Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2014 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Damnit, looks like the journey to Vinland is gonna be delayed by at least a year (a volume?). Well, I guess if they'll be traveling the Route from the Varangians to the Greeks it might be interesting to see how the Rus and Constantinople are portrayed. But then, I don't think this was part of the sagas, so maybe it won't happen after all.
Jul 28, 2014 2:01 AM

Apr 2012
The Prologue and the farmland saga wasn't part of the sagas either but Yukimura better make this worthwhile.
Aug 3, 2014 12:42 AM

Mar 2012
Oh god, this looks like this is going to be a long journey...
Aug 3, 2014 12:47 AM

Jun 2008
I'm happy with them not going to Vinland, as that feels like it'll be the endgame for the series.

I'm also enjoying the comedy we're getting now :D

I love how Leif's son is hiding his face.
Baka-Tsuki discord server
Aug 3, 2014 1:51 AM
Jul 2018
LOL! The scene between Gudrid and Sigurd's childhood friend was like something out of an old school shoujo, and I mean that in a good way.

The trip to Greece got me excited, and it looks like they'll pass by Norway and Denmark, which means they might get to see Canute and the plot with Floki and Thors' past will get resolved, even if it was on their way back. Are there any historical figures other than Canute who lived at that time that they might also meet?
Aug 3, 2014 2:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Big azzz arc coming along if they're traveling all the way to Greece and back. More Vinland saga is always welcome!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 3, 2014 3:01 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, this chapter was awesome with this panel:
Aug 3, 2014 3:06 AM

Apr 2012
Hayatempest said:
Are there any historical figures other than Canute who lived at that time that they might also meet?

Much of Karselfini's past is unknown but i don't believe that he ever goes to greece. So don't expect any famous historical greek figure on this one as i don't believe there is any famous historical greek figure during the middle ages. Maybe we will at least meet Edward the Confessor so who knows.
Aug 3, 2014 3:08 AM

Mar 2012
RedgraveGilver said:
The Prologue and the farmland saga wasn't part of the sagas either but Yukimura better make this worthwhile.
Good point, but I was thinking more along the lines of "since this didn't happen in the sagas they might still somehow weasel their way out of running this errand/find another way of coming up with the money", which would have been much less likely if this journey to Greece was an event described in the sagas. Granted, it's unlikely enough as it is, after all the talk about how wide the world is and after the detailed description of the route. Still, I trust Yukimura to make this entertaining.

Hayatempest said:
Are there any historical figures other than Canute who lived at that time that they might also meet?
IIRC this is still December of 1018, which means they'll likely be passing through Kievan Rus at some point in 1019, when Yaroslav the Wise defeated his brother Svyatopolk the Accursed (called that because he allegedly murdered their brothers Boris and Gleb, in addition to being generally unpopular) to become Grand Prince of Kiev. Interestingly, Eydmund's Saga, a saga about Vikings in the service of Yaroslav, portrays him a bit less positively than local sources, and may be interpreted to imply that he was the real mastermind behind the death of Boris. Maybe this can be worked into the plot somehow...
Aug 3, 2014 7:59 AM

Dec 2010
Welp, seems like this isn't going to end soon, like I thought it would from the story so far... At least there's more looking forward to new chapters~
Aug 3, 2014 9:50 AM

Sep 2013
i'm also glad they aren't going to Vinland right away, an arc or two before that will make the trip to Vinland much more interesting and perhaps more characters as companions.
Aug 3, 2014 12:21 PM
Dec 2012
annie_leonheart said:
i'm also glad they aren't going to Vinland right away, an arc or two before that will make the trip to Vinland much more interesting and perhaps more characters as companions.
I don't know. I'm not a fan of stories being padded out like that. I may not mind as much if the story ends shortly after they get to Vinland, but I can just see things being padded out needlessly. I don't think the manga is over going to regain the momentum the prologue had.
Aug 3, 2014 12:27 PM

