Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2008 9:04 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was pretty great. I've been waiting for this and it was surely worth it. Animation was great, but I knew that the very second I saw the trailer. The story itself was good as well, a modified aspect of what's been shown before regarding the human/android topic. I loved the music so I'm surely getting the OST if there's going to be one.

9/10, if you're a fan of CG movies, I can only recommend this one.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 3, 2008 9:09 AM

Mar 2007
Aw, and here I was thinking I'd make it before you! But you won by 3 minutes.

Anyways, great movie indeed. I loved the effects, I had a bit hard time with the animation at first but I came to like it a lot in the end.
And the OST is indeed a must get if there is one.
8/10.
Feb 4, 2008 8:26 AM

Jun 2007
Vexille rocked my soul. =D

great movie with everything a movie of this kind needs. And i agree with the great ost.

Lara Croft, huh?

and this guy watched a bit too much matrix..
Feb 4, 2008 8:36 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Haha yeah, I also thought of Lara Croft when I saw Maria. The other guy reminds me of Hitman. xD

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 5, 2008 2:17 AM

Dec 2007
I actually got to watch it in an actual cinema, with limited screenings. Well it was ok I guess, definitely much more palatable compared to Appleseed, which was incoherent.

Pluses:
EPIC edge-of-your-seat chase scene.
Top voice work, as usual
Great action

Minuses:
Moral of the story popped outta nowhere
The final showdown didn't take itself seriously

Well, paying to watch THAT chase scene was well worth it.
Feb 6, 2008 9:42 AM

Jan 2008
6/10 for me . Suberb CG blended with awesome soundtrack (Paul Oakenfold) and possibly one of worst storylines ever. Some boring sequences cause the movie to drag at times. Worse than Applessed imo.

However, definitely must see for special effects.

Ratings

CG - 10
Audio/music - 10
Plot/dialogues/etc. - 5

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Feb 9, 2008 5:48 AM

Nov 2007
Mathes said:

+1

Animation was just so awesome. I simply lack words to describe it.

Feb 10, 2008 6:28 AM

Jan 2008
Just reviewed it.

Probably not a film I'd watch again unless I was really bored and nothing else was on.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 10, 2008 10:45 PM
Jun 2007
Excluding the animation, sort of seemed like a bad rip-off of appleseed. Except the characters don't develop nearly as well. The only interesting parts are the giant killer worm robots. Just stupid. Nothing is explained enough and it felt rushed.

Meh.

Animation was good but nothing else was.

Feb 11, 2008 5:16 AM

Jan 2008
AnimusNathan said:
Excluding the animation, sort of seemed like a bad rip-off of appleseed. Except the characters don't develop nearly as well. The only interesting parts are the giant killer worm robots. Just stupid. Nothing is explained enough and it felt rushed.

Meh.

Animation was good but nothing else was.

I agree with you, though my review has been downgraded already. I wish the ability to comment on reviews was implemented. Eh.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 11, 2008 1:32 PM
Jun 2007
Cihan said:

I agree with you, though my review has been downgraded already. I wish the ability to comment on reviews was implemented. Eh.

I agree with your review, spot on IMO.

Feb 13, 2008 2:13 AM

Dec 2007
Well this movie was just a festival for the senses, nothing more. Anyone who was expecting something right out of GiTS has quite a misplaced confidence IMO. :P

That said, yes, I'm gonna give some props to this rather maligned show, despite it's glaringly obvious weaknesses.

For me this show worked out since I gave it horribly low expectations, that of a Michael Bay movie even. And also, watching it on a computer screen does the eye-candy no justice. If there are no good movies coming up this month, maybe our American friends should grab the chance to watch it on the big screen, as I have, and relish what this show has actually got to give. Sorry for those who don't know how to turn their brain off though.
Mar 1, 2008 11:12 AM

Aug 2007
Didn't rush to see it but i liked it a lot.

Superb Soundtrack, Good plot, Superb CG. Just got too insipired in some other movies than i would like to see.

9/10

PS: Is OST out on the interwebs?
StaticMar 1, 2008 11:17 AM
Mar 1, 2008 11:23 AM

Jan 2008
Static said:
PS: Is OST out on the interwebs?

Yes it is, in glorious 320k too.

Dont know if MAL frowns on naughty links, so I'll pm you a link.
Mar 1, 2008 11:25 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Could you share it with me too? Unless the name is different it's not on TT.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 1, 2008 1:00 PM

Jan 2008
I've also got naked pics of the main character if anyone wants them.

J/k.

While we're talking about the OST though, the allusions to Appleseed are even more obvious when you know that both films begin with a Basement Jaxx tune in the credits. Why would the music supervisor of Vexille do something so obvious? Silly.

Great tune though, the Jaxx are excellent as always.
Mar 11, 2008 8:12 PM

Jul 2007
Pretty good CG film, felt kind of like Appleseed though those Jags kind of reminded me of the Matrix. Anyways I was pleasantly surprised when I heard some Paul Oakenfold and Dj shadow tracks mixed in, its definitely one of the good points of the film.
Well all and all I liked it and gave it a 8/10^^,
Mar 31, 2008 3:28 PM

Mar 2007
Maitenieks said:
Mathes said:

+1

Animation was just so awesome. I simply lack words to describe it.

Totally. But then again I fall into the category of pplz who have not seen Appleseed yet, so I lack the ability to say 'copycat'. I thought the story was well played out though, but they better not come out with a sequel. GiTS movies (#1 and Innocence) go for more of a philosophical view rather then a realistic fantasy (funny phrase) that this is. So, in that respect I think they're CG movies with cyberpunk themes, yes, but both have different goals too. I'll go out to point that I think Appleseed is more long the lines of humans falling in love with robots, yes? Vexille was more watch out for greedy governments/organizations/communism with a good amount of focus on action, with a little bit of don't get too into cyberborgs...

