Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 1, 2014 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I feel bad for Naru now...
I know she wanted to break out of her shy self but still to not being able to perform fully at her best..

We see a little glimpse of her past though this episode. Hana's rage was understandable of course since her club is being at risk to disband now. Poor Machi, it looks like the club wasn't the only one in trouble this time as she relives part of her past involving Sally. Good episode overall. I like how the club was able to cheer her up a bit. Hell, even Sensei is .

Based on the next episode, I think maybe Machi might join the club herself.
Stark700Sep 1, 2014 11:33 AM
Sep 1, 2014 11:47 AM

May 2013
Glad that the sisters were able to made up. Good news that Sally-sensei was able to become a full time teacher.
Sep 1, 2014 11:53 AM

Jan 2012
Well there was never any doubt that Machi would eventually join the club she's in it in the opening for goodness' sake! :D

But uh yeah another good episode but I try to watch this show to relax and all these emotional episodes are kinda making it tough...I'm hoping next week can be a bit on the lighter side again. If the preview is anything to go by looks like that'll be the case.
Sep 1, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2010
The beginning was a little hard to watch :O

Yosakoi club not being offical since they need a full-time adviser!
Learning the reason behind the tension Sally and Machi has. Family oppression issue for Sally to become a doctor yet Sally wanted to be a teacher. Impulsively taking it out a little on Machi and ran away from home.
Tami's efforts! Glad she got Machi to listen and getting her to understand. I have a soft spot for stuff like these ;_;

Going to be an official club and with Machi thinking about joining ^^
Sep 1, 2014 12:03 PM

Aug 2010
Yeah, sure, go ahead and make Sally the good guy. Seriously, I feel like throwing up. Remember kids, being an irresponsible b*tch is okay until you can find an excuse! For a SOL series this sure got me all worked up instead of relaxing and having a good time.
Sep 1, 2014 12:05 PM

Jan 2013
As soon as I noticed what the problem between the sisters was, I already knew it was some lame thing... and I was right.

But it was cute when Tami tried to make the sisters talk with each other.
And Sally is a nice sensei.
Sep 1, 2014 12:05 PM

Apr 2010
So Sally sensai left the home because she didn't want to become a doctor but a teacher which her parents didn't like.
The the Student council president had the wrong idea about it.
It was nice to see that she got hired as a teacher and good for the girls now they won't have to worry about an adviser anymore.

Despite her looks and impression Sally sensai cares a lot about her students.
Sep 1, 2014 12:11 PM

Jun 2013
What I really love about this show is how well it immerses me into the characters’ backstories. They’re all stories I’ve seen before, but somehow Hanayamata does a way better job delivering the cliché stories to its viewers. It’s amazing. Never have I seen a typical “school club” anime immerse me this much into the drama and the show as a whole. Welcome Machi and congrats Sally!

Definitely one of the more surprisingly consistent anime this season.
Sep 1, 2014 12:41 PM

Jun 2014
Well that wasn't going to be as difficult to watch as I thought it would be. But my prediction from last week was actually fairly close! I'm glad the 2 sisters made up...but damn Machi. You a right bitch.
I totally saw the "terrible misunderstanding" resolution coming with them though, but its nice to see how hard they fight for each other. Doing everything they can for their friends. It's super sweet!
Hopefully next episode is gonna be a cute one, with a little less drama.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Sep 1, 2014 12:58 PM

Dec 2011
The conflict has been finally resolved! Now all the girls are complete!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2014 1:21 PM

Oct 2013
All week I had a song running through my head, but couldn't remember where I had heard it. Turns out it's the closing theme to Hanayamata!! Even though I've watched all the episodes the ED hadn't struck me as much as the OP, but now I love the ED too.

Episode 9 had multiple resolutions to it. Naru confessed her stage fright/anxiety, but Yaya and Tami show themselves to be true friends and give her at least enough confidence to try again. The Yosakoi Club has a bleak future, until Sally manages to become a full-time teacher and saves the day. Finally Machi and Sally are reconciled, thanks again to Tami.

