Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 3, 2014 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, we get more back story this episode with Rin. Even as a kid, Sousuke seems to have this intimidating presence towards his teammates. I admire Sousuke's training efforts though. That's a lot of time he put into that..

The swimming comp was pretty fast. It was a great way to see Sousuke try in this race! That was pretty close imo.
Sep 3, 2014 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
Everyone's too high level for the main group.

Even if he wants to hide the truth about his shoulder, the red hair guy eventually found out. Then the story about how he got hurt and about being scouted is not true. He got hurt from training too much just to chase him. He almost gave up but that relay with the main group then was the reason he continued despite his shoulder. So he was not a threat to the main guy, but just frustrated about himself. Main guy overheard it, as well as the rest of team.

Both teams are being serious now. That was a heated up relay. Main guy is faster than red hair guy (though it might be few seconds difference)? At least the new guy saw the vision?

Firework and moving on next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 3, 2014 9:34 AM

Dec 2011
Oh my god, I don't know why do I find this episode so emotional, but I cried. So. Damn. Much.
And last week after watching episode I thought that Rin would cry in this week's episode and surprise surprise.
But still, great episode. Yamazaki :<
Can't wait for next week, especially for Haru's and Sousuke's encounter.

Nov 2012
didn't really care that much about that sousuke drama but whatever, the relay was intense! and iwatobi won!~

wonder what the remaining 3 episodes will be about.. guess they will continue the whole question of what the guys want to do in the future.
omg, only 3 weeks left! ;_;

Apr 2014
The preview made me hurt my arm >A>
Makoto is probably just going to talk about what he wants to do but still...This fanservice is too much for me...always makes my heart stop...

Episode was nice, Sousuke drama, Rin being a crybaby again and a wonderful medley ralley which was finally won by the iwatobi guys! =D

爆ぜろリアル!
弾けろシナプス!
バニッシュメント・ディス・ワールド !

Sep 3, 2014 9:36 AM
Jul 2013
Best and most heart warming episode so far! 6/5

My favourite character is quitting swimming, I dont want him too. Sousuke!
Yes! I knew he lied about being scouted but I sooooo understand why he didn't tell Rin, lol I was crying before he even said it "I knew you would cry" T_T
Argh! His story really got to me, I get why he carried on swimming even after he hurt his shoulder but all that training, I mean, he could have let it rest a bit and carried with physiotherapy but no, he just had to make it worse.

And Rin I guess its only his dream now - I feel bad for him. I'm not sure what Haru is gonna do but I get the feeling he might continue swimming competitively but if it's only because he heard what happened to Sousuke, Ill be annoyed. Do it because you want to Haru!
I really wanted Samezuka to win (for the team!) but even if they did, I doubt they would've been allowed to go Nationals - a draw would have been nice too!

Next episode preview = more angst, why KyoAni WHY!
ADDThomSep 4, 2014 1:45 AM
Sep 3, 2014 9:40 AM

Sep 2008
I wanted draw!
I knew Haru's team will win, but I also wanted Rin's team win too! ;(
Damn you! :/ ;(

Great episode :D
Sep 3, 2014 9:44 AM
Jul 2014
I kind of figured Iwatobi would win in the end. Hmm, seemed a bit obvious especially with an injured Sousuke.

Good episode overall, finally got some more swimming ;)
Sep 3, 2014 9:53 AM

Nov 2012
Sousukeeeeeee......! Right in the feels!!
Sep 3, 2014 10:06 AM

May 2013
Good race. Glad to see that Iwatobi won. Sousuke tried his hardest despite that shoulder injury.
Sep 3, 2014 10:21 AM

Apr 2013
Finally Rin found out about Soussuke's injury. That race was pretty intense, kinda wanted Rin's team to win this time though.
Sep 3, 2014 10:23 AM

Dec 2011
With an injured Sousuke I don't Rin's team will stand a chance against Haruka's team, which is a rather good thing since I want Iwatobi to win.

