Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 31, 2015 8:09 AM

Sep 2013
Nope, I love her even more after watching Hitagi End.
Dec 24, 2015 6:36 AM

Nov 2014
Hitagi was not flirting with Kaiki, she was calling for help by acting flirty.

I'm pretty sure Hitagi knows that Kaiki knows she has self-worth issues because she was nearly raped with the (at least passive) agreement of her own mother.
Basically, at some point she was thinking of herself "Am I only a fuckhole like my mother seems to feel about me ?", was terrified that the answer would be yes, and seeing what he did I'm confident Kaiki at least subtly understood it.

So that's how it is, Hitagi has a very big problem with someone nearly all-powerful and unknown apparently hellbent on killing her and her lover: she feels and is indeed desperate.
She goes to Kiaki and pretend having her psychological issues make her act "sluttish" to have him understand that she need help and that it is serious enough for her to fall back into the old pattern she was leaving behind.

When money is involved things get real because she really does not have any big money at all and she knows her deal is a bad one for him.
So she says she can sell herself to get the cash.
Then his answer is basically:
"Trying to emotionaly blackmail me by threatening to become the whore you're terrified you may be so I can be guilt-tripped into thinking I will cause your self-destruction by asking a reasonnable amount of money for dealing will a godlike entity is not something I will accept."
In short, asking for help is okay but trying to actively hurt him or his interests is not.

But that she dares go to the extent of bluntly use the root of all her problems as a bargaining chip (while she played the tsundere to cover it up or was trying to leave it behind) correctly convey her desperation, so he agrees to help her and now only need a freudian excuse to do so.

After that, she "flirts" with him to remind him to not betray her trust on this case and to resolve her last standing unknows and issues she had with him since before the start of the serie.
DdashungDec 24, 2015 6:58 AM
I'm a big softie.
Mar 29, 2016 11:31 AM
Mar 2016
Sooooooo... After almost 2 hours of carefully reading this thread. I only ask one thing. will araragi know about this ? like senjougahara lying to him and meeting kaiki? or was there any instance in the future that senjougahara admits what she did to araragi? or did they even break up? lol.. i just finished watching hitagi end and yes i want to be spoiled so bad.. Thank you guys
Mar 29, 2016 10:44 PM

Jan 2014
HeartlessBastard said:
Sooooooo... After almost 2 hours of carefully reading this thread. I only ask one thing. will araragi know about this ? like senjougahara lying to him and meeting kaiki? or was there any instance in the future that senjougahara admits what she did to araragi? or did they even break up? lol.. i just finished watching hitagi end and yes i want to be spoiled so bad.. Thank you guys
you are asking Araragi will break up because she loves her boyfriend so much that she swallowed all the pride she has to save her boyfriends life?So much that she didnt even care her own life?You are asking that?I think you should rewatch the whole series...You still dont know the characters after watching 50+ episodes...Answer is hidden in those 50 episodes
Mar 30, 2016 5:58 AM
Mar 2016
LoneWizard said:
HeartlessBastard said:
you are asking Araragi will break up because she loves her boyfriend so much that she swallowed all the pride she has to save her boyfriends life?So much that she didnt even care her own life?You are asking that?I think you should rewatch the whole series...You still dont know the characters after watching 50+ episodes...Answer is hidden in those 50 episodes

I think you missed some of my questions. It seems to me that you are a hard core senjougahara fan. well i don't want to argue you with that topic. I was simply asking if senjougahara would ever admit to araragi the things she did behind his back. I'm not saying she cheated i was simply wondering if there would be a time/instance wherein senjougahara would open up to araragi.
Mar 30, 2016 6:02 AM

Apr 2011
I've always disliked Senjougahara for being a bitch.
Mar 30, 2016 6:13 AM

Jan 2014
HeartlessBastard said:
LoneWizard said:

I think you missed some of my questions. It seems to me that you are a hard core senjougahara fan. well i don't want to argue you with that topic. I was simply asking if senjougahara would ever admit to araragi the things she did behind his back. I'm not saying she cheated i was simply wondering if there would be a time/instance wherein senjougahara would open up to araragi.
I was never able to be a "hardcore" fan of anything...just for your information,you werent simply asking when you said "or did they even break up?"...Anyways,just keep watching till koyomimonogatari...
Mar 30, 2016 6:26 AM
Mar 2016
LoneWizard said:
HeartlessBastard said:

I was never able to be a "hardcore" fan of anything...just for your information,you werent simply asking when you said "or did they even break up?"...Anyways,just keep watching till koyomimonogatari...

