Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2014 7:25 PM

May 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
More of what happened in the past. That was sad. Doflamingo basically set everything up so that the king will be hated by the people and that Doflamingo will look like a good guy when he beat the king up after all of that.
Sep 6, 2014 7:45 PM
Aug 2014
Nice to see more on Dressrosa's past and Doflamingo's nefarious activities. Looking forward to hearing more about those kinds of things. Love Franky's cry :p
Sep 6, 2014 8:03 PM

Jun 2014
The Dressrosa flashbacks were too long and the part with Usopp, Robin, and Franky was boring
2 gud 4 u
Sep 6, 2014 8:19 PM

Aug 2013
I liked the flashback... not liking Violet at all... UGH

AND I JUST KNOW SHES GONNA BE A STRAW HAT... she has that type of story that lands her in it. fuck
Sep 6, 2014 8:22 PM
Custom Title

Jul 2009
How close is the anime to the manga?
Sep 6, 2014 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
Doflamingo is such a bastard! I'm starting to like him a lot.
Sep 6, 2014 9:18 PM

May 2012
love that 2nd half where Robin is angry at dofla and her shock face..

Ferolex said:

AND I JUST KNOW SHES GONNA BE A STRAW HAT... she has that type of story that lands her in it. fuck
dont think so, its too weak if you compare to Rebecca..

Sep 6, 2014 9:47 PM

Jan 2014
Thank God for Doflamingo! He saved Dressrosa from that blood-thirsty King Riku. Now, if only he could deal with that toy problem.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 6, 2014 9:54 PM

Oct 2008
Pretty slow episode, too much of running around soldiers killing people.
Sep 6, 2014 10:35 PM

Jul 2013
This episode showed that Doffy's really powerful and terrifying.. damn attaching strings to live people and controlling them like puppets not to mention he can also attach his damn strings to clouds and fly he also cut that giant's leg in the marineford arc with that string. BUT he's afraid of Kaido.. just imagine how strong that bastard could be
Sep 6, 2014 10:54 PM

Apr 2014
It could just be me but the animation looked much better. Still a slow episode but it seems to be picking up a little bit, at least to me.
Sep 6, 2014 11:50 PM

Nov 2012
Doflamingo's plan was really clever. The pacing was a bit slow during the flashback, but it was an ok episode.
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Sep 7, 2014 12:31 AM

Jan 2014
Loved this episode, my hatred for Doflamingo has grown. Such a great villain, not cliche at all :D !!!
Sep 7, 2014 1:27 AM

Jul 2008
This is where Crocodile's plan came from it seems. That flashback was pretty brutal for One Piece standards. But holy crap those shock faces!

However if Luffy is here then that means we get that fight next week.
Sep 7, 2014 1:37 AM

Mar 2012
A very common strategy used by strong countries to invade weaker ones. First, find a way to create internal disorder by using "the strings" to manipulate some leaders inside. Then invade the country by the excuse of bringing democracy. The people will welcome you even if you are a "pirate" because of being unaware of these events behind.

I love how One Piece pictures real world politics in its long term story.
AhmedHanSep 7, 2014 1:46 AM
Sep 7, 2014 1:42 AM

Sep 2011
RedRoseFring said:
Thank God for Doflamingo! He saved Dressrosa from that blood-thirsty King Riku. Now, if only he could deal with that toy problem.
Lol. Can't tell if serious or not.
TyrelSep 7, 2014 1:55 AM
Sep 7, 2014 1:57 AM

Dec 2012
This was a pleasant surprise - I was expecting an entire episode of flashback, but we actually got a little progression in the present, too.

The flashback was okay, and helped hype Doflamingo up for me a bit. Robin, Usopp and Franky's faces when apologising for the Doflamingo false throne abdication was amusing.

