Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aug 7, 2014 8:37 AM

Most of us agree the Fate/Stay Night was not a good adaptation to be honest. Reasons being the fact that they handled character portrayal and development very badly, the animation being subpar (I'm being nice here) and them trying to add plotlines from other routes turning the whole thing into a mess of a story. I'm sure there's more things but these were the major reasons that came to mind as to why DEEN's adaptation is bad.

Aug 7, 2014 8:40 AM

doom19876 said:
but that still doesn't change the fact that Zero doesn't fit perfectly to Stay Night and not reversed.

Hm, I don't think anyone said perfectly, but I'm not sure. At least 95% (totally subjective number) of FZ should fit with what was said in the FSN VN. Nasu proofread every draft Urobuchi wrote and made it consistent with the details that were revealed in FSN and hollow ataraxia.

doom19876 said:
I thought tracing only meant that he could understand how things were made. I didn't think he could trace abilities properties like strength.

It's a bit hard to understand what Shirou's abilities actually are, but yes, he copies techniques and strengths of the weapons, if he can understand it.

doom19876 said:
Also I'd imagine his ability to strengthen things would be far weaker than Casters.

That is true, but Caster didn't reinforce her body against Rin for instance. She never thought a magus would go into hand to hand combat and she sucks in this anyway, which is why Rin's attack was so effective. One more hit from Rin's reinforced fist and she would have died.

doom19876 said:
Sorry to break it to you, but F/Z wasn't the original. There was no way DEEN could have known about the ending of F/Z.

Actually, they could have simply asked Nasu and/or Urobuchi. Fate/Zero might have been released in December 2006, but it was already done long before the anime started airing. Urobuchi started writing FZ in 2004 and all drafts were already done before Fate/hollow ataraxia (October 2005) was released. Nasu even found it scary how Urobuchi perfectly nailed Avenger before Nasu wrote it down.

As far as I know, they only asked Nasu and Takeuchi which voice actors they recommend and how to replace the h-scene and he told them what the replacement in the PS2 Realta Nua release is.
Modified by CapsuleCore, Aug 7, 2014 8:48 AM

Aug 7, 2014 9:00 AM

doom19876 said:

Not to insult you, but you're just stubborn and self-righteous. Abridge versions appear everywhere. Clannad/After story score higher than an 8 (most people like them (and they're abridged)), yet you rate them a one. If we were to delete all anime you disliked for whatever reason. A lot of people would be less than happy.

subjective dislike =/= objective fact that it sucks.

Sorry to break it to you, but F/Z wasn't the original. There was no way DEEN could have known about the ending of F/Z. All they had to go off on was the fact that, whatever Saber tried she couldn't defeat him the last time or figure out his true identity. In that regard I found it lacking that they never got to have a real fight in Zero since in F/SN it sounded like they atleast had one proper battle.

Nasu knew. Everything in F/0 is proofread to fit FSN and its meant to be read after FSN to fill in the gaps.

Hiromu Arakawa told the anime studio her ending during both the original and the remake writing proccess of FMA/FMA:B. BECAUSE THEY ASKED.

Deen did not bother to. TH efact that Ufotable involves Nasu in episode writing meetings already puts it miles above DEEN-FSN.

Even if they watch 2006 first, before going 2014 they should realize it's a different story (which hopefully will flow naturally which wont cause any problems). If they still don't understand and like Fate that much, I'm pretty sure they'll will seek basic knowledge when they need it.

Except that its not.

UBW, Fate and HF are ONE narrative told via three different worlds. You can't "separate" them, you can't mix them.

Steins;Gate was in no way perfect. The only two times they applied something relatively close to the butterfly effect was at the first D-mail and the Faris arc. Also they made "rules" that mind leaping couldn't change he past, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

THes whole show was a giant butterfly effect.

Everything else in this quote is wrong. Every journey changes the past, just not enough. Perfectly fitting with the altered version of many worlds theory that s;g used.

