Forum Settings
Forums

do the comments and approval of mal users affects your decision on what fansub to download your anime?

Poll: do the comments and approval of mal users affects your decision on what fansub to download your anime?

Oct 26, 2009 7:04 PM

is it that reliable?
because some anime has a very low count of votes on the added fansub groups on it... so i am having a hard time choosing which one is better...

for example

fansub A has 45 out 60 approvals
~12 good comments
~but 8 bad comments (little grammar errors, and little translation errors)

fansub B has 26 out of 26 approvals
~17 good comments!
~NO bad comments!

which one is better now? :-/

Oct 26, 2009 7:06 PM

I would go for fansub B. statistically speaking. 26 of 26 is great.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)

Oct 26, 2009 7:06 PM

In a different sense. It it has more comments, even if some are bad, it means more people watched it, meaning it should have more seeders.

But usually I only check the fansubs listed at MAL when I can't find a place to download at first.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori

Oct 26, 2009 7:07 PM

whichever fansub is first to release usually wins

Oct 26, 2009 7:49 PM

There really in no point in being picky with speed subs, They do it for free, they do it fast and I yet to see any speed subs that I thought where unwatchable. But yea fuck the groups who take forever, do a shitty job and have low quality.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.

Oct 26, 2009 9:27 PM

What effects my choice in which fansubber I download from is format(I prefer.avi ), whether or not it is a tv or dvd version(dvd versions are sometimes uncensored), and who has all the episodes in that season or series finished first( I usually wait until a series has finished being subbed before watching it).

Now I do hate it when they sometimes take a couple of years to sub a series( I realize that sometimes they have a really busy life) or when they feel that not only do they have to do the tv series but also a dvd version and a blue ray version when there are probably tons of other anime that has yet to be subbed.
Modified by ezikialrage, Oct 26, 2009 9:30 PM

Oct 26, 2009 9:32 PM

I buy DVDs. O.o

My Top 20

Oct 26, 2009 9:43 PM

I also look at the ratings for each fansubber too. ^_^! But it has gotten to the point now where I already know quite a few, and have some that I prefer to download from.

Oct 27, 2009 12:42 AM

No. I'd just view the subs for myself and decide if they're good or not.

Oct 27, 2009 1:08 AM

I have faith in statistics so
angelfire892 said:
I would go for fansub B. statistically speaking. 26 of 26 is great.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...

Oct 27, 2009 1:16 AM

The ratings are a decent broad indicator, but in some cases you can see popularity and/or speed win over actual quality. In fact some people downvote good groups just because their releases are slower than others. So, basically, you can't trust other people's judgement. You need to evaluate things and make your own.

Oct 27, 2009 1:17 AM

It depends.

For example, comparing Black Order Fansub & Shinsen-Subs for subbing D.Gray Man, I would first look at how many approval does both of these fansubs have, and then look at the comments. If its something like...

Black Order Fansubs - 172 of 182 users approve

One of the good comment : Really good quality and good translation.
Bad comment : Not as good as Shinsen-subs in both speed and quality.

I'll still accept this. Speed is not the problem. IMO I'll rather watch an anime with GOOD translation instead of Oh-What-A-Fast-Release when there are full of errors in the subtitles.

As for Shinsen-subs, 222 of 264 users approve (wow it has more users than BlackOrder) when i watch this fansub's, they translated almost all the Japanese to english words. even Akuma. I find it really weird when i read it.
So IMO -- Black Order > Shinsen.

Oh, most of the time i read the Bad comments only. I don't really trust what the users said in the good comments anyway.

Oct 27, 2009 1:17 AM

I don't care what people say, I love Chihiro subs.

Oct 27, 2009 1:51 AM

Since I try and avoid the airing anime, speed isn't an issue, so I try to stick to the groups I'm familiar with. TBH, no group has done a bad job yet. I don't even glance at the ratings :D

Oct 27, 2009 2:12 AM

I'm quite into watching anime that's airing at the moment, and i tend to go with groups that i've heard of before, or downloaded some of their other subs. When groups that i don't know are subbing a series, i tend to download the version that comes out quickest and check that out in comparison to the next one and decide based on the quality of subs.

Oct 27, 2009 3:36 AM

Nah, I will just take them for reference but I still believe in my own instincts =p

Oct 27, 2009 4:21 AM

i watch my anime online

Oct 27, 2009 4:46 AM

I go for groups I'm familiar with, those whose releases I think are speedy and of high quality. I tend to avoid groups I've never heard of unless their ratings are good.

