Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 10, 2014 7:30 AM
Feb 2013
deanzel said:
Just like the start of any new arc, we got lots of talking and explaining in this one but I think that I was able to keep up with it (barely I belive). At least we got a little taste of Tatsuya god-mode action and Miyuki in DAT APRON... Onii-sama...

The bro/siscon vibe was pretty heavy again this episode, granted.

I'm actually wondering. I think most guys who had a smart, beautiful girl practically licking their balls on every turn would just fuck her, sister or not.

It's actually starting to annoy me a bit too. I mean, I know it's a well-known and often-used anime trope, but if you're into this bro/siscon thing SO much, then do something with it. Either go for it, or refuse it. This incessant teasing of 'I'm offering myself on a silver platter to you' and sexual-innuendo where both don't really seem to mind much, but yet never goes anywhere (be it one way or the other) does get a bit annoying.

I mean, I know they can't *really* go further into that path, or it would become a hentai of the more naughty sort, but still... It starts to remind me of the many harem-anime where all the girls want to get laid by the MC, but he is too stupid/shy/unlucky/whatever to actually do something with it/them. Episode after episode. After a while, it gets on the nerves.

For the rest it was an ok episode, though not all that action-packed. The highlight was where he got shot, but...it *does* take away some of the suspense that you know he's virtually immortal. It's like Luffy from OP: never gets hurt, and neither do any of his nakama. (in the sense of actually being able to die).

It's time it's made clear he *can* get hurt in a permanent way, otherwise I'll have to give the more negative voices of the anime a point. I dunno. Couldn't the bullet be made of that special metal there, that inhibited magic? Wouldn't that interfere with his restoration magic?

I mean, *something* should be introduced that would make us fear for his life. Because otherwise, the suspense really *does* diminishes a lot.
AnimageNebyAug 10, 2014 8:00 AM
Aug 10, 2014 7:32 AM

Apr 2009
Still bad? Still bad.
Tatsuya still a horrible Stu? Yup, still a horrible Stu.

So far for "things getting good".
At least this racist power fantasy for the degenerated is over soon. Then the people can claim Madhouse ruined the anime while everybody sanes laughs at them, hopefully forgetting this in a few months.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 10, 2014 7:34 AM

Apr 2008
AnimageNeby said:
deanzel said:
Just like the start of any new arc, we got lots of talking and explaining in this one but I think that I was able to keep up with it (barely I belive). At least we got a little taste of Tatsuya god-mode action and Miyuki in DAT APRON... Onii-sama...

I'm actually wondering. I think most guys who had a smart, beautiful girl practically licking their balls on every turn would just fuck her, sister or not.

It's actually starting to annoy me a bit too. I mean, I know it's a well-known and often-used anime trope, but if you're into this bro/siscon thing SO much, then do something with it. Either go for it, or refuse it. This incessant teasing of 'I'm offering myself on a silver platter to you' and sexual-innuendo where both don't really seem to mind much, but yet never goes anywhere (be it one way or the other) does get a bit annoying.

I mean, I know they *really* can't go further, or it would become a hentai of the more naughty sort, but still... It starts to remind me of the many harem-anime where all the girls want to get laid by the MC, but he is to stupid/shy/unlucky/whatever to actually do something with it/them. Episode after episode. After a while, it gets on the nerves.

For the rest it was an ok episode, though not all that action-packed. The highlight was where he got shot, but...it *does* take away some of the suspense that you know he's virtually immortal. It's like Luffy from OP: never gets hurt, and neither do any of his nakama. (in the sense of actually being able to die).

It's time it's made clear he *can* get hurt in a permanent way, otherwise I'll have to give the more negative voices of the anime a point. I dunno. Couldn't the bullet be made of that special metal there, that inhibited magic? Wouldn't that interfere with his restoration magic?

I mean, *something* should be introduced that would make us fear for his life. Because otherwise, the suspense really *does* diminishes a lot.

Blowing his head off would kill him. Thing is you need to kill him instantly or else he will recover.
Aug 10, 2014 7:46 AM

Jan 2012
It was okay...

