3It was OK
23.6%
2Disliked it
10.9%
1Hated it
20.0%
Average 3.2
55 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2009 7:21 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ara, why no discussion thread about the Nadesico movie yet, I wonder?

It was pretty good for me. The story was not so exceptional, but I liked this darker version of the usual Nadesico. Also, Ruri as the main character is win, and Akito's change was interesting.
KinetaNov 23, 2012 9:07 AM

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Aug 2, 2010 11:05 AM

Jan 2010
Tenkawa, Akito is dead...
Aug 2, 2010 2:43 PM

May 2009
I actually liked this more than the TV version of Martian Successor Nadesico. The plot was decent enough, at least more exciting than the series, and I liked how it was darker. The lack of Yurika and more Ruri screen time was very welcome. Akito went from annoying to kind of badass.

The new characters were quite nice additions. The improved animation and art made the mecha fights more enjoyable too. Akito's mecha was awesome.
Aug 10, 2010 11:42 AM

Oct 2009
Ruri made this movie...it was pretty much the main reason I gave it a 10
Oct 9, 2010 9:53 PM

Aug 2009
The movie was okay. I agree with Slax's review of the movie,except for the part of you shouldn't watch it.
May 4, 2011 12:35 AM
Dec 2010
Wow this totaly ruined good ending of 1st season .
It wasn't bad just too dark for Nadesico
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Feb 18, 2012 7:15 PM
Sep 2011
I agree with Slax wholeheartedly, although more Ruri-Ruri is always nice, although she didn't call anyone a baka the entire time, which is BS. It feels like the trailer to a season two. DO WANT, although it would need to make Akito steadily go back to his original self. This Akito is a cold prick that feels uber-generic.
Feb 18, 2012 7:30 PM

Sep 2011
yah this movie sucked, looking past it getting pointlessly dark for no reason, its just generic when you get down to it, and they ruin akito's character

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 4, 2012 1:42 PM

Nov 2012
Really liked the movie. I don't understand why it's so underrated. The serious/dark tone of the movie was enjoyable and i think Akito's character development was pretty cool.
Jan 10, 2013 7:55 PM

Dec 2008
The movie itself was interesting, but the ending.... THE ENDING!!!
After all that, Akito just up and leaves alone with a little girl, leaving Yurika who has no clue and didn't suffer any negative consequences at all... WHAT.
Jan 29, 2013 10:07 AM

Nov 2012
Since Nadesico is 1 of my favs of all time, i liked the movie,but the ending is what killed it. But then again we cant say that cause the whole series is unfinished.
Apr 10, 2013 9:57 AM

Aug 2010
To be honest, I was expecting better.

The show was pretty good, but the film was meh. The animation was better, but the plot bored me, the ending was rushed, and most of the cool characters didn't get to do much at all.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 27, 2013 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
First off the movie was way to short. I kept checking the time and thinking that they couldn't possibly finish in an hour and twenty minutes (I was right). Everything felt rush because of this. I mean, how much of the dialoge was pure exposition? I'm guessing it was so short because they blew the budget on the fancy animation. And then it had the same friggin problem as the TV show, which was its non-ending. When entertainment fails to deliver on the basics of storytelling which includes, but not limited to, a proper ending... well then that piece of entertainment fails period. There are waaaay too many problems to talk about here, but in summary I wish that I hadn't watched the film and just took the irresolute japanese ending of the series as opposed to the irresolute japanese ending of the movie.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
May 6, 2013 12:42 PM

Sep 2012
All I know it that this movie was meant to be a trilogy, but due legal issues and lack of time they decided to make all in one.
Also, if people don't know about the game called Nadesico: The Blank of Three Years, they won't fully undertand what is happening on the movie.
So following a chronological order we have:
Nadesico tv> Game: The Blank of Three Years> Movie: Prince of darkness> Game: The mission.
Apr 21, 2015 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
It's not right to give this a bad score just because you didn't know there was a story that took place in between the end of the TV series and the this movie.

But let's not leave aside the motherfucking fact that THINGS JUST HAPPEN WITH NO EXPLANATION. They proceed from one event to another like FAP FAP FAP and just ejaculate ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE and go on with their fucking lives like no "immoral act" took place (let alone discourteous).

I like the tone this movie has taken, and Akito definitely got WAY fucking cooler, but THEN it was SUCH a GREAT idea to rushfuck the prostitute and throw the bedsheets out the window.

They seriously expect us to play a fucking game THAT WAS NEVER TRANSLATED to know the goddamn story???

WELL SHIT.

OKAY so it doesn't fucking matter if it's translated or not.
But to play a motherfucking game just to know what's going on????

EIIIIIIII

I thought the ending of the TV series was bad, but not as bad as a dick of a move they did when they decided to MAKE THIS FUCKING MOVIE.
zetsu_shorenApr 21, 2015 6:36 AM
Feb 3, 2018 4:54 PM

Apr 2013
Absolutely horrendous.
Mar 18, 2018 3:18 PM

Feb 2008
NeoVenezia said:
All I know it that this movie was meant to be a trilogy, but due legal issues and lack of time they decided to make all in one.
Also, if people don't know about the game called Nadesico: The Blank of Three Years, they won't fully undertand what is happening on the movie.

