Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, they didn't waste time with the action this episode. I think maybe Tatsuya will finally find someone that can fight him on even terms. Not that I doubted Masaki in the first place but his teamwork with his friend Shinkurou was near flawless.

Mm, those combo attacks. But in the end, Tatsuya's team takes that win. Not too shabby.
Jul 19, 2014 8:56 AM

Jul 2010
dat GATE OF BABYLON

The animation was right, lets hope they dont rush things now
Jul 19, 2014 9:17 AM
Oct 2013
To be honest, I was expecting a showdown of shots like Kamehameha in Dragon Ball, (it it crazy, I know) LOL
Jul 19, 2014 11:11 AM

Apr 2013
Tatsuya being Tatsuya. Be honest. We all knew what was going to happen. At least he let the other guys have a little bit of glory.

But that was a damn epic match. There was finally a good balance of crazy (and bad ass looking) action and solid explaining that didn't go too overboard. This was much better than watching a chick on a surfboard, shooting targets or melting chunks of ice (albeit in revealing in costumes). I think that this was definitely the best episode so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how many sluts (and probably dudes) will be all over Tatsuya's balls in the next episode.
dankzelJul 19, 2014 11:39 AM
Jul 19, 2014 11:21 AM

Dec 2010
Can't end an episode without an Onii-sama~
Jul 19, 2014 11:26 AM

Feb 2009
Sasuga Oniisama. He even had time to flip and catch the CAD in midair even when faced with 16 spells. And he was moving around the field faster than those spells manifesting which is coming from a first class caster from the 10MC. Sasuga Oniisama.
Nevertheless, best episode yet with all the pewpew magic.
Jul 19, 2014 11:38 AM

May 2013
I agree with best episode yet. I actually understood what was going on without a long-winded explanation. The one true Tatsuya Oniisama wins again.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jul 19, 2014 11:39 AM

Jan 2013
deanzel said:
Tatsuya being Tatsuya. Be honest. We all knew what was going to happen.

I thought they were gonna go for the get crushed and then turn the battle cliché. Kinda prefer the domination alternative!
The magic isn't bad, but I feel like they maybe could have put some more work in the combat scenes (overall) in tihs anime.

Love this anime, can't wait for the next week!!
Jul 19, 2014 11:42 AM

Apr 2012
fucking wow! that fight those skills fucking deadly!
ninja have nothing on Tatsuya especially not blonde, orange jumpsuit wearing ones
Jul 19, 2014 11:46 AM

Nov 2013
The animation was pretty impressive during those 'bullet-time' moments. Enjoyable episode!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 19, 2014 11:49 AM

Jan 2014
Best episdoe thus far. Give us more like this and I'll be happy.
Watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, you wont be disappointed. http://q.pokefarm.org/user/Uran10
Check out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEz0PrV3Vh-ksW0mzOWnnSQ

Jul 19, 2014 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
uran10 said:
Best episdoe thus far. Give us more like this and I'll be happy.

Took those words straight out of my mouth. xD
Jul 19, 2014 11:50 AM

Jan 2009
One of the most Epic fights in anime history in my books.
Jul 19, 2014 11:55 AM

Jun 2013
That fight was awesome, Tatsuya is so strong.
Jul 19, 2014 11:56 AM

May 2013
Tatsuya was a major badass this episode. What a great fight and a great episode.
Jul 19, 2014 11:57 AM

Nov 2013
Miyuki was dripping wet when Tatsuya won

Jul 19, 2014 12:05 PM
Apr 2013
OK why was the spirit guy acting all weird? Was he shocked that Leo could take on that spell without any defense or something?

