Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 7, 2014 7:10 AM
Jan 2011
Hayatempest said:
eccomi said:

Also, I've got something that's been bothering me. I looked at the chapter with the flashback (where Gyokuen speaks with Aladdin) and I noticed that both Ugo and Arba appear normal while Sheba is the one that is hinted at being the traitor. Also at the beginning of the arc, Sheba looks all weird (which is explained in this chapter) but Arba is seemingly crying while hugging Ugo. Did Ohtaka-san originally mean to make Sheba Gyokuen or was that just to throw us off for shock value? Either way it's fantastic and I loved the chapter :3

She wanted to mislead us and I believe she intended for arba to be Gyokuen from the start. It's clear that Ohtaka has been planning for this arc ever since Ithnan made his appearance at least. We see a vision of Solomon and what looks like his queen, some chapters later we see a ghost of a woman who Aladdin identifies as his mother, and finally, when Gyokuen reveals herself as the magi who betrayed Solomon, she refers to Ithnan as boy/child. Also, Ohtaka has been dropping hints Arba could be Gyokuen ever since Love Sickness, and here are the ones I can remmeber:

-In Love Sickness, we learn Arba is stronger than Solomon and that she's hiding her real power. This didn't bode well and hinted it will play some role later on.

-In Close, we see the silhouette of Arba in black while as Sheba in white. Black=black rukhs, white=white rukhs. We also learn that she's the oldest, which is a reference to Gyokuen referring to Ithnan as boy/child. In addition, Arba says that humans of old had sexual intercourse all year long and were always making children. While reading this line, I couldn't help but remember Gyokuen who gave birth to four kids and stayed married for over two decades, and probably all tanks to Hakutoku being a wonderful man and lover.

-In the cathedral chapter Arba kills the one who was the closest thing to father to her while displaying that smile that was reminiscent of Gyokuen's.

-When she finally meets Illah (again?) she says the exact same line as Gyokuen's while tearing up.

-finally, Gyokuen always referred to Solomon as 'king Solomon', and this is what Arba always addressed him as, while as Sheba always addressed him as just 'Solomon'.

While I would severly criticize the pacing in the last 5-6 chapters, I think Ohtaka did put a lot of thought into Sheba and Arba's identities and meant to mislead her readers from the begining. From the start, we had two candidates for Gyokuen: a random baby who was left at the church's doorsteps and an over 100 year old powerful magician who was created by the one who could be the series' final boss. Obviously, Going with Arba as Gyokuen makes a lot more sense than her going with Sheba, since she has a stronger connection to David. Not to mention, if Sheba is Gyokuen, that will make Aladdin Hakuryuu and Hakuei's brother, and that will be too awkward, especially since there was no prior foreshadowing to that sort of connection between them.

My theory that Sheba is the medium went down the drain, but I guess it's better this way;: it would've only had so much impact if the real Solomon witnessed it. Aladdin said it was different from the Magnostadt medium, so I wonder how it will turn out.

Also, I don't know if anyone already noticed it, but Momo was accompanying Ugo when he found Sheba and was shown mourning her death:

Momo?!
KanameFujiwaraAug 7, 2014 7:13 AM
Aug 7, 2014 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Darklight0303 said:
vickypix said:

Stop lying, she actually said this arc was longer than she planed. But hey let's blame the fans for the mangaka's mistakes!

Fans always ruin series when they get to call the shots. This is fact

Note that the following part is subjective and I already mentioned it some months ago:

The Magi fandom in Japan has't been as active during this arc and some even voiced they're not enjoying this arc as much as the other ones. For example on pixiv, there aren't as many Alma Toran-centered fanart and fics as I expected there would be, and most of the new entries are based on the main cast. There's been a brief boost on Magi fanart during the weeks when ch 222.5 and the one about the board game were out, and that's a testament to how readers there want the main characters back. Ohtaka seems to be aware of the mixed reception of this arc in her blog entries with her saying : "please accompany me for a little longer"

Now the question is: was Ohtaka affected by the fans' reaction to this arc and decided to end it early? Whatever it was, in the end I'll blame Ohtaka's poor planning and compromising of the quality of her work, not the fans. If the arc should've taken only three months like her original plan, then she should've cut down on the slice-of-life moments and left enough chapters for the parts that the entire arc has been building up to: the confrontation between Solomon and David and the rebellion.

