Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you agree with my brother's assessment of Ping Pong: The Animation?
Sep 6, 2014 5:23 PM

Jun 2011
My brother, who is twenty-one years old, describes "Ping Pong: The Animation" as follows:

"It is just more artsy, hipster shit that tries so hard to be different that it forgets to be anything else but 'muh pingpong'."

"It's as if the director said, 'Look at how many colours we have. Are you confused yet? Good.'"

What say you, MAL? Do you agree or disagree? Keep in mind that he did indeed watch the show from beginning to end.

Anyone who has seen my profile page or browsed my anime list will know that I wholeheartedly love this series, and I do not agree with my brother's asinine opinion. It was a much needed breath of fresh air for the anime industry as a whole, and one of the most enjoyable series I've watched in a long time.
Reaper71Sep 21, 2014 6:50 AM
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Sep 7, 2014 3:31 AM

Apr 2013
People have their own opinions, let your bro think what he wants to think, because in my heart, it will always be a masterpiece.
Sep 20, 2014 8:30 PM

Sep 2014
Can't people ever just give yes/no poll options?

I disagree with him, but no, I don't think he's a filthy pleb. Maybe he's never been an athlete and can't relate to the story. I think the anime's more about how different people handle failure than it is about ping pong
Sep 20, 2014 8:37 PM

Oct 2012
people who act like anything untraditional or different is pretentious are, from my experience, boring, pompous and stupid. thats the kind of person your brother sounds like to me.

i dont care if anyone dislikes this show, or has legit reasons to critisize it. to each his own. but using "artsy" or "hipster" as an insult makes you sound like a jack ass.
Sep 21, 2014 6:49 AM

Jun 2011
notsomacho said:
Can't people ever just give yes/no poll options?

I disagree with him, but no, I don't think he's a filthy pleb. Maybe he's never been an athlete and can't relate to the story. I think the anime's more about how different people handle failure than it is about ping pong

Noted; I'll edit the poll options to make them less descriptive.

Sep 24, 2014 3:16 PM
Jan 2012
Considering you're quite the novice, i'll assume your brother is even more weeaboo.

So i'll ask this simple question: why would you care about his opinion?
Sep 24, 2014 10:52 PM

Mar 2013
Ayaros said:
Someone that dropped over 300 anime doesn't even worthy of calling other people as novice. Just shut up and watch other entertainment. On an side note, weeaboo are also meant for others that like anything related to Japan in any sort of way. We are all weeaboo here, including you. God, I hate that word but people just can't stopped using it. I'm using it just to give a reflection of yourselves.

Concerning the original discussion, your brother, Reaper71, has his own opinion. Let him think that way if that is what he desired.

EDIT: Forget that. if I were you, I kill him, real good. But please don't. That's just me.
Sep 28, 2014 11:11 AM

Jun 2011
Ayaros said:
Considering you're quite the novice, i'll assume your brother is even more weeaboo.

So i'll ask this simple question: why would you care about his opinion?

Well, whenever I talk about the show, he always bashes it, and it gets on my nerves JUST a little. I want to get through to him and show him why it's really so good, but I can't, so I made this topic. He generally listens to people who aren't me.

Sep 28, 2014 11:18 AM

May 2013
He can go suck on an egg.
Oct 3, 2014 7:16 AM

Mar 2013
Well who cares what he thinks, as long as you yourself enjoyed the show, that's all that matters. His loss for failing to see one of the best anime in recent years.
Oct 5, 2014 9:39 PM

Sep 2011
yeah cause people dont love this show cause of its intricate and well developed cast of characters, great pacing and showcase of honest to god human emotion that borders on impossible not to realate to. The art style is just yusasa's insanity in visible form, and i fucking love it.
JizzyHitlerOct 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 6, 2014 6:28 AM

Feb 2010
Afezeria said:
Ayaros said:
Someone that dropped over 300 anime doesn't even worthy of calling other people as novice. Just shut up and watch other entertainment. On an side note, weeaboo are also meant for others that like anything related to Japan in any sort of way. We are all weeaboo here, including you. God, I hate that word but people just can't stopped using it. I'm using it just to give a reflection of yourselves.

Concerning the original discussion, your brother, Reaper71, has his own opinion. Let him think that way if that is what he desired.

Weaboo also implied that people in the East has to be, for some unknown reasons, more receptive to Western Entertainment over Japanese ones. That subtle imperialistic conditioning from America.
Oct 7, 2014 5:53 PM

Oct 2013
Yuuasa was only being faithful to Matsumoto's arstyle it also seems like he doesn't have any legit reasons to critizise it
Oct 8, 2014 6:30 PM

Jul 2012
He must have not understood the story. It's not even confusing lul
Jan 30, 2018 12:32 AM
Oct 2017
Agree with your brother.. if you re not a really anime lover, i think you will drop watching this show.. i finished it tho
May 3, 2018 12:14 AM
Sep 2017
Why do I feel your brother would have enjoyed Ping Pong a lot more if he didn't know Yuasa had directed it
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
May 3, 2018 1:21 AM

Mar 2017
Didn't watch the show because I just can't see any reason for me to watch people play ping-pong in anime no matter how great people say the show is ( I personally would not enjoy). I would rather watch something realistic in real-life, like an actual ping-pong match. I wouldn't judge it though, I mean I am sure the art and stuff is cool and I would appreciate that in itself if only that. To have no appreciation and just call it hipster-crap is a bit judgemental of your brother.
My Links

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
May 3, 2018 1:23 AM

Aug 2017
yeah i agree ping pong is just a troll dude look at the art ahahaha´! XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2018 1:46 AM

Nov 2015
Spuz said:
Didn't watch the show because I just can't see any reason for me to watch people play ping-pong in anime no matter how great people say the show is ( I personally would not enjoy). I would rather watch something realistic in real-life, like an actual ping-pong match. I wouldn't judge it though, I mean I am sure the art and stuff is cool and I would appreciate that in itself if only that. To have no appreciation and just call it hipster-crap is a bit judgemental of your brother.

sport anime hardly got anything alike to actual match, usually about friendship and their experience, stuff like that, some tries to do something more and got story(like the one discussed anime).
If you never gave sport anime a try you might as well try... I mean actual show about a sport and watching real life game is completely different matters.
As well isn't it usually that if you enjoy real life sport, then show about it gets you more excited?

PS: Ro kyu bu best sport anime
Aug 3, 2019 10:57 AM

Jun 2017
Your brother might suffer from brain defects or worse - shit taste
Aug 25, 2019 8:28 AM
Jan 2014
To me, this show is objectively good. Not everything is perfect or perfectly mastered with its many visual or narrative experimentations, but it's still very well done. The story, the characters, the themes, the visuals, all try to explore new things in a new way. It does not try to be anything but just itself. So, calling it lame would be weird in my opinion. I can't see any objective reason to call this series that. I can't see any objective reason to say the show failed to deliver what it intended. It's a huge succes, probably.

Although, that being said, i can't say i loved it so much. It is because i could not bring myself to like the characters, was not interested in the story and got headaches with the visuals. I was just in a hurry to finish it. But the reason i did not like it that much was not because it was crap. It is just personal tastes. And i'm not one who hesitate to call series crap when thorough analysis allows me to understand how and why they failed. There are many series i will clearly call huge pieces of crap without hesitation. Just... this one definitely is not. Even while anylizing the whole thing methodically, i can't see any reason to say "Ping Pong the Animation" is a failure. It's definitely not.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2014

164 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 12:49 AM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.