Well by far the best episode of this show, was finally impresed by it. It really blended the explanation and fighting evenly for once and was not very dry. The school arc is pretty cool I guess but probably a tad to long and drawn out.
Jul 19, 2014 12:08 PM

Jul 2013
Well, apart from the obvius and the epic fight.
It must be time people realize how that peer of their is not human.
Jul 19, 2014 12:08 PM

Nov 2012
Another awesome episode. I felt like I was watching the Matrix, dat skill.
Jul 19, 2014 12:09 PM

Jul 2013
The animation this episode was amazing! Really happy with the way they animated the fight. The explanations were handled pretty well too. 2 more episodes and this arc will be over I think.
Jul 19, 2014 12:10 PM

Oct 2013
ponygon123 said:
OK why was the spirit guy acting all weird? Was he shocked that Leo could take on that spell without any defense or something?

He was startled to discover that both Leo and Tatsuya were physically alright after taking all that damage while he himself was worn-out. He came to the conclusion that he needed to practice more so he could be on the same level as them.
Jul 19, 2014 12:13 PM
Jul 2011
The part Erika was laughing, are the cloaks really look weird and funny on Leonhart and Mikihiko?
Is that really something to laugh hard about?

Masaki, most of the time he seemed confident, maybe too relaxing if I conclude myself.
Masaki should have more effort at the match, especially against Tatsuya.
Again, he looked too relaxed, I can't believe his expression did not change until Tatsuya gets close to him.
Jul 19, 2014 12:17 PM

Aug 2010
I think this was the best ep of the series ^^ Well it was also the best part of the LN's vol so I don't know how they could even ruin it XD

As usual, Tatsuya being Modest as hell saying there's no way I can win against Masaki <_<

Dem Matrix moves Tatsuya was doing were awesome. Talk about multitasking dodging all that while shooting them all before activation.

The way he just clicked his fingers and made Masaki faint was so fabulous XD
Dat Self restoration is illegal XD Fractured ribs and ruptured vessels...Nope that can heal in an instant "T'is but a flesh wound" XD

Miki and Leo were great too ^^...Lol'd at Miki being Mindfucked at how much of a monster Leo and Tatsuya were and they're acting so nonchalantly about it XD
Jul 19, 2014 12:19 PM

Feb 2012
So they finally pull Chevok's gun with Tatsuya's battle rez spell. Kinda disappointed with the crimson dude, all he can do is shoot magic missles from the air? Other than that the match was amazing!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2014 12:19 PM

Apr 2014
finally we got action in the anime

and tatsuya defeated suzaku masaki with just a snap from his fingers

i cant wait until everybody discover his identity

hope we get more of this in the next ep
Jul 19, 2014 12:20 PM
Jan 2014
wow that episode was just amazing and intense Tatsuya really is something special.
Jul 19, 2014 12:26 PM

Oct 2013
kickmesign said:
So they finally pull Chevok's gun with Tatsuya's battle rez spell. Kinda disappointed with the crimson dude, all he can do is shoot magic missles from the air? Other than that the match was amazing!

Masaki was nerfed as well. His family magic Rupture is terrifying on the battlefield. He's a Miyuki level magician and that's saying something. He just wasn't allowed to use magic that dangerous otherwise Tatsuya would have far more than the broken ribs and internal hemorrhage he got this episode.
Jul 19, 2014 12:28 PM
Feb 2013
Well, they won and 3rd high got owned.
Jul 19, 2014 12:30 PM
Dec 2013
we all knew he was going to win, is just that we really wanted to see him fight. really good episode
Jul 19, 2014 12:31 PM
May 2014
5/5 SHIT this episode was AMAZING, MadHouse delivers on the action yet again. Did not disappointed at all and the pacing was great during the battle with not too much info dump just the right amount. Well done, enjoyed it so much!
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 19, 2014 12:37 PM
May 2014
millie10468 said:
kickmesign said:

Masaki was nerfed as well. His family magic Rupture is terrifying on the battlefield. He's a Miyuki level magician and that's saying something. He just wasn't allowed to use magic that dangerous otherwise Tatsuya would have far more than the broken ribs and internal hemorrhage he got this episode.