C-Core said:

Actually, they could have simply asked Nasu and/or Urobuchi. Fate/Zero might have been released in December 2006, but it was already done long before the anime started airing. Urobuchi started writing FZ in 2004 and all drafts were already done before Fate/hollow ataraxia (October 2005) was released. Nasu even found it scary how Urobuchi perfectly nailed Avenger before Nasu wrote it down.

As far as I know, they only asked Nasu and Takeuchi which voice actors they recommend and how to replace the h-scene and he told them what the replacement in the PS2 Realta Nua release is.

To make it clear - for everything else they guessed hence the ridiculous notion of Saber being able to stand up against serious gil in the flashback that never happened. And when they added references to events revealed in F/0 ln, they toned it down(like the boat incident), because it did not fit their power scale.

Aug 7, 2014 2:46 PM

C-Core said:

Hm, I don't think anyone said perfectly, but I'm not sure. At least 95% (totally subjective number) of FZ should fit with what was said in the FSN VN. Nasu proofread every draft Urobuchi wrote and made it consistent with the details that were revealed in FSN and hollow ataraxia.

I don't know about FHA, but it's consistent with most of SN I guess. it's just not perfect is what I meant to say.

It's a bit hard to understand what Shirou's abilities actually are, but yes, he copies techniques and strengths of the weapons, if he can understand it.

I don't have F/SN available here atm, but do you mean he copies only the strength of the weapons? Or does he actually copies the strength of people to his own person? Because if that's the case, I don't understand why he doesn't do that in his final fights. Yeah ok his body breaks, but still it'll break either way. :D

That is true, but Caster didn't reinforce her body against Rin for instance. She never thought a magus would go into hand to hand combat and she sucks in this anyway, which is why Rin's attack was so effective. One more hit from Rin's reinforced fist and she would have died.

I have no problems with Rin dealing damage to Caster, she's weak and not very suitable for hand to hand combat. Besides she uses her jewels which grant her power, rather than Shirou who just magically gets physically OP for no reason at all.

You say it was done before October 2005. First episode aired in January of 2006. I can't remember when FSN 2014 was announced but it was more than half a year ago. Which means it could have meant that DEEN was working on it for ATLEAST half a year by then. Also I doubt Ufotable didn't start working on UBW before the announcement. So I wouldn't know when DEEN actually started working on episode 1.

Aug 7, 2014 2:59 PM

doom19876 said:
C-Core said:

I don't know about FHA, but it's consistent with most of SN I guess. it's just not perfect is what I meant to say.

I don't have F/SN available here atm, but do you mean he copies only the strength of the weapons? Or does he actually copies the strength of people to his own person? Because if that's the case, I don't understand why he doesn't do that in his final fights. Yeah ok his body breaks, but still it'll break either way. :D

We're talking about HF Shirou now, right?
It's not only a huge strain for his body, but his mind as well.
He can trace three times at the end of the HF route.
After using up the third, his mind will get wrecked.

The main problem is that Shirou not only needs to beat all of his enemies, but he has to destroy the Greater Grail as well. He can't waste all of his chances carelessly.
Modified by Heisen, Aug 7, 2014 3:18 PM

Aug 7, 2014 4:37 PM

HeisenDurden said:

The main problem is that Shirou not only needs to beat all of his enemies, but he has to destroy the Greater Grail as well. He can't waste all of his chances carelessly.

Yes I was talking about HF Shirou.

At the time the only enemies which were left were
Atleast that he could forsee.

Aug 7, 2014 9:08 PM

doom19876 said:

Modified by antonn, Aug 7, 2014 9:21 PM

Aug 8, 2014 12:04 AM

doom19876 said:

He copies the strength and battle experience of the owner.

Nine-Bullet said:

doom19876 said:
C-Core said:

You say it was done before October 2005. First episode aired in January of 2006. I can't remember when FSN 2014 was announced but it was more than half a year ago. Which means it could have meant that DEEN was working on it for ATLEAST half a year by then. Also I doubt Ufotable didn't start working on UBW before the announcement. So I wouldn't know when DEEN actually started working on episode 1.

