Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jul 27, 2014 5:05 AM

Hi! I am new here and this is actually my first post. I am really interested in the Fate animes but i can't understand the order to watch them. I am not in to reading Manga so i prefer not to read any of these. Some people say watch zero before stay night because it takes place 10 years before stay night but some people say don't do that its a major spoiler etc. I also have no idea what the other Fate animes are.

Fate animes im wondering about:
Fate/stay night
Fate/Zero
Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Fate/Zero: Please! Einzbern Counseling Room
Fate/stay night TV reproduction
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (Sub)
Fate/Prototype
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya OVA
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Specials
Fate/stay night (2014) <--- not yet aired? A new version comming?

There are soo many and if some experienced fate watchers can tell me what order to watch them in if i can skip some of them or any info about them.

TL;DR Fate animes watch order

Thanks for any help i can get about Fate!

Jul 27, 2014 5:07 AM

My opinion: Fate/Stay Night, then movie, then the two seasons of Fate/Zero and the rest you can watch any order.

Jul 27, 2014 5:10 AM
The timeline goes like this, so chronologically:

- Fate/Zero
- Fate Zero 2nd season
- Fate/Stay Night (2014) (coming in October)

Those are the best adaptations by ufotable. Other adaptations are done by Studio DEEN and are not considered to be as good. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya is a spin-off that you don't need to watch to understand the story of FSN and F/Z.
Modified by Vallhala, Jul 27, 2014 5:22 AM

If you only care about the anime adaptations then:

1)Watch FZ and get spoiled about FSN's twists.
2)Wait for FSN's remakes to be over and then watch FZ.

If you can waste time on a visual novel read FSN then watch FZ.

Pro tip:Do not watch the old FSN adaptations.

Nevalopo said:
Hi! I am new here and this is actually my first post. I am really interested in the Fate animes but i can't understand the order to watch them. I am not in to reading Manga so i prefer not to read any of these. Some people say watch zero before stay night because it takes place 10 years before stay night but some people say don't do that its a major spoiler etc. I also have no idea what the other Fate animes are.

Fate/stay night
Fate/Zero
Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Fate/Prototype
Fate/stay night (2014) <--- not yet aired? A new version comming?

There are soo many and if some experienced fate watchers can tell me what order to watch them in if i can skip some of them or any info about them.

TL;DR Fate animes watch order

Thanks for any help i can get about Fate!

SKIP Fate/Stay night of the old. Its non canoon
SKIP the UBW movie. its practically recap movie and will only confuse you if you did not read the visual novel.

1. WATCH the upcoming FSN adaptation
2. WATCH The upcoming FSN HEaven's FEel movie after this
3. WATCH Fate/Zero
4. Watch Prisma Illya and 2wei(2wei is the second season)

Fate prototype can be watched any time since its basically a short that showcases the original ideas the writer of FSN had before FSN truly took shape.

Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya is set in a different world created by the different choice the lead character of Fate/Zero could make at the start of Fate/Zero.
Fate/Zero showcases how FSN events came to be, but expects you to know FSN events and spoils FSN plot twists.
Upcoming Heaven's FEEL movie(s) are set in separate world from FSN upcoming anime and is essentially a different outcome of FSN events due to a different choice the lead character can do at the start of FSN.

All of above except for Fate/prototype are canon and HF movie will most likely reference upcoming fate series events since there's a certain character who can travel in between the worlds.

Jul 27, 2014 5:11 AM

ssjokg said:
Pro tip:Do not watch the old FSN adaptations.
Unless you really can't wait. Then cleanse your soul with ufotable's version.

Jul 27, 2014 5:11 AM

Vallhala said:

- Fate/Zero
- Fate Zero 2nd season
- Fate/Stay Night (2014)

Those are the best adaptations by ufotable. Other adaptations are done by Studio DEEN and are not considered to be as good. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya is a spin-off and unrelated to the actual franchise; it takes place in an alternate universe.
It isnt unrelated. Its relation is the same,just different chars and different

Jul 27, 2014 5:12 AM
ssjokg said:
Vallhala said:

- Fate/Zero
- Fate Zero 2nd season
- Fate/Stay Night (2014)

Those are the best adaptations by ufotable. Other adaptations are done by Studio DEEN and are not considered to be as good. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya is a spin-off and unrelated to the actual franchise; it takes place in an alternate universe.
It isnt unrelated. Its relation is the same,just different chars and different

It's a different universe.

Jul 27, 2014 5:13 AM

The universe is as different as UBW and HF are to Fate.