LOL. The way you reacted to my question simply implies how much you feel for senjougahara,anyway again i will not go into that topic anymore. I asked a question but i also got another question.
Mar 30, 2016 6:27 AM

Jan 2014
HeartlessBastard said:
LoneWizard said:

LOL. The way you reacted to my question simply implies how much you feel for senjougahara,anyway again i will not go into that topic anymore. I asked a question but i also got another question.
I would react same way for any other character too if you blurted a random question about breaking up for no reason...jfyi
Mar 30, 2016 7:30 AM
Mar 2016
LoneWizard said:
HeartlessBastard said:

I would react same way for any other character too if you blurted a random question about breaking up for no reason...jfyi

Well ok :) If that's what you say i wouldn't really argue with that. To be honest we shouldn't really be having any discussion about this. lol if you only answered my question with a simple YES or NO
Mar 30, 2016 11:16 AM

Jan 2014
HeartlessBastard said:
LoneWizard said:

Well ok :) If that's what you say i wouldn't really argue with that. To be honest we shouldn't really be having any discussion about this. lol if you only answered my question with a simple YES or NO
the fact that you are asking a question about their future in a episode discussion post is the most absurd thing here...It is against forum rules check the first post and read those big punto sentences =_=
Mar 30, 2016 12:42 PM

Jun 2010
I haven't finished the series but I'm just saying, Arargi was about to risk it all for Hachikuji's sake; Hanekawa, Kanbaru, sisters, and even Senjoughara.
Aug 30, 2016 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
LoneWizard said:
Leynir said:
Now, what if she wasn't that good of an actor? hmm.. then she has felt something... that's even more horrifying :P
i still dont understand why this would be horrifying?Its a fact that Senjougahara felt "something" for Kaiki back then when she was younger...Just try to empathise,you had to interact with your first love when you are in a relationship...She did not cheat or did something bad...Her feelings for Araragi is clear so it doesnt matter if she felt a little bit emotion for Kaiki

And please keep in mind how Araragi feel for Hanekawa,i think its pretty similar.He felt something for her but it was not good to call it love...

yup totally agree with u post from 2 years ago with a dancing gandalf gif pic.
Araragi kisses 10s and thousands of lolis and its ok but NO WHEN SENJOUGAHARA SHOWS A LITTLE BIT OF PAST EMOTION TOWARDS KAIKI ITS HORRIBLE AND SHES CHEATING yeah fuck off internet drink bleach.
Aug 30, 2016 10:39 AM

Jan 2014
JumBoRGiNo said:
LoneWizard said:
i still dont understand why this would be horrifying?Its a fact that Senjougahara felt "something" for Kaiki back then when she was younger...Just try to empathise,you had to interact with your first love when you are in a relationship...She did not cheat or did something bad...Her feelings for Araragi is clear so it doesnt matter if she felt a little bit emotion for Kaiki

And please keep in mind how Araragi feel for Hanekawa,i think its pretty similar.He felt something for her but it was not good to call it love...

yup totally agree with u post from 2 years ago with a dancing gandalf gif pic.
Araragi kisses 10s and thousands of lolis and its ok but NO WHEN SENJOUGAHARA SHOWS A LITTLE BIT OF PAST EMOTION TOWARDS KAIKI ITS HORRIBLE AND SHES CHEATING yeah fuck off internet drink bleach.
Thank you smug faced Souma avatar guy ;)
Aug 30, 2016 10:42 AM

Sep 2009
Never liked her in the first place, because her only personality is liking staplers.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 3, 2017 9:36 PM

Apr 2016
Romeo said:
only for people who have finished watching this anime
there will be no "TL;DR".. so if it's too long for you, simply stay out of this topic :)
--------------------------
So.. let me get straight to the point. After finishing the last arc (Hitagi End) a few days ago.. I'm really disappointed by the "development" of Senjougahara.

This season i found her to be extremely weak, cheap and dishonest towards Araragi, and there are a couple of reasons for that.

1) There were still like 74 days or so left before their graduation (enough time to come up with a plan), but she still chose to call and meet Kaiki (a man she supposedly hates).

2) She doesn't tell Araragi that she's going to meet him. She hides that fact from him. She looks for absurd reasons that would justify that.. obviously he wouldn't just go berserk and kill him, we've seen that. And Senjougahara knew that.

3) She made it abundantly clear that she's willing to sell her body in order to earn enough money so Kaiki will save her "beloved" Araragi. I'm sure Araragi would have been extremely happy about that..
I know she was almost raped once, but that doesn't make this offer somehow tragically romantic.. she'd just be a simple whore.
And she knows that Araragi wouldn't be happy about that. She'd just lie to him and be happy about having saved Araragi in such a way.

Even after Kaiki refuses, throughout the arc.. she keeps bringing it up and without being asked.. she just keeps saying: "I'm willing to do anything" // "I'm prepared to do anything".
Pretty pathetic and cheap.

4) Even if meant as a joke, she was still flirting with him.

a) Kaiki calls: "I have a question" --> "I'm wearing blue underwear"

b) Senjougahara: "How does it feel to have total control over a high school girl//high school girl's body?"

+ all the other conversations + meetings with him - all behind Araragi's back

5) She led Araragi to believe that Kaiki is simply an evil person.. and that she simply hates him from the bottom of her heart. That is clearly not the case.

It wasn't a relationship, but there was clearly something between them when Senjougahara met Kaiki for the first time. She had feelings for him (and so did he).

