Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 3, 2008 8:00 AM
Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was just waiting for one of those horns to keep growing and have a robot pop out, but this isn't that kind of show...

I will say that this whole series is rather peaceful, even as scary as these simple mushi appear to be. I mean horns and lack of hearing? There's no limit to there maliciousness :D
Feb 18, 2008 12:40 PM

Feb 2008
This episode was pretty good, a little confusing, but still good.
I thought the horns would just go back inside the head, it was weird seeing them fall =P
Feb 26, 2008 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
beautiful episode.

put your hands to your ears and you hear lava. so wonderful.
Mar 28, 2008 8:55 AM

Feb 2008
^ well, through fact you can really hear it. But just when it is really silent. ^__^

Yeah, I'm also expecting for robots to come out. Hahahah! I thought it has the same VA for the boy in FLCL.. HAhaah!
Apr 26, 2008 9:25 AM

Oct 2007
wow. this show is so twisted. i'm loving it. each episode so far almost scary on a sort of level, i think. like slightly disturbing.
May 6, 2008 7:58 PM

Jan 2008
I love the snow in this episode, combined with the music, it creates the perfect atmosphere =)
Jun 6, 2008 6:34 AM

Mar 2008
JeremyC said:
I love the snow in this episode, combined with the music, it creates the perfect atmosphere =)

yeah i totally agree =] so peaceful - even with katsup being right about it being slightly disturbing at times lol
Jun 9, 2008 4:23 PM

May 2008
Beautiful episode, the setting and music for this episode were amazing as usual.
Jun 17, 2008 7:56 PM

Sep 2007
yeah...I have to agree that this series is a little odd and disturbing at times....but creative and alluring all the same. The "Mushi" seem simple organism of life...yet each episode they seem to have great consequences on their "hosts". I agree that these little "bugs" are truly maliscious lol.

oh, and the first thing I thought of when I saw the horns was FLCL too! hahaha...waiting for Ginko to hit him with a guitar or something and knock the mushi out...
Jul 25, 2008 6:53 AM

Jan 2008
The snow was beautiful. The "lava" they hear is probably the blood flowing through their hands :P
Jul 30, 2008 11:01 AM

Oct 2007
Loved the concept of hearing lava.

Aug 7, 2008 12:14 PM

Jun 2008
This show is too calming e_e... I like it but.... if a slug type thing crawled out of my ears or liek melted in my ears.... I would most likely scream o_o

lol I hate snails... so this ep creeped me out >.>

But this series is kinda addicting ^^"... I loved the snow... it just added to the peaceful effect ><

Sig WILL change soon~
Nov 19, 2008 10:33 AM

Jan 2008
An incurable mushi disease, I thought it would be more of a challenge to solve the mystery. However, great episode, I hope the horns will reappear later in the series.
btw, who didn't try to cover his ears? xD
Feb 11, 2009 1:55 PM
Sep 2008
Loved it. Another good episode.
Apr 4, 2009 10:04 PM

Dec 2008
ah this anime is becoming one of my favourites...its so peacefull and sometimes creepy...so strange..
I agree, the snow and the music were really good..
I really like the sound of this anime :D
May 11, 2009 1:08 AM
Jun 2008
This ep was great, even as simple as it was.

The thing is, I started this anime about a year ago and, I read up on it after the 1st episode. I heard that it doesn't really have a main storyline and so I stopped watching it.

However, I recently picked it up once again and even though every show is a separate episode, I find that majority of them are quite nice and imagination packed. Its definitely a pick me compared to the normal cliche anime's I watch.
Jun 28, 2009 12:08 AM

May 2008
sick ass episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
cant wait to see more tomorrow!!!!

HAHAHAH!!!!! :D
Jul 7, 2009 2:54 PM

Jun 2008
I actually covered my ears and could hear it. I love this so much<3
Jul 7, 2009 8:20 PM

Jan 2009
Kittenia said:
I actually covered my ears and could hear it.

THIS.
I'm so in love with this show so farrrr~
I'd like tossing your salad.-"Yuru"/MMMKD
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM MOTHERFUCKER?-SophieWophie<3
Jul 8, 2009 9:45 AM

Nov 2007
I love it! :D
Jul 8, 2009 9:28 PM
Jul 2008
Great episode.
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Aug 14, 2009 1:16 PM

Jul 2009
So beautiful episode ^_^
And I liked the boy...he's so nice)
Aug 22, 2009 7:03 AM

Oct 2008
Pretty episode!
The story was so good, and the thing with the lava when you covered your ears was brilliant. I bet a lot of people covered their ears with there hand when they watched this episode.

