Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2014 11:58 PM

May 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn perfect episode, RIP Mime.

Oct 21, 2014 9:09 PM

Dec 2012
How dumb can Shun be?! He literally almost left Ikki to die...
Apr 1, 2018 4:28 PM

Jun 2016
After some thought, I've realized what cosmos is in writing, it's the will to fight for true justice to put it bluntly. That along with every part of that of course, self sacrifice, courage, perseverance, teamwork, love, hope, friendship. This meaning power levels are often dictated by the worldview of the people who are fighting. This itself isn't a bad thing since Saint Seiya is often about cheesy moral messages and it does them excellently in a weirdly intelligent analysis of justice. With this often being a major focus, it makes sense to make the better worldview and the truer justice the one that wins. If the characters were stronger without them or if it was all strategy then it would become might is right which is the opposite of what Saint Seiya wants.

In some fights the cosmos is too much because the fight itself is practically one side losing until they power up enough to win. The messages, characters, and ideas around that fight can be good but the guys punching each other will be unsatisfying in those cases, for a recent example Seiya vs Thor. In some cases it's mostly strategy such as Shiryu vs Argol which doesn't counter the themes and goal(in my mind) of Saint Seiya because the point of that fight wasn't to look at Argol's views and counter them, but to show the admirable self sacrifice that should be done in the face of evil to allow justice to prevail. And some fights such as this one, or one such as Ikki vs Shaka blend these beautifully.

This fight in particular was one of Shun struggling to put a dent in Mime, and Ikki struggling to keep up and speaking to his heart to free him from his hatred. We saw Ikki prevail and escape from the Requiem of Death with his cosmos, and later he told Mime that no matter the technique, someone without hope could never surpass Ikki's cosmos. Hope being the ability to fight against all the greed, evil, pain and sadness in the world with your partners. To cherish what you have with them and the world. If they believe in this they can fight every fight with confidence and every dream can be realized!

I would like to expand briefly on what i mean by the intelligent way Saint Seiya explores world views and different justice. We get honest and respected views and arguments from opponents points, taking this fight for example "life is a perpetual cycle of hate and war, we shouldn't cherish it!", and Ikki's counter point of "we need to cherish our friends and what we have to fight for them, and when we do this anything is possible! Even if all we do is but drops in the ocean, those drops would cease to exist otherwise, so fight!". Or one of my favorites from Death Mask, "The winner is the one who is moral! Justice belongs to the victor!", and Old Master's rebuttal that "True justice never dies!". I think you can view nearly all of the battles in Saint Seiya in this way, it's simple and cheesy but it's great and is a lot more telling than most less-simple stories. As an analysis of what is good, and what is justice, and how we should aim to act, and what to fight for, I think Saint Seiya is a master of this.

Weird episode to write this all on, but I wanted to get it out and I thought Mime proved the point well. It's something I've grown to love about the series.

Seeing Ikki tangled in the Requiem was kind of horrifying, it reminded me of back in one of the first episodes where Geki choked Seiya. The struggling, the armor cracking, the constricting noises, it was awful!

The worst thing about Ikki possibly dying here is that I wanted to know where he was and why he was so late!
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsApr 2, 2018 4:25 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite Gold Saint?

removed-user - Aug 12, 2022

18 by Ex-Aid »»
Yesterday, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 104 Discussion

Albi-kun - Mar 19, 2015

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 23, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 105 Discussion

Monad - Dec 9, 2013

7 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 23, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 112 Discussion

Monad - Jan 13, 2014

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 111 Discussion

jr_paperbag - May 27, 2012

3 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 10:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.