Jul 27, 2014 5:13 AM

Vallhala said:
It's a completely different universe.

^ Fate Stay Night already takes place in three completely different universes, interconnected the same way FKLP Is interconnected with FSN and F/0 or the whole nasuverse(Kara no kyoukai, tsukihime, mahoyo etc) are interconnected with each other.

Your point being? Its still equally canon.

Jul 27, 2014 5:14 AM
ssjokg said:

Except UBW and HF feature the same rules as Fate.

Not magical girls like Fate/kaleid.

Jul 27, 2014 5:16 AM

Vallhala said:
ssjokg said:

Well this should get interesting.

Jul 27, 2014 5:17 AM

Vallhala said:
ssjokg said:

Kaleid has the same rules as Nasuverse/Fate.
Magical girls and sticks did exist in Fate/ before Kaleid.Ruby and Magical Girl Rin arent original chars in Kaleid.

Jul 27, 2014 5:18 AM
I'm not denying the fact that all these events take place in separate universes, I know that. I'm just saying, watching Fate/kaleid is not necessary to understand the story of FSN or F/Z.

Jul 27, 2014 5:18 AM

Vallhala said:
I'm not denying the fact that all these events take place in separate universes, I know that. I'm just saying, watching Fate/kaleid is not necessary to understand the story of FSN or F/Z.
That I agree with.

Jul 27, 2014 5:20 AM

Vallhala said:
ssjokg said:

Wrong fucking wrong.

KLP has same ruleset.

Kaleidosticks appear in canon FSN.

So does :

ssjokg said:
Vallhala said:
That I agree with.

Unless the viewer wants to know different possibilities, explore the extent of
, explore the mechanics of [spoiler] Zelretch's opness and parallel world travels[spoiler], etc.
Modified by Ahenshihael, Jul 27, 2014 5:30 AM

Jul 27, 2014 5:21 AM
Ah, I apologize then. I guess I was wrong.

I'll go and edit my original post.

Jul 27, 2014 5:31 AM

Hell,
is pretty much kaleidostick that's sharp.

Jul 27, 2014 5:31 AM

So if FSN 2014 remakes the UBW route, does that mean I have to watch Deen's FSN in order to understand what's happening in FSN 2014?

Jul 27, 2014 5:33 AM

marian11 said:
So if FSN 2014 remakes the UBW route, does that mean I have to watch Deen's FSN in order to understand what's happening in FSN 2014?
No.
You will probaly see plotoles everywhere if you watch DEEN's fsn and then Ufotable's.

Jul 27, 2014 5:34 AM

So can I just go ahead and watch FSN 2014? I don't want to play the VN as I am very slow with VNs as a whole.

Jul 27, 2014 5:37 AM

marian11 said:
So can I just go ahead and watch FSN 2014? I don't want to play the VN as I am very slow with VNs as a whole.
Yeah you can do that.
Tho not the best choice, since Fate route's adaptation is a mess, it would be better to just ignore it.

Jul 27, 2014 5:49 AM

Will I miss some important stuff from Fate?

Jul 27, 2014 5:50 AM

marian11 said:

chances are ufotable will add it to UBW anyway.

Unless you REALLY like Saber's character, you won't miss anything that F/0 won't fill in afterward.

Jul 27, 2014 5:51 AM

marian11 said:
Well most of Saber's backstory and how she deals with it in Fate, Kirtugu's influence on her, maybe Avalon....

Jul 27, 2014 5:53 AM

ssjokg said:
marian11 said:
Well most of Saber's backstory and how she deals with it in Fate, Kirtugu's influence on her, maybe Avalon....

Saber backstory is somewhat in Fate/Zero, othe rbits can be added into UBW route's beginnings anyway.

Jul 27, 2014 5:56 AM

I don't like Saber THAT much, but I would still like to see her full backstory. Some of it was shown in Zero, so hopefully they'll add the rest to the remake.

Jul 27, 2014 6:19 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jul 27, 2014 7:21 AM
You will get spoiled if you watch Fate Zero first. You will also get spoiled if you watch Fate Stay Night first. Since Fate Zero is the official prequel, I think it's a wise idea to start with it.

I don't think it will spoil as much as FSN, because if you decide to watch FSN first, it is about the next generation characters, so if you watch FSN first, you will get spoiled on a lot of major events that revolve around characters of FZ. Keep in mind FZ takes place in the past, so expect FSN characters to have flash backs about FZ characters, which will spoil FZ more. The flashbacks spoil a lot btw. It's up to you to decide which series you wanna watch first, but I hope my opinion helped ^^

Jul 27, 2014 7:23 AM

FAte/Zero was written with the idea that YOU KNOW about FSN events.
The only thing that FSN spoils is the 4th war's ending.

