Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 9 Discussion

Aug 28, 2014 7:25 AM
News Team
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, a lot of built-up this episode and with the action in the second half.

It looks like both sides are going all out now with their weapons. I'm not too impressed by the mecha used though but the military tactics was awesome. The soldiers have it so hard on the front lines in this series. The MC needs to improve his skills a bit.
Modified by Stark700, Aug 28, 2014 10:46 AM

Aug 28, 2014 9:11 AM
First half of the episode was interesting, not a single moment was wasted.

While the action wasn't that enjoyable, I'm glad about the use of military tactics.
The pacing has been improving too.

Tokimune's a different person now, compared to how he was in the beginning, which is refreshing to see. He's totally proving his worth.

The PV of the next episode looks like it will follow the same formula.

Aug 28, 2014 10:21 AM

This was a good episode. Really liked how the battle was won by the use of military tactics instead of charging the Argevollen.

Hopefully the next episodes continue with this formula.

Aug 28, 2014 10:45 AM

Tokimune's starting to hold himself together during battles. Pretty good development.

The death of Conrad will surely give more reason for Schlein to destroy Argevollen.

Aug 28, 2014 11:08 AM
Forum Moderator
Seems the 8th independent unit is pretty successful with all those victories and the enemy seems to be suffering at their hands.
Still one should wonder what the other fronts are like to see if things are going well or not.
Tokimune's unit seems to be making name tho.

The question is what where those old men talking about when talking about his unit something seemed of and their company seemed to be holding a lot of power.
Seeing the way they talked it seems they have influence in multiple wars.
So they are probably a major weapon designer or something like that.

Aug 28, 2014 11:20 AM

Decent episode. I like that they give the enemy soldiers faces. You can clearly see that the fighting force on both sides is made of young people, not grizzled warriors. They seem to be trying to play this as close to actual warfare as possible.
And as always, the promise of more action next episode.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.

Aug 28, 2014 11:42 AM

It was an average episode. I liked how the battle was won by using military tactics.

Aug 28, 2014 11:50 AM
Hitagi's Pet

For all the criticism and bashing this anime gets, that was a pretty great episode. We see things from the perspective of the other side and it's refreshing to see that they are not your typical bunch of cartoony, hammy villains, but just regular people like Arandian's that one can relate to. No black or white here.

I've been asking myself all this time how a relatively backward country like Arandas could produce such an advanced and OP unit as Argevollen. This plot hole has now been closed by the knowledge that the company developing Argevollen is from a third country, and they're using the Arandians as nothing more than test subjects for their mecha. Heck, Tokimune being a crap pilot actually is acknowleged in series now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 28, 2014 12:13 PM

So basically the Patriots are behind all of the wars.

Aug 28, 2014 1:14 PM

Explosives were Arandas' best friend in this episode, that artillery and rocket bombardment was almost absolute in it's destructive power and accuracy, it pretty much made the Trail Kriegers unnecessary. Sure Tokimune is better than he was towards the start but he still has a long way to go, especially if he wants to beat Richthofen. Looks like Ingelmia strikes back next episode though!

Aug 28, 2014 1:24 PM
It looks like Inglemia is going to experience a regime change soon.

Aug 28, 2014 1:52 PM

tokimune is such a noob piloting trail kriegers... argevollen is being wasted

nice episode, wish i had seen jamie though :c

Aug 28, 2014 2:33 PM

The protagonist of the story is improving, and finally the real war was shown in the anime, although the focus of the episode was in the antagonists was very interesting, I'm liking the evolution of anime ..
Poor Jamie, nor had a chance to appear in this episode

Aug 28, 2014 2:55 PM
News Team
Overkilled Red

Ingelmians got owned pretty good this episode. Damn, Samonji's military tactics are quite precise.
A bit surprised at Tokimune's improvement! Battle against Major Daniels was pretty good. I guess he's not as pathetic as he used to be.

Poor Richthofen though.. So, is he going to get revenge for his friend now? I think he can take out Tokimune even with an old model Trail Krieger if he really goes all out.

Good episode. Not much screentime for the other pilots who were also in the mission. Oh well..

