Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2014 7:46 PM

Jan 2013
Well, people may not like this show, but they at least should be consistent, unless they have some kind of popular-anime-phobia and not-popular-anime-philia. Yup.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 19, 2014 7:47 PM

Sep 2011
Chabe said:

There was more to my original post than the knife argument, that's just what one commenter focused on and I replied to him. Also, I've mentioned those things previously.

The subject material may be different but the point still stands, the fallacy with these complaints your making is too reliant on projecting our physical rules upon a fictionalized storytelling medium that is not attempting to replicate our world.

Your other complaints are more inferences than weighted complaints, such as your comments on the martian's stupidity which you really dont have any real proof of them being stupid for the simple fact no viewer has any proof of any actions nor purposes of said martian's goals whether they be smart, dumb, or mixed in between. The fact of the matter is we havent much of any of the military' goals(other than an assumed goal of world domination, key word ASSUMED) or really what the hell any of the higher ups are doing. we have only seen the actions of a bigoted ground troop. Thats not enough to judge any large military's intelligence especially this early in the series where we have seen only parts of a single conflict which marks the first fight of a war. you dont measure a opponents intelligence based off a single move in a chess game. That underestimation is as careless as the martians underestimation you seem to be dead set on them thinking.

Of course i said inferences not guesses, you did apply what we have seen and used some form of critical thinking to come up with some of these statements(some, minor or not your knife comment is entirely wrong for example). But the big point im making here, its your complaints arent real complaints....yet, but rather your assuming they will be compalints, and by that simple action you are setting those expectations in your mind that you will be more likley to set those thoughts in stone regardless of they truly happen or not

And then theres just the smaller things like nitpicking, which is what the knife was. And before you say anything, im using the knife as a basis of example and not as the subject. The knife debate is already over but the concept behind the complaint applies to the rest.
JizzyHitlerJul 19, 2014 7:51 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 19, 2014 7:48 PM

Mar 2013
Chabe said:
Newhopes said:

Earth had access to the alien jump gate or what ever it was on the moon, they may not have got the running tech the martians have but they more than likely had the time to study that gate and make advances in technology.

They haven't shown anything of the sort. You're just trying to cover for a bad story.

They told us about the Gate in the frist episode, found on the moon in 1972 destroyed in a war 1999, what where they doing in that 27 years while they had access twiddling their thumbs?

As others have said your nit picking.

Jul 19, 2014 7:51 PM

Apr 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
MAL is going to lose it's shit over this episode considering how edgy it is and depicts a genius protagonist owning the idiot enemy that the other idiot side couldn't even scratch while loud "epic" Sawano music plays in the background. It's literally everything modern anime fandom loves except just in a mecha package for a change.

You're literally coming across as the most edgy user here.
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 19, 2014 7:52 PM

Jul 2014
Inaho is starting to remind me how Amuro Ray was back in the day. I'll make a prediction and say that the title of this anime is maybe a mech that Earth will use for a counterattack on a equal level.
"I only studied a little bit of history and I have learned there are two current thoughts in human history. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When the war begins, it is on the pretext of the former type of people and it justify the latter when the war ends"
Jul 19, 2014 8:00 PM

Jun 2014
Newhopes said:
Chabe said:
They haven't shown anything of the sort. You're just trying to cover for a bad story.

They told us about the Gate in the frist episode, found on the moon in 1972 destroyed in a war 1999, what where they doing in that 27 years while they had access twiddling their thumbs?

Judging by the '15 years of preparation' they do like to twiddle their thumbs a lot.

They haven't shown that they gained anything from studying the gate, if they even did. If any new tech was gleamed from the gate then they should mention it. Not that it would be shared throughout the world anyway. Also, the first ep even says that all the Martian stuff was claimed by the Vers Empire, whether that means they took everything or simply said everything should be theirs isn't explained.

Newhopes said:

It's hardly nitpicking when it was required to defeat the bad guy.
Jul 19, 2014 8:02 PM

Sep 2011
Punk_Craft said:
Inaho is starting to remind me how Amuro Ray was back in the day. I'll make a prediction and say that the title of this anime is maybe a mech that Earth will use for a counterattack on a equal level.
I dont see amuro ray, mainly cause amuro spent almost the entire 1st series moaning and spouting egotistical statements until harsh realities of war and consequences of his actions snapped him into reality. Inaho seems very different from what amuro was going for and seems way more level headed and aware of his surroundings.