FHA wasn't done in October, it was released in October. Game production must be finished around two months before the release (that is just a rough estimate, but it's that way in most cases), so the game discs (and all that Limited Edition crap) can be produced and then delivered to the shops, which means Nasu was done writing FHA around August at the latest and Urobuchi was done even before that.

If DEEN had simply asked one of the two authors at the time they worked on it, they would have known this scene with Gil and Saber is just wrong. Interviews don't really say much, but the director apparently didn't really understand Shirou and other characters like Sakura, either.

Another example where they failed is Shirou's portrayal. As you know, he might seem very sexist, but he is less so in the VN and even less in Realta Nua (several sexist lines were replaced and/or commented out). However, the RN release was delayed because Type-Moon thought it would be a good idea to wait until the anime is finished. If DEEN's director had bothered to think about how many people may dislike Shirou, since you don't read his thoughts all the time like in the VN or that '94 Spider-Man tv series, he would have changed lines himself or reread the Realta Nua parts, where he would have seen that Shirou's lines were toned down.

That's why I like how ufotable's director (the same one who directed FZ) cut several parts from the first Kara no Kyoukai chapter, even before Nasu suggested to rewrite it, since it wouldn't have worked nicely for the movie. To be fair, my least liked movie in the KnK series (the sixth one) was directed by this upcoming anime's director. He changed the role of the main antagonist to an extra and overall toned down the brutality and dark elements of the source material.

doom19876 said:
HeisenDurden said:

antonn said:

Modified by CapsuleCore, Aug 8, 2014 12:15 AM

Aug 8, 2014 12:07 AM

Oh yea, forgot about Rule Breaker. Derp.

Aug 8, 2014 12:26 AM

considering the comments the director made about shirou and the story, I am not surprised he did not bother actually making sure he is portrayed correctly - after all the best aspect of sakura is that she likes cheap food(so you won't spend any money dating her) and the defining factor of shirou is "that he is a 17 year old teenager", after all "he is not the lead" and "saber is the main hero anyway" *Facepalm*

Aug 8, 2014 1:00 AM

Fai said:
considering the comments the director made about shirou and the story, I am not surprised he did not bother actually making sure he is portrayed correctly - after all the best aspect of sakura is that she likes cheap food(so you won't spend any money dating her) and the defining factor of shirou is "that he is a 17 year old teenager", after all "he is not the lead" and "saber is the main hero anyway" *Facepalm*

I assume you are talking about DEEN version.

Aug 10, 2014 6:39 AM

Before I start I'm going to say: "I'm a TYPE-MOON Fan (esp. Tsukihime), so consider what I say taking that in account."

About F/SN 2006:
As a TM Fan who read the VN, frankly it's unsatisfactory.
- The animation for UBW & GoB is poor
- They tried to insert unnecessary plot elements from the other routes, thereby either confusing the situation &/or screwing-up the powers
- Somehow the key Shirou-Saber scenes felt a bit lacking (I can't quite explain this one other than saying the VN made me 'feel' the scene better)
- Also, in the VN:
It feels like Shirou takes issue with Saber saying "I never thought of myself as a Woman/Girl", the way people ignored her needs/wants/desires & selfishly imposed their own on her & how she was OK with it. Also, Saber is injured immediately after they meet & then beaten by Berserker, causing him to get concerned about her & he opposes her fighting because he doesn't want others to fight for him (Others including Archer (Fate/UBW), Rider (HF I think), etc)

- The anime on the other hand makes him feel purely sexist as they don't show his inner thoughts. Ufotable did well that way by using the Last Episode of F/Z & the Einzbern Consultation Room

But, for someone watching it just ass an anime, it's OK I'd say.

If you're gonna avoid the VN altogether, then watch in the following pattern:

*F/SN 2006*
F/Z
F/SN 2014
F/SN HF

NOTE: If facts/events in any other adaptation contradict those in F/SN 2006, then reject the facts/events presented in F/SN 2006 & accept the alternate as the correct one.

Aug 10, 2014 7:34 AM

Evilincarnate said:
Before I start I'm going to say: "I'm a TYPE-MOON Fan (esp. Tsukihime), so consider what I say taking that in account."

