Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2014 12:26 AM

Mar 2012
The question here is, should I watch it? Is the Gundam series good? I know it's popular but that's not enough. Is Gundam at least better than Captain Earth? I'm not that much of a mecha fan btw, I've only liked 2 mecha anime so far, Break Blade and Neppuu Kairiku Bushi Road.

Thanks in advance.
Sep 11, 2014 12:28 AM

Jan 2009
watch Gundam 00 instead, this new gundam series is meant for kids viewing
if you like fast pace and mood uplifting mecha series then there is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Sep 11, 2014 2:54 AM

Mar 2012
For kids... Seriously? If so then I might don't watch it this season... I'm gonna watch the first 10 minutes of it that are out already and see if it is interesting enough to watch.

I've heard about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, well, it's kinda difficult to not hear about it when people say it is a great anime, although I don't have any intentions of watching it right now, I might give it a try in near future but not now.

EDIT: I now understand why you say it is directed at kids, I agree. It seems totally like a slow paced anime that I wouldn't like to watch... Maybe I'll give it a try to the first 2 or 3 episodes... or maybe not, depending on my free time.
b1GZZSep 11, 2014 3:04 AM
Sep 13, 2014 7:14 AM
Nov 2010
Well, even if Tomino saya "for kids", never ever trust his words.
Sep 13, 2014 7:35 AM

Nov 2008
DrGoku said:

He made an even worse admission it's not even for the kids living today, it's for their kids and grandkids.

Sep 13, 2014 7:37 AM

Nov 2012
well, gundam build fighters is for kid and its like the best gundam series out there
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 14, 2014 6:36 PM

Sep 2011
I feel like this series is potentially a trainwreck waiting to happen but im trying to remain hopeful that it wont, tomino is a really inconsistent and at times bad director so it doesnt leave me much faith in this series.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 14, 2014 7:07 PM

Aug 2010
JizzyHitler said:
I feel like this series is potentially a trainwreck waiting to happen but im trying to remain hopeful that it wont, tomino is a really inconsistent and at times bad director so it doesnt leave me much faith in this series.

Thing is, nothing Tomino has directed has been objectively bad. Xabungle and Overman King Gainer are the closest to bad the guy has ever done, and one is just redundant and boring, and the other one just has random time skips in between episodes that aren't explained where sometime plot important things hav'e happened.
And people really need to stop hating on MSG ZZ, because the only "real" flaw outside of the wonky writing for the first half that people don't like is was the fact it isn't MSG Zeta.

And to the topic of gundam. There hasn't been a objectively bad gundam series bar AGE. And the only reason why AGE flopped was because people hated the art design and the writing was rushed due to the series gimmick of new protagonist, which culminated in a clusterfak ending.
Signatures Suck
Sep 14, 2014 10:34 PM

Oct 2007
Despite being mecha Gundam isn't really comparable to Captain Earth....like at all. No mecha series is really comparable to Gundam since it's just so impossibly huge and sprawling compared to like every other anime franchise and meta at that. I've been following the franchise for over a decade now and I still routinely discover entries I've never heard of and there's always some new manga story, game or TV series like every few months. There are alternate universes in Gundam that have more lore and media produced for them than most franchises. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't really pin Gundam down to just being one thing in particular so it's hard to really recommend a specific one other than the original and just say to try it.

JizzyHitler said:

Based on what exactly? There hasn't been much that gives me that impression up front at all really. From everything I've heard Tomino seems to have an idea of exactly what he wants to do with this show.
Sep 14, 2014 10:37 PM

Mar 2008
Freshie said:
Thing is, nothing Tomino has directed has been objectively bad. Xabungle and Overman King Gainer are the closest to bad the guy has ever done, and one is just redundant and boring, and the other one just has random time skips in between episodes that aren't explained where sometime plot important things hav'e happened.
I'd disagree with those two you mentioned, but i'd say Brain Powerd probably has a good shot at being the most "objectively bad" as far as Tomino shows (that I've seen) go.
Sep 15, 2014 5:57 AM

Sep 2013
JizzyHitler said:

I don't really understand why would someone who has watched loads of Tomino Gundam and generally liked them fear for its return. It can't get worse from here.

Rather, hope for the best and enjoy your hype.
Sep 15, 2014 6:06 AM

Jun 2014
j0x said:
watch Gundam 00 instead, this new gundam series is meant for kids viewing
if you like fast pace and mood uplifting mecha series then there is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

yeah, if your looking into gundam, try 00 first. It was the most emotional and memorable one for me. After that you can watch all the series thats tied to the UC.
Sep 16, 2014 6:01 AM

Sep 2012
DrGoku said:

Yeah and also a lovable character is on the line. It's up to tomino if he want to kill that character or let it stay on the show. Can't wait to see that.

Sep 18, 2014 4:40 PM

Aug 2010
mugi said:
Freshie said:
[
Thing is, nothing Tomino has directed has been objectively bad.

Garzey's Wing, and "objectively" there's actually more.
Ckan said:

Well, technically you have Brain Powered, Umi no Triton, Rean no Tsubasa and Juusenki L-Gaim. I can't comment on Umi no Triton since I don't think its been subbed by anyone, nor would ask someone to do so.
Rean no Tsubasa is a bloody joke considering its a 6 episode ONA with length of 24 minutes long. Unless its from a franchise with well prior established characters, that format is almost always bound to be garbage.
Garzey's Wing was made out of Tomino's depression post Victory Gundam, and it's so bad compared to his other directorial works. Brain Powered suffers from the same problem but if I recalled correctly, it have problems with executive meddling.
Freshie said:
I'd disagree with those two you mentioned, but i'd say Brain Powerd probably has a good shot at being the most "objectively bad" as far as Tomino shows (that I've seen) go.

To each their own.
Signatures Suck
Sep 20, 2014 6:27 PM

Sep 2011
cupc said:
JizzyHitler said:

I don't really understand why would someone who has watched loads of Tomino Gundam and generally liked them fear for its return. It can't get worse from here.

Rather, hope for the best and enjoy your hype.
cause zambot 3 is a show by him and is running for one of the worst shows ive ever seen, that and generally even though i like his works all of them are very fustrating in different aspects, i think the least fustrating one iv seen has got o be 079 which i appreciated more and more in hind site while almost every other entry decreased in my mind upon recolation. Iv said it before a million times but i think tomino comes up with incredible ideas but rarely ever executes them properly, and when he does do them right he has negative surrounding it that devalue the good.

Believe me i want G reco to be good, i love how the story and world sound, the art is very appealing to me as well. Its just i have so many conflicting thoughts that can almost be summed up verbatem as "remember that time tomino fucked up XXXXX". When the time comes to actually watch it ill throw away all my expectations and worries and judge it based off its own merrits, but for now my hype is matched by my worry.
JizzyHitlerSep 20, 2014 6:34 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 4, 2014 6:50 AM

Feb 2012
b1GZZ said:
The question here is, should I watch it? Is the Gundam series good? I know it's popular but that's not enough. Is Gundam at least better than Captain Earth? I'm not that much of a mecha fan btw, I've only liked 2 mecha anime so far, Break Blade and Neppuu Kairiku Bushi Road.

Thanks in advance.
Watch 0079 first, it's the beginning of the UC story and most Gundam series (save for G and Build Fighters) draw inspiration for it.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2014

153 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jan 20, 6:28 PM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

91 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 2:49 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

29 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 2:17 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2015

26 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 1:45 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2015

22 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.