Despite its clear intent to compete with the gundam franchise I have to say im very glad that in its attempt to take on that monolith its decided to do so by not replicating what that series has done but rather try things out on its own, Thats why im really hoping inaho just ends up being a normal guy in a normal mech rather than get some over powered powers like the gundam or newtype powers, we dont get many stories where the main character isnt some godsend from the universe so id welcome it with open arms if we get that. Thats actually one of the reasons i so heavilyl praise gundam 08 team and war in the pocket, the conflicts are way more engrossing when the heroes are handicapped and must adjust to their surroundings to survive rather than be given the destructive means of success.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 19, 2014 8:17 PM
Mar 2013
He fucked that guy up! Finally stuck up for himself!
Jul 19, 2014 8:19 PM

Nov 2012
Ok episode, not a fan of these english songs inserted during the fight scenes, meh.
And looks like the progression might go like as I guessed 2 eps ago - trying to kill the princess before the other martians find out.

ex_necross said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I think the question you should be asking is how is he able to receive data from the flying cameras and communicate with Slaine if the barrier supposedly absorbs all radio waves.

I can see the confusion. Though I wouldn't call this a plot hole, just something left unexplained. They could have pulled something out of their ass to explain it.

People will naturally nit-pick every detail of this show, so I assume their line of thinking was "fuck it".
Watch the episode... the MC even went to the trouble of spelling out the need of the gap to the audience.
Every episode here we had this /people not watching the episode properly/ as of yet. Refreshing memory:

TyrelJul 19, 2014 11:40 PM
Jul 19, 2014 8:22 PM

Aug 2012
I love this show lol
Jul 19, 2014 8:35 PM

Aug 2013
Slaine finally stood up for himself...no he stood up for the princess. One shot isn't enough, empty the magazine. Hope he joins the Earth forces.

I wonder if Cruhteo was aware there was plan to assassinate the princess. Seemed like he was the princess's guardian so he most likely knew the one killed was a double. Was he trying to lure the traitors?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 19, 2014 8:37 PM

Jan 2011
I don't think the martian mech was armored. Metal != armor, and it might not have been metal in the first place. Not that it makes a difference, given that we don't know what kind of materials the martians possess. But given the inconvenience the barrier did possess, i believe Trillram would have dropped it or not used it in the first place if the mech was supposed to have good armor.

We also don't know what kind of materials humans have. They might not have gotting any martian technology, but they might very well have developed new materials after their encounter with the martians. The mechs alone might require different materials then we have to achieve that maneuverability etc.

Still, the way the martian mech had a serious design flaw. The hole was required, but could have been placed differently (a spot harder to reach/with less impact on the integrity of the mech and it's pilot, like, shoulder, arm or head), reinforced and covered.
Jul 19, 2014 8:38 PM

May 2014
Episode OP enough for me to think that its one of the best of this starting season so far. The ending was pretty much unexpected, I mean, I'm used to those puny side characters that pussy-out at the most important momento. Slaine has my kudos.
As for Mahou Shoujo Princess... well, she's officially a bad ass one.

Overall, all the characters in here surprised as something made outside the box, except the main one. Predictably OP, but nothing to undermine the entire episode, 'cause, you know... dat music! I think I'll be hearing and reading a lot of Aldnoah.Zero from now on.
Jul 19, 2014 8:41 PM

Apr 2014
I found this episode to be miles better than the first two. Much more interesting story now going forward.

Really liked the resolve at the end there with Slaine. This whole episode was a lot more entertaining to watch.

Hopefully A-1 can stay consistent now, but I'll hold that judgement for later, because, it is A-1.
Nop.
Jul 19, 2014 8:49 PM

Jun 2013
Setimo said:
Ok episode, not a fan of these english songs inserted during the fight scenes, meh.
And looks like the progression might go like as I guessed 2 eps ago - trying to kill the princess before the other martians find out.

ex_necross said:

I can see the confusion. Though I wouldn't call this a plot hole, just something left unexplained. They could have pulled something out of their ass to explain it.

