Forum Settings
Forums

Enjoy taking screenshots in games? Enjoy winning Amazon giftcards? Well....

Aug 21, 2014 1:13 AM

A site I'm on is hosting a fairly simple contest that I'd like to invite my fellow videogame loving MAL members to take part in! I hope to see some submissions from you guys :)

Information below! (Contest is US residents only sadly)

Link to the contest thread itself.

Be sure to mention you're from MAL and I'll say hi! XD

Aug 21, 2014 1:44 AM

30 dollars worth of prizes. Welcome to the big leagues.

Lack of photoshop sucks but is understandable. My favorite games are not exactly state of the art on graphics so Id feel like I was at a disadvantage.

Would mods that improve a games graphics/rendering count as manipulation subject to disqualification?
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS

Aug 21, 2014 1:53 AM

DerpHole said:
30 dollars worth of prizes. Welcome to the big leagues.

Lack of photoshop sucks but is understandable. My favorite games are not exactly state of the art on graphics so Id feel like I was at a disadvantage.

Would mods that improve a games graphics/rendering count as manipulation subject to disqualification?

Hi, I appreciate your interest in the contest. I am Ciel, the one running the show, and I will try to answer your questions as clearly as possible.

Feel free to use any mods that may be available to a particular game. The GP staff is not necessarily grading a game/screenshot on how it looks. Certainly the visual appeal of an entry is taken into account, but for the most part each entry is regarded on its own terms, within its own parameters. While there is a level of subjectivity at play here, ultimately the goal is to be as objective as possible. So while you may use mods to enhance the quality of low-end games, it is not entirely necessary. In other words, a screenshot is judged less on its knee-jerk appearance and more so on how the participant utilized what was at his or her disposal--how did they use artistic properties and a particular game's engine to his or her advantage? A person could have a pretty looking picture on the serface, but we are looking for more than just looks.

Aug 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Bumpity bump