Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 24, 2015 7:11 PM

Oct 2010
Still one of my favourite episodes of the series. It showed that despite Ginko's wealth of knowledge as a Mushishi there is still only so much he can do. It was really sad to see the guy blame himself for his family's death when there was nothing he could've possibly done. You can't blame the Mushi either, as it simply wanted to survive by attaching itself to a host. A very solemn episode, and as usual the music was fantastic.
Feb 6, 2015 5:42 PM

Jan 2014
i guess ginko cant save everyone... pretty depressing episode

these episodes kinda remind me of legends/little stories... i could totally picture coming across a book in the library called "Tales of the Mushi, and Other Fantastical Stories"
Feb 28, 2015 6:04 AM
Dec 2011
Poor man ..
Mar 17, 2015 8:23 AM

Aug 2014
Another nice little story of Ginko's travels.
This one had a better plot than the others.
This show is soooo chill
Apr 1, 2015 1:02 AM
Nov 2014
Damn the feels in this episode....poor guy, lost his family due to the bad dreams he kept having. And at the end he killed himself with the sword he was gifted by one of the villagers.

Very deep ep, I liked it!
Apr 12, 2015 1:28 PM
Apr 2015
Glad to see a case that Ginko couldn't solve. Must feel bad to have other peoples lives in your hands though. I wonder if Ginko will ever come across the lady who sometimes speaks in the beginning and end of the episodes. Not everything can be a happy ending or it wouldn't be realistic.
Apr 21, 2015 6:56 PM

May 2014
This one is my favorite episode so far. Like others have already said, I love the fact that Ginko doesn't have all the answers, and that it doesn't always end well. It makes the mushi seem a lot more mysterious.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
May 4, 2015 1:31 PM

Jul 2014
wow this was an incredibly tragic episode.
May 15, 2015 4:02 PM

Jul 2014
Good episode. 4/5
Jun 2, 2015 11:58 PM

Nov 2014
That was really depressing. So far the show was dark but peaceful, however combining peaceful with depression is just scary.
For one point, I am glad that guy died, I wanted him to die in a better way but die and rest from the horrible feelings surrounding him. He was a reason for killing the whole village, living with that was certainly painful. Plus, being scared of sleep! I can't imagine how hard his life was.
Jul 15, 2015 6:42 AM

Mar 2015
Very beautiful episode.

I like this series so far, every episode is unique, and it self completely different from another anime's with the spirit connection and stuff
"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside of ourselves and our dreams."
Sep 18, 2015 12:50 AM

Aug 2008
This time the topic was dreams. Also wouldn't Ginko be able to help him or try to see how to fix it when he first met him. I guess if he did the guy probably wouldnt listen because the guy would not want to let go of his 'ability'. Sad he lost everything though.
Apr 2, 2016 9:33 PM

Apr 2009
I don't know how to feel about this episode. T__T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2016 1:54 AM

Oct 2012
Poor guy :(
I think this was the first time it ended tragically
"Signature removed"
Apr 28, 2016 9:00 AM

Dec 2015
My favorite episode so far! The idea was very cool and like everyone said I like that Ginko isn't perfect.
May 6, 2016 8:36 PM
Dec 2014
this episode was very interesting. I really like how the pillow was the pathway for Jin's soul, it's a really interesting concept. as usual, the episode kept the eerie but beautiful tone of the anime. even though Ginko did save Jin, it was sad to see him end his own life that way :(
Jul 17, 2016 1:27 AM

Jan 2016
fell asleep twice watching this
Aug 18, 2016 2:19 AM

Mar 2012
That was depressing as hell. Poor guy loses his daughter which makes him think it was because he took the medicine that didn't let him see prophecies, he ends up not taking the medicine which ends up killing the whole village and then he barely survives cutting the pillow which almost killed him but ended up going insane and committing suicide because he ended up fearing sleep since he could no longer dream.

All of this because of a Mushi which he couldn't even get cured of : /
Sep 3, 2016 7:58 AM

Jul 2015
this is such a beautiful anime :') all the episodes so far have made me feel like crying, even though some have had happy (ish) endings. I definitely wont see life in the same way after this anime...
Oct 21, 2016 6:25 AM

May 2010
Jin's wife is very gentle and refreshing, I like her. Man, I feel bad about him. He really didn't have a choice there. No matter what he did, he was going to lose something.
I got teary-eyed when he took all the medicine and lost the will to live...