Actually if you read the light novel or watched the anime closely, he violated the rules by releasing too many bullets, which in turn was the reason why Tatsuya sustained those injuries. I'll quote from the light novel.
"A continuous chain of sixteen compressed air bullets, far surpassing the limits laid down by the rules, came swarming towards Tatsuya."

A few lines down.

"Yet in this instant, he had to dispel 16 shots.

Even though Tatsuya instantly made the call that Gram Demolition wasn't going to make it in time, he resolutely refused to use "Decomposition". He stubbornly stuck to his orders to keep classified magic under wraps.
He hid the fact that he was capable of "decomposing" information structures through "Gram Dispersal" and met the attack with "Gram Demolition".
The ensuing result was a given.
After bringing down 14 of the shots, the last two hits struck home on Tatsuya's body."

If Tatsuya wanted to, he could have used Decomposition and easily dispersed the attack.
Tatsuya is on a different level than Masaki. If you saw in the anime, Masaki never used more than 5 bullets at once, which was way less than what he used there. So, I'm guessing the limit is UNDER 16. Also, Tatsuya had to dispel them at near point blank range which he managed to take down 14 of them. Masaki could never land a single bullet on him without breaking the rules.
LinedFuryJul 19, 2014 12:40 PM
Jul 19, 2014 12:38 PM

Mar 2013
That was corny as hell....

2/5

Jul 19, 2014 12:44 PM
May 2013
LinedFury said:
millie10468 said:

Actually if you read the light novel or watched the anime closely, he violated the rules by releasing too many bullets, which in turn was the reason why Tatsuya sustained those injuries. I'll quote from the light novel.
"A continuous chain of sixteen compressed air bullets, far surpassing the limits laid down by the rules, came swarming towards Tatsuya."

A few lines down.

Even though Tatsuya instantly made the call that Gram Demolition wasn't going to make it in time, he resolutely refused to use "Decomposition". He stubbornly stuck to his orders to keep classified magic under wraps.
He hid the fact that he was capable of "decomposing" information structures through "Gram Dispersal" and met the attack with "Gram Demolition".
After bringing down 14 of the shots, the last two hits struck home on Tatsuya's body."

If Tatsuya wanted to, he could have used Decomposition and easily dispersed the attack.
Tatsuya is on a different level than Masaki. If you saw in the anime, Masaki never used more than 5 bullets at once, which was way less than what he used there. So, I'm guessing the limit is UNDER 16. Also, Tatsuya had to dispel them at near point blank range which he managed to take down 14 of them. Masaki could never land a single bullet on him without breaking the rules.

And you will also notice that Tatsuya was able to come this near only because Masaki was shocked. Tatsuya is not on a different level compared to Masaki, the battle was like that only because it was a game and that their magics are limited. He thought in this episode that he would not be sure to beat him on a true battlefield.
Jul 19, 2014 12:45 PM

Feb 2012
millie10468 said:
kickmesign said:

Just sayin, if he really was comparable to Tatsuya I'd think he would have more legal abilities up his sleave.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2014 12:50 PM
May 2014
HomeAlone said:
LinedFury said:

A few lines down.

And you will also notice that Tatsuya was able to come this near only because Masaki was shocked. Tatsuya is not on a different level compared to Masaki, the battle was like that only because it was a game and that their magics are limited. He thought in this episode that he would not be sure to beat him on a true battlefield.

Let's look at this like it would be on a battle field if you want to go there. Misaki covers for his comrade like in normal battle. He gets rushed at and panics and uses his ablities right? Somehow after using his most powerful abilities he is shocked that Tatsuya is still alive, right? Shock is a real factor in battle, a slight hesitation can mean death. Yes, he came close because he was stunned at what had just happened, but it's not an excuse in a real battle. Tatsuya would easily win still. I'm not counting the fact that Tatsuya has flash cast and knows all 16 cardinal codes.
Jul 19, 2014 12:51 PM

Sep 2013
HE IS MOFO SHIBA TATSUYA REMEMBER HIS NAME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H45ej9HEFdA

ALMOST ALL OF MASAKI"S ABILITIES ARE ALL MEANT TO KILL AND THIS IS A NO KILL COMPETITION, GEEZUS WHO IS THE I!IOT SPREADING BS?