She's also dishonest towards Araragi in making him believe that he is her first love. Which also isn't true. She simply lies and hides all that from him.

+ let's not forget that she said something along the lines of: "Kaiki, I feel lonely knowing that this is going to be our last conversation"

**** 6) Before he's going to Sengoku to tell her that Araragi etc. died, Kaiki and Senjougahara have one more phone call.
He doesn't need any information, he's not asking for anything. And still, she asks Kaiki: "Do you want to see/meet me one last time?"

We don't exactly know what's being implied here, but there are 2 possibilities.

a) They'd simply go to the café again and talk.

b) If he said so, she was willing to spend the night with him.

Why do I think that "b" would also be a possibility?
- First.. the way she asked him was kind of weird.. Something was definitely being implied there.

- Senjougahara lied the whole time and was dishonest towards Araragi in this arc. Clearly we don't know what she's truly capable of.

and most important of all.. it's because of something she said to Araragi (it was in Nisemonogatari, i believe)

Back then.. she told Araragi that she doesn't think of sleeping with someone else as betrayal/cheating. Or that she doesn't think of it as something unforgivable or bad. She would just not allow him to fall in love with someone else, that's something she couldn't forgive.
That's what she thinks about it. Those are her beliefs. Therefore it doesn't just apply to Araragi, but also to her as well. ****

-----------------

Obviously it's just an anime, but it's a place to discuss anime.. so I figured: "Why not make a topic and see what other people think about the "development" of this particular character.

Before all this she was actually my favorite character in Monogatari.. by far

That was an honest observation of what happened there. The clear cut answer to that is Hitagi is a conman & a liar like Kaiki. Araragi is even aware of this fact.

Araragi to Hitagi "Liar! Are you a conman too!" There was not even a notion of a joke. He was very serious when he said this. Of course he get shocked when Hitagi says something that is shocking like "Be gentle to me tonight" but that is just normal.

On that note, we all have seen the VAMPIRE PUNCH that Shinobu has. We should keep that in mind before assuming that Araragi&Hitagi (or any other girls) ever kissed,make-out, or even make-love. We all have seen how Shinobu tortured/harassed Nadeko to keep her hands off Araragi. She even went Yandere when she tried to eat Nadeko. I tell you Shinobu/Kissshot is very possessive. She got him tied to a point where he could not even buy hentai manga.

You could see that Araragi is not in any way sexually attracted to Hitagi nor he is willing to marry her. Those COLD SWEATS are a giveaway. He is in just for the thrill! You can say that their relationship itself is one big con-job. The only flaw is that Araragi is not good at pretending. "I love everything about this girl!" & "I love you" is nothing but a farce.

Hitagi to Araragi : "You seem to have forgotten to fulfill your obvious duty."

What duty is that exactly? Her BOYFRIEND/LOVER.

Has not been in a date in months. How is that even possible for two lovers?

---------------------

They are both tsunderes but action speak louder than words. They can fool us with words so you are right examining them using their actions. We can say that we are being conned by Kaiki&Hitagi pretending to hate each other but in our backs they are certainly closet LOVERS.

About hating her! There is no reason to hate her, she is just doing her part! In fact we should commend her for doing such fine job being a conman and all. Araragi, on the other hand, is a draw back for her because he is not good at pretending/acting.
FrEaKaZoIdIaNMay 3, 2017 9:46 PM
-> It does not matter if everything else is BAD as long as the PLOT/STORY is GOOD!
-> TRAGEDIES are for MASOCHIST so count me OUT!
-> TRUTH sometimes HURTS!
-> | Reddit | FanFiction |

Sep 5, 2017 3:04 PM
Jun 2014
Lots of discussion for something that seems to be light ntr teasing (based on the ambiguity of the situation). And stop kidding yourselves. Unless you're major cucks you'd be absolutely furious if your gf went behind your back and talked like that to an ex or someone she had/have feelings for. Stop being idiots.

Don't forget that this is anime. It's a different anime for sure, but it's anime nonetheless. People are used to extremely faithful girls and drama is most often misunderstandings and nothing more. When stuff like this happens it might be a shock if you self insert yourself too heavily. Empathy guys..

In any other anime there would be massive drops for waifu unfaithfullness(?), but this one seems to have created some kind of cult, so i guess the author should be thankful for that.
Sep 10, 2017 4:58 PM

Dec 2010
i dont need to watch whole season to see that she got short hair.. fuck this
Oct 13, 2017 10:27 PM
Sep 2017
Thankfully I dropped this shit before any of that crap.