So Rin'a at freaking master level at every swimming style it would seem... op...

Dem bromance feelings that Sousuke has...

It was nice to see that Haruka wasn't butthurt anymore and that his attitude changed for the better.

Dem feelings this episode made me cry manly man tears T.T

Sousuke even injured is only slightly slower than Rei... dat nakama power-up XD.

Woohoo, Iwatobi won 1st place and they're going to go to the nationals!!!

Hmm, I wonder if they're going to cover the nationals phase in this season, if not they could always make a 3rd season called Free! Zenkoku-hen XD.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 3, 2014 10:37 AM

Jul 2013
the power of nakama xD

i wanted samezuka to win but it was obvious they would lose due to sousuke's injury.

i hope we get to see some interaction between haru and rin next episode but it will probably focused on makoto's plans for the future even though the preview made it look like makoto's going to confess to haru
orchidorkSep 3, 2014 10:40 AM
Sep 3, 2014 10:38 AM

Sep 2013
Oh, the feels....! Really loved the swimming scene. I think this episode was really nicely paced and tugged on the heartstrings.

Sep 3, 2014 10:38 AM

May 2010
ohh, the feels! ;.;

Great race tho.

And I can't help but think the pv for the next ep looked like Makoto confessing to Haru. XDD haha
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Sep 3, 2014 10:45 AM

Dec 2012
Gah Great episode~!!
Really really loved the race. & yass Iwatobi won~~!!!
Poor Sousuke tho :(
Sep 3, 2014 11:19 AM

Feb 2012
Nouuuuuuuuu Sou channnnnnnnn.
Sep 3, 2014 11:28 AM

Feb 2013
A really great episode, full of the power of friendship.

I know why they let Sousuke finish the relay, but realistically, that was a fool thing to do and stupid for Rin to allow as team captain. Your arm and shoulder is used for more than just for swimming, you know. Sousuke was beginning to be restricted in just simple motions like reaching out. Do you really want to risk crippling him for life? Well, thank goodness for the power and miracle that is epic friendship!

Anyway, I'm interested in what Haru took away from this. He and his team are going to the nationals though I really think it was a tie between Iwatobi and Samezuka. However, Sousuke's confession to his team as well as Haru's observation of Rin, has made him rethink things as well.

I have a feeling that after this, there will be a bit of separation between them all. Sousuke will more than likely leave the swimming team, if not the school entirely. Graduation is also approaching as well, which will mean a separation of the Iwatobi team. We shall see where that leads, next week.

But why is Haru trying to punch Makoto? Is Mako finally confronting him regarding his future?
Sep 3, 2014 11:30 AM

Apr 2009
This was a very emotionally satisfying episode, although I kept hoping that Haru and Makoto would somehow talk it out. Seems like they are going to cover that in the next episode. I can already hear all the MakoHaru fangirls screaming.
The cheese was laid on pretty heavily, but since it's Free! I don't really mind. Also, crying Rin made up for a lot. Smiling Sousuke as well. That relay was some intense shit, I was thinking the whole time that someone would somehow mess up. But Iwatobi pulled through and they're going to nationals, which is pretty awesome.
Sep 3, 2014 11:40 AM
Aug 2014
Aw man the angst is back. I still liked it though, and Rin crying was adorable.
Sep 3, 2014 11:43 AM

Jun 2008
Another intense episode.

I guess it was obvious that Iwatobi won (which also made me really happy) since Sousuke wouldn't be able to swim in the nationals (wouldn't want anyone else replacing him, don't know whether it's even allowed).

Crybaby Rin is also back. Whenever he cries, I cry too, but somehow I didn't this time.

I don't want Free! to end again!!
Sep 3, 2014 11:45 AM

Feb 2013
I still have a feeling that Haru will go pro. Those looks he kept giving the pool, and the way he kept looking wistfully at Rin swimming.