Yeah these two things are the biggest issue with the movie. Though number two can be easily solved by just reading a summary of the game, and well, being aware that a huge thing happened between the show and the movie. A shame that it was cut short as one movie, because that's a flaw you can't look past. A lot of the plots were rushed and finished pretty embarrassingly. The movie was good for about an hour and then it realized it had to end and wrap up content that was supposed to go for another two movies. Which did make the middle part of the movie pretty pointless.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 28, 2019 7:04 PM

Jul 2009
Wow that turned into pretty dark series. It was good to see everyone back together. Even a bit older!

One thing I didn't like about the old cast is why the hell did they changed Ryouko's hair to black? At first I recognized the voice when I first heard her, but then was shocked that she changed her hair to black as well as cutting it short.

Why did she had a major changed? She was already cute and brash as her green hair. Why change? Now she looks like Megumi tbh.

I like the concept. If you want a better understanding, the wiki provided an explanation on what happened after the TV series ending.

https://nadesico.fandom.com/wiki/Akito_Tenkawa
https://nadesico.fandom.com/wiki/Yurika_Misumaru
https://nadesico.fandom.com/wiki/Ruri_Hoshino

Also I didn't know that it had a Sega Saturn game that actually is canon and explained what happened between the Ending of TV series and Movie.

It's just a shame, they could have just made a non-canon game (what if story) then have the actual canon material to be a movie form. I do agree that it probably would have been better if there were 2 movies.

Anyways, I enjoyed the fight scenes! Akito being more grim and dark was weird at first. I didn't like his wimp and kid attitude in the TV series, but I have grown accustomed to it and it was his character. Now it feels that his some character out for revenge.

Also, this pretty much ruined the ending of the TV series. On how both Akito and Yurika are married and would live with Ruri.

The new characters are actually pretty good. Hari and Saburota. Though Saburota feels like Akatsuki with his brash attitude and Hari does feel like young Ruri, but cries too much.

Also didn't know Genichirou would eventually betray Jovian. I feel that he should have confronted about Yukina and ask for apology for killing his brother Shiratori.

Ines seems to have survived and is now part of the boson jump project. Was kinda nervous that I didn't see Erina at the beginning, since the movie was about to end, but it seems she still made her screen time!

New character Lapiz. I feel that they could have gotten her a bigger role, by actually being related to Ruri. Both of them already looks similar and she's pretty much being the support role to Akito right now. Even surprising, she is voiced by Nakama Yukie. Who is known for works like Gokusen "Kumiko" and various live action films.

Yurika being alive!! I'm so glad. I thought they would kill her off just like that.

Overall, a great animation and nostalgia for having the old cast back. Just wish the Sega Saturn Game canon content should have been part of the movie as well.

I still give it 9/10. It's awesome to see Ruri being captain and having her own ship "Nadesico C".
Sep 28, 2019 7:32 PM

Jul 2009
Here's some images for the series :)

Jun 9, 2020 3:56 PM

Jul 2015
Definitely a bit darker and serious than the original season of Nadesico, quite a lot has changed in those past few years. Those few years sure were harsh on Akito and Yurika...damn the rest had reasonably normal lives...

Nice to see earth and Jovian people have created peace by joining each other, and it seems the real enemy has shown itself there

All I can say is, pretty good sequel kind of liked the way this ended a bit more than the end of the previous season but this definitely did not have enough Gekiganger

Dec 16, 2020 10:11 AM

Aug 2016
The thing I hate the most about this pointless movie is how great the ending is. So undeserved!!!!!!
:v
Oct 19, 2021 1:24 AM

Oct 2013
"So dark!!! There was some blood in two scenes!!!! Bad movie!!!"
Some people are truly overreacting. This movie has the same amount of comedy as the series, the plot itself was just a bit more grave.
Anyway it's really good, too bad the promised sequels never came to be and we have to rely on some obscure videogames to complete the story.

Feels bad.
Nov 12, 2021 2:48 AM

Sep 2008
Went into the film knowing about the history surrounding the Japan-only Sega Saturn game that fleshes out things between the TV anime and film. All I have to think after seeing this is why didn't this just get made into a second TV anime? There was plenty that could have been fleshed out further in a TV show format, but got rushed through since there's only so much that can be explored within an 80-minute film.
Dec 3, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2014
Much like how the main series was a homage/reference to the super robot mechas of the 70s, it seems that this movie is a homage/reference to specifically Char's Counterattack: a nigh-incoherent shit show of a movie where there is clearly a whole chunk of story missing between the TV series and this to explain why any of this makes sense. Without that context, this movie makes no sense whatsoever, and we're supposed to just accept completely illogical character shifts bordering on character assassination as well as whatever nonsensical plot developments are randomly thrown at us.

This is not how you write a movie sequel, nor how you write a franchise as a whole. This is the late 90s equivalent of the explanation for Palpatine's return in Rise of Skywalker being locked behind a limited-time Fortnite event, i.e. incredibly fucking stupid.

Also, making Ruri the protagonist when she has the emotional and vocal range of a spoon is a seriously stupid idea. Besides her backstory, there is nothing to her to connect to or empathise with, not least because she doesn't seem to give a shit about anything that happens around her due to delivering every single line in monotone.
AtavisticDec 3, 2023 9:37 AM
Mar 17, 1:40 AM

Jan 2021
I understood absolutely nothing about what I just watched. Literally not a single scene.
At least the animation was pretty.

More topics from this board

» A theory about the movie.

jpmc - Apr 7, 2021

1 by uraharas_shop »»
Sep 5, 2021 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.