I really wish Miyuki would stop blushing like that all the time...
Aug 10, 2014 7:56 AM
Feb 2013
Darklight0303 said:
AnimageNeby said:

I mean, I know they *really* can't go further, or it would become a hentai of the more naughty sort, but still... It starts to remind me of the many harem-anime where all the girls want to get laid by the MC, but he is to stupid/shy/unlucky/whatever to actually do something with it/them. Episode after episode. After a while, it gets on the nerves.

Blowing his head off would kill him. Thing is you need to kill him instantly or else he will recover.

You sure? ;-)

Come to think of it, wouldn't a sniper normally aim for the head in the first place?

Anyway, the problem with that would be, that he's instantly killed, then. I think they need something that makes it clear it poses a threat to his life without actually killing him outright from the start. Like the special anti-magic-metal bullet, for instance.

That, or shoot him in the head, but not fully, and only part of his braintissue gets destroyed, and he still manages to restore himself, but gets amnesia in the process. Something like that.

If you don't get the feeling the MC or one of his nakamas *might* die - even though we know MC's usually last - it takes away the suspense. What you says may be technically true, but we've never seen him fight for his life (I mean, being on the brink of death). I think it is about time he or his sis gets in a critical condition.

I'm still (relatively) enjoying the show, but I can't help but note some things could be improved upon. As it is now, it's an ok anime, but it will never become a 'great' one. Sure, I've seen worse. But I've seen better too.

Granted, this goes for a lot of anime.I'm always vaguely disturbed that, with *a litle bit* more effort, and anime could have been drastically improved. Yet, it never (well seldom) happens. Most just don't quite fully deliver, or don't reach the full potential they had, even if they're enjoyable. (Suisei no Gargantia comes to mind)
Aug 10, 2014 8:04 AM

Apr 2008
AnimageNeby said:
Darklight0303 said:

You sure? ;-)

Come to think of it, wouldn't a sniper normally aim for the head in the first place?

Anyway, the problem with that would be, that he's instantly killed, then. I think they need something that makes it clear it poses a threat to his life without actually killing him outright from the start. Like the special anti-magic-metal bullet, for instance.

That, or shoot him in the head, but not fully, and only part of his braintissue gets destroyed, and he still manages to restore himself, but gets amnesia in the process. Something like that.

If you don't get the feeling the MC or one of his nakamas *might* die - even though we know MC's usually last - it takes away the suspense. What you says may be technically true, but we've never seen him fight for his life (I mean, being on the brink of death). I think it is about time he or his sis gets in a critical condition.

I'm still (relatively) enjoying the show, but I can't help but note some things could be improved upon. As it is now, it's an ok anime, but it will never become a 'great' one. Sure, I've seen worse. But I've seen better too.

Granted, this goes for a lot of anime.I'm always vaguely disturbed that, with *a litle bit* more effort, and anime could have been drastically improved. Yet, it never (well seldom) happens. Most just don't quite fully deliver, or don't reach the full potential they had, even if they're enjoyable. (Suisei no Gargantia comes to mind)

It seems you haven't yet pieced together the mechanics of his restoration even though it has already been hinted at visually last arc. The death needs to be instant if you want to kill him. I won't say more than that since I am already bordering close on spoiler.
Aug 10, 2014 8:14 AM

Dec 2010
nina4life said:
Oh look, Tatsuya is going to solve one of the great mysteries. Wow. He must be smart. Oh well, guess I should've come to that conclussion after he solved unsolvable mysteries before.

One day, after Tatsuya decides he's tired of this world and develops faster-than-light travel children will read books about him.
"Tell me Sensei, who invented these Godlike abilities we now use?"
"It is all the work of great Tatsuya my child. We still hope he will return to us one day, and bless us with even bigger technological marvels."

Why is this show constantly making technological breakthroughs? Why is Tatsuya the one solving them all?

Aug 10, 2014 8:33 AM

Sep 2008
SetsunaFromSeiei said:
nina4life said:
Oh look, Tatsuya is going to solve one of the great mysteries. Wow. He must be smart. Oh well, guess I should've come to that conclussion after he solved unsolvable mysteries before.