In fact, Tami is rather awesome this episode.
Sep 1, 2014 1:22 PM
Jan 2014
Hanayamata continues to deliver a solid SOL CGDCT experience. I find it funny that it even outclasses some of the more popular genres with its character developement and properly-executed drama. Every element is balanced. Looks like Ishizuka is getting better at directing.

Now with both Machi and Sally's problems resolved, the yosakoi club can finally move on even further.

Oh no... The inevitable onsen episode is coming up next.
Sep 1, 2014 1:28 PM

Jul 2014
How long until they actually dance? Machi is probably best girl now, IMO. She's seems like an actual person, while the rest seem incredibly cheesy clichés. They could've told Machi way earlier that Sally was taking a test, bu drag it on.
Sep 1, 2014 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
It was good to see Sally-sensei had been hired as full-time teacher! Now, the Yosakoi club won't be shut down.
Sep 1, 2014 2:03 PM

May 2012
The first part had a lot of drama, but they made up. Also Sari is a full time teach now. Happy Tami helped them out.

Great episode.
Sep 1, 2014 2:10 PM

Feb 2014
I think this anime throws too much drama in our faces, it's not bad, it's just too much in my opinion.
Sep 1, 2014 2:20 PM

Mar 2014
felt little intese this episode, is good that the sisters finally made the paces :3
Now Machi is gonna join to the Yosakoi Club! :D
Sep 1, 2014 2:27 PM

Mar 2012
Glad it resolved. Now it's time to get dancing and aim for the.... um... well dance! festival!
Sep 1, 2014 6:28 PM

Apr 2011
Good thing Naru has good friends to confide with. Thanks to them she has the strength to stand up again.

And its also a good thing the sisters finally made up in one episode thanks to Tami-chan.

Now with all the members complete, hopefully they leave the drama out now.

Oh wait, I forgot about Hana. She doesn't have any proper backstory yet.
MagitoSep 2, 2014 7:34 AM
Sep 1, 2014 7:01 PM

Oct 2013
When Tami lock Machi on the stairs
Suddenly reminded of one-man german suplex scene from Nichijou
Toaki90Sep 1, 2014 7:05 PM
"Burn the heretics"
Sep 1, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2013
Machi just maybe be best girl. Tears almost came when Machi ran for her sis.
Sep 1, 2014 10:23 PM

Feb 2012
I love this show. It doesn't drag anything out. Most shows would drag out Naru and Hana's incidents, but they fast forwarded it and ended it on a happy note. Machi and Sally's backstory and resolution were done nicely as well.

Overall, a great ep. Machi finally joins and right on time for the onsen ep!
Sep 1, 2014 10:28 PM

Dec 2010
This episode is proof that Tami is a pretty awesome person. Helping the sisters reunite like that!

I feel bad for their performance, but they were able to learn from it, and that's what really matters!

I still don't like Machi all that much yet. Maybe she'll grow on me? Of course we only have 3 episodes, so she better grow fast xD
Sep 1, 2014 10:37 PM
May 2014
Sally-chan is now the best character IMO. Maybe because I can kind of relate.
Sep 1, 2014 10:56 PM

Aug 2013
Both Machi and Sally-chan were at fault. Machi's resentment stemmed from something that happened during childhood. Bad memories from childhood isn't just some trivial thing you know. She carried it until she's 14 years old, you gotta wonder if Sally-chan ever put in effort to explain to her little sister why she did what she did. As for Machi, she could have tried to put her in her sister's shoes but most of the time when you're reminded of something painful, you just shut it out :/
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 1, 2014 11:29 PM

Mar 2013
How can you even think Sally's at fault in any way? Her home life was getting toxic so she left (which is a natural thing for older siblings to end up doing anyway...) and Machi was a selfish bitch to her about it. Abandoned you? Pfft, get over yourself. Maybe if you actually bothered to listen to your sister instead of just shouting at her, making her feel like shit, and telling her students she's irresponsible and worthless, you might've seen past your stupid misconceptions. She even told you when she left that she couldn't stand living at home because she couldn't be the person she wanted but instead of caring for your sister, you made it all about you. What a baby.
Sep 1, 2014 11:57 PM

Aug 2013
When Tami was telling Machi about why her sister wanted to become a teacher, Machi was obviously surprised. She did not know. After hearing that from Tami, she made a complete turnaround and everything was forgiven. See how easy it was? Which makes you wonder, during all those years did Sally-chan ever try to explain her side to Machi?

