Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 2, 2014 9:35 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

Could someone please tell me the significance of the live action footage used in the second half of the film. I have no clue as to what it symbolizes or what it has to do with anything.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Nov 16, 2014 5:17 PM

razortongue said:
Could someone please tell me the significance of the live action footage used in the second half of the film. I have no clue as to what it symbolizes or what it has to do with anything.

I'm pretty sure it's just there to express Shinji dreaming of an entirely different reality.

I did personally feel that it was extremely out of place. But it is my favorite anime film none the less.
mitch3315 said:
This might be a bit hard for you to believe, I know I didn't at first, but the thing is that other people actually have different opinions to your own. Crazy, right? How dare they not conform to your opinion on this show, or any other, who the hell do they think they are?

Apr 17, 2015 2:26 AM

Willard_Filmore said:
razortongue said:

I'm pretty sure it's just there to express Shinji dreaming of an entirely different reality.

I did personally feel that it was extremely out of place. But it is my favorite anime film none the less.

Never thought of it that way, but that's pretty interesting.

My theory on it was to show that the Evangelion was supposed to apply to reality, instead of being purely restricted to being entertainment, carrying through the messages and lessons that Anno wanted viewers to learn.

Ultra-late to post, but whatevs
#BanStupidity

Jul 19, 2015 9:22 PM

In one of the scenes with people walking in the street, there are a series of banners along the side, all printed with the word "あかしゃ" (Akasha)

"In Hinduism, Akasha means the basis and essence of all things in the material world. In Jainism, Akasha is space in the Jain conception of the cosmos. Akasha is that which gives space and makes room for the existence of all extended substances."

Just something curious I noticed, but seems to fit the overall theme of what's happening in the second half of this movie.

Jul 25, 2015 3:59 AM

I thought it was to juxtapose the dialogue about dreams that's going on during the sequence.

That's what is being talked about in that scene, right? I can't quite remember.

Jul 25, 2015 4:20 AM

First and foremost I think it's a reference to Ideon Be Invoked.

A central or THE central theme of Eva is escapism.When Shinji strangles "Asuka"(or more what she represents in that scene,the reality Shinji fears) he is abandoning reality and escapes into a dream.I think the la-sequences emphasises this conflict.
I always found it strange how distant,yet peaceful the "reality" looks and how lost and empty the characters look in it.

ToaofJustice said:
I thought it was to juxtapose the dialogue about dreams that's going on during the sequence.

That's what is being talked about in that scene, right? I can't quite remember.

Yeah basically this.It's an art choice at the end of the day but makes sense given the context and most importantly the themes of the movie.

Shinji: Hey.
Rei: What is it?
Shinji: What are dreams?
Asuka: Dreams?
Rei: Yes, dreams.
[A shot of people in a movie theatre. After a few seconds, a white text, reading [size=200]"Does it feel good?"[/size](could be a question towards the viewer if we feel good at escaping reality by watching this movie maybe??), appears. Afterwards, a shot of the three voice actresses for Rei, Asuka, and Misato (from left to right, respectively: Megumi Hayashibara, Yuko Miyamura, and Kotono Mitsuishi) is shown]
Shinji: I don't understand. [size=200]I don't understand what reality is.[/size]
Rei: You can't bridge the gap between your own truth and the reality of others.
Shinji: [size=200]I don't know where to find happiness.[/size]
Rei: So you only find happiness in your dreams.
Shinji: [size=200]Then... this is not reality? This world where no one exists?[/size] (basically Instrumentality and Shinjis's escape into it in a nutshell)
Rei: No. It is only a dream.
Shinji: [size=200]Then I don't exist here either.[/size]
Rei: This convenient fabrication is your attempt to change reality.
Shinji: Is that wrong?
Rei: [size=200]You were using fantasy to escape reality.[/size]
Shinji: Why can't I dream that I'm alone?
Rei: [size=200]That is not a dream. That is a substitute for reality.[/size]
[Another shot of the theatre. A few seconds later, the scene dissolves into a shot of the same theatre, now empty]
Shinji:[size=200] So where is my dream?
Rei: It is a continuation of reality.
Shinji: But where is my reality.
Rei: It is at the end of your dream.(=fuck escapism and get a life,accept reality and most importantly yourself blabla)
[/size]

It could also be one of Anno's other middlefinger to it's audience.Showing how they are just sitting there,wasting their life with a movie and trying to escape reality themselves.Ofc he doesn't mind because these are the same people he cashes in on,or maybe he just wants to makes "us"(the viewers) aware of it.Idk.

Btw for anyone who doesn't already know
http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate-live-action-sequence/
Modified by _HeroKenzan_, Jul 25, 2015 10:27 PM