One day, after Tatsuya decides he's tired of this world and develops faster-than-light travel children will read books about him.
"It is all the work of great Tatsuya my child. We still hope he will return to us one day, and bless us with even bigger technological marvels."

Why is this show constantly making technological breakthroughs? Why is Tatsuya the one solving them all?

Then hint at that, or hell, flat out say that. Anything God, anything will do, just stop making constant development without any explanations or character developments.
If they have shown a scene with
that would have been hint enough. Or world rumour about that sort of thing.
Yet no, he keeps developing things no one else can within month he sets his eyes on it. Or less, if he wants.
Instead of magic explanations (which are usually incredibly long, boring and unneccessary), how about some Tatsuya explanations? How about world build-up?
It drives me insane there are sooooo many interesting things in their world yet none are getting any screen time. This show could've been my favorite show in years, and by first episode intro it seemed as one, yet it developed into "Tatsuya develops stuff no one else can and kicks ash while doing that".
Nothing exists here except for Tatsuya and his blushing sister. Nothing and no one. And even with that not even those two are getting explained. At all. They had no character development besides "they love each other very much".
Sigh.
Aug 10, 2014 8:36 AM

Apr 2008
nina4life said:
SetsunaFromSeiei said:

Then hint at that, or hell, flat out say that. Anything God, anything will do, just stop making constant development without any explanations or character developments.
Yet no, he keeps developing things no one else can within month he sets his eyes on it. Or less, if he wants.
Instead of magic explanations (which are usually incredibly long, boring and unneccessary), how about some Tatsuya explanations? How about world build-up?
It drives me insane there are sooooo many interesting things in their world yet none are getting any screen time. This show could've been my favorite show in years, and by first episode intro it seemed as one, yet it developed into "Tatsuya develops stuff no one else can and kicks ash while doing that".
Nothing exists here except for Tatsuya and his blushing sister. Nothing and no one. And even with that not even those two are getting explained. At all. They had no character development besides "they love each other very much".
Sigh.

If you want the full world building experience you're probably better off starting the novels. The translations are fairly up to date really.
Aug 10, 2014 8:47 AM
Apr 2012
Fantastic start to the new arc. There being a Thesis competition is fascinating, I expect Tatsuyas knowledge to help First High shine. His step-mother I am not a fan but this stone has certainly ramped up the stakes already. Tatsuyas wiped out those guys and that sniper (great skill). I just loved Miyuki in this episode, what she was wearing was lovely, nice bizarre compliment Tatsuya! 10/10 episode as usual.
Aug 10, 2014 9:25 AM
May 2013
nina4life said:

Why is this show constantly making technological breakthroughs? Why is Tatsuya the one solving them all? When are side-characters going to get character development? When is Miyuki going to stop blushing? When is Miyuki going to stop repeating onii-sama and get development?
This is like watching Hellsing ultimate except they didn't show any character developing scenes and just show Alucard going around killing people. Lady Hellsing doesn't get any speeches, just repeats to Alucard "search and destroy".

TL;DR: Give me some bloody character development instead of technological ones. They keep mentioning how ten families are important and even propose Tatsuya marries into one. But that gets 10 seconds of screen while explaining magic with mumbo-jumbo takes 15 minutes. The other 4 are Miyuki blushing.

This project is Tatsuya's goal as a scientist but he is not the only one with this goal, it was skipped in the first arc but Ichihara heard that he shared the same goal as her and decided to add him as a replacement member.. Isori too is working on this.

Aug 10, 2014 10:27 AM

Dec 2010
nina4life said:
SetsunaFromSeiei said:

Sigh.

SetsunaFromSeieiAug 10, 2014 10:31 AM
Aug 10, 2014 10:38 AM
Feb 2013
Darklight0303 said:
AnimageNeby said:

You sure? ;-)

It seems you haven't yet pieced together the mechanics of his restoration even though it has already been hinted at visually last arc. The death needs to be instant if you want to kill him. I won't say more than that since I am already bordering close on spoiler.