About F/SN 2006:
As a TM Fan who read the VN, frankly it's unsatisfactory.
- The animation for UBW & GoB is poor
- They tried to insert unnecessary plot elements from the other routes, thereby either confusing the situation &/or screwing-up the powers
- Somehow the key Shirou-Saber scenes felt a bit lacking (I can't quite explain this one other than saying the VN made me 'feel' the scene better)
- Also, in the VN:
It feels like Shirou takes issue with Saber saying "I never thought of myself as a Woman/Girl", the way people ignored her needs/wants/desires & selfishly imposed their own on her & how she was OK with it. Also, Saber is injured immediately after they meet & then beaten by Berserker, causing him to get concerned about her & he opposes her fighting because he doesn't want others to fight for him (Others including Archer (Fate/UBW), Rider (HF I think), etc)

- The anime on the other hand makes him feel purely sexist as they don't show his inner thoughts. Ufotable did well that way by using the Last Episode of F/Z & the Einzbern Consultation Room

But, for someone watching it just ass an anime, it's OK I'd say.

If you're gonna avoid the VN altogether, then watch in the following pattern:

*F/SN 2006*
F/Z
F/SN 2014
F/SN HF

NOTE: If facts/events in any other adaptation contradict those in F/SN 2006, then reject the facts/events presented in F/SN 2006 & accept the alternate as the correct one.

Considering we know FSN 2014 will have additional material added, there's no point in watching FSN2006 since most of important bits of FAte/Route will most likely be added.

Watching F/Zero first would Spoil majority of FSN so nope.

Either:
1. FSN VN
2. FSN 2014
3. FSN HF
4. F/Z

or
1. FSN 2014
2. FSN HF
3. F/Z

Aug 10, 2014 8:55 AM

Fai said:

Considering we know FSN 2014 will have additional material added, there's no point in watching FSN2006 since most of important bits of FAte/Route will most likely be added.

Watching F/Zero first would Spoil majority of FSN so nope.

Either:
1. FSN VN
2. FSN 2014
3. FSN HF
4. F/Z

or
1. FSN 2014
2. FSN HF
3. F/Z

Ideally Yes.

But F/SN 2014 will start in Oct 04, 2014 & end somewhere in 2015 (2-part series) & then who knows when F/SN HF will be telecast. So, my listing was assuming waalex11 doesn't want to wait or read the VN. If not the order would be as you put it.

Aug 11, 2014 12:15 AM

FZ is supposed to be read /watched AFTER all routes of FSN are read/watched.

The HF movie will take a while till it airs and we dont even know if it will be a movie series which means longer wait.

Aug 11, 2014 6:09 AM

So, I've started getting into Fate series by watching F/Z first. Care to explain what's the huge spoiler about it in F/SN? Is it the true nature of the Grail or what?

Aug 11, 2014 6:15 AM

EasyGo-er said:
So, I've started getting into Fate series by watching F/Z first. Care to explain what's the huge spoiler about it in F/SN? Is it the true nature of the Grail or what?

To name a few. These are just the things the first episode spoiled. The Grail's nature is revealed at the end of every route, so this isn't the spoiler.

Aug 11, 2014 6:25 AM

C-Core said:
EasyGo-er said:

To name a few. These are just the things the first episode spoiled. The Grail's nature is revealed at the end of every route, so this isn't the spoiler.

I don't really know if that's a huge deal or not since I've only watched F/Z so far. Maybe I'm just too used with spoilers already...
Anyway, I don't think it will really affect my enjoyment of the upcoming F/SN that much considering the hype it's getting and I barely know anything about the source material.
Modified by EasyGo-er, Aug 11, 2014 6:28 AM

Aug 11, 2014 6:36 AM

It's a huge deal, because they are plot twists that affect the story and the reader. Of course I'm aware you don't know how important this is. Let's just say it takes the element of surprise away, if you already know them. It's like you're watching "The Empire strikes back" and the reveal at the end isn't that dramatic anymore since you started with episodes 1-3 and all you do is give a shrug.