People will naturally nit-pick every detail of this show, so I assume their line of thinking was "fuck it".
Watch the episode... the MC even went to the trouble of spelling out the need of the gap to the audience.
Every episode here we had this /people not watching the episode properly/ as of yet. Refreshing memory:

We were talking about how the communication was possible. The receiver in the gap in the armor doesn't explain that completely. The waves should still be eaten up. I assume its due to the "light of Aldnoah" which is also why the suit is not black when it should be since it absorbs all waves. Also, please spoiler those giant images.
ex_necrossJul 19, 2014 8:58 PM
Jul 19, 2014 9:04 PM

May 2014
Damn, this is like the complete opposite of what I hated about Captain Arse.
This show doesn't have dumb, irresponsible kids that have overpowered robots.
Jul 19, 2014 9:09 PM

Oct 2013
Fuck I'm in love with the OSTs of this anime. Now that is how you take down an invincible foe. Love Inaho figuring it all out and leading his friends to defeat that Martian mech. Princess Asseylum shows herself and Slaine finally figured out that it was all set up. Slaine doing some slaying at the end lol. Hope the rest of the series will be this good or even better.
Jul 19, 2014 9:12 PM
Sep 2013
The ost is a want. Finally Inaho got his revenge and Slaine killed the guy didn't think he would but glad he did. Princess is going to mess up there plans If It comes out that she is alive and with the enemy.
Jul 19, 2014 9:19 PM

Aug 2013
the ost was awesome

Slain and Inaho are both becoming very likeable characters.
Jul 19, 2014 9:22 PM

Aug 2013
Ah i love how Inaho only used his brain and whatever intel he could get to defeat the seemingly invincible mecha without any godsend robot. Now if only Heavy Object gets an anime adaption as well..

And it looks like Slaine will not be going Spinzaku, now this is a good sign.
Jul 19, 2014 9:25 PM
Jan 2014
Epic battle. Love how original this series is, in a sense that it's actually going the reverse of the established Gundam cliche. So instead of the usual MC found an overpowered mech, this show focus on a group of ordinary mechs engaging in tactical combat to take down a superior, insanely op enemy mech. It's literally a breathe of fresh air in the stagnant, generic mecha anime.
Jul 19, 2014 9:29 PM

Sep 2011
Chabe said:
Newhopes said:

Judging by the '15 years of preparation' they do like to twiddle their thumbs a lot.

They haven't shown that they gained anything from studying the gate, if they even did. If any new tech was gleamed from the gate then they should mention it. Not that it would be shared throughout the world anyway. Also, the first ep even says that all the Martian stuff was claimed by the Vers Empire, whether that means they took everything or simply said everything should be theirs isn't explained.

Newhopes said:

It's hardly nitpicking when it was required to defeat the bad guy.

Thanks for ignoring my post, I really enjoy seeing people dish out criticism like no other yet ignore the criticism directed at them

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 19, 2014 9:41 PM
Feb 2012
JizzyHitler said:
Pknoctis said:
Yes but it wasn't black.
thats an actual (but really minor) flaw there. It really doesnt ruin anything in the slightest as its pretty much irrelevant to all the series but at least this observation has more logic into it than that awful knife argument.

It actually does turn black when being disabled at the end so they did cover that actually. It probably just lets a certain light spectrum through when fully powered.
Jul 19, 2014 9:44 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah, nitpick how lasers are visible in every sf media. How about sound in space?
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Feb 2014
I hope I never become a critic like this with anime O.o"
Geez, you guys need to chill out more. Stress isn't good for your health you know...
Jul 19, 2014 9:46 PM

Oct 2007
So basically what I gather from this thread is people are really jizzing themselves over the OST.
Jul 19, 2014 9:50 PM

Feb 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
So basically what I gather from this thread is people are really jizzing themselves over the OST.
And about a knife.
Jul 19, 2014 9:54 PM

Apr 2014
The OST is okay. It's pretty much identical to SNK. Whatever his name is never uses any different programs to produce his music. It all sounds the same.
Nop.
Jul 19, 2014 10:06 PM

Apr 2010
jiyoan said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
And about a knife.

Don't forget the mahou shoujo.
Jul 19, 2014 10:11 PM

Sep 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
and the characters, and the tactics, and the pacing, and the potential for future events, and the action, and yes the ost.

People like this show for a plethora of reasons cause its doing alot of things right and avoiding falling victim to alot of tropes that end up killing alot of mecha shows dead on arrival, really the only thing going against its first 3 episodes is the CG looks ugly. Were getting a series with bulky and weighted mechs where the main character is just a dude in a mech with no powers or reliance on a op mech forcing the reliance of tactics and cooperation with team mates similarly to the excellent gundam ms team which writing and action wise stands leagues above most mecha and war stories in the anime medium, Its one of the rarest perspectives in anime war fiction to have a human struggle rather than a superhuman one.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 19, 2014 10:14 PM

Mar 2013
antonn said:
jiyoan said:
And about a knife.