I wasn't talking about the mechanics of his restoration, I was talking about getting a feel of suspense and dread. And for that you need a believable way for him to be in mortal danger. If the ONLY way is instant death, than that is no good neither, because that will never happen with a MC, at least, not as long as the series continues.

So, the 'mechanics' are part of the problem, if they are de-facto unbeatable (for the reasons mentioned above). There needs to be *something* introduced, even if only in one episode, where there is real danger: a falter of the 'mechanics', something that manages to interfere with the restoration, etc. The mangaka is free to introduce such a plotdevice. But he *does* need to introduce it, or it will become lame. An OP power always needs a weakness to remain interesting.

Take this scene. The moment he got shot, my first reaction was 'wow, he's mortally wounded. What will happen now? ' Alas, immediately followed by 'ah, but his immortality-restoration will kick in, and he'll have no damage whatsoever.'...and yes, that's exactly what happened. Thus, from now on, whatever will happen to him, you'll realise it doesn't really matter, as long as he's not outright dead. Which won't happen, because the whole anime revolves around him. So, basically, he'll ALWAYS be fine.

Surely you can see how that kills suspense?
AnimageNebyAug 10, 2014 10:44 AM
Aug 10, 2014 11:21 AM
May 2014
AnimageNeby said:
Darklight0303 said:

I wasn't talking about the mechanics of his restoration, I was talking about getting a feel of suspense and dread. And for that you need a believable way for him to be in mortal danger. If the ONLY way is instant death, than that is no good neither, because that will never happen with a MC, at least, not as long as the series continues.

So, the 'mechanics' are part of the problem, if they are de-facto unbeatable (for the reasons mentioned above). There needs to be *something* introduced, even if only in one episode, where there is real danger: a falter of the 'mechanics', something that manages to interfere with the restoration, etc. The mangaka is free to introduce such a plotdevice. But he *does* need to introduce it, or it will become lame. An OP power always needs a weakness to remain interesting.

Take this scene. The moment he got shot, my first reaction was 'wow, he's mortally wounded. What will happen now? ' Alas, immediately followed by 'ah, but his immortality-restoration will kick in, and he'll have no damage whatsoever.'...and yes, that's exactly what happened. Thus, from now on, whatever will happen to him, you'll realise it doesn't really matter, as long as he's not outright dead. Which won't happen, because the whole anime revolves around him. So, basically, he'll ALWAYS be fine.

Well MC in almost all anime is almost immortal anyway so self-restoration dosen't matter instead it makes it more cool xD Plus almost every skill has weakness for example they can keep killing him again and again until nothing left well that could happen if he meet some strong oppenent.

but well i think this like 2nd arc and LN has so many arc so i guess too soon for that...
Aug 10, 2014 12:08 PM

Aug 2014
A good starting episode for the new arc. Tatsuya gets chosen to write a thesis now, big surprise. I'm willing to bet he actually manages to bust the second of the Three Mysteries.

The stepmother was just obnoxious and annoying (though her rack is an eye-catcher), glad Tatsuya made her rage. Miyuki was just the cutest this episode, hope she gets time to shine as well.

Engrish at its finest... those guys deserved to die. Didn't really get what that talk about the sniper was for, i mean Tatsuya one-shot him, yet later he talked about how skilled and dangerous he was. For a normal person - sure, but not for Onii-sama.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Aug 10, 2014 12:43 PM
Feb 2013
mohit550 said:
AnimageNeby said:

Well MC in almost all anime is almost immortal anyway so self-restoration dosen't matter instead it makes it more cool xD Plus almost every skill has weakness for example they can keep killing him again and again until nothing left well that could happen if he meet some strong oppenent.

but well i think this like 2nd arc and LN has so many arc so i guess too soon for that...

True, (almost) all MC won't get killed, but that is only so in a meta-sense: it's from the '4th wall' viewpoint (aka, we, the viewer/watcher). We know the mangaka/publisher won't let their MC die soon, because otherwise, the anime looses it's main aspect. (You do have some exceptions if there is more than 1 MC, but that's for another time).