Apr 2009
HOLY SHIT, AN ARC THAT MIRRORS THE VARANGIAN TRADE ROUTES

YESSSSS

Don't mind me, just booting up the official sountrack for this arc.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 3, 2014 3:48 PM

Aug 2007
hmm so yukimura def plans on making this a long manga. Glad to hear it.
Aug 3, 2014 4:31 PM

Apr 2012
There are still some ways for the series to go once they are on Vinland. Thorfinn will have to earn the trust of the natives and to adjust his lifestyle there ala Slice of Life. Unless Canute decided to go to Vinland too and decided to take it by force then Thorfinn had to defend it and shit.
Aug 5, 2014 11:11 PM

May 2012
I'm really liking Gudrid's character. Hopefully Thorfinn and her get married, I'm thinking he's going to sneak her on the ship. Also the bitch in the beginning was annoying. Lief's sexism is an unlikable quality to him, but understandable considering the era.
Aug 16, 2014 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
wow great adventure is waiting.. I am excited ! interesting too see what will happen..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 19, 2014 11:12 AM

Mar 2012
Interesting. Will this be a Constantinople-centric arc or more focused on Greece? I do think that they should have gone for a Anatolia angle, which was the heartland of trade and culture in the Eastern Empire, as it is rather illogical for them to visit Greece which was mostly a provincial backwater at the time (excluding Thessaloniki).

This will take place at the height of the Makedon dynasty, right before the planned Invasion of Sicily.
I am curious if they will also choose to portray Novgorod, and Kievan Rus.

Hayatempest said:

Emperor Basil II 'the Bulgar-Slayer' as well, who was the most influential ruler of Europe and the Mediterranean Basin at the time. I think his backstory would find a perfect place in this series if he appears.
The Varangians will probably be portrayed as well, though this is a couple years before Harold Hardrada's incursion into the Guards.
Aug 20, 2014 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Thanks to everyone who answered my question. Much like Canute before I read this manga, I'm not familiar with any of those historical figures, which makes me pretty excited to see how Yukimura is going to depict them. And even if he isn't going to be 100% faithful, I'll just read on them as they appear :)

Well, with all the countries they're going to pass through and the people they could meet, this arc has a lot of potential. I hope Yukimura isn't going to resort to a time-skip and speed up their journey. While going to Greece and back home Thorfinn and co can find themselves into all sorts of situations (battles, sieges, encounters with bandits...etc)
Aug 21, 2014 1:00 PM
Dec 2012
Neizaru said:
I just hope it won't be another ridiculous no-death pacifism fights though. Naive ideologies in a seinen leave a very bad aftertaste.
Yes. Even in shounen I find pacifism to be a very silly concept. In seinen it stands out as being more ridiculous. When people attack you with the intent to kill you or your loved ones, you protect yourself by any means necessary.
Aug 21, 2014 1:04 PM
Dec 2012
gilgamesh310 said:
Neizaru said:
I just hope it won't be another ridiculous no-death pacifism fights though. Naive ideologies in a seinen leave a very bad aftertaste.
Yes. Even in shounen I find pacifism to be a very silly concept. In seinen it stands out as being more ridiculous. When people attack you with the intent to kill you or your loved ones, you protect yourself by any means necessary. You certainly don't let them punch the shit out of you.
Aug 21, 2014 4:47 PM

Apr 2012
I'm fine with Thorfinn's pacifism. But you can be a pacifist and kick ass at the same time. Problem is Thorfinn right now doesn't even bother to fight which is indeed a problem. See Loran Ceyhack from Turn A Gundam. I think he is one of the best pacifist protagonist out there. He doesn't kill anybody but he is able to immobilized the mobile suits and kick ass at the same time without being a fucking hypocrite like Kira Yamato from Seed Destiny. Kenshin also still kicks ass and defend himself whenever someone attacks him and he knows that his ideology is but still have the strong resolve to still live by it.