I can see that Ohtaka has gotten attached to the Alma Toran cast and wanted to depict Al-Thamen as normal people before they changed. I see no harm if this arc went on for another 6-7 chapters. In the end, the only ones who would've complained about it are those who follow the weekly release of the manga, not those who would read the manga later through the volumes and will be able to finish the arc in a few hours. I just hope that Ohtaka learns from this and that the manga will go back to its usual quality when we get back to the main cast.
Aug 7, 2014 8:28 AM

Apr 2008
Hayatempest said:
Darklight0303 said:

Note that the following part is subjective and I already mentioned it some months ago:

The Magi fandom in Japan has't been as active during this arc and some even voiced they're not enjoying this arc as much as the other ones. For example on pixiv, there aren't as many Alma Toran-centered fanart and fics as I expected there would be, and most of the new entries are based on the main cast. There's been a brief boost on Magi fanart during the weeks when ch 222.5 and the one about the board game were out, and that's a testament to how readers there want the main characters back. Ohtaka seems to be aware of the mixed reception of this arc in her blog entries with her saying : "please accompany me for a little longer"

Now the question is: was Ohtaka affected by the fans' reaction to this arc and decided to end it early? Whatever it was, in the end I'll blame Ohtaka's poor planning and compromising of the quality of her work, not the fans. If the arc should've taken only three months like her original plan, then she should've cut down on the slice-of-life moments and left enough chapters for the parts that the entire arc has been building up to: the confrontation between Solomon and David and the rebellion.

I can see that Ohtaka has gotten attached to the Alma Toran cast and wanted to depict Al-Thamen as normal people before they changed. I see no harm if this arc went on for another 6-7 chapters. In the end, the only ones who would've complained about it are those who follow the weekly release of the manga, not those who would read the manga later through the volumes and will be able to finish the arc in a few hours. I just hope that Ohtaka learns from this and that the manga will go back to its usual quality when we get back to the main cast.

That is unfortunate. The moment fans get a sense of property over a series is the moment it starts to suffer since the author has to make more and more concessions to stay afloat. I salute authors who stick to their original plan through thick and thin.
Aug 7, 2014 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
^ Even if she knew a group of her fans aren't enjoying this arc, she should have just focused on telling a good story and not listen. Just like the Fishman Island arc in One Piece, this arc was pretty divisive: some fans liked it, some people didn't. The only difference is that the Fishman Island arc, though possibly not among the best in OP, still ended up being a pretty solid arc and didn't suffer from pacing issues like the last third of the Alma Toran arc. I hope it's just like Rachmaninow said and it was more due to the arc getting longer than planned and her poor planning.

People also complained about the medium chapters, and ohtaka still spent ten chapters where the characters mostly did nothing but spam one extreme magic after another. Thanks to that, volume 20 is the lowest rated Magi volume so far and those chapters were the most criticized ones before the Alma Toran arc. However, Ohtaka seemed to have taken complaints into consideration, and by the time the Second Balbadd arc started, the story went back to its usual quality as if nothing happened. I hope the same will happen after this arc is over.
removed-userAug 7, 2014 11:13 AM
Aug 7, 2014 2:30 PM

Dec 2013
Darklight0303 said:
vickypix said:

Stop lying, she actually said this arc was longer than she planed. But hey let's blame the fans for the mangaka's mistakes!

There has been no evidence that the fans are to blame. She didn't plan it well ( considering the blog posts) it's the mangaka and her editors 's faults not the fans

Aug 7, 2014 3:26 PM
Jul 2012
Honestly I liked this arch more than what's been going on in the current timeline
Aug 8, 2014 12:23 PM

Dec 2013
x5thStProdigyx said:
Honestly I liked this arch more than what's been going on in the current timeline

You don't really like the manga that much then

Aug 10, 2014 7:05 AM

Feb 2013
vickypix said:
x5thStProdigyx said:

You don't really like the manga that much then

Liking a specific arc over others doesn't imply that. Alma Torran's arc features some of the best characters of Magi, a very interesting cast that shapes the rest of the story of Magi. I'd have loved it even more if the author didn't decide to rush these last few chapters.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Aug 11, 2014 4:54 PM

Mar 2014
I hate Arba.

Also, its too bad this was rushed. Ohtaka should have been given the benefit of the doubt since she has been producing a brilliant story till now. Magi is far from those series that are in a perpetual state of stalling (such as Hajime no ippo). Making a great story (which magi is so far) takes time. Still i believe this will have a minimal impact on the overall story of Magi.
Aug 13, 2014 1:53 PM

Jun 2013
So... I didn´t get into Magi for a long time. And even before that arc I thought the series was only kinda mediocre.
But this arc is just amazing. I don´t quite understand why people aren´t that interested in it.
The last few chapters were just amazingly dark and creepy (for a shonen).
Aug 13, 2014 2:21 PM

Nov 2012
confused_Imakuni said:
So... I didn´t get into Magi for a long time. And even before that arc I thought the series was only kinda mediocre.
But this arc is just amazing. I don´t quite understand why people aren´t that interested in it.
The last few chapters were just amazingly dark and creepy (for a shonen).