However, when not viewed from our perspective/meta-aspect, aka 'in story', most anime will let you have at least the impression and the possibility that the MC will be killed. It's illusionary, of course, but it's there. Only if it's becoming obvious that it will never happen, does it become boring. Thus, you can't keep adding drama and make us feel dread and suspense and empathy for the MC when nothing ever happens, and he miraculously survives every god damn time, even when stabbed through the heart or constantly being in mortal danger but always healing up. Think OP, Bleach, Fairytale, etc. After a while it really gets annoying, but worse, you can't really empathise or care about the MC anymore in any 'death-struggle', because you know the drill by then.

In short, if you want to create 'feels' about someone 'dying', have some real drama, you must let your deaths count. Not too many, not too few, but certainly not too many who never materialises.

So, yes, it's bad enough many anime not only have their MC never die (meta-cause), they often don't have 'real' deaths at all (except with the 'bad guys'). Lesser anime make their MC and nakama de facto immortal. But if you're going to make your MC immortal even 'in-story', and explicitly so, like in this one, it's really not helping.

That said, maybe you are right, and it's still a bit too early. Continuously letting him die until there is 'nothing left' (or at least the impression/possibility of it) would be a good take on that, indeed. Hopefully in the future they will introduce 'real' danger to him (in story, thus).

I don't want to be too harsh, and I think the critics here often have too much negativism in their posts, but, well, one can't deny some things could have been executed a bit better. The anime is fairly enjoyable, but *does* use a lot of tropes, which they repeat pretty often, and the characterisation, especially of the side characters, isn't exactly stellar neither. The worldbuilding itself is ok, and there are some nifty concepts in it (science as an aid to magic), etc. So...it's not bad, but it's not spectacular neither.

I just think that, with a little bit of extra effort, they could have made it vastly better, and draw out it's full potential. But, as said, I get that from a lot of anime. You have bad ones and good ones, but it's the in-betweens I find often most frustrating because of the 'missed opportunities'-feel I get of it. But still, as long as I find it mildly entertaining and enjoyable, I'll keep watching. This season there are a whole bunch of new 'ok' anime which aren't really bad but aren't really superb neither.
Aug 10, 2014 2:39 PM

Jan 2012
This is literally the next Fullmetal Alchemist now.
Aug 10, 2014 2:52 PM

Jun 2013
I know bad things happen when a Philosopher's Stone is being used. The "Engrish" in this episode was the one of the few things I can understand because the of info dump they added on this one too.

*Insert Incest Comment Here*
Aug 10, 2014 3:58 PM

May 2012
Oohh I enjoyed this ep! And Tatsuya's ability to self regenerate and so quickly still catches me ogg-guard and have me giggle to myself. I cant get enough of him and when he holds those Silver guns in his hand too. Kyyaaa!

So new arc and newww enemies!! Cant wait to see Tatsuya sweat and work hard to resolve this one. Bring it on! :DD
""You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things...
Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest."
- Izaya

Aug 10, 2014 4:32 PM
Jun 2009
AnimageNeby said:
Darklight0303 said:

You sure? ;-)

I think you play too much Call of Duty.

BOOM HEADSHOT is not as easy as in a videogame.

Snipers are trained to hit the largest target (chest/torso) to increase their chances of getting a shot in. Especially at thousands of meters away.

In fact, that doesn't just apply to snipers, it applies to policeman as well. Aiming for the head is idiotic.
Aug 10, 2014 7:14 PM
Aug 2012
more long boring conversations and now shitty engrish... even better
Aug 10, 2014 9:18 PM

Aug 2008
Maybe I am having too much expectations due to all the hype on Yokohama arc or maybe we haven't reach the best part yet. Hopefully,it's the later one.

Regardless,this is just another one of your typical boring Mahouka episode where too much boring talking and explanation on Magic this and that.