Don't forget the mahou shoujo.

The transformation sequence wasn't long enough to be a real mahou shoujo.
Jul 19, 2014 10:22 PM

Nov 2012
great episode!
the princess is still alive.. surprise, surprise.. i wonder why she sided with the terrans though?
the music in this episode was awesome c:
Jul 19, 2014 10:25 PM

Mar 2013
silverwalls said:
great episode!
the princess is still alive.. surprise, surprise.. i wonder why she sided with the terrans though?

Oh, I don't know... this is just a guess, but perhaps it's because the martians tried to assassinate her?

Nah, that's probably just a coincidence.
Jul 19, 2014 10:25 PM

Oct 2007
JizzyHitler said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
and the characters, and the tactics, and the pacing, and the potential for future events, and the action, and yes the ost.

People like this show for a plethora of reasons cause its doing alot of things right and avoiding falling victim to alot of tropes that end up killing alot of mecha shows dead on arrival, really the only thing going against its first 3 episodes is the CG looks ugly. Were getting a series with bulky and weighted mechs where the main character is just a dude in a mech with no powers or reliance on a op mech forcing the reliance of tactics and cooperation with team mates similarly to the excellent gundam ms team which writing and action wise stands leagues above most mecha and war stories in the anime medium, Its one of the rarest perspectives in anime war fiction to have a human struggle rather than a superhuman one.

I know what it's going for but so far it doesn't do a very good job at it since the characters basically suck and the mecha designs themselves are self-defeating. This episode was basically the show trying to go "see we have tactics" but the fight was actually just pretty one sided and reliant on the enemy pilot being a total idiot and the mech being bizarrely limited to absolutely no ranged weaponry. It's a very workman like approach to portraying tactical battles. I mean as show I'm following right now called Fang of The Sun Dougram has very tactical battles, no mechs with impractical abilities, no special powers, and most importantly a really great and interesting cast of characters and isn't trying so hard to impress you in a display of all of this, it just kind of does it.

This show so far is just kind of like poor mans Gundam.
Jul 19, 2014 10:27 PM

Jan 2013
And Arge is totally fine and and no problems are seen and protag has rooms for development. lelz.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 19, 2014 10:28 PM
Oct 2010
I'll say it again, she better contact the martian forces now that L-elf found her. I really cannot see any reason she would not do so and count cruhteo is down there to boot.
Jul 19, 2014 10:32 PM

Jan 2014
I like how it was won by strategy rather than beat em up.

Surprised that it's only rated 7.86 atm.
Jul 19, 2014 10:33 PM

Sep 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
JizzyHitler said:

I know what it's going for but so far it doesn't do a very good job at it since the characters basically suck and the mecha designs themselves are self-defeating. This episode was basically the show trying to go "see we have tactics" but the fight was actually just pretty one sided and reliant on the enemy pilot being a total idiot and the mech being bizarrely limited to absolutely no ranged weaponry. It's a very workman like approach to portraying tactical battles. I mean as show I'm following right now called Fang of The Sun Dougram has very tactical battles, no mechs with impractical abilities, no special powers, and most importantly a really great and interesting cast of characters and isn't trying so hard to impress you in a display of all of this, it just kind of does it.

I have to disagree almost entirely, especially on the gundam front, it feels more like its trying to be the antithesis to gundam which is a pretty welcoming thing cause competition is the best thing for moving a stagnant genre. The only tie id see to gundam would be this feels like we are watching a gundam series but the good guys are in zaku's going up against the gundam. Even if the enemy in question was a fool he was still a threat to be reckoned with and was able to single handidly slaughter ace pilots. Its power had to do with the overpowered abilities the mech possessed and thats what the tactics was truly battling.

Not to mention theres a reason he was killed off so early, hes a small fry, the point the show is clearly making with him is to express just how powerful the aldnoah power is, if an idiot like him could do this much damage just how much damage a competent pilot can do. It took an entire coordinated squad using careful planning and life threatening risks to take down a single mech controlled by said idiot. Its a subtle hint at the seemingly hopeless situation they are going up against, Its kind of similar to episode 4 of knights of sidonia which really sold through just how powerful the gauna are by having so much damage be done by what is merely the most basic type of gauna. It really sells the threat.