Aug 28, 2014 3:15 PM

no Jamie D:
Pretty good episode
we did have a Jamie look a like though XD
second half got a little hectic
[/quote]

Aug 28, 2014 4:51 PM

A lot of things were foreshadowed or set in motion this week. The tension between Ingelmian leadership was exciting to see, I just wonder how soon this will affect the state of the war. And if Richthofener didn't have Tokimune's number before, he certainly has it now. But honestly, Tokimune is only getting better as he gains more experience, I don't see Argevollen losing any more one on one fights anytime soon, barring the appearance of another new model(doesn't seem like the Patriots will send anymore of their mechs into the midst of this war, as they appear to be pleased with the results and want to see how much of an impact Argevollen can make)

Tokimune gets a legit kill, and against someone who was rising in the ranks and had lofty ambitions. Man I knew that liquor was a huge death flag, but I didn't expect it to happen this episode lol

The show always does a good job of building atmosphere, but it was better than usual this episode, delving deeper into the Ingelmians' side of things.

Aug 28, 2014 5:53 PM

Tokimune as a better machine than everybody else and still loses, seriously?

Good episode.

Aug 28, 2014 6:01 PM

while the action wasn't that good but still a decent episode kinda feels like a build up

Aug 28, 2014 7:42 PM

Lol'd at the chair.

Aug 28, 2014 8:40 PM

b1GZZ said:
Tokimune as a better machine than everybody else and still loses, seriously?
What episode were you watching?

Aug 28, 2014 9:55 PM

Tokimune improving. No Jamie in this ep awww.

Rich drinks to Conrad's death : (

Aug 28, 2014 10:05 PM

So we find out that a bunch of greedy old farts are responsible for the wars and they're using them to make money by selling weapons. Interesting. Certainly helps in making us care about the other side, considering events in this episode related to the Inglemian Major and stuff. Richthofen probably wants to get his revenge even more now.

That Arnold Holmes guy was kinda similar to Samonji in this episode in that he seemed really calm and collected, though not his 'insubordination' kind of thoughts. But who knows, Samonji might have these thoughts too but we just didn't see them (unless I missed something). There's also the possibility that it happened in the past.

Pretty decent episode, 4/5
Modified by Botato, Aug 28, 2014 10:09 PM

Aug 28, 2014 10:46 PM

So, Richthofen gets some plot devices friends. Oh well, a decent character appears and makes a hasty exit. And the Lt was at least easy on the eyes.

Still, I was a bit surprised the Major kicked the bucket so soon, as he appears to have done. However, I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't think it will, and will be disappointed if it does, bring a revenge angle for Richthofen. He's a soldier through and through, and one with plenty of combat experience. He hasn't ever struck me as emotional or stupid enough to blame what happens on the battlefield on the one who pulls the trigger.

I think this brief plot line was intended more to humanize the Inglemian soldiers and draw parallels to the main cast while setting the stage for future intrigue. If it has any affect on Richthofen, I would expect it to be more in line with helping force a decision as to his role in the Inglemian military, which might only be tangentially related to Argevollen, if at all.

Aug 28, 2014 11:46 PM

FINALLY
I've been waiting for the episode where they focus on the Ineglmian forces because IMHO the characters so far have been so stale. Well luckily, this episode confirmed my notion that I'd be cheering for the opposing side. I love how the characters from Ineglmia actually had you know, personalities, as opposed to most of the characters we had been following so far.

Although i kind of knew the outcome from the start, i couldn't help but want the major to win that 1v1. I've cared more for that 1 guy than the entire cast combined.
I really hope Richthofen gets back at these guys. That final bar scene is the first time this series has actually gotten me to care about someones struggle, unlike that whole Tokimune's sister thing which I really couldn't care less about.
I'm actually looking forward to see the next episode as now I was actually given a character whose struggle is actually intriguing. I want Richthofen to kick major ass man
MyAnimeList .....Steam.....Facebook
#Team Onodera, Anaru, Kawashima, Linda Senpai and Chisaki

Aug 29, 2014 12:57 AM
Who was Argevollen initially intended for?
Will they sell Argevollen to Ingelmia, once all the data is collected?

You'd think that Arandas is winning the war just the way that fight went down. No casualties. Total annihilation of a supposedly superior army by 2 battalions? I'm not liking that.

Liz Roderick seems interesting. Nice to see a new character introduced, especially an Ingelmian.

Private vs Major. Private wins. I think they're overdoing the last-ditch knife attempt.
Want to see Richthofen in action. Their ace pilot.

Aug 29, 2014 1:00 AM

Aversa said:
Seems the 8th independent unit is pretty successful with all those victories and the enemy seems to be suffering at their hands.
Still one should wonder what the other fronts are like to see if things are going well or not.
Tokimune's unit seems to be making name tho.