Visual Novel reader,something I want to ask you. Is there going to be any good guys in Mahouka that die or all the time,the MC and his friends always prevail. If there is just say yes but don't tell me who's going to die because that will be spoiler.
ZapredonAug 10, 2014 9:34 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 11, 2014 1:05 AM

Jul 2010
Hahahaha. That attempt at English was hilarious.
Episode highlight: "I didn't expect this guy coming."
Aug 11, 2014 8:01 AM

Aug 2011

This anime is cancerous to my well being.
And since when the hell could Tatsuya ride a motorcycle!?

dat engrish tho
Aug 12, 2014 7:19 AM

Dec 2013
NihonFalcom said:

This anime is cancerous to my well being.
And since when the hell could Tatsuya ride a motorcycle!?

dat engrish tho

Surprisingly, since I started reading the LN a few days ago (on book 3 now...) I can actually answer this question. He was able to ride a motorcycle since the first volume actually. Apparently in the future, age isn't the base criteria when allowing individuals to play with motorcycles and stuff like this.

That said, I really enjoyed watching this episode. We finally got to see and hear the step-mother and how she treats her step-children. I seriously have no idea why their father would even marry that bitchy lady. She sounds all stuck up and entitled or something. No wonder Miyuki hates her (regardless of the fact that their dad married her half a year after their true mother died).

The Philosopher's Stone has been used in so many stories and animes that I don't even know where to begin... But I guess whatever works, eh? Magic sequence programmable stones, sounds fun.

So Miyuki becomes the Vice President to the incoming Student Council? I wonder how they're gonna operate there. She'll have so much less time to be with her Onii-Sama then. Of course, now that he's suppose to help with the Thesis Competition, coupled with his Disciplinary Committee stuff, they're both gonna be too busy for anything, methinks.

Got a question though, does this mean that a year has already passed at the school since they enrolled? If so, I would love to see what new students show up in this arc (assuming they are in second year now).

Well, more of the same would do be just fine, I can't wait to see those Chinese Terrorists get their arses handed to them.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Aug 12, 2014 9:53 AM

Jun 2010
L-Ryoshi said:

Got a question though, does this mean that a year has already passed at the school since they enrolled? If so, I would love to see what new students show up in this arc (assuming they are in second year now).

The year hasn't passed yet - "Thesis Competition, is held at the last Sunday of October". The 3rd years like Mayumi, Juumonji and Mari are still around and pretty much get all their stuff sorted out now - like working in the successors for their respective positions (Kaon succeeding Mari as head of the Disciplinary, Hattori getting Juumonji's post and little Azusa as the new student council president) because with the coming winter it is nearly the time for the 3rd years to prepare for their exams.

Before the new year officially starts and the new students arrive is still a long way. Nothing we would be likely to see in this adaption.
Aug 12, 2014 4:22 PM

Apr 2013
ReasonDesu said:
only difference is that FMA is actually good, mahouka is just garbage.
Aug 12, 2014 4:23 PM

Apr 2013
Sourire said:
ReasonDesu said:
Look out, danpmss might come after you.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 12, 2014 4:24 PM

May 2010
Emnay said:
Sourire said:

You have my sword.
Aug 12, 2014 4:38 PM

Apr 2013
wrenchbread said:
Emnay said:

You have my sword.
And my CAD.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 12, 2014 5:24 PM
Oct 2012
Apologies if I got the imbedded quotes wrong
Darklight0303 said:

No, you go for the chest because it is a bigger target. Basically draw a triangle from the heart to the other side of the chest up to the base of the neck. That is the target. When you think about how wind, gravity, and other factors, not matter how small, can turn a hit into a miss, you err on the side of caution. Besides a good chest shot will leave a nice big whole coming out of the back.

AnimageNeby said:
I don't want to be too harsh, and I think the critics here often have too much negativism in their posts, but, well, one can't deny some things could have been executed a bit better. The anime is fairly enjoyable, but *does* use a lot of tropes, which they repeat pretty often, and the characterisation, especially of the side characters, isn't exactly stellar neither. The worldbuilding itself is ok, and there are some nifty concepts in it (science as an aid to magic), etc. So...it's not bad, but it's not spectacular neither.

