Forum Settings
Forums
Appleseed Alpha
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2014 12:59 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I can't help but enjoy Appleseed movies. These cyborg, bioroid and weapon designs are fucking cool. It probably helps that I'm a big gamer. Talos and his companions reminded me a lot of Deus Ex. Besides that, the movie felt like it was substantially inspired by the Metal Gear series. A positive thing in my book, though I've only played the first game and half of the second one (so far).

It's by no means a perfect movie. The story was pretty damn predictable and little mistakes managed to sneak in. E.g. Deunan's rifle didn't seem to have any recoil at all while Briareos' sniper rifle did have recoil. Granted, it's a much higher caliber, but it bugs me when they forget to add details like this when they do show love for details in other parts of the movies.

The dialog is at the level of Final Fantasy games. Of course you're gonna get some cheesiness - I still enjoyed the conversations. I watched the dub, which I almost never do, and was quite impressed by it, actually. The voice actors did a good job, I think. They can only work with the script they're given. I feel like I know some of the voice actors and actresses but the IMDb page didn't list anyone familiar. Very odd.

So yeah, I'm probably biased towards Appleseed movies but I did enjoy this quite a bit! It had a few lines that made me laugh like 'You recycled smart car!' or 'You created a city named Olympus believing that would make you all gods.'

I wouldn't mind if they kept making Appleseed movies. I hope this one does well enough for them to do so.

[Edit]: I've just noticed that there are a few topics about this movie already. Do you guys know how this episode discussion system works?
cyruzJul 19, 2014 1:05 PM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 19, 2014 9:52 PM

Apr 2010
It doesn't seem like there's a Japanese dub. I think this is an English-language only movie. Then again, so was Shinji Aramaki's last film, Starship Troopers Invasion.

And only now do I realize how much Metal Gear Rising seemed to be inspired by Appleseed when it unveiled the Metal Gear EXCELSUS.
Jul 21, 2014 6:23 PM

Apr 2008
I prefer the previous movies, they had more fantasy to them and more going on. Maybe it was because of the Olympus setting with all its technology & politics. Plus the relationships of the characters were more interesting.
While Alpha was even more generic than the previous movie. A dull setting & nothing really going on with the relationship Deunan & Briareos. Maybe the sequel will be better when they get to Olympus(Make sure to watch after credits).
Jul 24, 2014 1:38 AM
Dec 2012
It definitely bore a lot of similarities to MGS 4 alright. There were enemies that looked almost identical to the geckos.

cyruz said:
little mistakes managed to sneak in. E.g. Deunan's rifle didn't seem to have any recoil at all while Briareos' sniper rifle did have recoil. Granted, it's a much higher caliber, but it bugs me when they forget to add details like this when they do show love for details in other parts of the movies.
That was silly alright, especially considering how skinny she was in it. She looked like she could barely hold a rifle. I've just started reading the manga lately. In it she's a lot more muscular than in any of the films, especially this one and comes off as a more believable action hero.
Jul 24, 2014 7:06 PM

Jan 2009
not as action pack as john woo's appleseed ex machina but still enjoyable
Aug 3, 2014 12:34 AM

Apr 2009
I'm not usually a nitpicker (and anime laws on clothing not withstanding) but I'm a little bit bothered that Deunan wasn't even armored lightly on the chest area...maybe it's for fanservice, heck maybe there's no light body armor/ sturdy tactical vest her size within miles of her reach or it's so damn hot after World War III or something...so yeah I'm just little bit bothered, that's all. LOL

Anyway the movie was just OK by me, plot or no plot I watched it for the CGI and the cool designs they came up with, they didn't disappoint there. 7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 3, 2014 6:35 AM
Dec 2012
The funny thing is she actually looked sexier with her figure hugging armour from the previous films.
Aug 15, 2014 7:17 PM

Feb 2013
Fat gangster pimp-bot. Woa, fembot...

The action intensity was pretty good throughout the movie.

SUPER TANK FTW! So glad to see on of those things again. I want one.
Aug 18, 2014 4:45 PM

Dec 2013
Ive heard this is/looks pretty good, considering I had my doubts.
I shall destroy and hate mankind
Sep 19, 2014 10:26 AM
Apr 2012
girlyman said:
Ive heard this is/looks pretty good, considering I had my doubts.

It’s an eye candy show.

Oct 4, 2014 5:02 PM

Nov 2010
Knowing a few things of Appleseed and Olympus I was flabberghasted of the quality of CGI used here especially around the finale with the Giant Spider
It was topnotch and highly enjoyable
I hope it sets a standard for other works in the future

The story itself was outdated while the dialogues were quite funny and deep at times
Nov 9, 2014 12:34 PM

Mar 2013
Sometimes I couldn't laugh at it because I was cringing so hard.
Feb 21, 2015 5:57 PM

May 2012
I really can't stand the CGI it just feels lacking in so many points, even if it was pretty damn solid high quality CGI it still bothered me too much to actually enjoy this movie.

