Forum Settings
Forums

Broken Advanced Search | Genre/Producer/etc. Search

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 3, 2014 6:51 AM

Mar 2013
Plate said:
Why would they even add a two character minimum search? That's fucking retarded.

Because supposedly, the previous ways were destroying/killing MAL.
Aug 3, 2014 7:03 AM

Sep 2008
Any ideas why an error appears when you try to search through the individual letter lists?
Aug 3, 2014 7:25 AM

Oct 2009
Yashido said:
Any ideas why an error appears when you try to search through the individual letter lists?

Yes. Either search for __ or %% or add &q=__ or &q=%% at the end of the link, like this:
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?letter=A&q=__
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?letter=K&q=%%

Plate said:
Why would they even add a two character minimum search? That's fucking retarded.

My guess is that it was too taxing on the servers and it was the reason why MAL lagged recently
See also this post
Aug 3, 2014 5:15 PM

Apr 2013
DarkZev said:
▌MAL ADVANCE SEARCH FIX▌
Hello peeps of MAL. Here's a quick fix I came up with the advance search problem.
○Check the genres you want
○Type in the search box the following "%%" (without the coms of course.)
Click search and that's it.
Remember the devs are aware of the current issues throughout MAL at the moment so please take it easy on them, and as far as I can tell theres only one coder.
Anyways hope I helped Keep calm and keep watching anime.
~Zev
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1194989&pages=20&show=380#VFJrkszjoZdOBvwr.99

Thanks helped a lot, also thanks to other posters who mentioned the same quickfix
Aug 4, 2014 11:35 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
The advanced search should be fixed now or within a few minutes. Thank you for your patience.
Aug 4, 2014 12:26 PM

Nov 2011
Kineta said:
The advanced search should be fixed now or within a few minutes. Thank you for your patience.

I confirmed that the advanced search, genre search, etc. is now working for anime/manga. However, it is still affecting special club searches.

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php

When you click "Recently created", "Last active", or when you select a category, you get this error page:

The current patch is in my post above.

Edit: The advanced search function for users does not work either, although that's pretty easy to bypass with a couple of underscores.
TripleSRankAug 4, 2014 12:29 PM
Aug 5, 2014 12:48 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I'm aware of the Club searches still not working, sorry that I wasn't more specific. I don't have an ETA for when these will be fixed, but hopefully in the next few weeks.

As for the user search, there are currently 2,233,315 accounts (according to the bottom of the forum index). This is really cumbersome to search through (you can see by how long it takes to churn out results), so I'm suspecting even if I bring this to their attention, we won't be getting this reverted. I'm not sure that it's as important as the club feature either.
Aug 5, 2014 12:56 PM

Mar 2013
The user search is useless, imho. You can only pinpoint the user you are looking for by age, gender and location. If someone knows all of that, he/she probably knows the user's name in question as well. If that is covered, the user can manually be searched up by editing the URL on any profile, changing the username displayed to the one that's wanted. The only possible other reason of the user search function I see if someone would be looking for a specific group of people. While the gender and age might not matter for the majority, the location can just be another topic. After all, who doesn't like seeing an anime/manga lover from the same country, for example?

Still, excluding that one relatively minor addition that can be found useful by the users, I really believe the user search is quite useless and should have the lowers priority set in what to fix/enhance/get running.
Aug 6, 2014 7:05 AM

Nov 2011
To be honest, I don't personally care about the user search. I never use it.

Thanks for the update on the club search.
Aug 13, 2014 5:45 AM
Jul 2012
i have understood that for the search function to work you need at least 2 characters but then is there a way to get a list of all the anime on MAL? i used to go to search -> advanced search and only set TV and Completed as requirments and then press Eps so i could see the animes that has the most eps on MAL but now i don't know how to do that is there even i way to do it anymore?
Aug 13, 2014 9:08 AM

Oct 2009
puzzlemaster said:
i have understood that for the search function to work you need at least 2 characters but then is there a way to get a list of all the anime on MAL? i used to go to search -> advanced search and only set TV and Completed as requirments and then press Eps so i could see the animes that has the most eps on MAL but now i don't know how to do that is there even i way to do it anymore?

Yes... either
a) type any two characters, go to advanced search, and erase them
b) use __ or %% which work like wildcards, or use the direct link: http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=__
Aug 13, 2014 1:47 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
As a general note to everyone:

You can get to the advanced search by clicking the "Anime" link in the top navigation and then "Advanced Search".

By doing this you don't need to type anything and can just click. And it helps the database because you don't do an unnecessary search before your actual search. This is especially true for using the wildcards __ and %% because then you will run a search on all anime in the database. As mentioned on the first page of this thread these searches were problematic and why the restriction was implemented in the first place.

As soon as you select at least one filter in the advanced search you should be able to search without having to type at least two characters in the search field.
Mar 12, 2015 1:44 PM

Jan 2009
you can use % character tu fill the 2 required spaces in the text search, in a sql database % means any character, so %% means search all
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL not support catbox.moe image links?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

0 by vasipi4946 »»
Yesterday, 3:07 PM

» Got 502 Bad Gateway trying to create topic in Support

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

0 by vasipi4946 »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3366 by Midoriya_lzuku »»
Yesterday, 2:57 PM

» Invalid ID provided.

Zagafon - Sep 10, 2016

2 by Kitsunes97 »»
Yesterday, 9:24 AM

» Sort your list by member count/poularity?

paperkitten - Jun 17, 2010

1 by abdallah929 »»
Yesterday, 7:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.