Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2009 11:45 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Y'know, I thought Mars of Destruction was bad. But, at least it had the decency to last only 20 minutes. Good god, I can't come up with any redeeming qualities for Apocalypse Zero, other than the fact that it made me laugh at its ridiculousness and utter stupidity. But, I can't decide if I should give it a 1 or 2. I want to give it a 1, but it is watchable as hard as it is.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 13, 2009 5:03 PM

Feb 2009
Apocalypse Zero is a fantastic post-apocalyptic fighting series. If you knew more about it than the brief snippet that is offered in the (TOO SHORT) anime, maybe you wouldn't be so thoughtlessly harsh on it.

Than again, probably not. After-all, hardly anyone can just sit down and appreciate a good old cheesy fighting oriented anime show these days. Allot of modern anime viewers are the epitome of pretentious in that take things WAY too seriously. They can't just sit back and laugh their ass of at some silly exaggerated splatter-fest or something from time to time.

Anyway, back on topic... this was a great episode, but it is NOT the end. Harara only seems defeated, the series is just like 1/5 through.
Dec 11, 2009 9:32 PM

Jun 2009
I agree that Apocalypse Zero could only be considered watchable because it's over-the-top corniness makes it hilarious at times. They can't have thought up a "double big tit bomb" attack and expected it to be taken seriously.

Still, I think that the rest of the anime negates most of that benefit. The plot, for example, was literally laughable. The protagonists tranny brother kills their father and steals the power of Zero Form to join the monster EPA in killing all humans. Who the hell came up with that? I won't give it a 1/10 since that spot is reserved for the anime which sets the standard for awfulness. This anime may be bad but at least it's still not that bad.
Dec 21, 2009 4:39 AM

Oct 2009
People made it out to be the worst thing ever, but I thought it was fairly decent.
I've certainly seen alot worse than this.
Also, him slapping the girl off the counter = priceless. 6/10
May 9, 2010 7:23 PM
Nov 2008
I enjoyed it...even if the story doesn't make any sense, and the ending left a loooooot of plot holes...the animation, the voice acting, the good old battles, and the music were really good. Even the armour was really awesome.

You people hate it 'cause the enemies used their private parts as weapons, but I find that hilarious, and besides, they are demons. And what do you expect, that they will attack you with some childrens card game?, bah.

This anime is even better than the crap we get today in japanese animation (like Code Geass and that commercial crap). I miss the cheesy fights and speeches, and really well animated fight scenes. It's a shame that there are no more episodes, 'cause I wanted to know what happened to the sister of Kakugo, but well you can't have everything.

I give it a 7/10, 'cause when Kakugo slapped the nurse demon, I really lol'd.
Jun 10, 2010 9:18 PM

Dec 2009
I guess I'm the only one who thought this was FREAKIN AWESOME!

I really miss the masculine protagonist character, a lot of anime shows today have wimps and PABs as the heroes. This anime though says, "screw all those homosexuals, we are gonna strap our shit up and kick some ass!"

I would give it a 10/10, but I've been giving them out too much lately and I heard it screws up the rating system, so I gave it an 8/10
Jun 13, 2011 5:56 AM

Feb 2009
This was seriously entertaining.

Bitch trying to seduce you. Slap her.
Bitch cleaning your desk. "Oh my god, I guess I developed feelings for her."
Classy.
Jul 25, 2011 2:23 PM
Jul 2011
For all the flack this OVA got I was expecting much worse. It was not that bad at all. Pretty much an hour worth of Mask Rider-ish gory entertainment. The only problem with it is that there was obviously much more story to tell but it cut off short. I was expecting a better final battle with both of the main characters in their Zero Armor suits.

Kakugo slapping the nurse was worth watch of the series alone.
Dec 11, 2011 6:27 AM

Jul 2009
LOL!

Oh, wait... This isn't a parody? This is srs?

LOLZ HARDER!!!!

Random thought - if Apocalypse Zero and Mars of Destruction were popular, 26 ep tv series, then I bet they would've been classics, with thousands of mindfuck-loving fanboys.
Mar 19, 2013 4:02 AM

Feb 2008
Holy fucking... just... I cannot believe something so horrid and disgusting can exist. I really can not think of a single story that I have hated more in my life than this. There is no merit, no appeal-- it is just utter, revolting filth. The entire experience was an actual nightmare for me. Mental torture, even, and had it been a single minute longer I would have closed the damn episode, deleted it from hard drive, and forget I ever set eyes upon it. Wait, that's exactly what I did. Minus the forgetting part, because this abomination is going to haunt my memories.