Senjougahara is really the worst girl.
Oct 14, 2017 8:21 PM

Oct 2017
So, can anyone who read the novels explain what's the relationship beetween Kaiki and Hitagi? And why was she meeting him in secret and flirting with him ? Also I heard that Araragi and they broke up couple of time, was that Kaiki's fault also?
Oct 22, 2017 9:38 PM
Jun 2017
the bond between Senjougahara and Arararagi is romantic love
and NOTHING will change that
Senjougahara would do anything to save Arararagi, including selling herself, she won't think twice about cutting her throat off if it's to save her man. And of course, this go both way
in the situation with Nadeko, Arararagi method would just go and persuade Nadeko, and we see how that work out
so Hitagi step in, ask for professional help
now, if Kaiki ask for her body as payment, she'd probably do it. But that doesn't change the fact that she love Arararagi
- but Before anything, let just take a step back and acknowledge that Senjougahara Knew what kinda men Kaiki was. it sort of subdue, but i think it imply that Kaiki and Senjougahara used to be in a relationship
nothing wrong with it really. You could even say that she used him to get themselves out of the situation with Nadeko
Aug 14, 2018 7:26 PM

Oct 2014
Romeo said:

**** 6) Before he's going to Sengoku to tell her that Araragi etc. died, Kaiki and Senjougahara have one more phone call.
He doesn't need any information, he's not asking for anything. And still, she asks Kaiki: "Do you want to see/meet me one last time?"

It's obviously B. I'm also disturb that Senjougahara ask Kaiki this. She clearly wants the D.
Jul 25, 2019 1:45 AM

May 2015
Never liked Senjougahara. She always act by impulse.
I prefer any other Monogatari girl than her.
I wanted Mayoi for Araragi. She's the most precious girl in this show.
Aug 30, 2019 9:10 AM
Aug 2019
I am glad I'm not the only one who lost interest in her after that arc. Aaragi's harem bs is entertaining in a cartoony way. Yet she never acts in the same cartoony manner. Her choices are typically precise and planned vs Aaragi always being a perv. She continually contacts the same man behind his back while simultaneously scolding him for trying to save the world behind her back....
Sep 25, 2019 11:45 AM

May 2015
Lol, I always disliked her and never understood what's so great about her but this arc made her just slightly a little bit more likable for me. I still dislike the fact she's with Araragi and that they are supposedly in love while having zero chemistry together. But Hitagi x Kaiki? Oh boy, I can ship that.
Nov 28, 2019 7:50 PM
Nov 2019
ronri said:
Romeo said:
"but even the fact that she would have sex with Kaiki doesn't make her a whore"

what? that's exactly what she'd be..

Except that didn't happen anyway so regardless of her intention, none of her propositions ever truly materialized. And seriously, calling out those who have literally been threatened to DEATH by an all-powerful snake god just because they're desperate to live and save their loved ones somehow makes them immoral and deserving of criticism and blatant slut-shaming? No offense, but you need to get your priorities straight if you're seriously basing your argument on that.
well ,however we view it ,the word "slut" or "whore" is what you call someone who sells her body for money ,i hate it too but its used for that purpose only
Nov 28, 2019 8:13 PM
Nov 2019
Romeo said:
hmn.. maybe i should watch it again later, i was actually pretty confident in my memory :D

i thought it went like this:

K: "this is going to be our last phone call.. blablabla"

S: "Kaiki, i feel lonely knowing this is going to be our last phone call"

and then later she asks

"do you want to meet one last time?" (her looking sad while saying that)

he says "No.."

and then there's an internal monologue which goes like this:
"there's no way she truly wanted to see me..... right?"

maybe i had shitty subs or i'm simply remembering wrong. will have to check later/tomorrow.
(last phone call before he visits Sengoku to deceive her)
you are right it was exactlly like that, i understand what those guys are getting at but heyy read this..
Body selling makes one automatically a slut ,at last that word is created for that purpose.
They say she was saying those things to insult him(by flitring),but she was flirting too much .
One said "when she said i would sell my body ,she was telling that she thinks that low of kaiki" ,but was telling her collor of panties really necessary?
She allways told him how much she hates and thinks low of him ,was ther need to tell him that just to tell him that she thinks low of him ? No ,she could have told him casually ,trying to sell her body ? come on ,that thing should not cross some girl head
While Araragi was going everyday to Nadako and almost dying everyday along with Shinobu ,every single day he was heavly hurt by Nadeko ,Senjougahara was going into dates with kaiki everyday ,cant the discuss it and explan the plan in the beginning ,other times they saw each other were unnecessary ?
Going out on days ,talking on phone late nights? this has only one way .
Kanbaru was allways naked for araragi ,but it never crossed his mind doing something to her ,even thought kanbaru asked him to have sex ,and kanbaru(demon hand) was assulting araragi everynight but araragi solved it in his own ,he did not try to sell his body .
I am fan of gahara but i admit it she overdid it there quite a bit .

dude there were soo many comments trying to tell gabara was doing the right thing ,i did not know who should i reply first soo i replied to you insteed :p
Nov 29, 2019 4:31 AM
Nov 2019
ronri said:
No seriously, watch it again. I don't get where you're coming from by thinking that Senjougahara was being genuine in her offer. Kaiki literally recognizes how she's just patronizing him, and for once he just decides to play along with her jokes until he gets sick of it by the end. The closest endearing moment in that entire conversation was how Senjougahara laughed at how Kaiki played along with her remarks, something that even Kaiki found a bit creepy since it was a sign of her old (more violent) self.