Jul 27, 2014 7:28 AM

NorikoW said:
You will get spoiled if you watch Fate Zero first. You will also get spoiled if you watch Fate Stay Night first. Since Fate Zero is the official prequel, I think it's a wise idea to start with it.

I don't think it will spoil as much as FSN, because if you decide to watch FSN first, it is about the next generation characters, so if you watch FSN first, you will get spoiled on a lot of major events that revolve around characters of FZ. Keep in mind FZ takes place in the past, so expect FSN characters to have flash backs about FZ characters, which will spoil FZ more. The flashbacks spoil a lot btw. It's up to you to decide which series you wanna watch first, but I hope my opinion helped ^^

Nothing about F/0 get's spoiled in FSN except the outcome.
EVERYTHING about FSN gets spoiled in F/0.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
Modified by Tyrel, Jul 27, 2014 11:46 AM

Jul 27, 2014 7:52 AM
ssjokg said:

Yes. It spoils the ending of FZ, but I don't know exactly how much it spoils in FSN because I dropped it.

Jul 27, 2014 7:56 AM

NorikoW said:
ssjokg said:

Yes. It spoils the ending of FZ, but I don't know exactly how much it spoils in FSN because I dropped it.
The anime?
It spoils Gil's existence, Saber's identity,Kiritsugu's reasons for destroying the grail,Avalon,Ilya's parents...
Visual novel:Sakura's past,Zouken and others.

Sakura's past alone is enough.
Modified by ssjokg, Jul 27, 2014 8:04 AM

Jul 27, 2014 8:04 AM
ssjokg said:
NorikoW said:

The anime?
It spoils,Gil's existence, Saber's identity,Kiritsugu's reasons for destroying the grail,Avalon,Ilya's parents...

Now I see what you mean. I didn't mind it because fz and fsn have different protagonists. I think it's a matter of personal preference. There are spoilers in both, some spoilers are worse though I agree.

Jul 27, 2014 8:20 AM

NorikoW said:
ssjokg said:
The anime?
It spoils,Gil's existence, Saber's identity,Kiritsugu's reasons for destroying the grail,Avalon,Ilya's parents...

Now I see what you mean. I didn't mind it because fz and fsn have different protagonists. I think it's a matter of personal preference. There are spoilers in both, some spoilers are worse though I agree.
Since F/Z is meant to be read/watched AFTER F/SN, they're not really spoilers.

That's like saying R2 of Code Geass spoiled that Lelouch has a Geass power.

Jul 27, 2014 11:21 AM

Do you really get heavily spoiled if you watch Fate/Zero before the new Fate/Stay Night? I've wanted to start this series for awhile now..

Jul 27, 2014 11:22 AM

Alecks said:
Do you really get heavily spoiled if you watch Fate/Zero before the new Fate/Stay Night? I've wanted to start this series for awhile now..
Yes.
The very first scene spoils characters relations and background that you only find out in the last scenario of FSN.

Jul 27, 2014 11:26 AM

Alecks said:

Not knowing what happens in F/0 is major reason why FSN is interesting. It is talked about and mentioned, but you find out stuff alongside characters.

F/0 expects you to know that already so not only its ligh ton crucial explanations it also spoils everything important about FSN.

Jul 27, 2014 11:48 AM

I'm more interested in whether or not ufotable expects us to have seen Fate/Zero already. I understand that originally Fate/Zero was written as a prequel, but ufotable did make that series first before adapting Fate/Stay Night. I can easily see them trying to build off of /Zero rather than just recreating a /Stay Night which is ignorant of anything already adapted in /Zero.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.

Jul 27, 2014 11:51 AM
GibsonFlyingV said:
I'm more interested in whether or not ufotable expects us to have seen Fate/Zero already. I understand that originally Fate/Zero was written as a prequel, but ufotable did make that series first before adapting Fate/Stay Night. I can easily see them trying to build off of /Zero rather than just recreating a /Stay Night which is ignorant of anything already adapted in /Zero.

Doesn't seem like they will. http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/31/fatestay-night-co-creator-talks-upcoming-anime/

Btw, does the FSN manga include the Fate route?

GibsonFlyingV said:

The connection between FSN and FZ is already there because FZ was carefully written that way. All they have to do is faithfully adapt the route.

marian11 said:
Btw, does the FSN manga include the Fate route?