Oct 27, 2009 5:08 AM

I never pay attention to the comments/approvals of fansubbers. Didn't even know that existed until this week lol :9 Maybe it can be useful sometimes for reference, but your own opinion counts the most right ^.^

Oct 27, 2009 10:42 PM

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON!
because most of the comments are troll, its getting harder to pick which one is better..
my internet is slow so i need to know what is good in terms of translation/timing and etc. (to be exact the subs itself)

Oct 27, 2009 11:20 PM

angelcross37 said:
[url=http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON!]http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON
because most of the comments are troll, its getting harder to pick which one is better..
my internet is slow so i need to know what is good in terms of translation/timing and etc. (to be exact the subs itself)

How is it hard to see Frostii is clearly the superior choice (with their BD rips, at any rate) in that case? The BD rips aren't complete yet but they definitely are the best.

Oct 28, 2009 5:44 AM

yep, i always check & read negative comments.

if each episode is 300+ mbs, i want to get it right the first time.

Oct 28, 2009 8:03 AM

Check with MAL users? No, I don't look there. The sites that have comments on their torrents are the ones I read. Certainly, a number of fansubbers have already built a reputation so I don't hesitate getting them when they're available. I try not to watch airing shows so speed is not an issue for me.

Oct 28, 2009 8:07 AM

If I'm going to start watching a series and I don't recognise any of the subbers, then yes, I will look at the comments and votes to help myself decide. If a show is being subbed by a group I've watched before and been satisfied with, I don't tend to look.

It isn't the number of votes that will swing things one way or the other for me, it is the actual comments. By reading them I can get a good idea of what people liked/disliked and see which looks like it would work for me... and ignore the troll votes against certain groups.
Most of the time, that has served me quite well.
I guess that sort of makes my tendency to rate them without writing any comments a bad thing though ^^;

Oct 28, 2009 10:59 AM

I actually started looking on MAL at the fansubbers as well as adding my rating to it. I pick the highest rated fansubber for the first episode and after that, I try other ones for the following episodes. A few episodes in I know which subber I want to stick with.

Oct 28, 2009 12:33 PM

Have never glanced at MALs sub ratings beforehand, i just grab whatever subs i can get, I haven't had a single problem with any of the fansub groups i've used, and i haven't favored one over another at all. Usually look for higher quality video/audio ect when downloading.
Modified by brinan, Oct 28, 2009 3:00 PM

Oct 28, 2009 7:00 PM

Over time, I've learned that the majority of MAL has bad taste, so I look through the group's comments, to see how they sub. If I see what I like, then I go get their subs. Also, "GUD TRANSLASHUN N AWSM TIPESETNIG" doesn't mean anything.

Oct 28, 2009 7:05 PM

i go to anidb.net to check the groups and comments on them, in the end i usually go with the groups that have good accuracy in translation and without the extra eye candy added to the subs.

Oct 28, 2009 11:40 PM
me i start with fansub regardless of group that produces them, as dvd or blue ray becomes available i buy it...

i check several forums to see what people are watching then download a few episodes to see how good or bad a series is...
Modified by takfuji200, Oct 28, 2009 11:44 PM

Oct 29, 2009 1:02 AM
As long as the subs aren't horribly bad I don't mind which I watch
]

Oct 29, 2009 4:06 PM

I just check who subs it so I can find a download.

Oct 29, 2009 6:50 PM

Sometimes, usually of it has been praised highly or if it's supposed to be extremely bad. Usually I care more if the story interests me.

Oct 29, 2009 11:39 PM

Asako said:
angelcross37 said:
[url=http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON!]http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON

How is it hard to see Frostii is clearly the superior choice (with their BD rips, at any rate) in that case? The BD rips aren't complete yet but they definitely are the best.
Unless you're looking for SD, in which case you're stuck with Frostii's 4:3 TV-rips or some other group.

I do pay some attention to the ratings and comments, but they have 2 problems: 1) they're anonymous, which increases the chance of trolling and eliminates the possibility of finding users whose opinions I respect, and 2) they're too short, which eliminates the possibility of detailed analysis and comparisons. Ratings aren't as important, since negative ratings can still be favorable to one's tastes, depending on the comments. For instance, if I read a negative comment saying "This group's subtitles aren't literal translations, they Americanize things too much and change things around to read better in English," I know that's a release I'm going to like. Same if they say "subtitles too big, they stand out too much," that way I know I'm not getting the typical fansub too-small blending-into-background subtitles.

But mainly, I look for SD releases from groups I know and trust; usually there's not more than 1 release for a given series that meet those criteria.
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Oct 30, 2009 12:04 AM

Usually I just go for the group at the top, but I rarely read the comments because they're mainly populated by people like myself that make silly troll comments.

Oct 30, 2009 8:23 AM

I usually download the first episode from every group I can find and decide for myself.

After all, whats important to me may not be the same as what as is important to others.

Too many of the reviews I read have comments that are focused on things I don't care that much about. For example, I just don't care if a group leaves certain words untranslated or not. For me, the most important thing is do the subs bring you into the anime or pull you out of it.