I also think you may be under selling the tactics here, theres actual intuition and logical conclusions made by characters observing how the battles have gone in a way to plan the strategy to tackle the next threat.

My only big issue is that the villains are hurr durr im evil like zeta gundam's titans and buddy complex's zogillia, which is one of my biggest pet peeves, so hopefully theres some more decent human beings on the martian side as the series goes on, but it looks like its gonna be the zeta gundam route where any decent human beings on the antagonists army will switch sides while the evil douches will stay.
JizzyHitlerJul 19, 2014 10:36 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 19, 2014 10:34 PM
Jun 2014
That was very enjoyable. The science was not correct at all, but that's not really important. Just like the movie Looper, yeah the science isn't right but that's not what's it's for. The science/mechanics of the way the mechs work was just a means to get the action going. If it sticks to this kind of format, I will enjoy the series. My only fear is if it tries to take itself too seriously like other Urobuchi animes in the past. I think people expecting this anime to be anything more than the action mech anime that it is are going to find themselves disappointed.

Also the OST is awesome.
Jul 19, 2014 10:38 PM

Aug 2013
Keten said:
Ya, this episode was much better than the last one, might keep watching after all. I still have quite a lot of problems with it though.

At least Inaho seems to have shown some form of emotion, he smiled twice and said he had fear, (Even though saying it doesn't really mean anything when you very clearly don't have any fear that I can see in your face or actions.) Really hope he gets more expressive later on but I do think he is just going to be that boring character who is not very expressive and just does badass things and is super smart because why not. Also, why did he feel the need to explain how he outsmarted the enemy? Just kill the guy already, you don't need to have a speech about it.

Action was better this time around, but honestly to me it made no sense. Does Inaho just take classes in mechanics, military strategy, theoretical physics and mecha piloting? Does everyone? He's in bloody high school for crying out loud. Yet he outsmarts these trained professionals with a strategy he came up with practically alone with minimum resources in the time of like 5 hours? Lmao. At least they showed most of the process though.

Uhh.. no.. You can't just hang out the side of a truck with a heavy weapon and fire it with no backlash... Her extremely thin wrist should be broken, that's a nitpick though. It's not like I expected much realism at this point anyway.

Love how the girl is like "Wow, you care about people? I am totally interested in you." lol, does she never meet anyone who wants to save people that were forgotten?

Villains are still just a bunch of Super-Nazi's except for Slaine.

All in all, it was alright though. This is more like what I was expecting to me honest, it focused more on the characters(even if there was no actual development) and strategy rather than simple and boring one-sided action. Though honestly this was also one sided to a degree because somehow Inaho is this super-genius mecha piloting expert because why not. Music was better placed throughout the episode, thought it was a big messy the previous one. Animation appeared better for the most part, CG is still So-So, but not bad.

2.5/5

I don't understand...all you did was bitch about every little thing...then rated it a 2.5, but you'll continue to watch. Are you a masochist? And a self made one at that?
Jul 19, 2014 10:38 PM
Nov 2009
NwAurion said:
I don't think the martian mech was armored. Metal != armor, and it might not have been metal in the first place. Not that it makes a difference, given that we don't know what kind of materials the martians possess. But given the inconvenience the barrier did possess, i believe Trillram would have dropped it or not used it in the first place if the mech was supposed to have good armor.

It didn't sink when it hit the water, so one can assume that whatever metal it was made of was buoyant and thus not very dense. You don't really need heavy armour for your mech when you've got a magic invincibility shield so I imagine they didn't bother much with it.
Jul 19, 2014 10:43 PM

Aug 2013
Now THAT was good episode. Despite Inaho still being the definition of bland, we got to see some genius out of him. New about the cameras. New that the mech couldn't use the field on its feet, and new that constantly absorbing material across its entire body would reveal a weak spot.

OST was legit as always. Perfect songs at perfect moments.

That one girls name though in the beginning... Dalmerade memeragde akjlkahthtjka. fuck. that. noise. Just gonna call her Sarah from now on.

Seeing the princess in princess form again was awesome. Using some Martian cloak tech or something. Now everyone there knows about her.

Trillram got ramrodded by Slaine there at the end. As soon as Trillram said he would kill the princess I was like "please Slaine fuck this guys day up", and he absolutely delivered.