Once Thorfinn lands in Vinland we will see how Yukimura handles it. I think Natvies will be undoubtedly hostile.
Aug 21, 2014 5:03 PM
Dec 2012
I think the biggest flaw with the whole story is that it's very grounded in realism in one sense but also very unrealistic in others. The pacifism and OTT fights being an example of the latter. Its hard to become properly immersed in its world when it has the unrealistic stuff.
Aug 21, 2014 6:10 PM

Apr 2012
gilgamesh310 said:
I think the biggest flaw with the whole story is that it's very grounded in realism in one sense but also very unrealistic in others. The pacifism and OTT fights being an example of the latter. Its hard to become properly immersed in its world when it has the unrealistic stuff.

Especially with the part where Canute's sevant(?) suddenly showing up as a ghost then changing his characterization forever. Maybe it's just the psychological aspect of the series. The OTTP fights are already established since the beginning. I mean come on. Carrying a huge fucking boat in land? Fighting with two knives and jumping for like 15 feet in the air? Thorkell sending a horse flying away with an uppercut? This is all just for entertainment if you ask me though.

Most fantasies are grounded in realism in many ways now a days though. The Malazan, Mistborn, Way of the Kings and A Song of Ice and Fire are examples. But then again, Vinland saga isn't really fantasy.
RedgraveGilverAug 21, 2014 6:16 PM
Aug 22, 2014 1:25 AM
Dec 2012
I know the fights were always OTT. I was just reflecting on the manga in the long run. I did enjoy the fights immensely. At times I just felt like they belonged in a different manga and not one so grounded in historic events.

I haven't read any of them but I heard Malazan was a masterpiece and had some of the most epic battles ever.
Aug 28, 2014 3:46 PM

Mar 2012
RedgraveGilver said:
gilgamesh310 said:

Especially with the part where Canute's sevant(?) suddenly showing up as a ghost then changing his characterization forever. Maybe it's just the psychological aspect of the series. The OTTP fights are already established since the beginning. I mean come on. Carrying a huge fucking boat in land? Fighting with two knives and jumping for like 15 feet in the air? Thorkell sending a horse flying away with an uppercut? This is all just for entertainment if you ask me though.

Most fantasies are grounded in realism in many ways now a days though. The Malazan, Mistborn, Way of the Kings and A Song of Ice and Fire are examples. But then again, Vinland saga isn't really fantasy.

It's more because there is no real character development in the traditional sense where we actually witnessed the change. In Vinland Saga, character development, aside from Askeladd-Thorfinn, relies on instantaneous changes in personality or time skips.

Canutes' change from the reclusive shy boy to the authoritive warband leader happened in a very implausible instantaneous manner, whilst his development into a charismatic, shrewd warrior-prince happened over a time skip.

Thorfinn's crucial development from Norse assassin into pacifistic farmer-thrall occurred over a lazy time skip. Perhaps if I saw what led him to become a slave, and a pacifist from Askeladd's death, I would be more receptive to the change. Instead, we get a lazy before-and-after shot, and because of this, it just seems like Farmland-arc Thorfinn is a new character rather than a maturation of Askeladd-arc Thorfinn.

I will say as someone versed in Icelandic and early Medieval history, his hardcore pacifistic personality is highly irregular for the society and psychology of the time in regards to someone of his status in society. Rather, it seems the mangaka is forcing hardcore Japanese Bushido on a character in the turbulent 11th century Europe (which has VERY different moral codes and beliefs compared to 16th-17th century Japan)
Aug 28, 2014 4:26 PM

Apr 2012
While we didn't exactly see how Thorfinn become a Slave, i think the farmland arc did an amazing job for his character development enough. Also Thorfinn's change didn't suddenly occur on a time skip. Remember than when the farmland arc started, Thorfinn is broken, he lacks the hygiene even for that time and can even barely speak to Einar. We see he gradually changes from his struggles with at the time he is working for Ketil's farm and one of his major arc for his change is when he see a vision of Askeladd and the arc with the Slave girl that Einar loved.

