Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 23, 2014 7:54 AM

Jul 2014
I find it really hard to avoid dubs. The only tolerable dubs I've ever come across were those of the Haruhi Suzumiya series and movie, every other dubbed anime has ranged from intolerable to infuriating. Worst example is Kokoro Connect, which has such shit English voice actors that it makes my teeth itch and fingernails shiver.

Why are anime dubbed at all, if they can't do a good job?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 23, 2014 7:56 AM

Aug 2011
If you find it hard to avoid dubs, you really aren't trying hard enough to do it. I don't like dubs, and I never will, yet I find it incredibly easy to avoid them.
Jul 23, 2014 7:56 AM
Mar 2013
Red_Tuesday said:

for children and people who can't read subtitles
Jul 23, 2014 7:59 AM

Jul 2014
JD2411 said:
Red_Tuesday said:

yeah but when the dubs are so bad, and is also considered a backup plan for those two groups of people - why, pray tell - are they always the DEFAULT choice? Having to change to subtitles and Japanese every episode is a drag.
Jul 23, 2014 8:02 AM
Mar 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
JD2411 said:

yeah but when the dubs are so bad, and is also considered a backup plan for those two groups of people - why, pray tell - are they always the DEFAULT choice? Having to change to subtitles and Japanese every episode is a drag.
with dvds and blu-rays the reason the default audio is english is because they were bought in an english speaking country

changing the audio every episode is annoying as fuck though
Jul 23, 2014 8:06 AM

Sep 2011
What the hell kind of dilema is this? Its not hard in any way shape or form to avoid a dub

And people watch them because its easier and more fun to watch things in their natural language than read subs, its nice to focus on the whole screen rather than the bottom half of it.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 23, 2014 8:07 AM

Jun 2014
You may find it annoying, but some of us prefer English dubs.

Changing the audio track on a DVD player only requires the pushing of one button. It's not that difficult.

Jul 23, 2014 8:07 AM
Aug 2012
How exactly do you have trouble avoiding them? I know I don't.
Jul 23, 2014 8:10 AM
Mar 2013
JizzyHitler said:
And people watch them because its easier and more fun to watch things in their natural language than read subs, its nice to focus on the whole screen rather than the bottom half of it.
You can still focus on the whole screen and read subs at the same time without any difficulty at all

Working_Designs said:

Changing the audio track on a DVD player only requires the pushing of one button. It's not that difficult.
and some of us prefer subs, yet we get neglected by the western anime industry

changing the audio track for every single episode is annoying
Jul 23, 2014 8:15 AM

Feb 2013
If you use VLC, you can set in Preferences -> Audio, and Preferences -> Subtitles the default language to be japanese for audio, and english for subtitles. Unless it's one of those shitty rips that calls them "Track 1" and "Track 2"; in this case, i use the hotkeys V and/or B, and rename the anime folder to remind me of these hotkeys ^^"

On other players it might be different, but there should be settings for subs and audio
Jul 23, 2014 8:16 AM

Aug 2011
JD2411 said:
JizzyHitler said:
You can still focus on the whole screen and read subs at the same time without any difficulty at all

Working_Designs said:

I've never had the issue of having to change the audio track for every episode, one change and it's subbed the entire way.
Jul 23, 2014 8:17 AM

Jun 2014
JD2411 said:
JizzyHitler said:

Working_Designs said:

You know what's really annoying? Finding out an Anime you really want to see has no English dub.

If we dub fans can put up with watching shows subbed sometimes, then surely you sub fans can put up with pushing the audio button on your DVD player.

Jul 23, 2014 8:17 AM
Aug 2012
JD2411 said:

I remember having to do this with the entirety of 00 Gundam. Who wants to listen to that shit dub anyway?
Jul 23, 2014 8:18 AM

Feb 2013
Working_Designs said:
You know what's really annoying? Finding out an Anime you really want to see has no English dub.

If we dub fans can put up with watching shows subbed sometimes, then surely you sub fans can put up with pushing the audio button on your DVD player.
there's so many good anime that are not dubbed i dont even
Jul 23, 2014 8:23 AM

Jun 2014
romagia said:
Working_Designs said:

Who said I didn't watch subbed Anime? I prefer dubs, but when I come across something I really want to see, I'll still watch it, even if it is sub only.

Jul 23, 2014 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
For the most part I do agree. But there are dubs that match the quality of the original. There are even dubs that exceed the quality of the original, but these are extremely rare - Baccano! and Ghost Stories are good examples of the latter.

Jul 23, 2014 8:26 AM
Mar 2013
romagia said:
you don't even what?
Jul 23, 2014 8:30 AM
Feb 2014
If you don't like watching dubs, don't force yourself to do it.

