Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2009 7:53 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movie is awesome. I didn't knew the background story of HnK when I saw this but still I was amazed.

Wonderful fights & story!
Apr 3, 2010 8:50 AM

Jul 2009
Not bad as remakes go but the new characters and bits of story were unnecessary and I wasn't particularly fond of the Ken's and Raoh's new voice actors. The animation and fights were pretty top notch though.

Also, it had YOU WA SHOCK!!! which was epic win :P
Jun 15, 2010 12:11 PM

Aug 2008
simple wow didnt expect this movie to be this good.
Feb 22, 2011 12:11 PM

Dec 2009
Having watched this after watching the 13 episode Raoh Gaiden it was nice to see Reina and Souga
Dec 3, 2011 1:39 AM

Dec 2010
Meh. The gore was toned down which sucks and omitted whenever possible, in fact there's none and less blood than the original fist of the north stars. Also felt a bit rushed at times, and melodramatic.

I mean...Reina was gonna go to get Toki or Kenshiro but Souther's henchmen ambush her like 20 to 1. Then a few scenes later she rode out of the forest. At first I wasn't sure if a "flashback" scene has started but it became apparent Reina's fight scenes with those low punks were completely skipped.

Colors were pretty, but animation fight scenes seem low sometimes. Overall, I'm tempted to give 7/10 but 6/10 will do.

Fuck violence censorship laws. Ruins this anime.
Sep 22, 2012 1:21 PM

Nov 2010
this movie was amazing imo. i love seeing some of my favorite arcs remade with better quality. cant even get over how awesome this movie is...
Dec 20, 2012 5:47 PM

Jun 2010
So it's a retelling of the Shu/Souther part of the original story awkwardly married to an anemic new story with this Reina character.

Not only is it too easy to forget Reina during any scene in which she does not appear, her story doesn't make sense given the direction of the larger story. Here Raoh is sentimental and compassionate when it's important to the plot of the original that he is cruel and callous in the extreme until very shortly before his death (and with the exception of when dealing with his brother Toki).

I don't want to complain about an adaptation changing things (the 1986 movie changed a great deal and I rather liked it), but given that this movie is largely a slice of the original story and the changes it makes invalidates that story, it just ends up making little sense.

I would have wished they had taken the extra time to flesh out Shu some more. His Christlike suffering and death is one of my favorite sequences from Fist of the North Star.
Oct 12, 2015 6:56 AM

Jan 2015
The movie was pretty good. Didn't really understand why they added those new characters, since they seemed pretty irrelevant. However, top notch animation amd OST.
Aug 7, 2016 7:55 AM

Feb 2013
This movie had a lot of feelings,manly ones.
Jan 8, 2017 12:12 PM

Aug 2012
This film does a pretty good job of getting the story across into a much smaller amount of time. It certainly helps knowing the ins and outs of the story already but even those unaware I'm sure could follow it without feeling too lost and for that the film deserves praise.

The Animation was really amazing, a HUGE improvement over the later side story Legends of the Dark King in every way. Unlike that series this felt like Fist of the North Star and that was great (I watched LOTDK yesterday).

I enjoyed tha addition of the character Reina which really goes along way to fleshing out Raoh's character in the story.

Sure it's not as gory but that isn't the only thing to enjoy in Fist of the North Star so I'm okay with that.

The final 35 minutes of this Film are epic, I was so pumped and honestly dumbfounded by how amazing that whole sequence was handled. One of the most remembered moments from the original TV series and they nailed it despite how rushed it was. Though it must be said that the humanizing of Souther was cut out pretty much and as the main villian he was in need of being fleshed out further for those who haven't seen the TV series, he's quite 1 dimensional in this version.

Loved it and I look forward to watching the rest of these True Savior films.
BlaizeVJan 8, 2017 12:21 PM
Sep 12, 2017 2:11 AM
Aug 2010
Great fucking movie.

I think the new characters were very fitting and helped make Raoh far more likable than he was in the original chapters/episodes that covered this story. The new VAs were a bit odd at first but did a very good job. They were likely added to get people to read the Ten no Haoh manga, but sadly it's not available in English anywhere and I'm not sure I want to watch the cheap-ass TV adaptation.

"Melodramatic"? Hokuto is melodrama incarnate and this movie has some of the best-directed anime melodrama I've seen - Dezaki would be proud. BlaizeV is spot on; the audiovisual execution of the climax, with Shuu's sacrifice and the final battle, was wonderful. The painted background art in this movie was generally amazing; and that, along with the sense of composition and music, really nailed home the sheer scale of the biblical setting and events of the finale.

The animation is pretty cheap, but hey, this was made in 2006, not the 80s; Hokuto wasn't a super-mainstream, beloved shonen that every young boy in Japan watched weekly anymore, and the state of the industry in 2006 was pretty goddamn far from the bubble economy of the 80s. The only part I really took issue with visually was the huge amount of ugly digital filters and after-effects. The part where Raoh blows up a bunch of Souther's men was super well animated but they really fucked it up with the Photoshop nonsense.

Nonetheless, a very powerfully executed adaptation of the Souther arc.
Dec 26, 2019 5:53 AM

Jul 2015
First movie of the remake series, must say I'm impressed in the way they condenced the story in such a short time

I like the new characters they added and the small changes of Raoh making him more human instead of coldblooded

I'm happy they didn't put Souther's backstory into this because that was quite shitty in my opinion

Sep 20, 2020 1:27 AM

Jan 2011
Damn, the gore is a step down from the 1986 movie and the Shin Hokuto OVAs. That's a bit disappointing, and I'm gonna guess the rest of the pentalogy is at a similar level. I thought Ken's voice was fine, but he needs to speak up a bit. Think they should have focused more on Souther too, instead of the new Raoh related bits, but I guess it is his name in the title after all.
Nov 12, 2020 2:23 AM

Dec 2015
French dub watched in 2011, on CinéFamiz

Too many changes: a diminished villain (who became paper-flat), an interesting variation on Raô, an added character that happens to be useless far too often (a missed occasion).
Despite the number of promised films for this new adaptation, the story is so compressed that it relies on many, many talks. Still not as bad as it could be in this department. May interest people who already know the original, at the cost of losing newcomers.
A fabulous look (original style sublimed by Araki's rendering), but a bit too stilted.
A nice piece of post-apocalyptic action.

Score: 7/10
Enjoyment: 5/5

I would still advise beginners to try starting with the manga.
May 23, 2023 12:22 AM

May 2015
Pretty cool movie. Kenshiro with his fists of the north star was the deliverer of justice, whilst Shu, Shiva, and even Reina acted as the guide and support of those fists. 8/10!
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.