Luffy meeting Zoro means that the arc should start picking up around now. We should be seeing a certain nice boat within a couple of episodes.
Sep 7, 2014 4:32 AM
Oct 2013
do you mean THAT boat? Already? I was hoping they'd give us 22 minutes of the events that are about to take place in the colosseum.
Sep 7, 2014 7:31 AM
Jul 2013
" Hey, Hey! Can we do it already, Doffy?"
I like Trebol's voice, they did a good job with him and Doffla

One Piece never disappoints in flashbacks, and these two episode proved that to be right, they really were enjoyable and fun to watch, made me care for Riku and the tribe a little bit more than I did in manga. Perfect job, animation was on a high quality level and I would like for TOEI to keep it up, with this pace
Sep 7, 2014 7:51 AM
Oct 2012
Toei's pacing has really turned to sh*t..
This episode and the last one could've easily
and more efficiently been just one episode,.
Was there any point in making the flash-back
two episodes?
I understand that the anime is catching up, but
the pacing has been toooo slow..
Sep 7, 2014 9:16 AM

Aug 2014
WolfWood37 said:
However if Luffy is here then that means we get that fight next week.

I don't think so.

Viola-hime~

Zapredon said:

doubt many fans will be surprised about that since it was already shown in 3d2y special. I read the latest chapters, and yes, that chapter should be adapted by then. Because If it doesn't, I'm gonna lose all faith in TOEI for delaying it! :"D
Shiroyume36Sep 7, 2014 9:26 AM
Sep 7, 2014 9:23 AM
Dec 2010
Much like last week's episode, OP now makes me want to want to see Doflamingo viciously tortured for at least 1 minute in each of the show's remaining 500+ episodes.

Which of course means he will continue to wreak havoc for the next 300+ episodes without anyone getting any payback on him.
Sep 7, 2014 12:22 PM

Mar 2012

How the heck is she holding her cigarrete?? lol
Sep 7, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2014
I really wish Oda can go Super Sayian and make like 100 chapters a day so the anime would go a bit faster.

Donflamingo is smart, but I still want to see him get hit by a Gomu Gomu no Elephant Gatiling Gun by Luffy for a whole episode
Sep 7, 2014 2:39 PM
May 2014
What is the soundtrack that plays when Pica, Trebol, and Diamante show up?
Sep 7, 2014 3:23 PM

Apr 2009
Laraid said:

about same as it was before lol there going so slow

Westuffyme said:
" Hey, Hey! Can we do it already, Doffy?"
I like Trebol's voice, they did a good job with him and Doffla

One Piece never disappoints in flashbacks, and these two episode proved that to be right, they really were enjoyable and fun to watch, made me care for Riku and the tribe a little bit more than I did in manga. Perfect job, animation was on a high quality level and I would like for TOEI to keep it up, with this pace

atleast someone likes them on animefreak there hated lol
Sep 7, 2014 3:25 PM

Apr 2009
Grantnarg said:

thats good animation for one piece standards
Sep 7, 2014 4:04 PM

Jan 2014
Grantnarg said:

The power of art.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 7, 2014 5:02 PM

Dec 2012
When that guard mentioned "Viola" I already knew it was Violet.
Sep 7, 2014 5:33 PM
Aug 2011
This is why I watch in batches or else I would turn into an excessive whiny bitch like the rest of you.
Sep 7, 2014 6:46 PM

Aug 2014
Nice to learn more about what happened in Dressrosa.
Doflamingo being a tacky basterd, as usual.
Bit of a slow episode, enjoyable nonetheless

But Feck...
Am I the only one who enjoyed seeing Motet again??
GLORIA FORTIS MILES
Sep 8, 2014 12:56 PM

Dec 2012
Ferolex said:

Vivi didn't join the crew, I doubt Violet will
Sep 8, 2014 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
Loved these parts:

Sep 8, 2014 3:49 PM

May 2013
Doflamingo is such a horrible, evil person.

I feel so sorry for King Riku, he must've felt devastated after what happened, so much stress that he'd end up killing himself.