I just think that, with a little bit of extra effort, they could have made it vastly better, and draw out it's full potential. But, as said, I get that from a lot of anime. You have bad ones and good ones, but it's the in-betweens I find often most frustrating because of the 'missed opportunities'-feel I get of it. But still, as long as I find it mildly entertaining and enjoyable, I'll keep watching. This season there are a whole bunch of new 'ok' anime which aren't really bad but aren't really superb neither.

Being one of the negative ones who is starting to enjoy the show, I want to agree with what you wrote. I only started to enjoy this show around the 14th episode, but after the 19th I went back and rewatched the episodes I hated, and much of what I hated I can now see were foreshadowing so in retrospect they weren't not that bad (and there were a lot of things I recalled differently, oh time).

But as you said they could have done the start a bit differently and made this show a lot better for first time viewers.
Aug 12, 2014 6:46 PM

May 2011
I really need to start reading the LN, it looks interesting. :D
Aug 12, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2014
Emnay said:
wrenchbread said:

You have my sword.
And my CAD.
Can you hold them all, tho?
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Aug 12, 2014 7:20 PM

Feb 2014
Sapewloth said:
Emnay said:
And my CAD.

Don't worry, the others can use it and i am the one who got praised. No one can win unless it's because of my help.
Aug 12, 2014 7:33 PM

May 2011
AnimageNeby said:
mohit550 said:

True, (almost) all MC won't get killed, but that is only so in a meta-sense: it's from the '4th wall' viewpoint (aka, we, the viewer/watcher). We know the mangaka/publisher won't let their MC die soon, because otherwise, the anime looses it's main aspect. (You do have some exceptions if there is more than 1 MC, but that's for another time).

However, when not viewed from our perspective/meta-aspect, aka 'in story', most anime will let you have at least the impression and the possibility that the MC will be killed. It's illusionary, of course, but it's there. Only if it's becoming obvious that it will never happen, does it become boring. Thus, you can't keep adding drama and make us feel dread and suspense and empathy for the MC when nothing ever happens, and he miraculously survives every god damn time, even when stabbed through the heart or constantly being in mortal danger but always healing up. Think OP, Bleach, Fairytale, etc. After a while it really gets annoying, but worse, you can't really empathise or care about the MC anymore in any 'death-struggle', because you know the drill by then.

In short, if you want to create 'feels' about someone 'dying', have some real drama, you must let your deaths count. Not too many, not too few, but certainly not too many who never materialises.

So, yes, it's bad enough many anime not only have their MC never die (meta-cause), they often don't have 'real' deaths at all (except with the 'bad guys'). Lesser anime make their MC and nakama de facto immortal. But if you're going to make your MC immortal even 'in-story', and explicitly so, like in this one, it's really not helping.

That said, maybe you are right, and it's still a bit too early. Continuously letting him die until there is 'nothing left' (or at least the impression/possibility of it) would be a good take on that, indeed. Hopefully in the future they will introduce 'real' danger to him (in story, thus).

You're right for the most part that the anime hasn't introduced away to kill the MC, but let me tell you something, from the begging of the anime to this very moment, the MC hasn't confronted a real threat, he was fighting weak opponents from the very start. Don't forget that he's military and joined the war and killed unknown amount of people and the most importantly, he SURVIVED the war. so It's natural to think that he possesses an immense amount of power by now. for a man that survived something like that to be killed by a mere sniper ? It even sounds lame to me! all the enemies that he defeated weren't any big deal.

The real fight and the real deal is the Yotsubas, the clan that made a weapon out of him, don't forget that he once said that with all the glory he had reached being Taurus Silver and with all the military power he possesses, he can't beat the Yotsubas. You can't now imagine how terrifying that clan is, for someone like Tatsuya to say something like that.

Ohh, the last thing, don't forget that he was shedding bleeding from the nose when he activated/cast that sequence to beat that cocky prince. He was effected by his own sequence and he was bleeding, that's a clear evidence shows that Tatsuya isn't invincible and can be harmed.
Aug 12, 2014 7:35 PM

Jan 2014
Flashoftheback said:
Sapewloth said:

Don't worry, the others can use it and i am the one who got praised. No one can win unless it's because of my help.
Oniisamaaaaa...*literally dripping wet with incestuous desire, right now*
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Aug 12, 2014 7:43 PM

Aug 2014
MysticArte said:
ShAd0w said:
Dat auto-regeneration. Good ep can't wait to see more.