Right now I genuinely wish a score of zero was available on MAL. It does not even deserve a 1.
Apr 16, 2014 6:06 AM

Jan 2011
Crazy Dick Monsters: The Animation

It's hard to tell if this wants to be a parody or taken seriously, a bit of both maybe.
Jun 22, 2014 6:46 PM

May 2012
I actually quite liked this silly yet intense action, all in all it's a better ova than first thought!
Jan 9, 2015 7:24 AM

Mar 2013
This one has Kouichi Yamadera as the MC, Megumi Ogata as the antagonist, an ensemble of some of the most talented voice actors of its era, and freaking Hironobu Kageyama sings the theme song; and yet most people have rated it an 1.

And yeah, I know it is an endorsement of mediocrity in every other aspect (Still not 1/10 material, though, but rather a solid 5/10), but at least give it a bit of credit to where all of the budget obviously went to.
Oct 19, 2016 11:26 PM
Mar 2012
Fairly well animated fights, creative designs tho often too grotesque to watch with lunch. Faces look full derp tho maybe style of that era.
Fun random plot & silly narrator, 56% huh? Confused on the sibling's gender till they explained the suit turned bro a sis. Good mix of comedy, action & designs rarely found in modern shows.
Awesome slap
Nov 2, 2016 12:51 PM

Sep 2012
The part where the dad fights Harara... was that a third set of special armor he was wearing?
"There is no knowledge that is not power" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mar 20, 2018 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
pretty grotesque and needed more episodes. had a really good start (the first 4 minutes) but i did not expect this much graphic violence
Dec 23, 2018 11:05 PM

Sep 2018
I really disliked the first episode but liked this one a fair bit. I feel like the people that hate on this just don't get japanese style lewd humor.
Apr 12, 2019 6:23 PM

Oct 2015
I wonder if Harara is truly dead, because he/she didn't open their eyes at the end? If he/she did then that was the weakest final battle ever!

But overall I enjoyed it a lot, funny as hell. The show broke barriers that were strangely sexual, meaning the fanservice. That was a complete different fanservice and over the top too, but it was funny nevertheless. Kakugo was a good hero and that Armor Zero was badass.

This was bad, but it is one of those guilty pleasures I will forever regret. 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 26, 2019 2:57 PM
Sep 2016
I wanted to write a review for this, but... I simply lack words? This anime is pure chaos, I couldn't describe any other way if anyone asked me to.
It's horrible, absurd and absolutely fantastic in itself, the only thing that matches it is Mad Bull 34.
May 10, 2020 6:22 PM
May 2019
I actually enjoyed this. Though, that’s probably because of the obscure humour, for the most part anyway. It’s pretty bland otherwise.
May 24, 2020 8:20 AM

Jul 2011
I can never unsee what I have just witnessed.

2/10
Check out my anime reviews or my pet will get you: Mezase Pokémon Master
Jul 12, 2020 7:35 PM

Apr 2020
Based watch, too bad we'll never see the rest adapted. 7/10
"I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ideal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I never die with regrets."
Sep 26, 2021 2:42 PM

Aug 2016
For how many people who seem to like this, I'm surprised it still has such a low score. Even shit like MD Geist, which I've seen absolutely nobody defend, has a score that's fairly higher.

This show was cool, might read the manga.
Mar 9, 2022 10:51 AM
Jun 2021
This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. 10/10
Oct 26, 2023 3:05 PM

Jan 2013
The MC was a total chad. Slapping hoes for impurity and falling in love over a girl cleaning his desk!
Nov 8, 2023 10:59 AM

Oct 2018
Couple of questions from the first episode are answered here. If Harara fought him with his own armour, it should be easier to kill him but of course, that's not possible as we won't be able to see the tits with the armour on. Seems like the show got cancelled too. Was this conclusion made with that in consideration or it was intended like that from the beginning?

I also see a lot of people argue about the low score here, is it because of some youtuber bandwagoning?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Apocalypse Zero Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 23, 2009

19 by Etherius_ZS »»
Nov 8, 2023 10:05 AM

» Did anyone else enjoy this?

busterbeam - Sep 16, 2010

23 by TeeRaySays »»
Mar 31, 2023 10:28 PM

» This ova is actually misunderstood

nachomaxo1 - Jan 31, 2020

13 by nachomaxo1 »»
Sep 9, 2021 1:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.