because its better when you marathon it but kinda silly if you waited a week, a week, a week and so on because this is only fvking flashback :p
like kuroko no basket teiko flashback,
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 17, 2014 9:06 AM

Jun 2008
Arba's decent felt way too quick for me

Aug 17, 2014 11:59 AM
Feb 2013
The fight should have lasted longer, it was the take over we have been hearing about since the start of the series plus the fight seemed to have a lot of potential. rip sheba
Aug 18, 2014 1:15 AM

Jun 2013
Wait Sheba is...what Isn't it supposed to be Arba that..? Yep i knew it....Arba is that Traitor..Gyokuen!!!
Al-Thamen has Born!!!! but I did not expect every single one of the Mage's Expect of Urgo and Sheba to revolt. Where are Those who side with Sheba and SOlomon?

FREAKING KNEW IT!!! ALLADIN IS SON OF SOLOMON!!!!! IT WAS CLEAR BUT!! F**K YEAH!!!!!
I officially hate Gyokuen from bottom of my heart...rest of the Magician...I do not...but Gyokuen better not get redemption...I don't care of her Reason, even if she may not be "total evil"

SHEBAA!!!!! T.T
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Mar 4, 2015 4:56 PM

Jun 2008
Sorry but the author is messing with us. During this whole process i had a hard time believing Arba will ewnd up being Gyokuen because of chapter 193. Just go not the last page to the one before it.

When everyone was bowing and celebrating Solomon the figure in the shadow with terrifying eyes is the one holding Sheba's staff and in the meantime Arba is showed next to her along with Ugo looking celebrating and having exactly the same expression as Ugo which clearly indicates that she had the same attitude as Ugo and the one with different feelings there was Sheba not Alba. Yet Ugo was with Sheba in this chapters and none of the events much that flashback page.

So i can only concluding that the mangaka deliberately misguided us which i find as bad writing. I mean is one thing tricking us but this was clearly different from what she drew in 193. This was basically like lying to us, not just giving us complicated hints that could confuse us.
OR back when she was making chapter 193 she had a different idea about Solomon's story and then she change her tune and decided to go in another way.
Just see the page am telling you and tell me how anything in this chapter fits with that? It doesn't fit at all.
Nov 20, 2015 10:56 AM

Sep 2014
Poor Sheba I actually cried a little, seeing her like that ;A;
Sep 11, 2016 11:33 AM
May 2015
Fuck,am I the only one who hates Sheba? Like yeah, Arba went crazy too, but Sheba was also being to delusional. I actually feel for the Ithan and the couple for changing sides.

Anyaway, this flashback has been really good. Like I think the only flashback that I'll ever be excited as this is the Black Century in One Piece. Oda has some pretty high standard to meet lol..
Oct 7, 2017 10:39 PM

Sep 2016
damnn son they are some traitors im disappointing in them their supposed follow by solomon through thick and thin the world was flowing good until they thirsted for power like cmon bruh and arba my sweet arba whyyy damn she was sexyy, that aladdin reveal thoooo
Facta Non Verba
Dec 18, 2019 7:30 PM

Jul 2016
Wait so fate actually isn't a higher metaphysical/ethical force? It's just some random guy's (Solomon's) opinion. So you're telling me that this whole time fate in the new world was just a usurper of Irrah? How does fate declare it's moral supremacy then?

(edit) Hmmm. On a second reflection on David's words it seems as though Irrah and original fate's will was to eventually create Solomon's fate. I guess that would once again explain why rejecting fate as a concept would lead to darkened Rukh. This would also explain why the Irrah summoned by Al thamen was different in nature than the original white Irrah.

That would also imply David did nothing wrong though lol
EsotericDesignDec 18, 2019 8:24 PM
All you can hope for in your worldview is consistency
Feb 10, 2021 7:55 PM
Apr 2020
Damn, that last page was painful
May 17, 2023 10:48 AM
May 2023
Man, one thing i truly don't get is why arba turned to the dark side too? Or was she twisted from the start and just keeping up appearances
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi Chapter 369 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2017

86 by mizukasa »»
Mar 23, 8:16 AM

» The Nen Show Podcast - Magi and Sinbad

MuffinManTho - Mar 17

0 by MuffinManTho »»
Mar 17, 9:48 AM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 27 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Sep 25, 2011

9 by brokeRyuk »»
Jan 26, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 7 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Jul 13, 2011

12 by brokeRyuk »»
Jan 19, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 3 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Jul 13, 2011

13 by AnklesAAA »»
Jan 5, 2:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.