Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 30, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, that escalated. I wasn't expecting Nagisa to be involved with his academics. It was a emotional little journey for him I guess. Good thing he's got his friends with him.

The feels of this episode though ;_; the bromance was so big!
Stark700Jul 30, 2014 9:07 AM
Jul 30, 2014 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
Nagisa requesting to practice as hard as possible. The reason being Nagisa's parents don't want him to swim, because his grades are not good. Rei (as well as everyone else) trying to help him face his parents. Fortunately, he stays with promise that he will study hard.

lol @ Nagisa's dreams.
tsubasaloverJul 30, 2014 8:53 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 30, 2014 9:08 AM
Sep 2012
I really liked Rei in this episode.
Jul 30, 2014 9:23 AM

Apr 2013
Great episode. Rei managed to encourage Nagisa to tell his parents how he really feels. Glad to hear that it all worked out in the end.
Jul 30, 2014 9:25 AM

Jun 2013
All of Nagisa's friends had his back all the time. The flashback when Nagisa nagged Rei to join the swim club was nice. That talk that Rei had with him was very impactful as well.
Jul 30, 2014 9:38 AM

Mar 2014
This was a pretty okay episode. Nagisa sure does have some troubling matters behind that optimistic behavior.
Jul 30, 2014 9:43 AM

Aug 2009
Sweet episode! Q v Q Baby Nagisa <3

I wonder if everyone is now going to get an episode based on themselves? o . o

(Am I the only one that REALLLYY wants to see an episode based on Gou and any type of past struggles? ; - ; )

OVERALL, Im tired of these sad episodes Q //// Q.. I really want some happy episodes T///T
Jul 30, 2014 9:47 AM

Sep 2008
From the start I feel this gonna be Amakata sensei.
But wonder how his parents looks like.
Jul 30, 2014 9:48 AM

Oct 2011
OMG Nagisa T___T. Rei brought him back. So glad he can stay with everyone TwT
Jul 30, 2014 9:50 AM
Apr 2014
that whole episode was just how dare you fuck with nagisa *____*
and rei busting in haru's house like nagisa's life depended on it<3333
i've been through so much today and all i did was sit in front of my computer for half an hour. .__.
Jul 30, 2014 9:50 AM

Dec 2011
Whoa, mood got really serious in this episode. Also, there were so many cute Nagisa x Rei moments in this episode omg!

And finally, some serious swimming action next week. Can't wait!
Jul 30, 2014 9:59 AM

Dec 2008
Aww I loved this episode!!! I can sympathize with Nagisa.
Jul 30, 2014 10:05 AM

Nov 2012
I didn't sign up for so many tears ;_;

Thought this episode was really well done, good to see Nagisa get more development
Jul 30, 2014 10:14 AM

Jul 2013
the episode was great this week. there was a lot of character development from nagisa and rei really got my respect. this season has been shaping up to be even better than last season
Jul 30, 2014 10:52 AM

Aug 2012
Seems like a lack of Rin also means a lack of his sister. It's be nice if Gou wasn't linked to her brother.

It was nice to see more Ama-chan though, and Nagisa needed more development, so that's okay.

and lol at Sosuke being the one to notice that Rin has toned up.

I like how Haru and Makoto seemed like parents themselves in this episode.
Jul 30, 2014 11:12 AM
Jul 2013
Since S1, there has always been two characters I wanted to know more about and that's Nagisa and Makoto. This was a good episode and I can relate to what Nagisa's going through. Argh! I literally suffocated my pillow while watching this episode and lol actually cried - which is a first for Free! but the feels this time was serious and too much.

As always the comedy is just top notch!
Everyone keeps saying Rei was amazing this episode and yes, he was but the whole time my eyes were on Haru and how far he has come (although he doesn't like to show it). BTW Haru walking outside with his apron and ladle was too cute and funny XD

Next episode we get Makoto's story and a early prefectural! In the light novel Makoto is like a fragile kid who is somewhat dependent on Haru so I'd like to see a change.
I would love a Gou centered episode, I don't see it happening. Although I would like to imagine Gou's life a bit lonesome: with her Dad's death, Rin in a boarding school, Mum working (just assuming cuz how does Rin even afford a boarding school and even going abroad to Australia?)
ADDThomJul 30, 2014 1:44 PM
Jul 30, 2014 11:22 AM

Apr 2013
Nice to have some development on Nagisa; Pretty decent episode this week.
Jul 30, 2014 11:31 AM
Jul 2014
The episode was pretty okay :) it was nice to see some development on Nagisa, the cute little moments between Rei and Nagisa were nice (no wonder people ship those two xD). It was nice to see everyone supporting him. Aww I have to say Haru-chan was cute too x).