Please keep this awesomeness going.
Jul 19, 2014 10:45 PM

Mar 2013
Keten said:
Action was better this time around, but honestly to me it made no sense. Does Inaho just take classes in mechanics, military strategy, theoretical physics and mecha piloting? Does everyone? He's in bloody high school for crying out loud. Yet he outsmarts these trained professionals with a strategy he came up with practically alone with minimum resources in the time of like 5 hours? Lmao. At least they showed most of the process though.

I'm not going to dignify the rest of that post with a response, but it is really not that much of a stretch to have knowledge of theoretical physics in high school. Just because you lack the interest/initiative/intelligence to learn about these kinds of things on your own doesn't mean everybody is like that.

Naelok said:
NwAurion said:

It didn't sink when it hit the water, so one can assume that whatever metal it was made of was buoyant and thus not very dense. You don't really need heavy armour for your mech when you've got a magic invincibility shield so I imagine they didn't bother much with it.

It did sink. The river just wasn't that deep.
fstJul 19, 2014 10:54 PM
Jul 19, 2014 10:47 PM

Oct 2007
JizzyHitler said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I have to disagree almost entirely, especially on the gundam front, it feels more like its trying to be the antithesis to gundam which is a pretty welcoming thing cause competition is the best thing for moving a stagnant genre. The only tie id see to gundam would be this feels like we are watching a gundam series but the good guys are in zaku's going up against the gundam. Even if the enemy in question was a fool he was still a threat to be reckoned with and was able to single handidly slaughter ace pilots. Its power had to do with the overpowered abilities the mech possessed and thats what the tactics was truly battling.

Not to mention theres a reason he was killed off so early, hes a small fry, the point the show is clearly making with him is to express just how powerful the aldnoah power is, if an idiot like him could do this much damage just how much damage a competent pilot can do. It took an entire coordinated squad using careful planning and life threatening risks to take down a single mech controlled by said idiot. Its a subtle hint at the seemingly hopeless situation they are going up against, Its kind of similar to episode 4 of knights of sidonia which really sold through just how powerful the gauna are by having so much damage be done by what is merely the most basic type of gauna. It really sells the threat.

I also think you may be under selling the tactics here, theres actual intuition and logical conclusions made by characters observing how the battles have gone in a way to plan the strategy to tackle the next threat.

My only big issue is that the villains are hurr durr im evil like zeta gundam's titans and buddy complex's zogillia, which is one of my biggest pet peeves, so hopefully theres some more decent human beings on the martian side as the series goes on, but it looks like its gonna be the zeta gundam route where any decent human beings on the antagonists army will switch sides while the evil douches will stay.

Well obviously Urobuchi is trying to go for his typical subversion gimmick like he usually does and is possibly only solely capable of but that doesn't make the show particularly remarkable in any way. He's still left the characters pretty much puppets of the plot and the shows goals of subversion and trying to show you how clever it is like he usually does and not really paying much attention to that aspect and honestly it's the good interesting characters as much as attempts at realism that makes the better real robot shows for me. So far I'm not sure I'd give Aldnoah.Zero either. There's a lot of contrivances in the way that the mecha are designed that don't make particular tactical sense in order for the show to attempt to showcase some other example of what it sees as clever military tactics being employed.

Like it's serviceable but far from the best I've seen the whole tactics thing done in mecha anime by a long shot.

DawnJ said:
And Arge is totally fine and and no problems are seen and protag has rooms for development. lelz.

Do you plain on offering anything other than baiting posts?
Jul 19, 2014 10:53 PM

Aug 2013
fst said:
Jonesy974 said:

I'm not going to dignify the rest of that post with a response, but it is really not that much of a stretch to have knowledge of theoretical physics in high school. Just because you lack the interest/initiative/intelligence to learn about these kinds of things on your own doesn't mean everybody is like that.

What what the hell? why does that say you quoted that from me? Lol I'm from the U.S. "bloody high school" would never come out of my mouth.

Naelok said:
NwAurion said:

It didn't sink when it hit the water because the water wasn't 50 ft deep right below the bridge? Don't think it has anything to do with buoyancy whatsoever. And just to further prove that, the human made mech was springing through the water.

Mod Edit: Merged double post. Please edit your previous post
TyrelJul 19, 2014 11:41 PM
Jul 19, 2014 10:54 PM

Apr 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Well obviously Urobuchi is trying to go for his typical subversion gimmick like he usually does.

