Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 26, 2014 10:58 PM
Jul 2014
Hello,

I am curious as why it is so hard to find the dvd box set or the bd set.
You would think a series as popular as this and with it being relitivly new it would be easier to find the set.
Does anyone have some information about it?
Aug 28, 2014 5:20 PM

Sep 2011
havoc764 said:
Hello,

You would think a series as popular as this and with it being relitivly new it would be easier to find the set.

Depends on where you live. I see the DVD boxset float around in my area and was able to get it for approx. $140. That said, I believe that the recent US releases are attainable through Righstuf's website (unless it's sold out already). Another option is the recent PAL release from Madman Entertainment which also has it up on their website.
Aug 28, 2014 5:23 PM

Mar 2014
havoc764 said:
Hello,

Last time I heard, it's ridiculously expensive though.
Aug 28, 2014 5:26 PM

Sep 2011
mclovinballz said:
havoc764 said:
Hello,

Last time I heard, it's ridiculously expensive though.

The recent DVD boxset exports aren't too bad, they're at least around $120-140 for the main series. The BD set is an entirely different story though...

EDIT

Nevermind I just checked, both Rightstuf and Madman (including their respective suppliers) seem to have it sold out already. >_>

Your best bet is the secondary market at this point until it gets re-released again. Just know that the DVD boxset is normally priced at $120-140, as anything twice or three times higher than that are pretty much inflated prices.
ronriAug 28, 2014 5:42 PM
Aug 28, 2014 6:18 PM

Oct 2013
It wasn't sold out, as per usual Aniplex pushes the people to buy the Limited Edition only.
Aug 30, 2014 10:41 PM

Jul 2012
R4vel said:
It wasn't sold out, as per usual Aniplex pushes the people to buy the Limited Edition only.

To my knowledge, Aniplex of America only ever released a limited edition version of the main 7 films + epilogue, which was on DVD. The only other DVD versions I've seen are the PAL DVD set and the standard and limited edition versions of the Japanese release of the films individually, and those are probably pretty difficult to find at this point, not to mention expensive.

I just looked, and Amazon doesn't have the DVD LE by AoA available. Amazon UK lists what I believe is the PAL version new from ~£105 to £160, all sold by third-party sellers unfulfilled by Amazon (there are currently no "Used" listings. There's also another listing for what looks like the exact same item but for over £2,000. Also also, there's a listing for what I think is the LE version of the initial Japanese DVD release of the 7th film for ~£50.

On Amazon Japan, there's no set listed for the films on DVD, but there's a listing for the LE of the 1st film on DVD. From that film's page, you can leapfrog to some of the other films, and by doing that you can find listings for the first 6 films, which range in price (new) from ~¥3,400 (~$33) to ¥7,500 (~$73). The used prices are much cheaper than the new prices. For each of the films listed individually, there are listings by multiple third-party sellers fulfilled by Amazon.

A search on eBay turned up a region 2 LE DVD set available to bid on. It's currently going for another day and a half or so (1 day, 14 hours) and the current bidding price (there's no "Buy Now" option enabled) is $365.

As far as BD goes, aside from Amazon Japan and eBay, the only listings I found were for the BD LE set, which is insanely expensive everywhere. Amazon Japan and eBay both have listings for the SE BDs, with Amazon Japan's listing being considerably cheaper than eBay's (~$275 new on Amazon Japan (the "Used" listings aren't much cheaper than the "New" listings) vs. ~$500 new on eBay (I didn't see any used listings)). Just FYI, from my own experience I know that third-party sellers on Amazon (I'd assume any iteration of the site, be it US, UK, or JP) have the option of not shipping to places outside their own country, so buying from Amazon directly is the best bet.

As far as I can tell, those are pretty much your options for purchasing a version of the series (main 7 films + epilogue). The BD LE also has the remix film and some extra "making-of"-type video content, plus some physical extras. The written content in the physical extras is untranslated (the AoA version contains a translation booklet, but it's probably impossible to find one of those; plus, the booklet is available online anyways).

Now, as far as why the sets are so difficult to find, as ronri said, the AoA and PAL DVD collections are sold out (doubly confirming the AoA one, I remember seeing an announcement several months ago on the front page of their website saying it was sold out; their current listing for the series on the website also says it's sold out). Other than that, as far as I can tell, the only version that's been released outside of Japan is the BD LE which, in addition to being incredibly expensive also had a very limited print run.

I hope this helps!
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kara no Kyoukai 7: Satsujin Kousatsu (Part 2) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Aug 18, 2009

437 by Karva1 »»
Feb 25, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Rate all the KnK! (ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN ALL SEVEN!) ( 1 2 3 4 )

KaminaKai - Dec 13, 2009

187 by TierraRobada »»
Jul 16, 2023 6:53 AM

» Your thoughts on it all

FauxAzn - Jan 24, 2012

29 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 19, 2023 1:13 PM

» Opening music?

amade0 - Jul 13, 2010

9 by Ougi_00 »»
Feb 5, 2023 12:11 AM

» What order should I watch Kara no Kyoukai? ( 1 2 )

Snaita - Sep 23, 2012

67 by NekoZamurai »»
Dec 26, 2022 8:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.