Baku219 said:
I agree with best episode yet. I actually understood what was going on without a long-winded explanation. The one true Tatsuya Oniisama wins again.

Amen.
ichii_1Jul 19, 2014 12:59 PM
Jul 19, 2014 12:53 PM

Jul 2014
WHAT THE? AMAZING EPISODE, BEST EPISODE OF THE YEAR I ASSUME!

really cool, the fight between Crimson and Tatsuya, and the finishing move, really move me, still can't believe there's an episode like this, the fight, beyond the fighting anime, i suppose

and magic using at that time, the accuracy and speed, and the slow motion also, really packed in a great episode, and how he use self-regeneration magic after taking a lethal damage, is reaaalllyyyy amazing. it's far above my expectation
a dual-sword wielder, fire element in right arm and ice element in left arm
Jul 19, 2014 12:53 PM

Oct 2013
kickmesign said:
millie10468 said:

Just sayin, if he really was comparable to Tatsuya I'd think he would have more legal abilities up his sleave.

According to Fujibayashi Kyouko in this episode, there is only one person on the same level as Tatsuya in Japan and a rumored 49 in the entire world. Masaki was out-classed, no doubt about it. But he would have done a lot more damage before being done in if he wasn't forbidden from using his more potent magics.
Jul 19, 2014 12:56 PM

Jul 2014
kickmesign said:
millie10468 said:

well tatsuya already overpowered though hahah
a dual-sword wielder, fire element in right arm and ice element in left arm
Jul 19, 2014 12:56 PM
Feb 2014
Well... at least Madhouse didnt screw this one up.

The action was great. Finally, got to see the thigs I envisioned in the Light Novels animated. Tatsuya's battle with Masaki was awesome. It was actually more epic than I expected.

Only 2 things. 1. It's weird Miyuki is crying. I think there was an explanation for it in the LN, but I can't rmb, and i dont think the anime made it too clear why she wud cry... meh...
2. Another thing they didnt make clear was why Mikihiko was so confused at the end. Even I was confused deapite reading the LN...

I'm a bit worried abt the pacing. It's already episode 16. Theres jus 8 episodes left. The OP implies they'll be animating the Yokohama arc, but the 9SC arc isnt even over. I have no idea how they'll try and fit in Yokohama arc in less than 8 episodes... hat arc is one of my favourite arcs, but also one of the longest and more complex arcs...
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 19, 2014 12:59 PM

Oct 2012
the action and animations in this episode were great
prob my favorite episode so far :D
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jul 19, 2014 1:12 PM
May 2013
LinedFury said:
HomeAlone said:

Let's look at this like it would be on a battle field if you want to go there. Misaki covers for his comrade like in normal battle. He gets rushed at and panics and uses his ablities right? Somehow after using his most powerful abilities he is shocked that Tatsuya is still alive, right? Shock is a real factor in battle, a slight hesitation can mean death. Yes, he came close because he was stunned at what had just happened, but it's not an excuse in a real battle. Tatsuya would easily win still. I'm not counting the fact that Tatsuya has flash cast and knows all 16 cardinal codes.

Tatsuya knows the code but he can't use them, it is magic from the normal system he never used the codes in the LN, they can't be more powerful than Decomposition anyway. I was talking about a battle with Masaki in solo so the teammates are not considered. Both of them would have not battled like that. On a battlefield Tatsuya would have used Decomposition and not tried to hide Elemental Sight, Masaki would have stopped to decrease the power of his magics, used more various magics and Rupture.
Jul 19, 2014 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
millie10468 said:
kickmesign said:

According to Fujibayashi Kyouko in this episode, there is only one person on the same level as Tatsuya in Japan and a rumored 49 in the entire world. Masaki was out-classed, no doubt about it. But he would have done a lot more damage before being done in if he wasn't forbidden from using his more potent magics.