Here's the conversation straight from the subtitles:

Senjougahara: "But Kaiki... It does make me a bit lonely to think I'll only have two more conversations with you including this one..."

[Kaiki monlogue] Senjougahara was saying something she obviously didn't mean. Do you think you can fool me with something like that? That's the type of insulting feeling I got, and so I... [cont'd]

Kaiki: "That's how I feel too. To get in close contact with you like this made me remember two years ago. It was rather fun."

[Kaiki continued monologue]... said something that I obviously didn't mean as well or maybe it was just something completely heartless.

Senjougahara: *laughs*

[Kaiki monologue] So eerie. She never laughed like that-- No, that was her two years ago. She's different now. More different than a complete stranger.

Senjougahara: "Of course I think I will have a toast with Araragi. But, Kaiki, perhaps I need to give you something in thanks. You want to meet me one last time?"

Kaiki: "No, there's no need for that. Quit with the bad jokes."

So rest assured, Senjougahara wasn't making a genuine offer to spend time with him. More than anything, she was poking fun at him which ended with Kaiki playing along until he himself got sick of it.
wasn't she joking a bit too much ? Wasn't she insulting a bit too much ? She could insult him in other ways ,ex Kaiki i think good of you.With this she could tell him that she thinks down on him or something like this, but even if she meant to insult him, for us who ship senjougahara from the beginning its kind of heavy or kind of dissapointment, araragi were visiting nadeko everyday and she beated him up almost to death everyday and nadeko considered killing him earlier sometimes ,senjougahara thay i know would not allow something like that and she would go crazy ,instead she slowly took her time with kaiki .
Yes, Koyomi spend a lot of good time with other girls but Nadeko and Hachikuji were children they dont count ,Shinobu was bound with Koyomi and if Koyomi would leave her ,she would destroy the world ,Hanekawa was considered to be Senjougahara's master ,at least gahara thought of her in that way ,Kanbaru was someone that gahara brought to the story ,and when Koyomi asked Gahara about Kanbaru ,she was almost taking his eyeball out with a pencil, and when she knew araragi hung out with them five she told him if you do it again I will kill them all even when she knew Koyomi only loves her ,and now she goes out with Kaiki and late night calls ,cant they just have some plan without going ou everyday?
Jan 15, 2020 6:53 AM

Jun 2009
Romeo said:
only for people who have finished watching this anime
there will be no "TL;DR".. so if it's too long for you, simply stay out of this topic :)
So.. let me get straight to the point. After finishing the last arc (Hitagi End) a few days ago.. I'm really disappointed by the "development" of Senjougahara.

+ let's not forget that she said something along the lines of: "Kaiki, I feel lonely knowing that this is going to be our last conversation"

Why do I think that "b" would also be a possibility?
- First.. the way she asked him was kind of weird.. Something was definitely being implied there.

- Senjougahara lied the whole time and was dishonest towards Araragi in this arc. Clearly we don't know what she's truly capable of.

and most important of all.. it's because of something she said to Araragi (it was in Nisemonogatari, i believe)

Back then.. she told Araragi that she doesn't think of sleeping with someone else as betrayal/cheating. Or that she doesn't think of it as something unforgivable or bad. She would just not allow him to fall in love with someone else, that's something she couldn't forgive.
That's what she thinks about it. Those are her beliefs. Therefore it doesn't just apply to Araragi, but also to her as well. ****

-----------------

Obviously it's just an anime, but it's a place to discuss anime.. so I figured: "Why not make a topic and see what other people think about the "development" of this particular character.

Before all this she was actually my favorite character in Monogatari.. by far

I just finished rewatching this whole season and I have to agree with you.... she is cheating on Araragi plain and simple .... she kept in contact with him this whole month from 1st Jan until 1st Feb they kept talking almost every day mostly at night, even on the same day when Senjougahara and her dad visited Araragi House and met his parents for the introduction of the families because it was a serious relation between Araragi and Senjougahara .... Yet Senjougahara had that phone call with Kaiki during that visit.
Even the anime staff, Nishio Ishin and director they wanted to convey to viewers that idea that Senjougahara Hitagi being unfaithful towards Araragi Go check Epsiode 25 at 11 min 13 sec:
That's the sign they put below during Hitagi last call to Kaiki when she mentioned she wanna give him something in thanks and and she said "You want to meet me one last time?"

So after seen that sign there is no room for speculation. she was cheating Araragi with her ex man that;s why she didn't want to raise any suspicions even when Kaiki asked her to convince Araragi to stop visiting the shrine afterwards.

Jun 12, 2020 7:21 PM
May 2014
I think others may have answered this better than me, like tsudecimo page 1 or hpulley in the other thread but since some people misunderstand, jump to conclusions or maybe sometimes troll I'll bite, sorry for the lengt:

First we need to say that in Monogatari, characters may be wrong or lie. Kaiki when talking, may lie or deceive even more than other characters.