Btw. So when oniisama will turn into Iron-man niisama LOL? When I see that scene at the end of second op I'm always thinking "Iron-man?".

You should be thinking of Batman.

The onii-sama that Miyuki needs, but not the one she deserves.

Nope!! We should be thinking Batsuya and also *insert Hans Zimmerman obligatory theme*

If they ever make Mahouka into a trilogy here is what they should be called:

Batsuya Begins
The Dark Sis-Con
The Dark Sis-Con Rises
Aug 14, 2014 7:40 AM

May 2014
@ Grimlokk unfortunately he has gotten over Batsuya and now in Super Sentai (or I think it's Kamen Rider) mode :)
Aug 14, 2014 8:46 PM
Feb 2013
"I didn't expect this guy coming"

Genius level script.
Aug 16, 2014 2:35 AM

Dec 2011
Looks like we went on a time skip. Since they mentioned Miyuki becoming a vice chairwoman, it looks like the 3rd years (Mari, Saegusa, and Jumonji) are not there anymore.

Hopefully, this arc will add even more challenge to Tatsuya, like not figuring out quickly the contents of that magatama, or rather a powerful villain that is better than the Crimson Prince.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2014 3:53 AM

Aug 2008
Fiji said:
Looks like we went on a time skip. Since they mentioned Miyuki becoming a vice chairwoman, it looks like the 3rd years (Mari, Saegusa, and Jumonji) are not there anymore.

Hopefully, this arc will add even more challenge to Tatsuya, like not figuring out quickly the contents of that magatama, or rather a powerful villain that is better than the Crimson Prince.

ZapredonAug 16, 2014 3:56 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 16, 2014 9:10 AM

May 2014
Zapredon said:

[spoiler]
not villain but enemies,and it won't be a shonen type good vs evil thing.Good thing is you will see almost all the main First High students in action,if they adapt it properly :)
Aug 16, 2014 11:44 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:
Zapredon said:

[spoiler]
not villain but enemies,and it won't be a shonen type good vs evil thing.Good thing is you will see almost all the main First High students in action,if they adapt it properly :)
[/quote]
Well, it's not shounen type good vs evil thing, but fanfic type Gary Stu vs fodder. :P
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Aug 16, 2014 11:45 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:

Well, it's not shounen type good vs evil thing, but fanfic type Gary Stu vs fodder. :P

:heh your turning into wrenchbread 2.0 :)
Aug 16, 2014 12:12 PM

May 2010
Don't mind me. I still read some of these posts and only step in when I feel like I have to. Otherwise, consider it silent agreement with jakkabus.
Aug 16, 2014 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
Getting boring again...

P.S.: dat engrish doe
Aug 17, 2014 10:12 AM

Aug 2013
So why has the student council changed? Third years are clearly still around as Suzune proves so what happened? On another note this was a good episode with lots of exposition which is to be expected of an arc opening episode.
Aug 17, 2014 10:21 AM

May 2014
-Robunaga said:
So why has the student council changed? Third years are clearly still around as Suzune proves so what happened? On another note this was a good episode with lots of exposition which is to be expected of an arc opening episode.

Vol 5 which they didn't adapt have a Student Council Election short story (the last chapter).Reason why, I think is for the 3rd years to concentrate for their University entrance exams when the 2nd term starts.
Aug 17, 2014 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
darkreaperix said:
Vol 5 which they didn't adapt have a Student Council Election short story (the last chapter).Reason why, I think is for the 3rd years to concentrate for their University entrance exams when the 2nd term starts.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. I became even more confused once I saw that Mayumi and Mari were still kicking around in the next episode!
Aug 25, 2014 2:26 AM

Oct 2013
dam this episode felt way to short
he killed them all O_O what a badass
sooooooo he is and android ????? of some sorts
lol the only one he wants to marry is his sister lol
[/quote]
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.