Are you kidding me. I'm not an Urobuchi fan, but now if an anime tries something different it's a 'gimmick'? I'm not experienced with mechas by a long shot, but it looks like you have a predefined idea on what makes a 'good' mecha and Aldnoah doesn't agree with it.
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 19, 2014 10:56 PM

Sep 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
snip

Thats not a bait and switch though, thats basic storytelling, its really bad storytelling to start off with the worst threat from the get go and just have them defeated like nothing. It defeats makes it so theres no point. Besides urabuchi doesnt do bait and switches, its was pretty much just madoka episode 3 and that was it, psycho pass, fate/zero, requiem were all very straightforward shows about what they are from episode 1 as well as this, a bait and switch means a red herring followed by a shocking reveal. a decoy protagonist is a bait and switch, having a show start off with a weak antagonist and moving its way up its one of the most basic and necessary pieces of writing to tell a proper action story.

but where exactly are you getting that the characters are bad, we still know almost nothing about them and the few bits we have are really human like, even inaha which on the surface looks like an emotionless husk was accurately given human and genuine emotion through his dialogue and actions, specifically the scene of him talking about fear with his friend before the battle with the aldnoah mech. the realism in turn adds to the characters, in the case of gundam the realistic gundas such as war in the pocket, ms team, and even a certain extent the flawed igloo series had way more human feeling and likable characters than the super robot mainline series because they have to deal with the threat and consequences of war rather than be the ones dealing it. Characters having to fight a deadly threat that could kill them at any minute is way more interesting of a protagonist to follow then the one doing the deadly killing

Like i said in the last post with the zaku vs gundam statement. What i like about this is that we are seeing a super robot show if the bad guys got the super robot and the protagonists were stuck with the throwaway grunt mechs. And judging by all the promotional artwork such as the one with the protagonists cleaning a mech, the basic grunt is the main mech of the series and inaha wont be getting any upgrades anytime soon.
JizzyHitlerJul 19, 2014 10:59 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 19, 2014 11:07 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah, stretch my "baiting" post into two or three paragraphs and it becomes just as yours. I hope you do the lengthy post with actual content other than bashing people like "those epic-fetish people cannot see the value." You *chose* to hate this show (also you chose a show you stick to for this season) and you're gonna stand firm till the end of the show, keeping mentioning mostly unrelated Urobuchi over and over while knowing almost nothing about him like others claiming "0h sh1t he's gonna kill characters soon!" Keep up the constructive debate people.

migohunter said:
Are you kidding me. I'm not an Urobuchi fan, but now if an anime tries something different it's a 'gimmick'? I'm not experienced with mechas by a long shot, but it looks like you have a predefined idea on what makes a 'good' mecha and Aldnoah doesn't agree with it.

Argevollen is his anime of the season. You might wanna check it out.
DawnJJul 19, 2014 11:11 PM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 19, 2014 11:09 PM

Apr 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Well obviously Urobuchi is trying to go for his typical subversion gimmick like he usually does and is possibly only solely capable of but that doesn't make the show particularly remarkable in any way. He's still left the characters pretty much puppets of the plot and the shows goals of subversion and trying to show you how clever it is like he usually does and not really paying much attention to that aspect and honestly it's the good interesting characters as much as attempts at realism that makes the better real robot shows for me.

Pretty interesting critique of Urobuchi's style.

It's the same thing I often think of George R.R. Martin, he's a master of "subversions" as well.
Jul 19, 2014 11:11 PM

Oct 2007
migohunter said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Well obviously Urobuchi is trying to go for his typical subversion gimmick like he usually does.

It's not anything different or new for mecha anime or game culture though is the thing, people just seem to think that way because the shows promotion basically wants you to think as such. I think they know that a lot of people have this misguided idea of what mecha anime is like based on some recent duds and are exploiting that well. Its amusing because not even a season ago we got Knights of Sidonia which is the complete package when it comes to everything I've mentioned I look for in a good mecha anime but which few people watched because it didn't have the big names behind it.

I don't think the show is particularly bad but I can see right through everything that its trying to exploit because the promotion for the show keeps hyping what its going to do. Its honestly been terrible in that regard in particular.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
TyrelJul 19, 2014 11:42 PM
Pages (15) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Yesterday, 2:10 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

719 by Softhenic03 »»
Yesterday, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2014

433 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2014

533 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

470 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 12:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.