Am I the only one that thinks this was a filler episode? :) it felt like filler to me.
Jul 30, 2014 11:36 AM
Aug 2011
MAMAkoto doing what he does best.
Rei's really been a breakthrough character for this series, both seasons included, he's the one that gets things moving when there's a problem.

Noxidian said:
Nagisa sure does have some troubling matters behind that optimistic behavior.

Isn't this usually the case in real life too though?
standJul 30, 2014 11:41 AM
Jul 30, 2014 11:42 AM

Feb 2014
Nice to know some background of Nagisa. I liked how they gave his character more depth. also ReixNagisa is always pretty nice to watch, they are cute
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Jul 30, 2014 11:43 AM

May 2013
Good episode. Nice of everyone to be by his side when it was looking bad for Nagisa.
Jul 30, 2014 11:45 AM

Apr 2014
Ooohh dang. This episode really hit home.
Let me tell you a story.
At the beginning of this year, I decided to join track. I wanted to drop my mile time to a six minute and just become faster and stay in shape for cross-country season. Honestly, I was really looking forward to running with my friends and improving my speed.
However, one day, my parents said that I had to quit track. Not only that, I wasn't allowed to socialize with my friends, stay in clubs, or play any games. I wasn't even allowed to draw. All my time was to be devoted to studying.
Ah, but I must have had bad grades, you must think! No, I had straight As...but my parents weren't satisfied. They thought I was doing poorly in school and spending too much time doing other things, so I was told to stay in my room and study instead of doing all the things that were fun for me.
That day I sat in my room and cried for hours, because I was upset, and sad, and angry at myself because I was so immature as to cry.
I never did talk to them. My parents are like Nagisa's- they want the best for me, but sometimes they overstep reason. I didn't go back to track, though over time they started letting me talk to my friends again. Even so, I'm still not allowed to play games or draw, so all of that has to be done behind their backs. I hate lying to them, but they would never allow me to do those things, ever again.

Therefore, I could really relate to Nagisa this episode. I've never really felt terribly emotional about any of the episodes in this series, but in this episode, I actually cried, because this was so accurate to my life and Nagisa pretty much summed up everything I had been feeling when he had the conversation with Ama-chan [ hidden behind the curtain ]. I wish I had friends who would be like the other team members- unfortunately, my friends just said that my parents were being ridiculous and to totally rebel when I couldn't bring myself to do that- and really, I can understand how thankful all of them are for each other. Like Rei said, I gave up before I even tried to work things out, but Nagisa didn't.

I must sound terribly silly relating to some anime episode, so let's put all the angst and emotions aside and talk about the rest of it.
Let me just say that I did not see that beginning coming. I actually jumped a little bit because it looked like something out of a horror movie, so just imagine how terrified Makoto must have been. Additionally, is Haruka's door always unlocked, or does Makoto have a key to get inside?

I honestly feel like Haru will become a pro swimmer. It's been hinted at a lot so far, and it's likely that swimming with Rin will make im realize that he can enjoy racing as well as just swimming. And I like how Haru actually has a personality in this season. He's not just the guy who will jump into any nearby body of water, he's somebody who takes action, tries to help people, genuinely wants the best for his team.

As I write these reviews, the idea of shipping the characters becomes a little bit...foreign? I feel like I'm seeing them so much more as friends. Yes, it's fun to ship them, and yes, I was super obsessed with ships, up until...a few days ago, I think. I mean, yes, there are hints of romance and whatnot, but for some reason, my view of their relationships has begun to transition more to something akin to friendship.

So who knows? Maybe, someday, I'll talk to my parents. I doubt it will change anything. But there's that little chance it might...

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Jul 30, 2014 11:56 AM

Mar 2011
Glad to see some development around Nagisa. Great episode.
Jul 30, 2014 12:01 PM

Mar 2011
Glad they focused on Nagisa this episode.
Jul 30, 2014 12:16 PM
Jan 2014
Great, I'm glad that they didn't overlook Nagisa's character. Good developent as usual. Gotta love the bromance friendship in this anime.
Jul 30, 2014 12:29 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hmm it was an okay episode for me. But it's nice to see that Nagisa got character development. I'm guessing that's what they're trying to focus more on this season, whereas last season was just mainly the conflict between Haruka and co. with Rin. It's great that everyone in the group are such great and caring friends ^^
Jul 30, 2014 12:38 PM

Mar 2013
Seeing Nagisa cry in this episode broke my heart.
I'm glad Haru, Rei and Makoto are always there for him. And I loved the cute little moments between Nagisa and Rei.
Jul 30, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 2014
So much bromance. All the feels in this episode ;_;. I felt so bad for Nagisa.
Jul 30, 2014 12:40 PM
Mar 2012
I knew it wasn't Haru in the tub because the pants had strawberries on them. I think Haru only wears fish underwear. ;)

Nagisa finally got some character development. It was about time though he's not my favourite character.
I wonder if it's Makotos turn next time or will they focus on swimming?

