12:02 PM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:

sjack said:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Good one.

Oh..........

Wait.........

You were being serious..........

Yeah, because Attack on Titan is WAYYYY more gory than Jojo's, which features a man cutting sliced in half.

Getting your jaw unhinged via brutal violence? Pffftt. Get that weak crap out of here, Jojo's. Akame ga Kill is clearly WAY more gory than you'll ever be.

/all of my sarcasm.
Dragonage2ftwDec 10, 2014 8:38 AM

Dec 9, 2014 12:44 AM

Nov 2011
Dragonage2ftw said:
Kill la Kill is clearly WAY more gory than you'll ever be.

As much as I totally agree with you, he didn't say Kill la Kill. He said Akame ga Kill, which, to be fair, is pretty violent and gory. Not as much as Jojo though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2014

132 by JosVoogt21 »»
Apr 20, 6:46 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Akanezora - May 9, 2014

167 by fgowy »»
Apr 13, 11:37 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2014

159 by HilariousPerson »»
Apr 9, 8:34 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akanezora - Sep 12, 2014

276 by Will_Keisuke_ »»
Mar 27, 6:11 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2014

217 by OVERJRIVE »»
Jan 23, 5:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.