Orvieto said:

I will say as someone versed in Icelandic and early Medieval history, his hardcore pacifistic personality is highly irregular for the society and psychology of the time in regards to someone of his status in society. Rather, it seems the mangaka is forcing hardcore Japanese Bushido on a character in the turbulent 11th century Europe (which has VERY different moral codes and beliefs compared to 16th-17th century Japan)

You couldn't be even more right. I'm glad i'm not the only who noticed that. I made an entire post addressing that point how the manga is actually incorporating many Japanese and bushido ideology. It has something to do how both cultures have different mind sets on exploring different lands.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=619537&show=20
RedgraveGilverAug 28, 2014 4:32 PM
Dec 22, 2014 10:51 AM

Sep 2013
TO ADVENTURE BOYZZ

I'm pretty damn hype for seeing Greek (?) culture now! I love the new direction the manga is taking. Now that I think about it, it's the unpredictability that I like about Yukimura's writing the most.

I hope that black haired girl is somehow able to sneak on board as they leave, I feel sorry for her. :(
Dec 25, 2014 12:13 PM

Mar 2012
RedgraveGilver said:
While we didn't exactly see how Thorfinn become a Slave, i think the farmland arc did an amazing job for his character development enough. Also Thorfinn's change didn't suddenly occur on a time skip. Remember than when the farmland arc started, Thorfinn is broken, he lacks the hygiene even for that time and can even barely speak to Einar. We see he gradually changes from his struggles with at the time he is working for Ketil's farm and one of his major arc for his change is when he see a vision of Askeladd and the arc with the Slave girl that Einar loved.

Orvieto said:

You couldn't be even more right. I'm glad i'm not the only who noticed that. I made an entire post addressing that point how the manga is actually incorporating many Japanese and bushido ideology. It has something to do how both cultures have different mind sets on exploring different lands.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=619537&show=20

What I meant is that Farm-arc Thorfinn is a new character, and we got to see that character develop. Not the original Thorfinn. The crucial development is seeing how proud Thorfinn devolved into the state of the demure and meek Farm-arc Thorfinn. We didn't see that. The lazy mangaka used a time-skip instead. The character development is just too extreme, quick, and done too poorly. Thorfinn doesn't just accept pacifism, but adheres to a über-pacifistic lifestyle that is hard to see historically plausible even in Bushido-era Japan.
There is a jarring and major dissonance between the main character, and the setting.
Feb 22, 2016 4:30 PM

Dec 2013
Of course she wants to go with them.

Let's see how they do with trading now!
Apr 7, 2017 12:43 PM

May 2014
This new adventure seems promising!
Oct 10, 2017 8:54 AM

Jan 2016
Finally something exciting in this arc, hope the journey start soon and we get to meet new badass characters along the way.
Dec 2, 2017 5:19 AM

Jun 2015
I'm glad they can't go straight to Vinland. I wanna see the way this new group develops and also the possibility of new member! (Gudrid better join them!!) Also, a long, harrowing journey across the ocean seems much less interesting than through the smaller seas, along rivers and lands, and to some great cities of eastern and southern Europe!

Come on, Leif! Just let Gudrid join!
Jul 23, 2019 11:56 AM

Sep 2014
We finally hear about the Rus. I was waiting for this development. Awesome stuff
Dec 10, 2019 4:31 PM

Nov 2016
Well, I was already prepared for a long ass ride hehe.

And lol, I think Gudrid is actually pretty cute.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 8, 2022 4:54 AM

Feb 2022
So the gang is going to Constantinople now. Pretty interesting. Although I do find it pretty strange how Thorfinn goes westwards to Iceland, reunites with his family, and wants to get money, and suddenly almost out of nowhere... He has to go all the way to Greece.
These Japanese gesticulating cartoons are actually quite good
Jan 29, 2023 4:14 PM
Apr 2019
Let's get ready for the adventure
Nov 19, 2023 2:30 PM

Feb 2020
Guess Fate's Luvia Edelfelt is a character in this manga now.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

More topics from this board

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Today, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.