Not enough Matsuoka siblings in this episode though.
Jul 30, 2014 12:42 PM

Apr 2014
1/10 not enough Samezukas just kidding
abloo bloo Rin-senpai bloo ヽ(;▽;)ノ

I'm glad Nagisa FINALLY got some character development. Been waiting since -- what -- all of season one? It sucks, 'cause he was once my favorite character, but that won out to Rei in the latter episodes of S1 (and Rin rn) simply because he was too shallow a character. So, to reiterate: yay.

Do wish the way it had been wasn't so overblown -- not the issues themselves nor the reaction to them. The direction in the Voice Acting department and the animation department tried to make it a little too TRAGIC when underplaying it would have encouraged the audience to feel more instead of the show feeling it for them. There were some really great moments hiding in the rough, though, especially at the very end when Nagisa decided to change himself. My child. </3

Haru was great, though. Acting like a senpai? Him? Mermaid's growing up. likes fins
Jul 30, 2014 12:50 PM

Jun 2008
DEM FEELS ; u ;

I'm so glad that we got to see another side of Nagisa. That he's not just a shallow happyallthetime character.
Didn't think it was possible for him to get cuter then he already was.
Loved this episode!
Jul 30, 2014 12:57 PM
Mar 2012
It seriously was so easy this episode to imagine everyone as girls due to the development. I feel ashamed.
Jul 30, 2014 1:04 PM

Dec 2012
Good episode, nice foundation for Nagisa's development later on or maybe this'll serve as some development.
Jul 30, 2014 1:08 PM

Dec 2012
That preview. Are we jumping straight to the tournament without a Makoto episode? I am disappoint.
Jul 30, 2014 1:11 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
I know how Nagisa feels.. Studying is such a pain.

That part with everybody getting fooled by Nagisa was pretty funny, especially how Rei was so confident but still got tricked the same. XD

Nice seeing Nagisa opening up to his pals and how the decided to supported him. Ama-chan-sensei's saying actually made sense this time around!
Rei was totally tsundere for Nagisa there. :p

Good episode. Fortunately, the issue was solved easily. Free should be free of overdramatizing the story. That's how it should be. (^^)

Jul 30, 2014 1:33 PM

Aug 2013
swaggahsaurus said:
Ooohh dang. This episode really hit home.
Let me tell you a story.
At the beginning of this year, I decided to join track. I wanted to drop my mile time to a six minute and just become faster and stay in shape for cross-country season. Honestly, I was really looking forward to running with my friends and improving my speed.
However, one day, my parents said that I had to quit track. Not only that, I wasn't allowed to socialize with my friends, stay in clubs, or play any games. I wasn't even allowed to draw. All my time was to be devoted to studying.
Ah, but I must have had bad grades, you must think! No, I had straight As...but my parents weren't satisfied. They thought I was doing poorly in school and spending too much time doing other things, so I was told to stay in my room and study instead of doing all the things that were fun for me.
That day I sat in my room and cried for hours, because I was upset, and sad, and angry at myself because I was so immature as to cry.
I never did talk to them. My parents are like Nagisa's- they want the best for me, but sometimes they overstep reason. I didn't go back to track, though over time they started letting me talk to my friends again. Even so, I'm still not allowed to play games or draw, so all of that has to be done behind their backs. I hate lying to them, but they would never allow me to do those things, ever again.

Therefore, I could really relate to Nagisa this episode. I've never really felt terribly emotional about any of the episodes in this series, but in this episode, I actually cried, because this was so accurate to my life and Nagisa pretty much summed up everything I had been feeling when he had the conversation with Ama-chan [ hidden behind the curtain ]. I wish I had friends who would be like the other team members- unfortunately, my friends just said that my parents were being ridiculous and to totally rebel when I couldn't bring myself to do that- and really, I can understand how thankful all of them are for each other. Like Rei said, I gave up before I even tried to work things out, but Nagisa didn't.