Also, as of right now, only Rin is assured to be going pro. And we know from last season that Rin kind of falls apart when he's trying to go professional swimming by himself and that he needs his friends (specifically Haru) close to keep him on track. So, I have a feeling that Rin won't be alone when heading to the college-level swimming arena.
Sep 3, 2014 11:54 AM

Jul 2013
wow what an intense episode. free! never lets us down
I felt really sorry for Sousuke this episode, and I have to say I quite like him now:)
Rin crying almost made me cry too. Ai and Momo showing up was really awesome. they're such a good team^^
oh man I laughed at the Iwatobi/Samezuka exchanges before the start. haha even Makoto joined in:P
I'm glad the Iwatobi boys won, they deserved it. but in all honesty if the Samezuka team would've won, I wouldn't even mind that much.
next episode some nagisa/rei and makoto/haru talk. those.. f...fireworks..teehee>0<
can't wait~
Sep 3, 2014 12:02 PM
Mar 2012
I actually cried a little bit at Sousukes speech.

Aww, Rin is just perfect. Cute crybaby.

Irenesharda said:
Also, as of right now, only Rin is assured to be going pro. And we know from last season that Rin kind of falls apart when he's trying to go professional swimming by himself and that he needs his friends (specifically Haru) close to keep him on track. So, I have a feeling that Rin won't be alone when heading to the college-level swimming arena.
I think he keeps pestering Haru because he wants to go to the same university and swim together. But well, he has to grow up at some time.

tsubasalover said:
Main guy is faster than red hair guy (though it might be few seconds difference)?
Nope, differences like that in swimming are not measured in seconds anymore.
Sep 3, 2014 12:03 PM

Jun 2014
Very emotional episode! The relay was amazing and I actually sat here screaming at my computer for Haru to win! (Sorry, not a fan of Rin)

I can't wait to see what happens next week!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 3, 2014 12:08 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Sousuke's injury secret is revealed. Rin found it out with an indirect but cool way.

Some recollections of the rivalry and frustration from both side. That was pretty emotional when Rin cried after Sousuke discloses that he'll give up swimming..

Loved the relay match. Even with a wrecked shoulder, Sousuke was a beast!
Rin vs. Haru was intense as usual. I wish they'd show us the difference in time they reached the end. It looked like a tie though.

Good episode. So, Sousuke will give up swimming for real? I hope not..

Sep 3, 2014 12:14 PM

Feb 2014
Another emotional, intense episode this week.
The OSTs played were amazing as always. It really sets the mood.

Shaniyaz said:

Rin vs. Haru was intense as usual. I wish they'd show us the difference in time they reached the end. It looked like a tie though.

I agree. I really wanted to know the moment their hands hit the wall.
ScarletCrystalSep 3, 2014 12:18 PM

"Later on, you will become a lively person causing headaches as the shrine-god."
Sep 3, 2014 12:21 PM
Aug 2007
Nice episode! Maybe Sousuke will go to the Paralympics?
Sep 3, 2014 12:25 PM

Jun 2011
Really tough on my emotions in this episode. That race had such mixed feelings from me, overall I wanted rin's ultimate team to win this time buuuut no surprise. I love Iwatobi buuuuuttt errrrr. Though even if rin's team won sousuke can't put another race could he? Though. I was surprised that haru just went up told the whole team sousuke's story.
Makoshima-sempai was great in this episode for me.
Sep 3, 2014 12:35 PM
Mar 2012
y123y said:
What do you mean by "grow up"?
You can't always be together with your friends from school. At some points you'll have to go down different paths. That's life. But it doesn't mean you can't still be friends. And it doesn't mean you'll never be joined in the future at some time.

MaliyaWong said:
Nice episode! Maybe Sousuke will go to the Paralympics?
Uhm... It didn't seem that bad.