The horns falling of was weird though. Would've been better to see them shrink and disappear completely instead.
Oct 15, 2009 4:05 PM

Aug 2009
This one was sooo relaxing to watch.
Nov 24, 2009 11:39 AM

Aug 2009
zippy said:

I was just waiting for one of those horns to keep growing and have a robot pop out, but this isn't that kind of show...

Yeah, I was also waiting for something to pop out, but really, it isn't that kind of show ^^"

"Shut your ears and you'll hear lava" very beautiful <3
KarikaturataNov 24, 2009 11:43 AM
Dec 7, 2009 7:52 AM
Oct 2009
beautiful and creep at the same time...im liking this show
Dec 9, 2009 4:21 PM

Apr 2008
Again, great episode. :)

I love the quiet atmosphere of this show.
The story, the art, the music... Really, everything is so good.
May 4, 2010 12:14 PM

Jan 2010
this is a masterpiece ^^

only one thing lacks from this show...more characters and at least a little background for everyone(i know it's ep3 but i can see this going to ep 26 and still giving nothing about ginko's past)...

it's perfect on any other aspects anyway :)

great story,5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 17, 2010 2:51 PM

Mar 2010
that little kid maho was ADORABLE... i'm so glad everything turned out alright. this show is really beautiful....

this is my sound~~
Nov 7, 2010 8:29 PM

Oct 2010
I covered my ears and I hear wind blowing through a cave. I guess this kinda things are personal...

I like how the cases are revolving around children. And I feel like this anime is a different type of storytelling. A good one. The falling horns were unexpected as well though.
Nov 15, 2010 10:12 PM

May 2010
I covered my ears and simply thought that this show is perfect to relieve from stress.

So peace and quite.. When the "Ah" melted in Ginko's ears, it was disturbing yet

Ginko's looks like nothing happened.. Seems like Ginko's gonna go to my favorite characters. :D
Dec 7, 2010 11:22 PM

Jan 2009
The soft rumbling...very peaceful feeling.

Jan 3, 2011 5:08 PM
Mar 2010
I don't understand the Un and Ah concept. Given they live simultaniously without one dying from the other's certian needs suchas how Ah needs silence to feed off of and Un needs noise that is readily supplied by the world around them, how the hell did the plot ender of the lava hand sounds work? Do the Ah hate direct sound contact or something? So no one's spoken to him upfront and personal? Hmm this is the only conclusion I can come up with, fascinating story, but I truly do want to make sense of it more. If anyone can help me with this, please respond right away, even if this forum is pretty dead by now I suppose and I might be ignorant for not understanding it fully. My bads.
Jan 4, 2011 2:02 PM

Sep 2008
Gjkl345 said:
I don't understand the Un and Ah concept. Given they live simultaniously without one dying from the other's certian needs suchas how Ah needs silence to feed off of and Un needs noise that is readily supplied by the world around them, how the hell did the plot ender of the lava hand sounds work? Do the Ah hate direct sound contact or something? So no one's spoken to him upfront and personal? Hmm this is the only conclusion I can come up with, fascinating story, but I truly do want to make sense of it more. If anyone can help me with this, please respond right away, even if this forum is pretty dead by now I suppose and I might be ignorant for not understanding it fully. My bads.

just finished watching it. Might be a problem with the subs, but the way I got it is: Ah feeds off the silence that Un creates by feeding off all the sound from the surroundings. Ah lives through that silence, which is created when Un absorbs all the sounds from the surroundings (except for mushi sounds). That is how they co-exist, or rather that is why Ah follows Un. So the only thing that should work against Ah is sound, and the sound of ones own "vitality" is something that cannot be completely absorbed (unless the person is weakened, like mahos mum).
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 22, 2011 3:32 PM

Jul 2009
I love how this series is both peaceful but disturbing at the same time and I liked how this episode made you think about hearing.
Apr 23, 2011 6:21 PM

Jun 2009
Every episode is such a great experience. Even though it was slightly confusing, it was still fabulous. Everything is so fascinating and unique…

The idea of covering your ears and hearing lava was just a beautiful analogy; everyone probably hears a different thing depending on their past memories, though.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
May 16, 2011 5:49 AM

Dec 2009
Those mushi are gross...