I can't wait till the Don Quixote family is destroyed :)
Sep 8, 2014 4:26 PM

Jun 2014
Ferolex said:

I don't think that she will. I think that she'll most likely be like Vivi and just return to her position as princess. I think Kin'emon or Rebecca have a better chance
2 gud 4 u
Sep 9, 2014 3:48 PM
Jan 2012
Laraid said:

the manga is 31 chapters ahead, but they are animating 1 chapter per episode
MatijaxDSep 9, 2014 3:52 PM
Sep 10, 2014 2:26 AM

Apr 2014
parfaited said:
This is why I watch in batches or else I would turn into an excessive whiny bitch like the rest of you.

lol, this is so true.
Sep 13, 2014 6:17 PM

Aug 2014
Robin's reaction is priceless xD
Sep 14, 2014 8:56 AM

Mar 2010
I wanted the fights to be over in the coliseum.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 30, 2014 11:28 AM

Oct 2009
Woah its like Toei actually gave a fuck this episode! The animation during the flashback was pretty good, pacing and especially loving the new OST! Best episode in a while!
Jan 2, 2015 2:08 PM

Mar 2012
Flamingo sure knows how to traumatize someone lol.
Jun 4, 2015 5:16 AM

Apr 2009
So Viola is Violet now, Sanji doesn't know she was fooling around with a princess! LOL So Scarlet, Rebecca's mom might have been Viola's sister or sister-in-law (which makes the toy soldier, a prince?). Hmmm...
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 23, 2015 7:50 PM

Jun 2015
pretty good ep. next up
Jun 22, 2016 3:29 AM

Jan 2015
A great episode :3
So sad for King Riku, he didn't deserve what he just experienced :'3
Doflamingo one of the current top Villains that's incredibly strong and can scheme, perhaps better than Crocodile :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Aug 6, 2016 2:09 AM

Mar 2015
The quality of the episode content is getting better now, more reveals and now we know why things are the way they are.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 14, 2016 2:11 AM

May 2013
asdafasd said:
Ferolex said:

I don't think that she will. I think that she'll most likely be like Vivi and just return to her position as princess. I think Kin'emon or Rebecca have a better chance

I don't think so either lulz
I'm actually rooting for Bart to join da crew, but he doesn't have a tragic backstory drop released yet lol xP
Feb 23, 2017 2:11 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Contiues the sad flashback ; _ ; Violet is Viola, the daughter of the King!!! O _ O
May 2, 2017 2:58 AM

May 2014
I still cannot believe that Violet is the King's daughter!!!
That's gotta be one of the most surprising things so far this arc...I mean, doesn't that make her the heir to the throne? And the poor girl's stuck having to lick Doffy's boots...

Loved the bit with Robin silently seething though XD

So Soldier-san and the Tontatta tribe are planning to use the people who have been turned into toys to create a rebellion- that way they can revolutionize the country.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2018 1:50 PM

Oct 2016
That flashback is way too similar to Crocodile's plan for taking over Alabasta for me to actually care... I mean, it is indeed very sad and traumatic and all, but I really wish Oda would've been more creative with Doflamingo's master plan, instead of reharshing an old plot.

I feel the overall plot quality fading since the timeskip, and it's very discouraging to keep binging like this... Just hope they can bring something different, original and actually good to this arc ahead, since there's an colossal number of episodes left to conclude this story and it simply cannot just be another go there-beat bad guy situation AGAIN.
Dec 27, 2019 2:19 PM

Jun 2016
This episode was the peak of what the One Piece anime can be. The music and art direction were phenomenal and enhanced what was going on to such a degree I felt I was going to throw up. The blood red color scheme, suited due to the fire and the sheer brutality of what was going on, only doused everything in shadow, and the orange of the fire reflecting off the knights made them look like creatures of hell. But, we know they’re not, we can understand the pain of Riku as he cries, wishing someone would kill him and warping into his mind to see that everything he built was being trampled on, literally contrasting the dark red with the beautiful dream-like oversaturated nature of those flashbacks. We could understand the shock and horror of the people, we saw children with their parents slaughtered in front of them, grieving wives or husbands, a man holding his presumably dead child and cursing the king. We even got a monologue of the distrust the people felt after giving everything they had to him. They were robbed blind and slaughtered. I completely understand why they would hate their king so much, how could you ever accept something like this or even show doubt when you were on the receiving end?