And Rins bedsheets with sharks when he was small! D'awww.
Sep 3, 2014 12:46 PM

Jul 2010
That was the best relay ever! With Iwatobe making it into the nationals. This episode made me not want Samezuka to not lose either :(
Some background on Sousuke! Nice seeing younger Rin and Gou too.
How he injured his shoulders and his thoughts about Rin. It felt really nice and especially how the last year relay sparked something inside him.
To want to swim this relay even if it destroys his shoulder. That willpower though in the relay!
Not only did Sousuke's background made it an impactful episode, it also made the relay that much more intense! All those tears they shared and them being that caring for each other T.T
Sep 3, 2014 1:33 PM

Jul 2009
i love how this anime has really shaped up these past few episodes.
i was hoping for a scene where a scout said damn, that haru guy sure is good after all. oh well.
Sep 3, 2014 1:44 PM

Dec 2012
Forever-a-mole said:
Sousukeeeeeee......! Right in the feels!!
Sep 3, 2014 1:46 PM

Dec 2012
Man,this episode was so dramatic it made me sick. And not because it was dramatic,but because it was focused on Sousuke. Rin cried because of him. What the fuck. I still don't like Sousuke.
I don't know but I was really sure Samekuza was going to win. I'm so glad I wasn't right. I'm glad Haru win. I'm glad.
Sousuke was just for more fujoshi bait,forced drama and new OTPs to make for fujoshi IMO.
I only what to know what will happen to Haru.
Sep 3, 2014 1:52 PM

Jan 2013
Did anyone noticed the lak of audience watching the competition?

The backstory of Sousoke's shoulder was... well...

Did Haru finally realised something?
Sep 3, 2014 2:21 PM

Nov 2012
So much groaning this episode,pretty funny tbh.

Lmao when Rin yelled SOUSUKEEEE!!! too.
Sep 3, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2013
I feel like the episode would've been better if Samezuka had won the race, but couldn't proceed to the finals because of Sosuke's shoulder (Rin would pull out because he wouldn't want to swim without Sosuke). With them pulling out Iwatobi would be given their nationals spot (presumably). That's my opinion on what should've happened.

Although I thunk because they made the exchange such an important thing this season, I reckon Haru jumped the gun and caused Iwatobi to be disqualified (speculation).

Regardless it was a nice episode with Sosuke's character development, it is upsetting that he could/can never compete against Rin but now at least their friendship can become more than the competitive sports friendship they've had from childhood.
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss
Sep 3, 2014 2:56 PM

Apr 2014
6/5

Ugh, the Sousuke and Rin friendship moments were all I could have ever wanted from this episode. Everything else is just cheese whip creme on a key lime pie.
Sep 3, 2014 3:01 PM
Apr 2014
suck it sousuke
Sep 3, 2014 3:17 PM

Feb 2010
DEEEMMM FEEELS THOUGHHHHH.
Seeing Rin cry again was so cute. I can die happy now. ;~;
Sep 3, 2014 3:30 PM

Jan 2013
Seeing Rin cry again made me remember how much of a softie he is. He's really a great friend and captain to his team.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Sep 3, 2014 3:42 PM

Jun 2012
VanishingKira said:

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sep 3, 2014 3:52 PM

Nov 2012
So many tears. The second episode to make me cry.

Race sequences were nice

Shuhan said:
VanishingKira said:

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sousuke's powering up
Sep 3, 2014 4:09 PM

Apr 2008
LittleStar said:
I wanted draw!
I knew Haru's team will win, but I also wanted Rin's team win too! ;(
Damn you! :/ ;(

Great episode :D

^This!!!!
Sep 3, 2014 4:16 PM

Apr 2014
Dear Rin and Sousuke, please get married already.
Bwahaha, I'm just kidding. I mean, yes, this anime is pretty gay, but that isn't really want I want to talk about here. [ and I don't know if I even ship Rinsuke ]