In Nise, before meeting Kaiki, Senjougahara was preparing the weapons to kill him and says to Araragi :

“It’s not only for your sake. Kaiki is…just something that I need to settle.”

"Back then, she probably hadn’t even been able to hate Deishu Kaiki. Because that’s the kind of aberration the crab was.
That had to be Senjogahara’s regret.
Deishu Kaiki, the ominous Deishu Kaiki─she hadn’t been able to hate him in real time."

The reason she needs to settle things now is that before, when she was under the effect of the crab, she was unable to deal with her issues but also more generally repressed her feelings.

The crab oddity's name, omoshikani is a pun with "weight" and "emotion,affection,sentiment,etc"(omoi) which reinforces the idea that she was unable nor to love nor to hate.

Kaiki says that Senjougahara had a crush on him: "don’t hold a grudge against me in your exertions to be devoted to your current boyfriend. Let me repeat myself: the past is no more than the past. There is no value in overcoming─or overtaking it."

(The part regarding the past is definitely about her past trauma, probably in particular about the man who tried to rape her and died according to Kaiki)

The answer from Senjougahara when Araragi questions her if she had a crush on him is "of course not (but) at that point in my life, I probably would have thought of anybody who tried to help me, whoever it was, as a prince. So I’d be lying if I said I didn’t look favorably on that fraud at all.”

However, the effect of the crab didn't allow her to have emotions.

“The thought makes me sick. I’m so glad─it was you who saved me.”

The thought that the old her (that she despises) could have fallen for him if he was the one who saved her and if Araragi was not present. She is happy that it's Araragi..

Also :
“After seeing Kaiki, I can understand why you disliked Oshino so much.”
“I disliked Mister Oshino─I hate Kaiki. There’s a big difference.”

These exchanges are important since :
1 : Senjougahara admits that she "looked favorably" on him
2 : At that time she hates him, notably for what he has done to her family
(Note the tense used : the past for Oshino, the present for Kaiki)
3 : That she is glad that she was saved by Araragi and not by Kaiki

Please note that she was indeed saved by Araragi in Bake whether he accepts it or not even though we can argue that she saved herself and he only helped.

The next dialogue is also important :

“Oh, right, by the way. Before we leave, what’s this request of yours? You can’t just foreshadow and then forget about it. To be honest, I’m on pins and needles here. What in the world do I have to do?”
“Nothing major. Maybe, like that swindler said, it wasn’t worth putting an end to. But as far as I’m concerned, I just settled with my past.”

Settling with her past is settling with the conflicting feelings she may have had about him(positive view and hatred that she couldn't feel back then because of the crab)
We know for sure that she hates him (maybe less later on since he helps them and Sengoku),and wanted to hate him earlier, when he tore her family apart, but that she also had first a positive feeling about him.

In Koimonogatari/Hitagi's End :

I feel the need to repeat that Kaiki is a particularly unreliable narrator and that both the author and the narrator warned us about that and that lies and truth are probably mixed. (Even the op,..)

It has already been said that Senjougahara wears a mask, from the beginning , this should tell us volume about the rest of this arc:

What she said to Kaiki that can shock was either sarcastic or to appeal to his "guilt", and Kaiki himself didn't take it seriously.

Moreover, I think this arc is not the closure for Senjougahara's past, it was done in Nise, it is I think one where she manages to hold her own vs Kaiki and save Araragi by swallowing her pride asking the person she hates for help.

About the screencap mentionned above :
In the LN, we can see more how the character talks and why, And at that moment there is nothing the implies a cheating.
When it shows, Kaiki tells Senjou to lie to him, to which she replies that she cannot and that if she tried he would see through her. So to conclude from that that she cheated on him is just nonsense.

Also :
(In Owari,

In the end, she asks him if he actually thought that 2 years ago she loved him. She implies that she duped him.

I would not take anything as it is, however, since Senjougahara was under the effect of the Crab, it is possible, since she was without emotions, was not even able to love, as she was not even able to hate him.

Also, we know for a fact that Kaiki actually failed multiple times to "understand" something important :
With Senjougahara's family, his actions made things worse, then only managed to fix it by making the parents divorce.

He didn’t understand what happened with the letter in his hotel room.

With Nadeko : she never believed him so he didn't manage to successfully lie to her and told her that Araragi died in a car accident when she was almost killing him regularly..

Moreover, he said he viewed her as an apprentice, so it is very plausible that she indeed managed to deceive him.

To be more complete, in Owari,

Conversation between Kaiki and Yotsugi Ononoki that was previously sent by Gaen :
“Is someone else’s girlfriend that important to you?” An odd thing to say─I guess hanging out with the wrong crowd warps your personality. “Someone else’s girlfriend─and your former woman?”
“Seems like you’ve got the wrong impression. Not that I care to correct you.”
Best to let people’s misunderstandings be. An aberration’s too, for that matter.