When the Doflamingo theme cut in and he “saved the day” only after waiting just long enough for people to suffer so their hatred would be realized and undeniable, I was blown away. We saw how much went into this, he had Monet on the inside as a maid. He had Vergo to stop any help from coming to them. It was such a clean plan to perpetrate such a putrid act. Even as he faced the citizens, he manipulated Riku with his fingers behind his back to fly in and finish off the “villain”. He made sure, as pirates, the citizens had an enemy so bad that they would see them as saviors. That kind of gaslighting is exactly what his lad Caesar did but getting such a first hand account of the horror both the citizens and soldiers went through made this one especially hard to stomach. It reminded me of Ohara, which to be fair is why I think Robin may be “so mad”. She personally knows the weight that this kind of genocide carries. She’s felt it.

The song choice “the individual fights” when the soldier spoke about all those that have carried that weight with them, the soldiers; be it as guards or toys, king Riku, or Violet, it helped sell just how much they suffered. There’s a sadness to that song as well as a sense of scale, as to address their horrors and get ready to fight. To put an end to all of this. And while up until now I liked Doflamingo for what he brought to the series, I didn’t personally feel something akin to what some past villains have done to me. Now I’m with Robin and Franky, I want to strangle this son of a bitch. How can one can do such a heinous act, play a puppet master that ruins everyone’s life on both sides of the game, and do it gleefully? His past, his blood, his Don Quixote family, they're all interesting, but his mentality is the most. If he thinks humanity is cruel deep down, where did he learn that truth? I suppose his celestial dragon family would help with that. And regardless if that's true, that kind of truth he believes could justify why he's able to behave as he does. "It's what anyone would do if they had the means to."

Something I wanted to say before was that Law seems to have left Doffy 13 years ago if I have that right. This massacre happening 10 years ago and being shown how it occured may prove to us that Law was not involved with it first hand. Secondly, I regret doubting Violet. She’s had one hard life, she’s one of Riku’s daughters and Sanji saw through her facade, he saw her pain. I take it Riku had two daughters and both lived quite different lives. The read I get is that Rebecca’s mom chose a humble life, she didn’t live in the castle, she lived in a small house, and I think she married a common man. She feels estranged in a way, she was away from the town until she stumbled upon the tragedy. Violet was seen in the castle and felt a fair bit more noble to me, as if she lived a life you would expect from the daughter of a king. Regardless, this explains exactly why she attacked the projection of Rebecca as people were insulting her. She knows some of the truth and Rebecca is family. Speaking of Rebecca, I didn’t care for the people insulting her until this moment, but after the flashback cut to her it hit me just how awful their words truly are.

To speak about Doffy’s crew, Monet and Vergo were there from the beginning, before Doflamingo took the throne. It gives them some more history. And it seemed to me the little girl on his crew didn’t age over the last 10 years. The little boy seemed to but not her. That said, I haven’t seen her much so I could be wrong there. Also, there’s something poetic about turning everything Doffy created on him, the toys, guards, gladiators and such as that’s what he did to Riku.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» One Piece should be a bi-weekly release

Zeverinsen - Aug 8, 2019

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 941 Discussion ( 1 2 )

alphazero4um - Sep 12, 2020

69 by Yubisoft »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion

phantom346 - Apr 14

11 by ThaTOnEGuY4_ »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Oct 8, 2009

51 by Avsar_Gazozu »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 151 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 11, 2009

94 by kejora »»
Today, 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.