That being said, several shows do it well, others do it so bad, mainly all of Sentai/NIS
Jul 23, 2014 8:31 AM

Nov 2010
Working_Designs said:
No it isn't, that's the best. Because you don't have to change the audio each time you put in the disc and it's easier to find it subbed online. Especially if it's one of those old "the dub is better and more watched than the sub" anime.
Jul 23, 2014 8:33 AM
Nov 2008
it's 100% probable dubs are how you found out about anime.

IntroverTurtle said:
Working_Designs said:
No it isn't, that's the best. Because you don't have to change the audio each time you put in the disc and it's easier to find it subbed online. Especially if it's one of those old "the dub is better and more watched than the sub" anime.
change your blu-ray player's default audio track preference to japanese. problem solved.

you niggers gotta realise your media player has settings BEFORE you put in the disc, too. lol.
Jul 23, 2014 8:38 AM

Nov 2010
Heredity said:
it's 100% probable dubs are how you found out about anime.

IntroverTurtle said:
change your blu-ray player's default audio track preference to japanese. problem solved.

you niggers gotta realise your media player has settings BEFORE you put in the disc, too. lol.
I use a PS2 and I already told you that won't work.
Jul 23, 2014 9:08 AM

Dec 2013
preference
Jul 23, 2014 9:17 AM
Apr 2014
FMA:B and Darker Than Black has pretty good english dub IMO. But besides that I didn't come across really nice english dubs yet(to be fair I haven't tried much. I gave up after One Piece and Dragon Ball Z which are both awful). D. Gray-man probably is fine, too. Just watched the first episode of that one though because they didn't dub all episodes and thus it's kinda senseless.
Jul 23, 2014 9:28 AM

Mar 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
I find it really hard to avoid dubs.

Are they ambushing you on the street, dragging you into the alley kicking and screaming, and shooting you in the kneecap and leaving you to bleed out or something?
Jul 23, 2014 9:37 AM

Nov 2012
This is so stupid. If you don't like dubs, just watch subs, its that simple.

It does not take an incredible amount of effort to avoid dubs, especially considering the vast majority of anime in existence are not dubbed anyway.

Just avoid the dual audio and dubbed shit, and stick with sub only (if you download, idk what you're doing op, if you are a full pirate or 100% legal freak, or somewhere in between). If you are a pirate this thread is invalid, you can always find subs somewhere.
Jul 23, 2014 9:39 AM

Jun 2009
Topic Cleaned
You may talk about why dubs persist but do not turn this into a dub vs sub topic.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 23, 2014 10:34 AM
Jul 2014
What's with the ignorance towards dub?If you find it intolerable doesn't mean others find it as wellit
Jul 23, 2014 11:28 AM

Jun 2007
ITT: "Oh waaah, I have to undergo a minor inconvenience to enjoy HQ anime I didn't pay for!"

Why download dual-audio releases at all if you don't think you'll listen to the English track? Some groups that release dual-audio rips primarily cater to dub fans, because they assume that the sub-fans/purists/dub-haters are downloading other releases that... don't have the English track. Hence the English audio as default.

In theory, there are ways to set Japanese audio + full subs as default, though I haven't figured out how to do it ever since the maximum-lag-typesetting groups forced xy-vsfilter on us and the concurrent splitter change from Haali to LAV. (Along with restyling subs, that's another late-00s functionality that xy-vsfilter took away.) But there are other, more drastic options if you're that opposed to clicking a few buttons or hearing 4 seconds of English audio that may or may not actually contain any dialogue. If you obtain mkvtoolnix and mkvmerge, you can change the order of the streams and make JP audio and the full subs default, or remove any audio/subtitle tracks you don't need entirely. Either one of these acts will alter the file and make it incompatible with any batch torrents you may want to seed. So it'd be quicker and easier to just DL files without English audio in the first place -- check AniDB to see the audio tracks in a given release.
Jul 23, 2014 11:28 AM

Apr 2008
The only time I got annoyed about there being dubs was when I found out netflix and on demand on cable had anime I had been wanting to see. Much to my utter disappointment I found out they would only offer it dubbed. They are getting better with slowly understanding that a good portion of their target audience wont watch it without an alternative.
Jul 23, 2014 11:52 AM

May 2012
Zalis said:
In theory, there are ways to set Japanese audio + full subs as default, though I haven't figured out how to do it ever since ...

SMPlayer, the excellent front-end for mplayer, makes all this as simple as clicking a few boxes or filling in a form field. There is a version for Windows on the SMPlayer site; Linux versions usually reside in each distribution's repositories.

(Warning: If you download the Windows version, make sure to uncheck the box that would install "RocketSearch" as well.)
Jul 23, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2013
It's like dub haters are looking for something to bitch about no matter how invalid the argument.

If you buy the dvds they all come with a sub track and it takes just 1 button to switch and if you torrent it why would the companies want to make your life easier?
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 23, 2014 2:23 PM

May 2014
Because they do make good dubs.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jul 23, 2014 2:25 PM

Nov 2013
Jobs, economy, licensing, westernization of anime , etc.
Jul 23, 2014 2:29 PM

Feb 2010
Red_Tuesday said:
I find it really hard to avoid dubs.