I mean it's not like Machi hates her sister's guts to the point of not wanting to see or hear from her. They're obviously on speaking terms and during last episode, Machi even picked up the disc for her. This is why I say Machi and Sally-chan are both at fault. One was stubborn and chin-deep in resentment, the other let the situation stay as is.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 2, 2014 1:18 AM

Jul 2012
I agree, neither Sally nor Machi handled the situation well. Yes, Machi was very bitter about the past but Sally never tried to fix it either...she did not try to reach out to her sister and explain the situation to her. It may have been hard when she was young but Machi is older now and probably understands why Sally did what she did (though probably didn't want to admit it).

Machi was a bit impulsive and threw around harsh accusations but I wish it was Sally who spoke up instead of letting her students do all the work.

Well we have an onsen episode next and hopefully a break from the drama.
Sep 2, 2014 1:35 AM

Jul 2013
lol Tami, didn't know she can be hilarious XD I just lost it when Machi and Sally just sat there pouting while Tami was smiling so innocently XD

Turns out Machi just had a big siscon and it's all a big misunderstanding. I'm glad they didn't drag out last episode's incident while also resolving Machi's case in one episode. It's a great and heart-warming episode especially when Machi ran after her sister.

On another note I found this hilariously awesome video that gave a new meaning to Yosakoi:
Sep 2, 2014 1:52 AM

May 2013
The "onee-chan" part kinda reminds me of Kill la Kill...

Welcome to the club, Machi. ITS TIME FOR A HOT SPRING EPISODE ^________^
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 2, 2014 3:59 AM

Aug 2012
I've always wanted to have a friend like Tami .
Best girl of the season .
Sep 2, 2014 5:22 AM

May 2013
Great! Sally is now an official teacher and Machi is a yosakoi club member. Now that that's settled, back to yosakoi and some cute facial expressions!
Sep 2, 2014 6:16 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
More tears due to similar experiences with Machi..
those abandonment issues.
The Tami pout was adorable, the transition from Naru failing to an episode on Sally felt a bit rushed but all is alright since it was still an enjoyable episode.
Glad to see the sisters back, maybe Machi will reveal a slight sister complex.
Sep 2, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2013
xchee said:
When Tami was telling Machi about why her sister wanted to become a teacher, Machi was obviously surprised. She did not know. After hearing that from Tami, she made a complete turnaround and everything was forgiven. See how easy it was? Which makes you wonder, during all those years did Sally-chan ever try to explain her side to Machi?

I mean it's not like Machi hates her sister's guts to the point of not wanting to see or hear from her. They're obviously on speaking terms and during last episode, Machi even picked up the disc for her. This is why I say Machi and Sally-chan are both at fault. One was stubborn and chin-deep in resentment, the other let the situation stay as is.

Except the fact that they live together and Machi does shit for her makes it pretty likely that until Machi suddenly started shouting at her out of the blue and not letting her explain, Sally wasn't even aware Machi was upset about it. Why would you explain something if it seems like you don't need to? This is why Machi needed to listen to, talk to, and properly care for her sister.
Sep 2, 2014 12:05 PM

Oct 2009
And after this Machi will join the club, the next episode will be interesting ^^
Sep 2, 2014 2:06 PM

Jun 2014
straggy said:
...pretty likely that until Machi suddenly started shouting at her out of the blue and not letting her explain, Sally wasn't even aware Machi was upset about it. Why would you explain something if it seems like you don't need to?...

What kind of twisted logic is that? How is it possible to think that Sally has NO responsibility whatsoever.

Just think for a second.

An intelligent teenage girl suddenly ups and leaves home due to pressure (& some other ambiguous reason) and thinks her KID sister who completely adores and idolizes her will be completely ok with that. No trauma caused at all. Crushing expectations? A personal crisis? Sure, what 7-8 year old doesn't understand that.
Sally had years to explain herself and clear things up but obviously she didn't make an effort to.

In real life, you actually have to reach out to people you care about, not just be blindly oblivious to their feelings because you're too concerned with your own. Even Machi yelling at her was a form of contact that betrayed some form of attachment. Thinking about one side is just missing the point of the story.
Sep 2, 2014 2:32 PM

Mar 2009
A bit melodramatic and heavy-handed, this one.

How difficult is it to tell your kid sister where you're going? Maybe Machi wouldn't have been so resentful, then.
Sep 2, 2014 7:21 PM

Apr 2012
Tami effort to ask Machi is funny XD

Machi and Sally finally make up, Good Job Tami :D

Sep 3, 2014 11:48 AM

Jun 2013
sensei's sister is such a bitch
Sep 3, 2014 1:06 PM

Jul 2013
i hate macchi so much, even though she is nice to her sister now
and i feel bad for the fact that she is joining the yosakoi club
and i kinda wanted that they suffered from a total humiliation because of naru's fall, but whatever
nice episode

also, will there be episode time to see the upcoming festival?
Sep 3, 2014 5:53 PM

May 2012
05:27 need more seitokaichouchan

12:22 awesome

22;07 yayy

Oo mai goddo!

7/10 for this episode.
ShirubaasouruSep 3, 2014 6:25 PM
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Sep 3, 2014 6:03 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was hard to watch because of the corniness. For like the longest time I was playing a 'scene' in my head of the worst thing that could happen.

I liked the ending though, it's been a while since I've seen this 'ending'.
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
Sep 3, 2014 8:41 PM

May 2013
D'awww adorable sister episode, especially when Machi comes running at asks Sally-sensei how she did on the exam with that blush. Tami makes everything better <33
Sep 3, 2014 9:50 PM

Oct 2013
Sisters reunited. ;P
Sep 3, 2014 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
Am I missing something? Why can't they make a club outside of school? As of now the only school resource they are really using is their haori jacket things and there are probably competitions that are not school based so whats up with that?

And goodness Machi and her complex. One trauma and it has to be the same for everyone else. I get that she feels some type of way but as a viewer it's soooo annoying I wanted Sally-chan to pimp smack her after she spouted all that crap. Selfish and irresponsible for following her own dreams well whoodathunkit?!

Use your words! Communicate dagnabit!
Years of pain and frustration because of misunderstandings=worst trope ever GAAAAHHHHH!
Sep 4, 2014 4:23 AM
Mar 2013
Just my guessing, but I have a feeling that it was their parents that (possibly unintentionally) made the sisters become estranged.
htsujiSep 4, 2014 4:28 AM
Sep 4, 2014 3:58 PM

Jun 2014
Sister Reunion. Wonderful episode.
Sep 5, 2014 3:17 PM
Oct 2012
Honestly I thought Machi was the one being selfish and she really annoyed me this episode. I understood completely where Sally was coming from and in my opinion it was selfish of Machi to expect her sister to stay there and coddle her forever. But at the end they made up and Machi's getting better but honestly it just irritated me.
Sep 5, 2014 8:24 PM
Mar 2013
retepeters said:
i hate macchi so much, even though she is nice to her sister now
and i feel bad for the fact that she is joining the yosakoi club

How about re-watching the episode 4 where she encouraged Tami to choose what to do not for Tami's father but for Tami herself?
Machi is one of the very important Tami's friends, who often gives her simple and good advices when Tami is grumbling. If Machi weren't there, Tami wouldn't have joined in the Yosakoi Club and it couldn't become an official school activity.
htsujiSep 5, 2014 8:49 PM
Sep 6, 2014 9:35 AM
AnimeLover

Aug 2011
Good episode, damn Machi joins late, in episode 10, anime only has couple episodes to go and she's finally in, but only 3 episodes left :'(
zack37343Sep 6, 2014 9:53 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something.....

Ghefira - Sep 5, 2023

0 by Ghefira »»
Sep 5, 2023 10:38 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2014

161 by SoraKara »»
Dec 11, 2022 6:29 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

omega_d94 - Jul 21, 2014

84 by mazuchi »»
Jun 5, 2022 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2014

82 by Atavistic »»
Jan 21, 2022 6:09 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

155 by removed-user »»
Jan 21, 2022 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.