Honestly, it's more Fate than UBW. And it's a waste of paper in my opinion.

Jul 27, 2014 2:34 PM

Ok so you people are saying that it's best just to wait for the (2014) version of fate/stay night right? I don't know if I can wait that long lol. I'll problably just watch them in the order they were released. That is problably the best way to enjoy this series. Really want to get into this series since I hear it's pretty good.

Jul 27, 2014 2:38 PM

skullcruncher said:
Ok so you people are saying that it's best just to wait for the (2014) version of fate/stay night right? I don't know if I can wait that long lol. I'll problably just watch them in the order they were released. That is problably the best way to enjoy this series. Really want to get into this series since I hear it's pretty good.
DEEN's anime sucks tho.

Jul 27, 2014 2:38 PM

skullcruncher said:

Release order is correct, but perhaps not the way we mean it. FSN VN was released first, then the FZ Light Novel came. So if you don't want to read the Visual Novel and can manage some wrongly directed Shirou in the 2006 anime, watch the DEEN anime series first, even though I (and many others) think it's average at best. SKIP THE DEEN FSN MOVIE. Then please wait and watch the upcoming Unlimited Blade Works anime series and the Heaven's Feel movie, THEN Fate/Zero.

skullcruncher said:

Fate/stay night
Fate/Zero
Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Fate/Prototype
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works (2014) <--- not yet aired? A new version comming?
Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel

1. Fate/stay night (DEEN, 2006)
2. Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works tv series (ufotable, 2014) and its 2nd season
3. Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel movie (ufotable, 2015?)
4. Fate/Zero & Fate/Zero 2nd season (ufotable)
5. Fate/Zero: Please! Einzbern Counseling Room (can be watched in tandem with Fate/Zero) (ufotable)

Don't watch:
1. Fate/stay night tv reproduction
2. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (Sub) (DEEN, 2010)

Regarding Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya:

Release order is probably the best, and watch it after FSN. Watch it if you liked the Fate-heroine Illya and you are into some lighthearted Mahou Shoujo stuff. It's fun and yet very entertaining. In my opinion.

1. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya
2. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Specials
3. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya OVA
4. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei

Fate/Prototype can be watched whenever you want. Personally, I'd watch it after FSN though. It was a bonus for those who bought Carnival Phantasm, a fantastic parody of FSN and Tsukihime.
Modified by CapsuleCore, Jul 27, 2014 2:51 PM

Jul 27, 2014 2:47 PM

C-Core said:
skullcruncher said:

Release order is correct, but perhaps not the way we mean it. FSN VN was released first, then the FZ Light Novel came. So if you don't want to read the Visual Novel and can manage some wrongly directed Shirou in the 2006 anime, watch the DEEN anime series first, even though I (and many others) think it's average at best. SKIP THE DEEN FSN MOVIE. Then please wait and watch the upcoming Unlimited Blade Works anime series and the Heaven's Feel movie, THEN Fate/Zero.
Oh so I should watch fate zero last?! Before seeing this thread I was planning on watching fate zero first lol. What about fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA? Is it a good idea to watch that one before the upcoming 2014 fate/stay night?

Jul 27, 2014 2:50 PM
The Illya anime is mostly fanservice for Fate fans, so I would watch it last.

Jul 27, 2014 2:50 PM

skullcruncher said:
C-Core said:

Oh so I should watch fate zero last?! Before seeing this thread I was planning on watching fate zero first lol. What about fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA? Is it a good idea to watch that one before the upcoming 2014 fate/stay night?

See my edit. I gave you a list with the order of it. The thing is, Fate/Zero was originally written for those who read the FSN Visual Novel. Its first episode practically gives away several major plot twists in FSN, as the author assumes you already know them.

Jul 27, 2014 2:58 PM

C-Core said:
skullcruncher said:

See my edit. I gave you a list with the order of it. The thing is, Fate/Zero was originally written for those who read the FSN Visual Novel. Its first episode practically gives away several major plot twists in FSN, as the author assumes you already know them.
Ok thanks. I'll problably watch the 2006 fate/stay night first then. So I have some idea of what the new 2014 release will be like.

Jul 27, 2014 3:39 PM

skullcruncher said:
C-Core said:

Ok thanks. I'll problably watch the 2006 fate/stay night first then. So I have some idea of what the new 2014 release will be like.

FSN 2006 is extremely inaccurate and non-canon. IT has barely anything to do with the actual franchise.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »