Forum Settings
Forums

What's a good Linux distro for a beginner like to start using?

New
Aug 13, 2014 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
Can anyone please tell me?
Aug 13, 2014 2:17 PM

Jan 2009
Linux Mint. It's easy to use and the main theme is very similar with windows classic theme.

Ubuntu is another user friendly distro.
Aug 13, 2014 5:55 PM
Pokémon Master

Apr 2014
The very first one I used was Ubuntu. It was easy to get the hang of. Mint is also easy to use and I think Mint is more visually appealing than Ubuntu.
Aug 13, 2014 6:08 PM

Jun 2014
Mizorefan said:
Linux Mint. It's easy to use and the main theme is very similar with windows classic theme.

Ubuntu is another user friendly distro.

This. I've been using Linux for 4 years now. I started out with Ubuntu 10.04, then I switched to Linux Mint a couple of years later. Mint's Cinnamon interface is nice, but I ended up switching to Xfce after a while.

The best thing about Linux is you can burn off a "Live CD," and test it out on your computer without even installing it to see what it's like, and to make sure it's fully compatible with your hardware.

Linux is awesome.

Aug 13, 2014 6:15 PM

Jan 2009
the major problem i had with linux is once you installed it then its hard to completely get rid of it, you have to do a lot of things like this - http://askubuntu.com/questions/133533/how-to-remove-ubuntu-and-put-windows-back-on
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-uninstall-windows-or-linux-after-dual-booting-508710422

but ye the most beginner friendly distro is linux mint
Aug 13, 2014 7:28 PM

Nov 2012
I'd start with Mint or Ubuntu.

j0x said:
the major problem i had with linux is once you installed it then its hard to completely get rid of it, you have to do a lot of things like this - http://askubuntu.com/questions/133533/how-to-remove-ubuntu-and-put-windows-back-on
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-uninstall-windows-or-linux-after-dual-booting-508710422

but ye the most beginner friendly distro is linux mint

That's only if you try to dual boot because it requires making modifications to the boot sector of your hard drive, which can quickly get very complicated very fast. If you do a clean install of Linux, it is as simple as popping your Windows disc back in and reinstalling it like you would any other day. I had absolutely no issues putting Windows 7 back on my friend's laptop after he decided he didn't want to keep Mint.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Aug 13, 2014 9:43 PM

Mar 2008
Well, I must say that Lubuntu is fantastic for toasters...
Aug 13, 2014 11:44 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Ubuntu 12.04 was my first at least, think that was pretty easy to learn for a beginner
Aug 14, 2014 7:14 AM
Apr 2008
Ubuntu LTS releases I think its more stable than mint but that my own opinion
Aug 14, 2014 7:29 AM

Jun 2014
Deathnosis said:
Ubuntu LTS releases I think its more stable than mint but that my own opinion

Mint 17 Qiana(The latest LTS) seems to be okay. I gave up on Ubuntu after that stupid Unity interface came out. I know I can change the desktop environment, but I switched to Mint anyway.

Oct 21, 2019 4:36 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Linux Distro for New Users:

Ubuntu family (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, ...)
Manjaro (but be careful about making backups before installing major updates)
Linux Mint (either Ubuntu based or Linux Mint Debian Edition)
PopOS (with the choice of amd or nvidia drivers preconfigured)
Oct 22, 2019 7:32 PM

Dec 2008
I'm no expert but I've had better luck with Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2 than other distros.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 22, 2019 10:49 PM

May 2009
I'm no expert either, but I was able to install Linux Mint on an old machine, with the help of some pointers from the Mint community and just simply Googling a variety of questions/error messages and some trial and error.

This was the first time I installed an operating system on a machine.

It's still not the best thing ever, but this IS a 2004 machine so the fact that it boots to a workable state within a reasonable amount of time is still awesome. It basically hates modern websites due to its low system resources, but as long as I'm not browsing the web things generally work on it. And I did have to tell it to ignore a certain kernel update that would cause it to have an obnoxious graphical glitch.

But simply for playing music and backing up files? It works just fine.

Things I learned while doing this:

1. You have to be willing to look for help yourself. Don't expect to have all the answers given to you in a neat instruction manual. But if you have a specific question, you can often find help on the internet, in the form of someone's asking that same question earlier, or in the form of fellow enthusiasts who have walked this path before you.
2. You have to be willing to adapt and try new things. Note that if you break stuff, there's a "safe mode" analogue that you can boot into. Computers are complex machines and sometimes there's no way to learn other than by trial and error.

edit aww crap i didn't notice this is an old thread
GlennMagusHarveyOct 22, 2019 10:54 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 24, 2019 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
Been trying a whole bunch of distros this month. Ended up settling for Fedora Workstation.

Really loving it so far. Blows Windows 10 out of the water.
Nov 7, 2019 10:40 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:

1. You have to be willing to look for help yourself. Don't expect to have all the answers given to you in a neat instruction manual. But if you have a specific question, you can often find help on the internet, in the form of someone's asking that same question earlier, or in the form of fellow enthusiasts who have walked this path before you.

There is an manual, that can help you find the answer. The Arch wiki is the most detailed manual for Linux OS, but even if something works in Arch, it will not mean that it also works on your Distro. Never the less it might work and reading parts of the Arch Wiki will help you to understand.

Arch is by no means a Distro for usual beginner.
Nov 7, 2019 10:43 AM

Jun 2014
Cyanwasserstoff said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

There is an manual, that can help you find the answer. The Arch wiki is the most detailed manual for Linux OS, but even if something works in Arch, it will not mean that it also works on your Distro. Never the less it might work and reading parts of the Arch Wiki will help you to understand.

Arch is by no means a Distro for usual beginner.

Agreed, Arch is not for beginners at all.

I've been using Linux exclusively since 2010, and I likely wouldn't even be able to install Arch Linux, so I'm not even going to try.

Nov 10, 2019 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
I would recommend one that is well supported and is easy to install and use. So Mint, Debian, Fedora, and openSUSE would be good options. I personally like Fedora most.
Nov 10, 2019 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
Arbre said:
I would recommend one that is well supported and is easy to install and use. So Mint, Debian, Fedora, and openSUSE would be good options. I personally like Fedora most.

They just released Fedora 31.
It's incredibly good. Can't believe I didn't make the change from Windows sooner. Don't think I've run into a single problem, anywhere. Everything "just works."
Nov 11, 2019 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
They just released Fedora 31.
It's incredibly good. Can't believe I didn't make the change from Windows sooner. Don't think I've run into a single problem, anywhere. Everything "just works."

I upgraded to 31 right away and I really like it and also Fedora 30. I've been using Fedora for a few years now and it has always been solid. I also like how you can now play Windows only games on Steam with Proton, never played games on PC much before but this has made me more interested in PC gaming.
Nov 22, 2019 2:07 AM

Nov 2019
Seiya said:

I've been using Linux exclusively since 2010, and I likely wouldn't even be able to install Arch Linux, so I'm not even going to try.

While I had the benefit of using linux since 2006, Arch is actually quite simple to get installed. It's simply not automated as much. If you follow the wiki advice, you'll get a working system without issue. It's essentially a little pre-planning and a lot of typing out commands from the install guide. Once you get something like GNOME installed, you can do everything just like you would in Ubuntu essentially.

Where it's tricky is long term maintenance, for people who want install and go I would definitely recommend Mint or the *buntus. I used to tell people Debian is good but their refusal to keep certain packages in the repos and other drama has changed that. I think there is one based on Arch that is beginner friendly but it escapes me at the moment.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Nov 22, 2019 6:39 AM

Jun 2014
ItsaNico said:
Seiya said:

While I had the benefit of using linux since 2006, Arch is actually quite simple to get installed. It's simply not automated as much. If you follow the wiki advice, you'll get a working system without issue. It's essentially a little pre-planning and a lot of typing out commands from the install guide. Once you get something like GNOME installed, you can do everything just like you would in Ubuntu essentially.

Where it's tricky is long term maintenance, for people who want install and go I would definitely recommend Mint or the *buntus. I used to tell people Debian is good but their refusal to keep certain packages in the repos and other drama has changed that. I think there is one based on Arch that is beginner friendly but it escapes me at the moment.

I would still likely make mistakes, even if I followed the Arch wiki. I've never manually partitioned a hard drive in my life, and I barely know anything about the command line.

If I ever came across a problem in Linux, I would google the problem, find a forum where someone asked the same question, and if they got an answer, I would simply copy and paste the code into the terminal, and everything worked, but I never learned anything doing that.

Nov 25, 2019 5:27 PM

Nov 2019
Seiya said:

I would still likely make mistakes, even if I followed the Arch wiki. I've never manually partitioned a hard drive in my life, and I barely know anything about the command line.

If I ever came across a problem in Linux, I would google the problem, find a forum where someone asked the same question, and if they got an answer, I would simply copy and paste the code into the terminal, and everything worked, but I never learned anything doing that.

I understand that, the first time I was pretty nervous about hurting the hard drive myself. To each their own, more technically inclined folks will get the hang of it. At the end of the day, the golden rule is use what works for you. I don't like the elitism in the FOSS/Linux community much, my shilling of Arch is because it's a lot easier to learn Linux without all the extra stuff in the way if someone wants to go that route. That's why I also tell people to try Mint out as well depending on if they want to just have things work.

For anyone interested, I was thinking of Manjaro before. I only used it once and never long term but being based on Arch with the ease and package stability of Ubuntu, I think I might test it out longer term myself soon.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+

More topics from this board

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

15 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
16 minutes ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

28 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
21 minutes ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 8 hours ago

1 by rootje_43 »»
1 hour ago

» Whats a game you'd see yourself as an expert in? ( 1 2 3 )

Disapeared_Ghost - Jun 28, 2021

147 by rootje_43 »»
1 hour ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.