Dibs on Ishida!
Mar 31, 2008 3:35 PM

Jan 2008
The basic premise of Vexille is really good and ripe with potential, but the writer and director just failed to realise that potential. I think the similarities with Appleseed are just surface stuff, music, genre, CGI, etc. The only 'copycat' thing was both films beginning with a Basement Jaxx tune.
Jun 19, 2008 8:11 AM

Sep 2007
This turned out to be a very worthwhile watch. The plot is awesome. It's been a while since I watched a sci-fi genre that fit my taste like Vexille did. Japan made themselves the bad guys here. You don't see the creators making themselves the bad guys too often right? That, in my opinion is original. Obviously enough, the animation is superb. :)

I wrote the synopsis. Yay. ^^
Jun 29, 2008 11:48 AM

Sep 2007
Awesome movie that reminded me a lot of Appleseed. What? Japan was the bad guy for once and the US was the good guys? WOW... don't see that too often in Anime lol.

Heh yeah, Maria really rreminds me of Lara Croft and the other guy reminds me of the guy from Hitman. 5/5 but 9/10 on regular list score
Aug 21, 2008 11:53 PM

May 2008
is this subbed yet? if so where could i dl/stream it?
Aug 22, 2008 4:30 AM
Jun 2006
it is subbed, use TT and you shall find! :>

Dec 4, 2008 12:22 AM

Jan 2008
Finally got around to watch this.
Having watched Apple Seed and Ex Machina before this, I had high expectations of this.
And......it didn't disappoint. Sure the story wasn't on par with say GITS, but it had it's own merits.
The concept of isolating a country using tech like that was quite interesting.
Dec 7, 2008 12:00 PM

Jan 2008
I watched this in Japan when it came out. It was pretty awesome, with some nice action sequences.
Dec 13, 2008 11:26 AM

May 2007
Can't say that it was awesome, though I liked some parts of the story...

'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Apr 26, 2009 2:13 PM

Mar 2009
Definitely wasn't a good thing that I saw this about two days after seeing Appleseed Exmachina. But, despite the unoriginal plot, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's entertaining, if nothing else, and that's all that I was looking for in the movie.
May 21, 2009 12:06 PM

Jun 2008
Great movie. I watched it in a cinema. Superb special effects, especially this metalworms in the desert or something like that:D

The last helicopter scene was horrible and sucked!!! How could possibly someone survive in such an explosion?! Everyone in the cinema laughted.

Stil 7/10.
Nov 30, 2009 6:12 PM

Nov 2008
It was an interesting movie. It kept me entertained but still I think that the story could have been better.

8/10
Jul 1, 2010 4:09 AM

Nov 2009
There must be no money left over to pay good writers after the budget is blown on all the glorious CGI.
Nov 14, 2012 12:04 AM

Jul 2007
Pretty good movie showing the distinction between humanity and robotics. The evolution of man turned into robotics was the primary story, but vexille shown them that how a human spirit can surpass impossible odds.

The story was a bit cliche but the setting, the humankind and evolution of man turned into robotics and the war between japan and the US were the high points of the story.

Dec 7, 2012 12:04 PM

May 2012
Quite a good movie but I lost interest in the middle for a reason :/ 7/10
Jan 1, 2015 5:31 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty much non-stop action. Not bad. The tunnel thing was pretty heart-pounding.

Story lacked explanation on some parts, but it isn't that important to know why Jags even operate the way they do (a glitch in the system I suppose).
Dec 14, 2015 12:38 PM

Jun 2013
Jags in the desert remind me of Duna worms (Frank Hebert).
Feb 16, 2016 3:59 PM

Jun 2015
Maria looks like Lara Croft from Tomb Raider lol

Nice movie btw 6/10; thanks to recommenders!
Mar 28, 2019 1:14 PM

Aug 2012
I really liked this alot, I'm a pretty big fan of Japan's CG Animation output because often they use the technology to make more mature works, especially in this period. The quality of this production in the CG department was really fantastic, definitely on par with the second Appleseed film. Watching for the first time in 2019 the film still looked pretty amazing, with a cel shaded style that has aged really well.

I found the story to this really fun Sci-Fi with loads of interesting and shocking ideas. The action was often tense as well. The tunnel sequences were brutal.

I do have a couple of nitpicks though like the Jags, for something so crucial to the plot they don't really spend much time explaining them. Also the wasteland isn't a desert so the fact these things come up through the ground without leaving giant chasms behind didn't make much sense at all to me. The Villain was a little 1 dimensional too and we didn't get any backstory on why Japan was leveled for his project or just how he duped the Japanese government into this suicidal scheme.

Overall I think this is a stand out Anime film, it's not up there with the greats by any means but it is way above the cut of the majority of Anime films.

8/10 Great Film
BlaizeVMar 30, 2019 3:39 AM
Mar 13, 11:35 AM
Dec 2018
A good and entertaining movie. I'm never a fan of using CG, but it was done well here

I hope that the film will gain more fame at some point because it deserves it. This is not a great film, but it is beautiful and worth watching

More topics from this board

» SPOILER ALERT! something's amiss in ending.

grayle - Mar 8, 2009

1 by HNSeijin »»
Mar 24, 2009 11:13 PM

» Looks great! :)

Mad - Jul 5, 2007

19 by Code_Monkey »»
Feb 6, 2008 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.