Oh well it was worth the wait I guess.
Apr 27, 2015 12:39 AM

Jul 2012
Wasn't as action packed as I thought it would be,a bit disappointing . I didn't like how the movie started in the middle of a mission, but I guess there wasn't just enough screen time for doing a 10-15 minute start. The story was fine, the designs really good, the action nothing special, but it did have its moments. I definitely liked the animation and that it switched to first person a couple of times ,even if it was just for a few seconds, it looked awesome. However, the explosions near the end (when Briareos launched all the missiles) looked really low budget and off. This movie should have been at least 2 hours long, a proper introduction of the characters would have been nice, but I guess I am asking for too much here. 6/10 decent over all.

Oh and Deunan's design really reminded me of Miley Cyrus.
MaorApr 27, 2015 12:43 AM
הלב שלי כבר מת
Aug 12, 2015 2:02 AM

Mar 2009
This was off from the begging, i did enjoyed past movies of Appleseed so with this one i expected the same but improved, but come on... this had nothing to do with The Appleseed originality, the characters, the plot, even the set of the current events... seems like they just took the names and the gears and did some cliche story, even the dialogues/actions were predictable.

too bad that the movie looked so good but was the hell boring and definitely not the Appleseed i used to know, it was sadly disappointing =(

And don't get me started with the characters, they were ghosts of the originals, overall Briareos =/ (and Deunan's outfit.. geez, way too sexist).
Sep 15, 2015 4:12 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Impressive visuals for CGI, but they really could have asked for a more challenging script. The story and characters felt a bit flat IMO. I also missed having a Japanese dub. Some of the voice acting in English was awful .
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 22, 2016 12:13 PM

Nov 2013
Nice movie. Impressive visuals. Story was a bit lackluster and could have been better, but it was all right. Even the horny ( pun intended ) guy was a good guy in the end.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
May 24, 2016 9:45 AM

Feb 2015
The final fantasy type visuals (and limited action) were really, REALLY nice. Because of that, I completely forgot the story even existed.
Aug 10, 2016 8:24 PM

Aug 2013
Entertaining action movie, if nothing else at least it looked really good, Square Enix level CGI.
Jul 2, 2017 2:57 AM

Dec 2015
Apart from the nice visuals, this was yet another nonsensical Appleseed movie.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 9, 2017 5:36 PM
Jul 2017
Started off not the greatest. Didn't really like 2horns at all throughout the movie. The characters get unloaded some life truth then at the end they go forth and are giving a lesson as if they've lived that way their whole life.

Mobile weapon was cool, and cgi overall was impressive. Just make it past 35min or so and it pays off as an entertaining film. If I was a huge appleseed fan, I might be upset overall. Not really sure as this felt like an action movie with appleseed characters.
Sep 7, 2019 1:27 PM

Jul 2008
This was kinda average for me. Looked like a mix of Halo and Metal Gear. The story was very average.

I also have a feeling this isn't what Appleseed is supposed to be...I haven't watched any other versions.

Oh well 5/10.
Nov 20, 2019 4:51 AM

Nov 2018
I was surprised that this was even on here, I thought this was some random American animated film that I watched 3-4 years ago. I quite enjoyed this one and the CG was excellent compared to most anime on this site

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Dec 5, 2021 12:20 PM

Oct 2019
A largely disappointing movie, with a risible, plot-hole ridden, style over (zero) substance story. The animation was fine but it could have been a bit better. 5/10
Mar 1, 2023 1:26 PM

Aug 2017
This gets the award for the worst anime music ever. Dubstep, seiously? Other than that, I guess it's nice to see a "backstory" even if it's generic as hell. I liked the vision from Bri's helmet though, his internal operating system and stuff. I hope Iou Kuroda's manga is more interesting than this movie, though.

More topics from this board

» Well that was disappointing.

ZoneHunter - Jul 13, 2014

7 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Aug 27, 2023 4:26 AM

» question about story and timeline

taintedher0 - Aug 19, 2014

1 by laughterjones »»
Oct 4, 2017 4:41 PM

» Another new interpretation!?

SparrowSabre7 - Mar 3, 2014

4 by TheBigGuy »»
May 22, 2016 11:59 AM

» The best Appleseed movie yet (some spoilers)

Banshee-IV - Jul 19, 2014

2 by jayzmac12 »»
Jul 26, 2014 8:01 PM

» It seems that it's already out, the dubbed version at least.

gorki - Jul 13, 2014

1 by Dudeman343 »»
Jul 13, 2014 10:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.