We obviously know there was something between them, however the nature of the relationship is debatable:
Hachikuji suggests that they were more or less a pair, the way it is phrased seems to indicate that they were not necessarily dating.
Also it was said in hell to "fix" and provoke Araragi to not be entirely altruistic and to want things : he answers that he would catch Senjougahara every time.

Ononoki also said that they were together, however Kaiki simply denies it.

Regarding their relationship, Kaiki thought the following :
Because upon reflection, Senjogahara had been like my apprentice, even if only for a little while, when it came to b.s.

Senjougahara says to Kaiki :
“Right, but… He has some misconceptions about my relationship with you.”
“Misconceptions?”
“He’s under the mistaken impression that you were my first love. Thanks to your unwelcome, or should I say, malicious lies.”

The 2 concerned characters both say/think that they were not dating nor in love...

Also in Bake :
“By the way, Araragi-kun,” said Senjougahara. “Did you know that I have never broken up with a guy?”

Whether their relationship was more or less romantic, friendship or more "familial",in the end, its nature doesn't even matter but it seems if anything it was definitely platonic one (crab stopping emotions + apprentice etc) specially since they didn't have physical contact..

TLDR:

-Senjougahara had a positive view on Kaiki, probably not love(duped?+crab) (IMO : Definitely not even close to love or crush)
-Kaiki also had a positive view on Senjougahara
-She then hated him
-She hates her old self
-She leveraged his guilt his Koimonogatari to help Araragi and her
-No cheating has occured you can keep calm....

In my opinion the only question that is not totally answered regarding the nature of their past relationship is whether they were more or less romantically "together" or not.

Most of the previous details and since she was 15 and he was around 30 and more importantly afflicted with the Crab's power, should give us a few hints about their alleged relationship.
If I had to give my opinion, I don't think they were even close to being actually together romantically but had some kind of platonic one (apprentice etc)

Finally to alleviate some crazy things I read, there is absolutely no reason to think she was not a virgin like she said, specially because of the Crab and her trauma..

Also in Owari it

Not that I have a favourite ship.
ArchZero0Jul 21, 2020 3:10 AM
Jun 18, 2020 11:45 AM
May 2020
This arc is narrated by Kaiki. We don’t know how much of it is a lie or not.
Jun 19, 2020 3:18 AM
May 2014
katzurap said:
This arc is narrated by Kaiki. We don’t know how much of it is a lie or not.

Exactly, this arc is supposed to also be a troll one by the author and he succeeded.

That's why I gave information from other arc :
- Bake for her background (like having no emotions because of the crab) and

- Nise where Kaiki showed up and Senjougahara et Araragi talked about it which gives us better information to understand what COULD be true and what not.

Not having a crush on him but having first a positive view on him, then hating him and being disgusted that potentially, she could have loved him, and being glad that Araragi "saved", meaning she loves Araragi and is happy that it was HIM and not Kaiki.

> what was false for Kaiki was true for Araragi

- In Owari

That's why I spent so much time giving information in the previous post, just to stop misconceptions or errors.

ArchZero0Jul 13, 2020 1:09 PM
Jul 5, 2020 10:50 PM
Jun 2015
After watching this arc i know that Hitagi's feeling for Koyomi is so great that she will do anything for her love
Jul 26, 2020 3:53 AM
Jul 2020
zeus-faber said:
So, can anyone who read the novels explain what's the relationship beetween Kaiki and Hitagi? And why was she meeting him in secret and flirting with him ? Also I heard that Araragi and they broke up couple of time, was that Kaiki's fault also?

Yeah I also heard they broke up a few times. Also heard she dated someone else for a bit but don't know if this credible or not just read it somewhere. But they do end up together though.
Jul 26, 2020 7:22 AM
Apr 2018
Verde77 said:
zeus-faber said:

Yeah I also heard they broke up a few times. Also heard she dated someone else for a bit but don't know if this credible or not just read it somewhere. But they do end up together though.

She is neither flirting nor does have a romantic interest in kaiki since she has met koyomi.
Nope she didn't date anyone else. We all know how much she loves koyomi even after all the stupid fights and break ups they have.
And yea they sort out their problems together mutually and it is indicated that koyomi is gonna ask hitagi to marry her soon at the end.
Kipo0007Jul 26, 2020 7:28 AM
Jul 26, 2020 7:25 AM
Jul 2020
Kipo0007 said:
Verde77 said:

She is neither flirting nor does have a romantic interest in kaiki since she has met koyomi.
Nope she didn't date anyone else. We all know how much she loves koyomi even after all the stupid fights and break ups they have.
And yea it is indicated that koyomi is gonna ask hitagi to marry her soon at the end.

Cool thanks for clarifying
Dec 2, 2020 10:14 PM
Apr 2020
Yes I believe it contradicts her development from bake and pretty much agree with most of what you said. I couldn't let it slide. I specifically searched for this forum to see if I was the only one and thank god my thoughts were validated here.
Dec 9, 2020 3:00 PM
Dec 2019
Naah i like her just as much as i did before,only charecter on whome my view changed would be kaiki
Jun 2, 2021 4:46 AM
May 2014
I'll just add that since Senjougahara was afflicted with the crab oddity that prevents feelings, we know she never loved before Araragi...
Also it was a bit confirmed in a short story where she says that she never thought she would be able to fall in love and that it was a miracle.
Here Kaiki thought for a bit she was talking about him but we know and understand t's Araragi.