Jul 26, 2011 7:32 AM
Jan 2010
gr33nhippo said:
beautiful episode.

put your hands to your ears and you hear lava. so wonderful.

lol
Aug 3, 2011 10:43 PM

Jul 2011
Watching this episode with earphones was an experience and a half. The complete lack of background noise in most of the scenes made it so you could almost feel the weight of the silence.
Sep 9, 2011 10:26 PM

May 2010
So the mushi died because he covered his hands?? Confused
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 29, 2011 5:00 PM
Sep 2011
Hello everyone, I am new here :).

koreye said:
Gjkl345 said:

just finished watching it. Might be a problem with the subs, but the way I got it is: Ah feeds off the silence that Un creates by feeding off all the sound from the surroundings. Ah lives through that silence, which is created when Un absorbs all the sounds from the surroundings (except for mushi sounds). That is how they co-exist, or rather that is why Ah follows Un. So the only thing that should work against Ah is sound, and the sound of ones own "vitality" is something that cannot be completely absorbed (unless the person is weakened, like mahos mum).

I agree with interpretation of symbiosis between Un and Ah, but (just as Gjkl345) I think that remedy against Ah was illogical. Both of Maho and his mother covered theirs ears before Ginko had came. I suppose that Maho's mother didn't win against Ah, because she didn't lost her horns. I construe that the silence of her last day was just a consequence of change of Ah's host. So what was a remedy? Focusing on own body sounds? I don't think so - when You isolate noises, its natural to hear own heartbeating or breath. Therefore, in my opinion, this solution doesn't have any sense. Deus ex machina.

Besides that I really like Mushi'shi! Its very calm, relaxing... wonderfull chill out!
So far the best advantage of this anime is that it doesn't have idyllic, irreflective happy endings.

_______
Sorry about my english. I am still learning this devilish language, so probably I am making a lot of gramatical mistakes. But also i hope, that my comment was comunicativelly.
Feb 23, 2012 6:15 AM

Sep 2008
KatsuraRen said:
Loved the concept of hearing lava.

Same, and it is true. I never questioned why I could hear some rumbling sound when I covered both of my ears, haha. Wonder if what Ginko said is true - that it has something to do with your arm muscles!

Anyway, still loving the music. Great episode.
Feb 27, 2012 9:52 AM

May 2011
fudgy said:
Kittenia said:

THIS.

im actually surprised a little, when i covered my ears like that i actually heard it too, but i never rly payed attention to it till just now
Mar 22, 2012 5:29 PM
Dec 2008
kenshin_sama said:
fudgy said:
Kittenia said:

THIS.

im actually surprised a little, when i covered my ears like that i actually heard it too, but i never rly payed attention to it till just now

same here :P

I love this show.
Apr 8, 2012 2:30 PM

Dec 2007
5/5
I think this is one of the most beautiful episodes in the series ^^
Apr 9, 2012 9:39 AM

Mar 2008
kenshin_sama said:
fudgy said:
Kittenia said:

THIS.

mind = blown
why did I never noticed/do that?! o_o and I usually do all sorts off weird stuff anyway, haha xD

Hm, I think the episode was good... but mhmmm, I don't enjoy the series that much until now..:/
Apr 9, 2012 9:28 PM

Jul 2011
-covers ears-
Me: ... LOL OMG IT SOUNDS LIKE RUMBLING!!

Weird because I did it before, but never realized it sounded like that. Awesomeness.

My sister says it's because your thumb has a pulse (or something).

1. This show is creepy. I don't care what you guys say.
2. The boy's voice... IS SO CUTE. <3
3. I love it. Like... it's creepy and strange and I'm not sure why I"m watching, but there's just this.. allure that makes me watch the next episode... <3
MirorinApr 9, 2012 9:35 PM
Jun 6, 2012 8:08 PM

Nov 2011
For some reasons, this episode reminded me a little bit of Elfen Lied
Jun 30, 2012 12:53 AM

Aug 2010
I too covered my ears although I noticed it some time ago, surprisingly enough. Just never knew about the muscle part, if that's actually true.
Oct 6, 2012 7:49 PM

Apr 2012
this series is so dark yet so peaceful at the same time...
my god i love it so much :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

131 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 8, 12:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.