Aug 11, 2014 6:45 AM

C-Core said:
It's a huge deal, because they are plot twists that affect the story and the reader. Of course I'm aware you don't know how important this is. Let's just say it takes the element of surprise away, if you already know them. It's like you're watching "The Empire strikes back" and the reveal at the end isn't that dramatic anymore since you started with episodes 1-3 and all you do is give a shrug.

Haha, that's very true I guess. Oh well, what's done is done so I'll just enjoy whatever I can out of the adaptations. :>

Aug 11, 2014 6:58 AM

EasyGo-er said:
C-Core said:

I don't really know if that's a huge deal or not since I've only watched F/Z so far. Maybe I'm just too used with spoilers already...
Anyway, I don't think it will really affect my enjoyment of the upcoming F/SN that much considering the hype it's getting and I barely know anything about the source material.

Sakura's true identity is literally revealed in the last 1/5th of FSN storyline, as a huge and a shocking twist, since till then she seems like just another normal childhood friend of FSN's protagonist, with occasional moments of "something is off with her".

THen there are other more obvious things like:

F/0 even has a timer, which hitting zero signifies the start of the true story.

Aug 11, 2014 7:10 AM

Fai said:
EasyGo-er said:

Sakura's true identity is literally revealed in the last 1/5th of FSN storyline, as a huge and a shocking twist, since till then she seems like just another normal childhood friend of FSN's protagonist, with occasional moments of "something is off with her".

THen there are other more obvious things like:

F/0 even has a timer, which hitting zero signifies the start of the true story.

Your explanation and reasoning really makes sense I must say. I will recommend others to start Fate series with F/SN too then instead of F/Z because of what you've said. It will be interesting to see how they will handle the adaptations with the new scenes since watching and knowing things are two different experiences.

Aug 11, 2014 7:54 AM

EasyGo-er said:
C-Core said:

Haha, that's very true I guess. Oh well, what's done is done so I'll just enjoy whatever I can out of the adaptations. :>

It's still very easy to enjoy the series even knowing this stuff, though. I watched the first season of Fate/Zero and was spoiled about the stuff involving Sakura, Ilya, what Kiritsugu was really like and so on and Heaven's Feel, which is what was mostly spoiled, still ended up being my favorite route.

Still, if I could go back I probably would have watched F/Z after reading the VN, yeah.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Aug 11, 2014 6:07 PM
can someone please help me
i'm planing to watch fate zero ,,
So can i watch [ fate/zero] then [ Fate/Zero 2nd Season ] Then wait for [ Fate/stay night (2014) ] ? or what order should i watch them on ?

Aug 11, 2014 6:25 PM

xAziiZ said:
can someone please help me
i'm planing to watch fate zero ,,
So can i watch [ fate/zero] then [ Fate/Zero 2nd Season ] Then wait for [ Fate/stay night (2014) ] ? or what order should i watch them on ?

Fate Stay Night 2014
Fate Zero
Fate Zero 2nd Season

Aug 15, 2014 9:10 AM
Does f/z spoils ALL routes of f/sn? I don't really want to play full VN.
Can i go with: prologue+fate route -> f/z -> f/sn 2014 -> f/sn hf
or it is a bad idea?

Aug 15, 2014 9:11 AM

yorec said:
Does f/z spoils ALL routes of f/sn? I don't really want to play full VN.
Can i go with: prologue+fate route -> f/z -> f/sn 2014 -> f/sn hf
or it is a bad idea?
Yes FZ spoils every route of the VN.

The entire FSN is ONE story, you cant skip parts of it to read/watch the prequel.

Aug 15, 2014 6:53 PM

Should I watch F/SN now or wait? I have no intention of playing the VN.

Aug 15, 2014 6:54 PM

Wait.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.

Aug 16, 2014 12:19 AM
I'd recommend waiting as well.

Aug 19, 2014 4:25 PM

DrizzyXP said:
Should I watch F/SN now or wait? I have no intention of playing the VN.

Watch the 2014 version.
For safety's sake, pretend that Deen's version doesn't exist.