That's your fail then.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 23, 2014 2:34 PM

Apr 2014
Aaaah!...hehe...takes me back xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_gtyyarG2A

Jul 23, 2014 2:45 PM

Oct 2012
Dubs are more accessible than subs, people new to the medium are more likely to be interested if they don't have to read subtitles. And its not like all dubs are universally crap, there are some very good dubs.
Jul 23, 2014 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
JD2411 said:
JizzyHitler said:

Working_Designs said:

This.

To actually respond to the thread though, it's mainly because quite a few people are intolerant of reading while watching. It's really simple once you get used to it, but people don't want to put in the effort.
Jul 23, 2014 3:25 PM

Mar 2013
Superpieguy said:
JD2411 said:

This.

To actually respond to the thread though, it's mainly because quite a few people are intolerant of reading while watching. It's really simple once you get used to it, but people don't want to put in the effort.
and? What is it to you? What do you care if someone enjoys watching something in a different way than you? If someone doesn't want to read when they watch a show then that is none of your business
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 23, 2014 3:32 PM

Nov 2013
Love the subs and convince yourself that dub is the worst thing created by Britannia.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jul 23, 2014 3:53 PM

Jan 2013
How is it hard to avoid dubs I don't get it. And not every show can get a dub because there a lot of licensing laws and copyrights and sometimes the Japanese studios just don't want to give the rights to Western studios. That is just the way it is.
Jul 23, 2014 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
Because there are people who like dubs. It's their preference, not yours. Of course English dubs will come out if people want it and there are a lot, not just a few, who want it.
Jul 23, 2014 4:47 PM

Sep 2013
JD2411 said:

Actually you really can't. Human perceptual span while reading is very focused (as in like 7 letters). When you're reading those subs you're not really focused on the image. Also, like most people, if you're watching a decent sized screen you'll shift your eyes to focus on important areas of the screens (i.e. losing focus on the rest of the image).

JD2411 said:

When was the last time you bought a DVD or BD? Pretty sure this doesn't happen anymore.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jul 23, 2014 8:26 PM

Mar 2012
Red_Tuesday said:
Worst example is Kokoro Connect, which has such shit English voice actors that it makes my teeth itch and fingernails shiver.
I think you'll find that Kokoro Connect was an English dub produced by Sentai Filmworks whose average quality is far lower than pretty much every other company
Jul 23, 2014 8:28 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Red_Tuesday said:

cause people like me can be too lazy to read subs
Jul 23, 2014 8:29 PM

Oct 2013
when i watch anime, i rarely come across a dubbed episode. the only time i do is when i am searching for old and outdated anime. those seem to have more dubbed than subbed online
Jul 23, 2014 8:42 PM

Jan 2011
Red_Tuesday said:

Why do some sub groups bother if they can't do a good job?
Jul 23, 2014 8:58 PM

Mar 2014
Nanashi- said:
FMA:B and Darker Than Black has pretty good english dub IMO. But besides that I didn't come across really nice english dubs yet(to be fair I haven't tried much. I gave up after One Piece and Dragon Ball Z which are both awful). D. Gray-man probably is fine, too. Just watched the first episode of that one though because they didn't dub all episodes and thus it's kinda senseless.

Lol no the One Piece dub is good and the DB series having a good dub is practically almost considered a fact by everyone... And who the hell cares if the episodes aren't all dub? There's 50 episodes dubbed..

Ugh some of the replies here are really crappy
Jul 23, 2014 9:06 PM

Nov 2010
TheGrandSage23 said:
And who the hell cares if the episodes aren't all dub? There's 50 episodes dubbed..
The people who actually want to finish the series in one language.

TheGrandSage23 said:
and the DB series having a good dub is practically almost considered a fact by everyone...
Only by the people who've grown up with a DBZ dub.
Jul 23, 2014 9:07 PM

Aug 2012
ITT: attention whores

If you can't be bothered to avoid a dub you never planned on seeing, you can't complain.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jul 23, 2014 9:19 PM

Mar 2013
Majikkusesu said:
JD2411 said:

Actually you really can't. Human perceptual span while reading is very focused (as in like 7 letters).

7 "units" is the typical size of a human's short term memory, not "perceptual span" (whatever that is).

As for the rest of the stuff you posted, if it's exposition, there's nothing to see anyways. If it's mid-action, a good anime won't have much dialogue anyways and you can read it out the corner of your eye while watching the action or you can read it fast and get back to the action.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 7 hours ago

36 by Longnines »»
2 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

41 by AverageRiceFan »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

19 by mizukasa »»
39 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Today

17 by RaymondAnime »»
41 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

43 by KittenCuddler »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.