So Ginko believes that no one is at blame. And everyone just carry out their roles. Hmm not a bad way of thinking.

Ahh it's in the title! It was the pillow where they sleep. He rushed... Ginko just told him that he can't live without the mushi, he just didn't listen. Still survived tho. At least he was survived. In the process, he learnt the importance of life. and dreams. and then he turned crazy and killed himself. Man...

Ginko sure has a strong mental. He never blames himself despite bearing such a strong responsiblity. I admire him.

Another great episode.
May 28, 2017 1:27 PM

May 2013
Aw :( I liked this episode too. Makes it more realistic. Unfortunately, Gin can't save them all :'( I hope the man found better happiness in the afterlife with the rest of his family and villagers.
Jul 11, 2017 3:01 PM

Jun 2013
I really couldn't get into this one. I tried, I really did. But it was just an unbearably slow descent into despair, and in the end, I didn't feel sad, just tired and annoyed.

I can view this as a subversion of classic tragedy. Wikipedia defines tragedy as "a form of drama based on human suffering that invokes an accompanying catharsis or pleasure in audiences." But this episode had no catharsis at the end. And in my experience, the events of a classic tragedy usually occur because of human error or malice, but here, we get the "no one's fault" message.

And I get it. Often, in real life as well, bad things happen, and it's not really anyone's fault. So I understand what the episode was trying to do. I still feel like it was pointless, though. Depressing for the sake of being depressing.

It's probably because I never got to know the characters who ended up dying, so their deaths didn't mean anything to me. So far, all the episodes revolved around two or three characters who were all at least established with simple characterization, and that was okay. This time the creators escalated the fallout and the scope to such an extent (the entire village is wiped out and the guy kills himself) in a single stand-alone episode, and the moral was "shit happens lol". That's very thin.

The only thing of note I suppose is that sometimes Ginko can't save the day, that his skills have limits, too. And I like that. It would have been far more interesting to see how he learned to deal with that fact (judging by his lack of reaction I assume this wasn't the first time), but whatever. At least this episode looked and sounded just as good as all the previous ones. And I'll give credit for the crumbling moss imagery, that was particularly disturbing.

LeeTailorJul 11, 2017 3:20 PM
Sep 10, 2017 12:57 AM

Jun 2016
I guess this time Ginko didn't able to save the poor guy since his mind was poisoned by fear hence he killed himself. Jeez. That was a scary episode. Where's the horror tag for this anime, maan? Haha.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 27, 2017 8:40 AM

Dec 2015
Rather dark compared to the first three episodes before this, but I don't think I blame the mushi. They're primordial life forms that came before humans, and at this point I don't think viewers should know the reason behind them either.

Nice philosophical bit about the bridge between dreams and reality, and the symbolism of the pillow. The guy cut into his own soul when he cut it, hence he lost his ability to dream and there is 'nothing' for him to fall into when he slept. No surprise that he took his life.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nov 11, 2017 3:19 AM

May 2016
Another great episode wow these life facts are really something else this writer must be a genius. 5/5
Nov 15, 2017 3:24 AM

Oct 2017
The anime is a real breather, I tell you. It's really relaxing and calming and everything. I'm taking a break from my mafia world where everything is noisy and full of foul worlds and this is just the best. The episode is really sad, this shows that he can't solve everything.
Nov 25, 2017 6:06 PM
Nov 2017
This episode was pretty dark. Don't get me wrong, it was a great episode, but as someone who watches this show with their dad, this is probably the only one that I wouldn't want to watch with him (He really doesn't like sad stuff)
Dec 5, 2017 5:50 AM

Dec 2012
Boy, if I had that mushi I'd be so screwed. I have so many morbid dreams.

Really, this is possibly the most depressing episode. As Ginko said, no one and nothing is to blame. That's probably the hardest part to come to terms with. Learning the connection between the pillow and soul was very fascinating. In a way, then, it could be that the sword smith lost his soul the moment he cut the pillow. That there was truly no saving him at that point.
Apr 21, 2018 11:22 AM

Nov 2011
An episode really intense in its sadness, I was very dismayed by the events told.
Mar 2, 2019 4:22 PM

May 2016
I know that these Mushi have impressive powers but it's quite a surprise that they have powers that alter the laws of causality itself by making dreams into a reality. He was the one who caused all of those events only he himself can prevent but that tsunami that killed his daughter just happened to be one of things that...just happens.

It was a tragedy to see him slowly dive down into insanity until he'd lost everything he'd once loved only to reach the point of no return even beyond that. By destroying his ability to dream along with the pillow Mushi, he had forfeit his own soul and emotions as a result. That last part really hit me with the music.

Mar 13, 2019 10:31 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
every episode is so great and different in such important kind of way

Jul 4, 2019 11:12 AM
Apr 2016
So, some Mushi can be insanely dangerous, killing everyone around in an instance. Scary.
Sep 11, 2019 9:11 AM

Sep 2018
Episode from the narrative atmosphere not so dark, but very dramatic, there is no room for any comic moment, leaving the viewer's soul significantly distraught from what happens during the episode. But this is also one of the good things about this anime series.
Nov 30, 2019 7:18 PM

Apr 2014
this was super sad and i wasn't prepared
Jan 12, 2020 6:50 AM
Oct 2019
Wow this is the first sad ending episode. I still think Ginko is very mysterious? Why is he wearing modern clothes and everyone is wearing traditional clothes?
Mar 23, 2020 10:10 PM

Feb 2017
The real tragedy is that the tsunami was not caused by him at all. Merely an unfortunate coincidence that his daughter was lost in that natural disaster.

Mar 24, 2020 3:28 PM

Dec 2019
Oh man that was such a sad episode, in the end he killed himself :/
                                                         🖤   

Mar 31, 2020 12:18 AM

Aug 2018
Sad and tragic episode, yet beautifully shown, the whole mushi conspect seems to be more interesting and better than I first thought
Mar 31, 2020 8:10 PM
Oct 2018
Best episode thus far in my opinion. Very dark yet so peaceful.
May 24, 2020 9:27 PM

Aug 2019
God now that, that was a pretty depressing story this time around. Poor guy, fact it could have happened to anyone but he had to get it is such a 1 in a million and the dude lost everything from it. I guess in the end he couldn't deal with the trauma he went though, don't blame him i doubt many people could.
Just a question on the period this anime is set in, i guess it could be obvious but my guess is modern period? Considering Ginko's clothing is quite modern fashion but we have yet to see any citys and the guy seems to be travelling in the country or between villages a lot.
Jun 27, 2020 6:31 PM

Sep 2017
This episode was amazing. The most important thing it did tho was show us that there's not always gonna be a happy end. This is huge for the viewers preconception about how an episode will end.
Jul 2, 2020 2:27 PM
Apr 2020
Revisiting this episode was another transcending experience. Love the vibrance and the emotional parts. Art.
Nov 7, 2020 11:48 PM

Jun 2020
Tragic.. The music, especially at the end of the episodes is very beautiful, soothing..

Pillow being the link between dream and reality, nice.. I remembered the times when I go to bed at night and am reminded of or have flashes of the mood/atmosphere/images of the dream I had woken up to in the morning. It's not my pillow but :D

This show makes me think of my own physical body, reality of mysterious body in this mysterious world..

Also! The little kids in this show are animated and voiced so cutely..
Nov 11, 2020 12:10 PM

Oct 2019
This episode is getting me no sleep lmao
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Dec 20, 2020 4:00 AM
Dec 2019
Quite different episode unlike other 3 episodes and very sad ending in the end... The music getting over me. I can tell i will create great nostalgia with this show
Jan 17, 2021 12:11 PM

Jun 2019
Felt really bad for the guy. RIP.
Feb 7, 2021 7:31 PM

Aug 2014
not gonna lie, I shed some tears by the end.
Apr 17, 2021 10:23 AM

Jan 2017
This episode was too heavy for me,
I was expecting some kind of a happy ending (as seen in the first three episodes) for the Blacksmith, but he went insane and lost his life.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jul 6, 2021 8:39 AM

Jan 2021
Somehow I can feel Ginko's frustration in this episode, especially when Jin cuts his pillow..

Nice episode.

Feb 9, 2022 12:31 PM
Nov 2020
So far these episodes have been showing worse and worse effects that these mushi have been causing people.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.