I was so surprised to learn that Sousuke fabricated the entire story about him being scouted. And now, I feel terribly sorry for him. He sacrificed so much just to be able to swim with Rin again. As someone who swims and participates in other sports, I know that any injury, if overworked to the point of which Sousuke did, can be debilitating and also can be a disability that will affect him for not only a year or two, but for the rest of his life. Considering that even after the two years of rehabilitation, his shoulder didn't quite heal, and he was still training in swimming when he joined Samezuka's team, I have my doubts as to whether Sousuke will ever recuperate from the injury. But that makes the impact of what he did just that much more meaningful. He gave up so much, maybe even the proper use of his shoulder for the rest of his life, just to swim with Rin. Once. Only once. And he would be content. I'm so happy to see that he finally was able to pull himself out of the darkness, and understand the meaning of swimming a relay. When he was a child, his words about a relay being too much responsibility to bear is only a half-truth. With that responsibility comes three people who will support you in whatever you do. Even if you mess up in the relay, your team will most likely never hold a grudge. Even though Sousuke was injured, as many of you probably saw, the rest of his relay team still supported him. They encouraged him to swim, and didn't scream at him even though he faltered in the relay. That, I think, is the most significant part of Samezuka's relay team. When you are on a relay team, none of the members of your team are your rivals. You are best friends, maybe acquaintances, but after those fleeting minutes of the race, you're closer than you ever were before.

When somebody cries in a movie or a book, I start crying too. I don't know how much more my little kokoro can take. At the end of this season, I'm pretty sure my kokoro will be brokoro into millions of little pieces. See, it's possible that Rin was upset because Sousuke had lied to him, but I think the realization of how much work Sousuke put into training so that he might be able to meet Rin again someday really hit home. It probably would be the same for any of us. Imagine if your friend had constantly been studying, working to the point where it started to have permanent affects on their health, just so you could meet in college one day again. I would never want anyone to sacrifice their well-being for me. Sousuke's devotion is something that really needs to be observed, because I doubt few people would continue working past the point of injury to reach a goal that might not even be attainable.

A big congratulations to Iwatobi for their win! Holy animation, that race scene was just perfectly coordinated, focused on just the right parts and I actually felt my heart pounding when I was watching it, not only out of anticipation to see who won, but also because the camera angles and shots managed to create a very intense feeling of drama. I'm lame, I guess. I get worked up over an anime.

I believe that something from Rin and Sousuke's conversation must have affected Haru. Maybe he's realized how much other people are sacrificing to be able to swim with him. Even though he doesn't like the attention, I believe Haruka needs to acknowledge the idea. There's clearly something going on in the next episode, though I can't say for sure what that will be. It appears as though we'll be having another fireworks/ nighttime scene with Haru and Makoto? I wonder what will come of the conversation this time.

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Sep 3, 2014 4:28 PM

Nov 2012
swaggahsaurus said:
At the end of this season, I'm pretty sure my kokoro will be brokoro into millions of little pieces.

This
Sep 3, 2014 5:06 PM

Mar 2013
AltriaPendragon said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he lied about being scouted in the first place, and the real reason he came back was because of the injury.

Well, I turned out to be right on that regard at least. Sousuke's body language was too obvious for that.

I know they did it for dramatic effect, but if Sousuke was so injured that his teammates were passing him by, etc. etc. etc., it doesn't make sense that the race would be that close, especially since Sousuke slowed down at that one part. I dunno, I really hate it when shows do that. I also agree with Irenesharda that it was stupid to let Sousuke race. That can really screw up your shoulder, like, permanently. I mean I'm glad he got to race and all, but those two things combined weren't really all that believable.
Sep 3, 2014 5:13 PM

Jul 2014
Kinda wanted Iwatibo to lose this one. Also, next ep PV, confession? Lol, I wish.
Sep 3, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2013
Wow... this episode made me cry twice... the Sousuke story then the end relay... It's definitely the soundtrack.

I totally called that they would make nationals this time.
Sep 3, 2014 5:31 PM

Jun 2013
Damn Sousuke though.

This episode was so legit. I felt emotional during this episode heh
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

147 by CCC47 »»
Jan 20, 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.