So it's actually very possible that Kaiki actually mistakenly thought she liked him, since he often misreads others' state of mind or tried to 'lie' to us.

The author wrote that he wrote that arc in a bad taste humour and the narrator told us he would lie to us, so we need hard fact to check what could be true for sure or false for sure.

And yeah, it was designed to rattle people and Kaiki is a really great character but I think we have hard fact that helps us discern the truth..I see their interactions there as one poking fun almost insulting the other, tho it's probably twisted by Kaiki

In the end, the crab preventing feelings is a hard fact so we know she never 'loved' before getting rid of the crab and at that time, Araragi was already her hero.

And that's for the past, before bake and bake.
For koimonogatari, the narrator trolls us but it's obvious there is no 'ntr' or 'love affair'.
ArchZero0Jun 3, 2021 6:47 AM
Aug 12, 2021 6:47 AM

Aug 2020
From what I understood from the first page and this page in this thread, I am pretty sure that it's all due to an unreliable narrator.

Honestly I don't know what the fuck NISIO was thinking when he write this. He probably trolled those who can't understand behind context. But seriously, this season already lacked Senjougahara and NISIO making her look bad is really hurting to me.
Mfs here start to call her "whore, bitch.." because of this faulty narrator.....

On top of this, the Shinobu and Tsubasa wankers start pouring oil over the fire to already make Hitagi look bad is seriously pathetic. Hope, these mfs get their basic education about kaiki and Hitagi relationship and learn how these two girls are below Hitagi in every way possible.
Aug 12, 2021 1:57 PM

Jan 2021
Meh, my opinion of her never really changed. She’s ok, but Hanekawa, Shinobu, Yotsugi, and even Sengoku are all miles better than her.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Aug 20, 2021 8:46 AM
May 2014
Weebslayerr69 said:
I was gonna watch this season today but I dropped it because of some of these reasons, I didn't really like Senjougahara since I saw her, she's always been annoying and a very unlikable character. She seems to take advantage of Araragi and doesn't seem to love him, she obviously has bad habits and beliefs like the sleeping with somebody else thing. I can't believe I had to drop a whole anime just because if one annoying character smh I wish she wasn't part of this series, that's probably why I enjoyed kizumonogatari, even shinobu was a better character than Senjougahara is in this anime, I wish the main girl and most popular girl was Hanekawa, she's really likeable and seems to really care about Araragi, she's way better.

Man... She never slept with someone else even the 'wrong over interpretation' doesn't say that(she was a virgin before Araragi). And she shows that she totally did not take advantage of Araragi, she goes to great lengths for him and her relationship and she gets sweeter...
Also it would be a shame since it's a great series and romance is not the main theme at all..
Aug 22, 2021 11:03 AM

Apr 2021
Now that I've read your post, it was kinda pissing me off how she was flirting with him. Even Kaiki was uncomfortable
I love Monogatari Series
Aug 23, 2021 4:28 PM
May 2014
aktiwkunn said:
Now that I've read your post, it was kinda pissing me off how she was flirting with him. Even Kaiki was uncomfortable

Which post ? Also did you read all comments? Some are quite good interpretation, specially when you know that the narrator explicitly told u to doubt what he narrates..

Finally, no she was not really 'flirting', at least from my interpretation.
Jan 31, 2022 12:45 AM

Jan 2017
After this arc, I won't ship Senjougahara and Araragi as a couple anymore. Hopefully by the end of this series, they split up and she end up with Kaiki because clearly her heart lies with him.

That prostituition line was totally unexpected from her, my respect for her has clearly fallen.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Feb 3, 2022 4:20 PM
Aug 2021
With nowadays women you guys gonna get fucked up by them for calling senjou whore,bitch xdxd
Aug 25, 2022 8:01 AM

May 2018
Never liked her and never understood the reason why people like her either. Not even a little bit.
She is not interesting to watch and her personality is absolute garbage.
Being an abusive b*tch isn't attractive or charming.
If she was a real person I'd have hold back the urge to punch her in the face.
Feb 18, 2023 1:53 PM
Jul 2022
Well....everyone....im not willi'g to get a straight uo violent a'swer to this post cuz you guys seems like very intelligent people with relevant things to say, which is not my case but why not just ask to NishioIshin?🤣
Apr 1, 2023 12:28 PM
Jan 2021
Well she is a slut tbh and comparing it to araragi is apples to oranges because a woman cheating is worse than a man cheating since a woman always knows the child is hers but the man doesnt. Even if women dont like to hear that but its just fact.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

101 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

723 by Yubisoft »»
Apr 16, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

245 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 12, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

204 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2013

222 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 3:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.