I must sound terribly silly relating to some anime episode, so let's put all the angst and emotions aside and talk about the rest of it.
Let me just say that I did not see that beginning coming. I actually jumped a little bit because it looked like something out of a horror movie, so just imagine how terrified Makoto must have been. Additionally, is Haruka's door always unlocked, or does Makoto have a key to get inside?

I honestly feel like Haru will become a pro swimmer. It's been hinted at a lot so far, and it's likely that swimming with Rin will make im realize that he can enjoy racing as well as just swimming. And I like how Haru actually has a personality in this season. He's not just the guy who will jump into any nearby body of water, he's somebody who takes action, tries to help people, genuinely wants the best for his team.

As I write these reviews, the idea of shipping the characters becomes a little bit...foreign? I feel like I'm seeing them so much more as friends. Yes, it's fun to ship them, and yes, I was super obsessed with ships, up until...a few days ago, I think. I mean, yes, there are hints of romance and whatnot, but for some reason, my view of their relationships has begun to transition more to something akin to friendship.

So who knows? Maybe, someday, I'll talk to my parents. I doubt it will change anything. But there's that little chance it might...

You're not silly I relate to anime episodes as well. For example I was almost tearing up at episode 4 of Hanayamata (idk if you watch it) because I related to it on a personal level.
And KyoAni can bring out emotions so suddenly when you're not expecting it that's why they are my favourite anime studio. They are definitely the best in "feels" department.
Jul 30, 2014 1:39 PM

Dec 2013
Finally Nagisa got some long awaited character development, nice to see more depth to him, rather than just his normal bucket-o'-sunshine character :) His problems are pretty relatable too, so that's nice.

Felt a little bit melodramatic though, which was kinda disappointing :/ And all that bromance :o Makoto's too precious :') Brownie points to all the guys for sticking up for Nagisa like that :3

Seems like next week will have some background on Haru and Makoto's relationship, and hopefully some excitement from prefecturals :D Some actual swimming in the swimming anime.

"I'll teach you what true legendary canned mackerel is!" -.-"
Jul 30, 2014 1:54 PM

Dec 2012
I've been hyping Nagisa getting character development since I saw the new opening, but actually seeing him in tears tore my heart apart!

Looks like next episode is gonna be more development of the relationship between Samezuka and Iwatobi. I've been missing seeing everyone in one place, so I'm looking forward to it a lot!

See you next water time~!
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Jul 30, 2014 2:25 PM

Jun 2013
Rei was such a bro this episode. Well they all were honestly.

And this

Jul 30, 2014 2:38 PM

May 2014
So much ReiGisa again this episode!
Jul 30, 2014 2:44 PM

Dec 2011
Nagisa is so so cute. Glad things got resolved

Jul 30, 2014 2:50 PM

Feb 2012
Felt like a filler episode lol.
Jul 30, 2014 3:12 PM

Jul 2014
The voice actor for Nagisa... sometimes his voice gets really deep and seconds later he's back to childlike. I don't like it.
Jul 30, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2010
NAGISA BBY QAQ

I liked the fact that they finally let us see behind his usual happy-go-lucky attitude. He's so lucky to have such great friends.

I feel like the whole bunch of them has grown a lot. Here I am, hugging my monitor and crying because of my fictional babies ;_;

This ep didn't feel like a filler to me, compared to ep 4. Nagisa has his own struggles and it was good that they cleared it out to the viewers too so all of the guys get equal attention.
Jul 30, 2014 4:16 PM
Jul 2013
Brosome Brosome everywhere
Jul 30, 2014 4:28 PM

Aug 2011
Them feelings.

» Escapism.

Jul 30, 2014 6:26 PM

Jan 2011
sorry couldn't get behind all this melodrama mainly because i hate Nagisa with a burning passion not nearly as much as Nitori, but hey character development
Jul 30, 2014 8:38 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, only episode 5 and already throwing in a feels-heavy episode? Nice. Nagisa's backstory is very simple yet they managed to add emotion and depth into this episode. Love it.

Ramkec said:
Felt like a filler episode lol.

With a mindset like that, they all feel like one LOL
Jul 30, 2014 8:59 PM

Jul 2013
I bet we've all noticed how Rei has basically fixed most problems in this season and the last.

Rei x Nagisa was great.

4/5
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jul 30, 2014 9:40 PM

Dec 2013
While this episode wasn't my favorite so far, it was still excellent. I love that it explored a bit more of Nagisa's character and his history. Also, this episode really displayed the amazing bond between the four boys and I just absolutely love it!
I can honestly say that every episode this season has made me smile or tear up at least once. Can't wait for next week!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

147 by CCC47 »»
Jan 20, 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.