I'm sure tatsuya had other plans if he'd have to face him without restrictions. That being said I'm sure he'd still have a problem with him regardless.

On the topic of the episode though, I thought it was one of the best. Granted the action helped but the degree of how they played the match out was spectacular.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jul 19, 2014 1:17 PM

Dec 2011
I think this battle is going to be a hard one even for Tatsuya.

Awwww Miyuki :3

Mikihiko is like a jedi or something lol.

So... they're just going to shoot over and over?

Esteemed eyes... but... but he has no eyes...

Holy crap... look at Tatsuya's ninja skills :O

Um... is Tatsuya an AI now or what lol? Being able to restore himself from a backup, damn...

With just a finger snap he was able to send such a powerful sound wave that it was disturbing everyone lol.

It looks like Saegusa-kaichou is asking how come Tatsuya was still able to get up after he was clearly defeated.

So there's one more individual on the same level as him in Japan and 50 with him in the whole world... wow.

Tatsuya's so op...

FIRST HIGH HAS WON THE ROOKIE EVENT!!!

It seems Leo's body is superhuman lol.

Poor Mikihiko... only monsters around him XD.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 19, 2014 1:29 PM

Dec 2013
I wonder if they're going to take the battle outside of the arena ^^
Jul 19, 2014 1:38 PM
Nov 2010
Shaniyaz said:
Leo and Mikihiko actually looks pretty cool with those mantles and robes!
Mikihiko taking out Shinkurou was pretty awesome too. His resolve was quite strong!
Not sure why he's all gloomy even after they won the match. Perhaps, he still feels incompetent compared to Leo?

Tatsuya saying Leo stole the spotlight was hilarious! Leo was awesome alright but his techniques are nowhere near Tatsuya's level.

Good episode. I assume Tatsuya's motivation behind winning the match was due to Miyuki's words to him earlier. Job well done, Onii-sama! (^^)

From the LN:
Seeing those two, Mikihiko thought.
In the end, the final gasp was not decided by Magic Power or spells, but by physical endurance.
Upon seeing the two others finally give in to the undying applause and stand there side by side, shoulder to shoulder, as they waved back in response despite their embarrassment, Mikihiko was painfully aware that: "I need to train a lot more......"
Jul 19, 2014 1:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wasn't the Cardinal guy supposed to be supersmart or something? After seeing all that TS has done, how can he be surprised that he came up with something new for the fight against them? It was to be expected that he would change things up.

I keep on waiting for Miyuki to jump into oni-sama's arms and just plant him a big wet kiss on the lips, society and family be damned.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 19, 2014 1:49 PM
Nov 2011
HomeAlone said:
LinedFury said:

A few lines down.

Tatsuya is not on a different level compared to Masaki, the battle was like that only because it was a game and that their magics are limited. He thought in this episode that he would not be sure to beat him on a true battlefield.
HomeAlone said:
LinedFury said:

A few lines down.

Tatsuya is not on a different level compared to Masaki, the battle was like that only because it was a game and that their magics are limited.

Rewatch 1:05 - 1:40 of the first episode and say that again
Jul 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Jul 2010
millie10468 said:
According to Fujibayashi Kyouko in this episode, there is only one person on the same level as Tatsuya in Japan and a rumored 49 in the entire world.

Nah, she was talking about

Also, Kyouko
Jul 19, 2014 1:52 PM

Dec 2011
As expected, one episode fully dedicated to the battle.
This episode was brilliant in many ways. I really liked the animation when Tatsuya dispersed those 16 (well, 14 to be precise) bullets. More please!

Marzan said:
Wasn't the Cardinal guy supposed to be supersmart or something? After seeing all that TS has done, how can he be surprised that he came up with something new for the fight against them? It was to be expected that he would change things up.

He underestimated Tatsuya, and to some degree he also underestimated Mikihiko and Leo.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.