Aug 21, 2014 11:48 AM

Having beaten the visual novel a few days ago, I would say it was very time consuming but worth it. I suppose its too late to say that now unless you happen to be on vacation and have time to play a long VN like I did this summer..

Hmmm if you don't have any intention of playing VN and you just wait for FSN 2014/HF 2015, then you would be missing out on the Fate route unless they include some of it somehow in FSN 2014, or you do actually watch the Deen anime for it.

People often say fate route aint terribly great but I enjoyed it for

Modified by midnightblade, Aug 21, 2014 11:52 AM

Mar 7, 2016 7:09 AM
You mean Fate/stay night (2006) and Fate/stay night - Unlimited Blade Works (2014) is ACTUALLY the same event? The different is the CGI effect?

WHAT?!!!

No wonder the first episode juz throw me back to my elementary days.... *sigh*

Mar 7, 2016 7:17 AM

Xansievera said:
You mean Fate/stay night (2006) and Fate/stay night - Unlimited Blade Works (2014) is ACTUALLY the same event? The different is the CGI effect?

WHAT?!!!

No.

ps. plus extra characters or it wouldn't let me post.

Mar 7, 2016 7:19 AM
something here

Xansievera said:

WHAT?!!!

did you actually read anything in here or did you just skim a couple of posts

Mar 7, 2016 8:12 AM
I admit it I read the above post since I'm quite lost with the explanation in the middle.. I ask few friends in FB and they only explain on the CGI effect.. and the different route ending... I just start to watch the FSN UBW juz now.. quite dumbfounded on the first and second episode now cuz it seems the same juz like 2006...

could you care to summarize a bit about the differences?

Mar 7, 2016 1:14 PM

tldr

Fate/Stay Night has 3 stories
F/SN 2006 is mostly based on Fate (story 1)
UBW is story 2. UBW is the result of Shirou deciding to do something else on day 3.
HF is the 3rd story and the result of Shirou doing something else on day 4.
So all stories start the same, which explains why it's similar to what you've seen before.

There are plenty of spoilers on the interwebs, go look at those if you want.

Sep 20, 2017 8:47 PM
I llove them all. watch them all.

Dec 29, 2017 12:39 PM

antonn said:
True. It does look exactly the same.

Fai said:
Everything in DEEN'S animu sucked.

THis is why Ufotable wins:

UBW is a different route, thus different story than DEEN's FSN.

Inb4 Solvite comments about CGI.

Sorry but animation in right side is just jarring. It looks so cheap. Almost unwatchable. Like, not enough camera movement, not enough colour saturation, not enough filtering and not enough flashy effects. In fact it's just soulless. Like shitty cheap steam game with 1 developer.
Not mentioning about the fact that you have shown literally the worst possible action caps from DEEN version, just because you wanted to show how bad Deen version was. And do you know what is funny, it still looks better than UFO equivalents.

LastChapter said:
In all seriousness, ufotable beats DEEN in literally every aspect.

Where? Character design in Ufotable is below 'trash' quality. They don't even know what 'shading' means. And dude, look at details. Ufotable has 0 details. That are using traced 3DCG models with gradient filling. This is the cheapest way to produce an image. I have a feeling that everyone who is blindly praising Ufotable don't know anything about art, creating atmosphere and mood by using different shading, different animation styles and face expectations. Ufotable fails miserably in all those aspects.
It can look cool for newcomers or casuals, but looking cool doesn't mean good in terms of art.
It looks like I'm a Deen fanboy, but actually Deen is one of my least favorite studios. I just don't get why Ufotable is getting so much praise for art and animation if it looks just bad.
It's exactly like modern Hollywood vs classic Hollywood. Modern CGi special effects and older ways to produce explosions for example.
With all seriousness, do you really consider this (3-4 level shading, highly detailed backgrounds, face marks, screen toning, clothes bending) as bad art?
Modified by rsc-pl, Dec 29, 2017 1:35 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.

Dec 29, 2017 1:00 PM

Why in the name of holy father was this necroed.

do kpop artists get recycled when they died?

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]