The question is what where those old men talking about when talking about his unit something seemed of and their company seemed to be holding a lot of power.
Seeing the way they talked it seems they have influence in multiple wars.
So they are probably a major weapon designer or something like that.

I'm going with an arm's dealer corporation since they were really talking a lot about profit.

Marzan said:
For all the criticism and bashing this anime gets, that was a pretty great episode. We see things from the perspective of the other side and it's refreshing to see that they are not your typical bunch of cartoony, hammy villains, but just regular people like Arandian's that one can relate to. No black or white here.

I've been asking myself all this time how a relatively backward country like Arandas could produce such an advanced and OP unit as Argevollen. This plot hole has now been closed by the knowledge that the company developing Argevollen is from a third country, and they're using the Arandians as nothing more than test subjects for their mecha. Heck, Tokimune being a crap pilot actually is acknowleged in series now.

I think the acknowledgment of him being a crap pilot was a while ago, but even then he was a rookie at start. I don't know about the company being from a different country, I think they seem more like branch leaders of one arm's dealer organisation stationed in all the countries monitoring their investments in each of the war's they are invested in.

Now going into how I'm feeling, I'm rooting for Arandas forces even more now knowing that company is in the shadow's but still feeling Arandas is going to lose even with their little gift of giving them Argevollen, they must be making a huge profit from the over taking of Arandas in the end. Yeah we learned some of the depthness of some Ingelmia as a whole but do we really have any back story to why the war is going on in the first place? It shows the President of Ingelmia justifying and claiming they are rescuing Arandas but we don't know how Arandas' actual citizens are how their country is at a whole we only have seen a military that's been locked on the path to defeat. The dealer's behind Argevollen seemed like they were interested in Ingelmias victory saying one Krieger couldn't change a war. I think their plan was sending an basic pilot with Argevollen and allowing it to help Arandas a little but still lose them the war. Tokimune is adapting to it a lot better than the original pilot and his ambition to get further is going to make an impact no one expected imo.

Aug 29, 2014 1:59 AM

When Liz Roderick showed up, I can't help but go "oh it's Riza Hawkeye!" haha.

Hmm so it really wasn't Arandas that developed Argevollen, makes sense. Now, Ingelmia acquiring similar technology seems more likely and of course it's going to be piloted by Richthofen. After watching this episode, I kind of wish this was a non-mecha military anime. I like it more when I see actual soldiers in action while employing tactics.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Aug 29, 2014 2:52 AM

Is it just me, or the Major looks like Samonji for some reason >__<

So Tokimune can kill too, huh
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER

Aug 29, 2014 4:11 AM

Even a superior force can suffer defeat if it is surprised and caught in a vulnerable position (cue Battle of Midway footage...). The trail Kriegers were caught flat-footed and in the middle of resupplying and rotating off-duty and the artillery bombardment was well targeted while complete surprise was obtained.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 30, 2014 2:32 AM
It's nice to see some development and growth from Tokimune.

Aug 30, 2014 9:57 AM

sosmetal said:
Who was Argevollen initially intended for?
Will they sell Argevollen to Ingelmia, once all the data is collected?

You'd think that Arandas is winning the war just the way that fight went down. No casualties. Total annihilation of a supposedly superior army by 2 battalions? I'm not liking that.

Liz Roderick seems interesting. Nice to see a new character introduced, especially an Ingelmian.

Private vs Major. Private wins. I think they're overdoing the last-ditch knife attempt.
Want to see Richthofen in action. Their ace pilot.

I was impressed, Arandas won so easily. They totally owned the ingelmian forces. And i think they would have succeeded even without the Argevollen

Aug 30, 2014 6:27 PM

Tokimune is still quite inexperienced, whether it's just how to interact with his fellow soldiers and superiors, as well as in actually piloting/fighting. It remains to be seen how far he develops in the remaining episodes, i'd love to see him getting used to his job. Basically, he shouldn't stand out when not piloting the Argevollen.

Aug 30, 2014 11:14 PM

I loved how they chose to show the propaganda from Ingelmian. All those speeches about freeing their fellow Aranda's neighbors was fun to watch, especially when they started talking about buying military bonds to pay for army expenses. Goes to show that the state of affairs in Ingelmian aren't as great as they seem. Of course the War-Mongering Arms dealers are the worst, selling their goods to both sides (though by the sound of it, Ingelmian are getting the better arms since they're wealthier). You gotta hand it to the Director for showing all the dirty sides of war here, it's all so real.

That said, the Guerrilla tactics used in the battle before the OP and during the camp raid was so good. Props to Samonji for orchestrating it all. I loved how he managed to limit the potential damage that his squad could take from the outings. The use of explosive traps was damn smart.
That said, I still have major gripes with Tokimune's piloting skills. The huge Krieger comes stumbling at you with one arm and a knife, and you with your superior mech can't even sidestep the block of lego? Seriously he needs to improve by like 1000% if he ever wants to catch up to Richthofen. I'm sort of glad that the War Mongers are responsible for passing out the arms. It means there's a chance that Richthofen will possibly get an Argevollen-like mech in the near future, which will enable me to see the beat-down on Tokimune that he deserves. As of now he is still too arrogant in his piloting of the Argevollen for my tastes, it feels like he thinks that because his mech is the best there is that he finds no need to avoid taking risks on the battlefield, an attitude I hate because its this attitude that will be most likely to get you or your comrades killed in action.

Oh, by the way, did anyone notice that Liz Roderick looks a bit like an older Jamie? Maybe they're related or something.
HESTIAAPPROVES

Aug 31, 2014 2:39 PM

"It's not like a single Trail Krieger can change the outcome of a war"
Remark these words.

Overall, solid episode. I don't really see why this show is getting so much hate, I mean there are a lot of QUALITY here and there but aside that it's pretty consistent.

The tension between Tokimune and Richthofen builds up, it's gonna be a hell of a final fight.

Sep 1, 2014 6:28 AM
err..that 1 vs 1 battle..how can he almost lose? *sigh*

the surprise attack + guerilla warfare part was better, love the booby trap and mecha attacked back and front in the forest

political part was interesting too (i really hope aldnoah zero have something like this, war is not always about army, it'll be more interesting if we know about the government behind each state and the civillian that trapped in the war condition)

Sep 2, 2014 12:07 PM

I swear, every time I hear the Ingelmian leader and his propaganda speech, I'm reminded of Putin. It's like watching Ukraine: The Anime, except with more mecha and most likely a better ending.

Sep 3, 2014 10:50 AM

Anyone notice how the argevellon's devastating power is just him standing in plain site and shooting a gun from a distance while everyone else just misses, the thing that killed this episode though is how slapsticky it was, they were trying to make war seem horrifying but all they did was make a bunch of goofy deaths for the enemy, especially the 2 trial kriegers who got killed by rocket launchers. Also i hate how tokimune is already garnering and infamous reputation for being some sort of demon on the battlefield when as of this episode hes done jack shit to warrant that, its like the series missed the memo or something and forgot to actually show tokimune improving his fights or his reputations and instead just told us "yeah hes infamous now"

I like the final scene of the episode but ultimately this was one of the lesser episodes in this series, it was just really clumsy

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 6, 2014 2:00 AM

4/5

The episode disappoint this time either.
The narrative offers a new armed confrontation, not bad despite having little space the Argevollen, however, the final battle is good, pity that Conrad is left out of the cast too hastily.
However, history is not only made ​​up of battles, but also of political intrigue financial, other than A / Z, the TV series Argevollen turns out to be better in this respect.
Plot very interesting, although it is better than expected, promoted.
The graphics mediocre unfortunately, only flaw of this production.

Apr 11, 2016 7:52 PM

The animation seems choppy in this battle.
Argevollen didn't really play much of a role this time, Tokimune still moving like a doll.
Finally those bastards decided to show their faces huh.

Oct 4, 2016 11:04 PM

it´s the reality of all the wars, all the friends never come back home....

Argevollen it is becoming the flagship of Arandas!!! White Demon!!!
Hello, my litte boy!

Jan 12, 9:48 PM

The Ingelmia leaders sure are hypocritical scum.

Tokimune is known as "Demon" now.

They totally caught them by surprise. It was a one-sided slaughter. It was nice to see how the Ingelmia scum got his ass kicked.

The battle between Tokimune and Daniels was interesting. Tokimune should have been able to evade the attacks though. But in the end he won, that's all that matters.

Apparently, Daniels expected his death.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight. No Senpai, this is our fight. - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi

Apr 29, 8:53 PM

Gosh, this anime is really good. This might be the best mecha I have ever seen.